Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    I was saying that pure information is what we need, but most of the reviewers have given us their interpretations of this information. Instead of saying the headset has a half-second clipping in an envrionment of direct wind hitgh pitched noises, they are saying that the headset isnt working because the clipping is horrible. They are interpreting the cirmcumstances in which they are testing the equipment for us, instead of giving the raw data.
    Ahh. True enough.

I think the recent poster who performed all those tests was a great example of how to provide the most useful information. I can see the flaws in my own reviews, as a result, so I'm trying to learn from him/her, too.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Global Posts
    738 Global Posts
    I picked up the Aliph Jawbone headset the other day and here's my opnion on the headset.

Size/Fit - I know some folks have mentioned its big, and has some weight to it, I actually like the size and weight of this. It feels better to me when I'm wearing it. It feels solid to me, and I have no problem putting the headset on or off (even when wearing glasses). I agree the looks of the unit could have been improved.

Charging - I like the charger options that this comes with. USB cable that can plug into the wall as well. When putting the headset onto the charger it fits nice and snug and isn't a pain to connect or disconnect.

Sound - Ok, so here is where it gets a bit diecy. I've done some test leaving myself messages with the radio one and some other noise. The noise shield (or whatever its called) seems to work to take some of the noise out. I don't think its as drastic as the demo on the website, but it does take some of the background noise out. So I'm happy with the fact it filters some of the noise, and it seems to do a better job then the other headsets I've used. I personally haven't noticed it clipping any parts of the conversation. Folks I've talked to seem to have no issue hearing me either, so it seems to work well.

My take on the whole noise thing is this: If the background noise is so loud what am I doing on the phone in the first place? Afterall, I have another ear that will still need to listen to the blaring noise! So what if a headset filters out all the noise, I still need HEAR the other person, and if its that loud I think it will be too much of a distraction for my other ear to talk. So I'm happy with how much this filters the noise. I know always seems to be better, but for me right now this fits the need.

Pairing/Connection (on a 700P) My experience with this headset staying connected has been the BEST of any BT headset I've used with my 700P. I've used a lot of headsets that others have good luck with and always seem to deal with it disconnecting. This includes the recent WEP-200 and LG-730 which folks seem to have good luck with. The Jawbone seems to stay connected the best with my 700P, which to me makes the headset worth the money.

Overally I'm impressed with this headset. I think its worth money. I don't know about all the fancy technology of adjusting volume etc. I do know it works for me, and stays connected the best of any BT headset I've used. Which is great considering the poor BT on the Treo 700P.
    Last edited by Jbcellular; 01/11/2007 at 07:31 PM.
    Good review. The Jawbone is too quiet to use in noisy environments. We need to find some eargels that fit it because they should boost the volume a good amount.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Good review. The Jawbone is too quiet to use in noisy environments. We need to find some eargels that fit it because they should boost the volume a good amount.
    Sorry if you've already been asked this, but...

...have you tried adjusting the volume on the handset AND the headset?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Sorry if you've already been asked this, but...

...have you tried adjusting the volume on the handset AND the headset?
    Of course. It's way too quiet for loud environments.
    Of course. It's way too quiet for loud environments.
    Surprising. I tend to think it's my caller or his/her phone that's too quiet (when that happens) since I've been in a loud bar, with music blasting, and my caller heard nothing, but I was still able to hear my caller.

Otherwise, I figure it was too loud for a conversation, anyway.

Just my take. Obviously, you've gotta do what you feel is best for you.
  7.    #127  
    Interesting discussion going on about the Aliph Jawbone. So far I have not wanted to try one out. I have been patiently awaiting the debut of Nexlink's Invisio Q7. It's supposed to do well in windy conditions. I tried their AX2. On a positive note, their in-ear design was comfortable and secure. I don't really care for loops. At CES Samsung announced a Jawbone headset called the WEP400, due out first quarter 2007. It has the Nextlink earpiece identical to the Invisio Q7. Could Samsung and Nextlink be in partnership on this new headset?

http://www.hardwarezone.com/img/data...1010323-sm.jpg
    Treo 650 on Sprint / Palm Case / 1 GB SanDisk Ultra II SD Card
    Quote Originally Posted by azxcpt View Post
    Interesting discussion going on about the Aliph Jawbone. So far I have not wanted to try one out. I have been patiently awaiting the debut of Nexlink's Invisio Q7. It's supposed to do well in windy conditions. I tried their AX2. On a positive note, their in-ear design was comfortable and secure. I don't really care for loops. At CES Samsung announced a Jawbone headset called the WEP400, due out first quarter 2007. It has the Nextlink earpiece identical to the Invisio Q7. Could Samsung and Nextlink be in partnership on this new headset?

http://www.hardwarezone.com/img/data...1010323-sm.jpg
    Interesting. I guess we'll see how it goes.

For what it's worth, I've gotten very comfortable with "mounting" the headset on my ear. I can do it relatively quickly and easily, these days.

I doubt the following is a factor, but I switched out the somewhat "neutral" eargel for one of the pointed ones, so that it'll hold onto my ear a little bit more. Something about that design seems to be more comfortable, for me.

I plan to keep my Jawbone headset until I encounter something better. If this wind-resistant model is due out soon, I guess I'll give it a shot then sell this one, if necessary.

For now, I'm holdin' on to m'Bone.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    There are a bunch of DSP headsets out there! Plantronics 645 & 655, Jabra JX-10 to name a few. Jawbone uses a sensor to hone in more on your voice wavelengths than the pre-programmed maps of the aforementioned headsets. But this technology isnt the 'Bone Conduction' technology that pics up the sound waves that travels through your mouth.
    There are also the nxzen nx-600o which uses two mics to do the noise cancelling, and the new Plantronics 665 uses a DSP.
    Every pixel a picasso
    Dunno if I mentioned this before, but I've been impressed by the battery life of the 'Bone.

I've consistently forgotten to charge it over two or three days of travel and rather frequent and persistent usage. It continued to function.

On the third day, it finally started beeping at me (which I appreciate), but didn't croak. I chose to switch to my Bluetooth speakerphone, though, for the sake of my caller.
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    I found this review on the Jawbone on Cnet the other day. I have been using the JX-10 for a long time but I am getting tired of the pairing issues. Anyone besides Cingular selling this? It also looks like the Nokia BH-900 has had some excellent reviews. True dilemma!

http://reviews.cnet.com/Aliph_Jawbon...8.html?tag=sas
    Quote Originally Posted by wbwjr View Post
    I found this review on the Jawbone on Cnet the other day. I have been using the JX-10 for a long time but I am getting tired of the pairing issues. Anyone besides Cingular selling this? It also looks like the Nokia BH-900 has had some excellent reviews. True dilemma!

http://reviews.cnet.com/Aliph_Jawbon...8.html?tag=sas
    Took'em long enough. For a while, they only had the old wired version.

I'll check this out (although I've already committed). Thanks for the link.
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    Okay, So I've narrowed it down to the Jawbone BT and the Nokia BH-900. Somebody help me out here!
    Okay, So I've narrowed it down to the Jawbone BT and the Nokia BH-900. Somebody help me out here!
    I've never tried the BH-900.

Every alternative that I've checked out (via online research, usually) had something going against it or details were too vague.

Jawbone, for me.
    Okay, So I\'ve narrowed it down to the Jawbone BT and the Nokia BH-900. Somebody help me out here!
    Both are huge and uncomfortable but the BH900 is less unstable than the Jawbone. Volume is mediocre on each one but outgoing sound quality is better on the BH900. It puts the mic much closer to the source of the sound (your mouth) than the Jawbone does. The BH900 also doesn\'t need to be in constant contact with the side of your face in order to work properly. I found that the Jawbone played better with the 700p in terms of staying connected to the BT. Volume handling is better on the BH900.
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    Both are huge and uncomfortable but the BH900 is less unstable than the Jawbone. Volume is mediocre on each one but outgoing sound quality is better on the BH900. It puts the mic much closer to the source of the sound (your mouth) than the Jawbone does. The BH900 also doesn\'t need to be in constant contact with the side of your face in order to work properly. I found that the Jawbone played better with the 700p in terms of staying connected to the BT. Volume handling is better on the BH900.
    So, If I'm disappointed with the JX10 disconnecting all of the time and bluetooth shutting down (thanks Palm) , should I make the switch? It sounds like the Nokia still has some connection problems. Which one did you decide to keep?
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    After giving the Jawbone a true chance for about 25 days if finally went back a couple of weeks ago and I switched to the Plantronics Voyager 510. What a difference it made! The jawbone was very uncomfortable after wearing it; I know this has nothing to do with the sound quality but I wanted to add that to one of my disappointments. Also I was getting tired of people asking me to repeat myself because of the clipping. Also annoying was the Jawbone's volume constantly going up and down when I was outside; it seemed to be very very sensitive to even the most insignificant wind. Someone also asked me to disable the DSP, which made the clipping go away, but also made it so the Jawbone picked up all background noise.
    I've been very happy with the Plantronics, and my callers also thank me for getting rid of that "other" headset. For what the Jawbone costs I expected better. The Voyager can be found for less then half the price of the Jawbone and outperforms it.

My phone is a Treo 750, so it doesn't have the Bluetooth flaws (disconnect and pairing issues) that the PalmOS Treo's seem to have.

Regards.
    Last edited by mmereos; 02/06/2007 at 08:14 PM.
    The Jawbone is terribly uncomfortable and just plain huge. If you use DSP, you get clipping. Aliph talks a big game but they still use plain old DSP.

The best BT headsets use noise cancelling mics instead of relying on the DSP band-aid. Check out the 510. Even better is the AX2 Pro and the 510 Pro. You see the 510 Pro and AX2 Pro on Ebay from time to time or you can make your own.

Personally, I use a WEP200. Small, light, stays connected well, incredible range, no DSP.
    wbwjr, while I'm sure it goes without saying that much of this is subjective, I just want to point out that not everyone thinks the Jawbone sound quality is bad and we certainly don't find it terribly uncomfortable.

I've had plenty of headsets/earpieces and the Jawbone is as comfortable as most, if not all, of them.

For some folks, having the device against one's face is not a problem. It's not uncomfortable, imo. In fact, it feels more secure/physically stable.

I also don't think the Jawbone is "huge." Most Plantronics headsets I've seen are rather sizable, but they tend to loop most of their mass around the ear. If you could squeeze both devices into a ball, I doubt the Plantronics earpiece would be smaller - and I seriously doubt it would be lighter.

I guess I'd advise purchasing one of the devices, for yourself, then returning it if it doesn't suit your needs. Since, according to our board-mates, the Plantronics and other recently-mentioned headsets are less expensive than the Jawbone, it might be a good idea to start with them.

If they don't work out for you, maybe you could give the Jawbone a try. It may be kind of a hassle, I know, but you might decide you like the first one you try out.

Btw, someone mentioned "making" one of these devices for yourself. If they're talking about the one with the extended boom mic, that looks very delicate, to me. While some have complained about potential breakage due to storing the Jawbone in their pockets, I'd think such a delicate extension would be even more problematic.

I just flip the earloop on my Jawbone and slip it into my pockets. It's worked out well, for me.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    West3man,
    I agree that the Jawbone was not huge, and personally things that are bigger tend to work a little better because you have more room to put electronics in them. But I do think the Jawbone sounded very tinnie compared to other headsets. Could you live with it...? Sure, but I was so tired of the clipping, it just got annoying. What nxsprine stated is correct, if you want to do better noise cancellation, use 2 mics like the B&O does. Unfortunately I've not been able to test it and I still have an issues with the 425 price tag. And so far I've been very impressed with the Plantronics, it's big, but also very comfortable because it is well balanced on the ear.