Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The Aliph Jawbone is supposed to be available at Cingular in silver for $120. I think I remember reading it's 14 grams. Can anybody confirm that? It has a USB charger, 6 hours talk time, BT 1.2 compliant, and a noise canceling switch. It uses an earhook.

The Nextlink Invisio Q7 is supposed to be available soon from RadioShack for $200. It weighs 11 grams, USB charger, 5 hours talk time, BT 1.2 compliant, and bone conduction technology that cuts down wind and noise. Its an in-ear type like the AX2. Has anybody heard when it will be available for sale?

The Boom Bluetooth is more of a mystery. Any updates on this one?

I'd like to try one of these with a 650.
    Treo 650 on Sprint / Palm Case / 1 GB SanDisk Ultra II SD Card
    Quote Originally Posted by azxcpt View Post
    The Aliph Jawbone is supposed to be available at Cingular in silver for $120. I think I remember reading it's 14 grams. Can anybody confirm that? It has a USB charger, 6 hours talk time, BT 1.2 compliant, and a noise canceling switch. It uses an earhook.

The Nextlink Invisio Q7 is supposed to be available soon from RadioShack for $200. It weighs 11 grams, USB charger, 5 hours talk time, BT 1.2 compliant, and bone conduction technology that cuts down wind and noise. Its an in-ear type like the AX2. Has anybody heard when it will be available for sale?

The Boom Bluetooth is more of a mystery. Any updates on this one?

I'd like to try one of these with a 650.
    Got aliph jawbone for 119.00 + tax. It is 14 grams. And it is best of the best bluetooth headset. Actually it is almost (actually more than almost) better than theboom wired headset. Now that is what I always wanted from a wireless headset since my first headset.

My friend could only hear me when my subwoofer is banging my whole car. And he didnt even knew there was music even playing. Now this is excellent sound cancelleing.
    Anyways... drawback is you still cant hear other party very good. I mean I can in normal situations but cant hear anything when my car stereo is blasting full or I am in club. I think if there is any kind of in-ear loop that can fit on this headset, it might be best headset yet!!
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    There are a few interesting bluetooth headsets coming to market soon! I'm highly interested to see if Nextlink's INVISIO has the tech to make your voice sound like your real voice, as the Aliph's demonstration proved that the Bone Conduction technology can make your voice sound tinny. Their sight doesnt specify Bone Conduction technology, so maybe it is just DSP.

Other interesting entries...The Joby-Boom(joby.com, even though the website mentions nothing of this product) and the X-Sport BTH-11. The market is starting to heat up!!
    just an update. Jabra eargel works perfect. After putting it on jawbone, I can now hear party on other side in very abnormal situation lie club or though airport announcements. As far as outging voice quality, it was already great. And now Aliph Jawbone is the best headset I ever had. I can even amaze my friends. Very very satisfied.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    I found the Aliph Jawbone to be junk. It\'s a DSP headset, not jawbone. Jabra eargels also do not work unless your face is REALLY fat. They move the headset further away from your face and don\'t let the sensor touch your cheek. Without the sensor touching your cheek at all times (not very comfortable), the other end hears clipping because the DSP doesn\'t turn off in time.

Don\'t waste your money on this one.
    Since you can buy in brick cingular store, i would like people to give it a try. Its very comfortable for me. I actually had issues with invisio wired jawbone headset (i dont actually know what its called). In-ear design was very painful to slide inside your ear and unless it goes in correctly, bone conduction technology doesnt work. So if that is the design invisio would use for their bluetooth headset, which in pictures on their site hints the same, it would be big NO for me.
    Personally I dont even feel plactic on my cheek. It suppose to touch and not press your cheek. And jabra and slicsound eargels are used by many members here and they like it a lot. It takes out earloop which is welcome change for people who wear glasses. Also I dont know why with the eargel your jawbone sensor wont TOUCH (again I must insist that its touch and not press to your cheek). I dont have any problem with the angle that headset touch my cheek.
    Again I must insist people feel this headset first themselves. If it doesnt workout for you, you can always return it to cingular shop. What u got to loose.
    I dont work for aliph but after years for perfect bluetooth headset quest if I find something to cheer for, I would like to share it with other treo users.

I tried it. It sucked. The Jabra eargels wouldn\'t work because my cheeks don\'t stick out far enough for the sensor to touch when I used an eargel. Good thing Cingular gives you 30 days to try it out. I didn\'t need anywhere near that long to return mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    I found the Aliph Jawbone to be junk. It\'s a DSP headset, not jawbone. Jabra eargels also do not work unless your face is REALLY fat. They move the headset further away from your face and don\'t let the sensor touch your cheek. Without the sensor touching your cheek at all times (not very comfortable), the other end hears clipping because the DSP doesn\'t turn off in time.

Don\'t waste your money on this one.
    I wonder if because the Jawbone uses a sensor, yet doesnt have Bone Conduction technology, that the sensor is to measure the audio frequency from your mouth to better determine which extraneous wavelengths to eliminate. That would allow DSP to work better, and would explain the clipping you get! I am still very interested in this headset, but can you comment about the functionality of the BT (i.e. Transfer lag, redial, Mute, Call waiting, Pairing)?
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    I wonder if because the Jawbone uses a sensor, yet doesnt have Bone Conduction technology, that the sensor is to measure the audio frequency from your mouth to better determine which extraneous wavelengths to eliminate. That would allow DSP to work better, and would explain the clipping you get! I am still very interested in this headset, but can you comment about the functionality of the BT (i.e. Transfer lag, redial, Mute, Call waiting, Pairing)?
    I am using treo 680 so features might not work with other treos.
    Transfer is very quick, i would say a second. On treo680 and 700p bluetooth headset is on standby and not disconnected so transfer is mere second.

Redial feature on headset didnt work for me for either treo (treo700p, treo680).

As far as I could research, there is no mute option on headset itself.

Call waiting ring will ring on headset (didnt test if pushing talk button will switch between calls or not).

Pairing with treo700p and treo680 was a breeze. Also after pairing with both treos, I could connect either one with the jawbone by turning one off.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan View Post
    I am using treo 680 so features might not work with other treos.
    Transfer is very quick, i would say a second. On treo680 and 700p bluetooth headset is on standby and not disconnected so transfer is mere second.

Redial feature on headset didnt work for me for either treo (treo700p, treo680).

As far as I could research, there is no mute option on headset itself.

Call waiting ring will ring on headset (didnt test if pushing talk button will switch between calls or not).

Pairing with treo700p and treo680 was a breeze. Also after pairing with both treos, I could connect either one with the jawbone by turning one off.

Hope this helps.
    No redial...?! Well, until the Treo supports VoiceDailing via bluetooth, I guess I will still have to initiate calls through my 700p! Most headsets can initiate a headset Mute, like the old trusty-dusty TWH. I use that quite a bit. Is the DSP something you can turn on and off via a switch or something?
    No redial...?! Well, until the Treo supports VoiceDailing via bluetooth, I guess I will still have to initiate calls through my 700p! Most headsets can initiate a headset Mute, like the old trusty-dusty TWH. I use that quite a bit. Is the DSP something you can turn on and off via a switch or something?
    no switch but there is hidden buttons under plastic cover. Under black (small portion) of cover is noise shield button. Pushing it for 3 seconds while on call will disable (see i wrote disable because anytime jawbone comes out of standby mode/switched on/transfered call, it will activate noise shield by default) noise shield. To re-enable you have to press and hold for more than 3 seconds again.
    Also while turning on/off noise shield you will hear ascending (when turning on) and descending (when turning off) tune so you would know it is active or not. Also just pushing noise shield button will increase volume in your headset (keep on pressing with slight delay and repeat will keep increasing volume untill full).
    Same noise cancelling button is pairing button. To activate jawbone should be turned off and press and held for 3 seconds.
    Hope this helps.

Also voice dialing feature is on jawbone but as you say treos yet to have this feature on palm OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan View Post
    Also voice dialing feature is on jawbone but as you say treos yet to have this feature on palm OS.
    You mentioned that there were more buttons under a plastic cover....what do they do?
    No, that\'s not it. The sensor just picks up your beginning to speak and turns the DSP down. If the sensor doesn\'t stay in contact with the side of your face the entire time, your voice starts cutting out on the other end.

I found that it didn\'t work too well for normal conversations. Doing an advertising video where you speak continuously is one thing, but normal speech is something else. Small little affirmations, noises, chuckles, etc are lost when the DSP is over-active and you\'re in a noisy environment.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    No, that\'s not it. The sensor just picks up your beginning to speak and turns the DSP down. If the sensor doesn\'t stay in contact with the side of your face the entire time, your voice starts cutting out on the other end.

I found that it didn\'t work too well for normal conversations. Doing an advertising video where you speak continuously is one thing, but normal speech is something else. Small little affirmations, noises, chuckles, etc are lost when the DSP is over-active and you\'re in a noisy environment.
    It doesnt make sense that they would utilize a sensor just to turn on/off the DSP. If it can sense when it needs to be turned on (by detecting the voice signals from your jaw), then why wouldnt it use the same technology to focus on that wavelength?
    And why would it cut your voice if the headset still works without the DSP (since it is defeatable)? If the sensor acts as you say, then if it didnt touch your skin, it would just revert to normal mode w/o DSP, allowing more ambient noise.
    It uses your cheek/jawbone to distinguish your voice from the other sounds around you.

My other thoughts follow, copied/pasted from the other thread:

"The online write-ups I've seen say it was to be released on the 21st, which was Thursday.

It can be charged through the wall adapter or through the usb port of a computer - not Bluetooth.

I got it, today and have been very pleased. Gonna write a review soon, but the speaker volume was exceptional; I had to turn it all the way down keep from being blasted by my girlfriend's soft voice. I talked to a couple different people while I was in a noisy comic shop (right next to the register), on the median outside "in" traffic, in the men's restroom at the mall, in the food court of the mall, and other places, and the callers consistently said they couldn't or could just BARELY hear the stuff around me.

The instruction booklet said that noise cancellation can be turned off, which I like. Dunno how often I'd WANT the other person to hear music and stuff around me, but it could happen.

Also, the instructions say that a certain part of the device must be against your cheek for the caller to hear you properly (I assume this is only true when noise cancellation is engaged), but I didn't find this difficult, at all. I simply wore it as I normally would.

The device fit comfortably and was quite light.

I used it with my Treo 650.
    "
    west3man,

How many buttons are there and do you have the ear loop or did you opt for the ear inserts (to my understanding, there are optional ear inserts to bypass the loop)?
    west3man,

How many buttons are there and do you have the ear loop or did you opt for the ear inserts (to my understanding, there are optional ear inserts to bypass the loop)?
    Two buttons, per se. I'm not fond of them (though that may change as I get used to them).

The ear loops and inserts are plentiful and all are included. So far, I've only used the loop, which I thought would be preferable over time.

I hope that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Two buttons, per se. I'm not fond of them (though that may change as I get used to them).

The ear loops and inserts are plentiful and all are included. So far, I've only used the loop, which I thought would be preferable over time.

I hope that helps.
    That does. Glad to know those options are included in such a pricey model!

One button enables/disables the DSP, Pairs the device, and controls the volume (per Eshan). What does the 2nd button do?
Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast