1.    #1  
    I'm sure I'm asking for some flak by posting this thread, but I can't help myself. Maybe there are some less vocal folks out there that can relate to my thoughts about the 680.

My 650 is in my drawer while I've spent a couple weeks breaking in my 680. Although I enjoy the form factor and increased memory of the 680, I'm having a tough time accepting the poor battery performance in comparison to my 650. I've tried all of the hocus-pocus techniques for improving my battery life, but my results are all over the map. One thing has remained consistent though --- even when everything is OFF, it loses power at a frightening rate. My 650 has been in the drawer for 2 weeks since I last topped it off, and guess what? It still reads 99% --- no drain.

I can live with needing to recharge my 680 on a daily basis. I've been doing that with my 650 for about a year now. What frightens me is that if I'm away from a charger and wish to conserve battery time, well... good luck! It seems that my 680 needs to draw constant power to remain visible or something. If I let the battery die will it disintegrate? I can't explain why it constantly draws power and I'm sure a call to Palm will be wasted breath --- I'm sure any of you have discovered that you probably know more about your Palm device than anyone at Palm tech support.

I have a very hard time plunking down my $400 for a device that has given and taken away at the same time (some improvements over the 650, yet some features and functionality taken away... the devil is in the details, right?).

Bottom line: I LOVE having the latest and greatest thing. Now that I do... I'm not so sure it was worth the "upgrade". I realize that others (maybe even most of you) are perfectly happy with your 680. If you are happy with it, great. Me, on the other hand... I'm tired already of trying to convince myself that the 680 is a vast improvement over the 650. I have decided to return my 680, bring my 650 out of retirement, then let Palm make the next move --- maybe a firmware update will remove my discontent and I'll reclaim a new 680. Until then... I'm looking forward to my $400 refund.
    Sad indeed! I bought two 680s and returned them. I want to have this device work for me. It is so attractive. But function comes before form. Perhaps and ROM update will fix some of the issues.
    David
    I agree with you totally. I have to have a reliabe unit that won't fail on me. Palm has not had a very positive response to my problems except to send me a second phone.

One question, you say you charge your 650 daily. Do you need to, or are you just doing that? If you have to do that, you could run into the same problem that you would with a 680, needing to have access to a charger. My 650 can go several days between charges.

Did the second phone that Palm sent you exhibit the same issues as the first?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    I agree with you totally. I have to have a reliabe unit that won't fail on me. Palm has not had a very positive response to my problems except to send me a second phone.

One question, you say you charge your 650 daily. Do you need to, or are you just doing that? If you have to do that, you could run into the same problem that you would with a 680, needing to have access to a charger. My 650 can go several days between charges.

I have always topped off my 650 daily, needed or not. I have skipped a few days here and there and am able to get at least 2 days out of one charge without worrying. I couldn't do this with the 680.

However, as I posted in another thread, I'm giving my 680 one more chance with a new 3G SIM card in it. So far, it seems to be doing better. I've got it fully charged now and am going to let it sit overnight and see if it leaks any juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post

My two 680s were bought at the same time. Two different users in the same household. Both had the same battery life issue. One of them created problems for the Exchange Server. Too bad, because I really had hopes for the phone.
    David
  7.    #7  
    I'm not sure if it's the SIM card (disclaimer: NOT a scientific study, try this at home for yourself, etc.), but last night, with a 3G SIM card in my 680 and after a full charge, I took it off the charger and, of course, my 680 registered 99% (why it never says 100% right off the charger, I'll never know).

I have BatteryGraph installed --- radio OFF --- after sitting on my nightstand overnight, I turned it on and it still showed 99%. This is a big improvement when, before replacing the SIM, I could expect a 10-15% loss of juice overnight while sitting on my nightstand doing absolutely nothing.

Also, BatteryGraph shows only 13 events in the database (most of those me turning the phone on and off, I hope). Maybe listing all of my apps I have installed will help? I have lots of stuff crammed on there, but here goes:

4cast (great program, especially if you want to get disconnected because it can do it for you instead of going into Prefs, etc.)
    AckAck Attack, Agents Z and Z2, Aggression, Aldon, AutoBase, BatteryGraph, BDicty, Bejeweled, Bike or Die, BlackJack, CallRec, Card Export, Checkbook, ChopRescue, Cleanup, Darts Deluxe, Dartz, DateBk6, DevilHouse, DigDug, Docs2Go, eReader, ezReset, F1Sprint, FileZ, Galaga, GrandSlam, Hearts, Texas Hold'em, Island Hopper, Jetman, Joust, KBLightsOff, LJP, MDesailly, MHeroes, Monopoly, netClock, NotePad, PacDude, Par 3 Golf, Payoff Plus, PilotMines, Planet Lander, PowerRUN, pTunes, Ringo, Resco Backup, Mark My Scriptures, Scud Attack, Snorgg, Snow Bob, Solitaire, Space Trader, Spy Hunter, Strategic Commander, TCPMP, TealScript, TimeCopy, TimeWhiz, Undupe, Uninstall, Volleyball, VolumeCare, Warefare Inc, WPM, Yahdice, and (whew!) YourCall. (I like games, what can I say).

I suppose the good news is that, with SO MANY programs on my 680, nothing on this list seems to be drawing power when my 680 is off. I hope this information helps someone. I am encouraged enough after using the 3G SIM card that I may just keep this little 680 after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    Exactly the same. I initially called asking for a new battery thinking that was the problem. (That was before I found out about the issues discussed here). I called the non-800 tech support line and asked for help. The person in India suggested cold reset, etc. etc. and then said the phone had a problem and I needed to send it in. I said and if that was the case I would send the phone back. They transferred me to customer service where my call was promptly droppped.

I then called the 800# customer service to request an RMA# and got a US operator. When she asked why I wanted to send the phone back I told her. She said they could send a battery no problem. Then she asked if I wanted a new phone. I said no just a battery. But they sent a phone anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Bri Guy View Post
    I'm not sure if it's the SIM card (disclaimer: NOT a scientific study, try this at home for yourself, etc.), but last night, with a 3G SIM card in my 680 and after a full charge, I took it off the charger and, of course, my 680 registered 99% (why it never says 100% right off the charger, I'll never know).

I have BatteryGraph installed --- radio OFF --- after sitting on my nightstand overnight, I turned it on and it still showed 99%. This is a big improvement when, before replacing the SIM, I could expect a 10-15% loss of juice overnight while sitting on my nightstand doing absolutely nothing.

Also, BatteryGraph shows only 13 events in the database (most of those me turning the phone on and off, I hope).

I suppose the good news is that, with SO MANY programs on my 680, nothing on this list seems to be drawing power when my 680 is off. I hope this information helps someone. I am encouraged enough after using the 3G SIM card that I may just keep this little 680 after all.
    I think you may be on to something with this. I have one of the 680's that I have just sitting here. I fully charged it but have not inserted the T-Mobile SIM card. After an hour, it shows 99% charge, and only 81 database events. I'm going to leave it for a few days and see what happens. It would be a bummer if the SIM card is causing the problems. T-Mobile would not be of any help since they don't support the 680.

BTW, the reason we probably never see 100% without the charger is that the minute you disconnect from it and the battery kicks in, it starts discharging. My guess is that since it is discharging, the programmers feel that it is no longer at 100%. It may be 99.99999% charged, but it is 100%, and that is why they display what they do. Only a guess.

I think I'm going to be sending mine back. The biggest issues are the phone quality is really fuzzy. I'm surprised how bad it is compared to all the hype. Reception (signal strength) seems good but the phone quality is worse than anything else I've tried with the same sim.

I can live with short battery life, but there's some weird drain going on. Most days if I leave the phone part off, overnight it will drain significantly (like down to 60%). One night it went down to 20% from a full charge. This is with the phone off and nothing running. Today I was looking at it after a hard reset, no sim in it, and the phone part off. Every now and then the LED was giving a brief short red pulse. There's something wrong here. I hate to give up on Palm OS, but I think this is it. With all the random annoying problems I saw on the 700p I think I'm done for a while.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    For those who want to send a message to Palm, the only way to go is to return the phone and notify them that you're using someone else's device and won't be likely to return to them after this.

Maybe if enough business is lost, they'll think it out better next time before releasing it. But that's (a) marginally likely, and (b) thin satisfaction to a person who really wants a Treo.

Bummer that they think so little of the marketplace that this is the best they can do with two years work. Apple could quadruple their stock price with a killer phone early next year, but it'll probably have 30G of U2 and no calendar. Yea, verily, it is a dark and desolate hour...
    Brian
    before i send mine back i'd love to try out a cingular treo 750....unfortunately the day counter is ticking and i think it's going to be close.

one thing is certain: it's sure a lot more stable than my old 700w!!! screen res is a nice bonus too.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post

I can live with short battery life, but there's some weird drain going on. Most days if I leave the phone part off, overnight it will drain significantly (like down to 60%). One night it went down to 20% from a full charge. This is with the phone off and nothing running. Today I was looking at it after a hard reset, no sim in it, and the phone part off. Every now and then the LED was giving a brief short red pulse. There's something wrong here. I hate to give up on Palm OS, but I think this is it. With all the random annoying problems I saw on the 700p I think I'm done for a while.
    Make sure your phone is turned off (by using the red power off button). I had no SIM in but the phone was on and I had the blinking red light. With the phone turned off, the red light went away.

The phone was off, I know how to do that. It wasn't the standard blink, it was a very faint blink about 1/2 the duration of a normal blink that seems to occur every 10 seconds or so.

The 680 is all boxed up, just waiting for shipping places to open on Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    Make sure your phone is turned off (by using the red power off button). I had no SIM in but the phone was on and I had the blinking red light. With the phone turned off, the red light went away.

Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I won't send it back. Yes, I wish it had several different features (better battery life, soft touch black paint like my Black Tie 650, a flashing LED, the old phone app) but the bottom line is that with the increased memory, it is much more stable than my 650 was. I can easily carry an extra battery so it's no big deal. I was about to go the WM route with the 750v but three things kept me away. First, I couldn't find an e-mail app that let me manage my IMAP e-mail like Chatter. Second, like bcaslis, I developed BT problems with my BT car kit (Parrot 3100). No contacts and I couldn't answer, make or end calls with the car kit. Basically, it worked as a dumb speakerphone only. But, the end of the line is that my IT people called me to tell me to stop using it since the GoodLink client on it was bringing down the servers. (The servers were trying to push an older version to me which I rejected.) I'm sure the 750v will be supported in due course, but I had to abandon it immediately and the 680 was a better choice than my 650. I wish it had 3G but let me tell you, 3G on the 750v is nothing great because of the latency delays and the length of time it takes to establish a data conenction. Both will probably be fixed in the Cingular version.