Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcopperfield View Post
    personally, i dont care for this headset too much.

I have been using the hbh-610 and the noise cancellation works great.

I tried two different experiments in my car leaving myself messages @ home and the HBH did a better job of transmitting my voice (didnt sound as tinny as the Jawbone) and the background filtering was the same as the Jawbone.

I will be returning it tomorrow to Cingular.
    Ahhh Yes. Someone else that has an HBH-610. I'm very glad you did that comparison, because I have the same headset and very few people talk about it on this website. I think it's so far one of the best headsets I've tried. My biggest problem is that I go through earloops like crazy and I'm not a fan of ear-gels. What I would like to see is a comparison between the HBH-610a and the Bang and Olufsen, but thats a different topic all together.
    It may be worth it for me to try the Jawbone just for comparison since I can get it at a Cingular store, but at least now I know what to expect.
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    I bought the Jawbone last night to try and experiment also.
    My findings were a little different, but the Sony/Ericsson still ended up on top.
    I left myself voicemail while playing loud music in the background, so loud that I could not hear myself. Hands down the Jawbone was able to get rid of most of the background noise and my voice sounded cleaner then on the HBH-610a.

Now here is the negative and its is what makes this headset not very good for my use:

When talking on the phone with someone I kept cutting out depending on the background changes in noise or wind. My friend and I spent about an hour testing different scenarios where he was always on the other receiving end of the phone call. We determined that the Jawbone takes about a second to adjust to the background noises, but while it is doing that it cuts out what you are saying. So with the example with the loud music; since the music was constantly playing in the background there were no changes and the Jawbone adjusted and it was able to cut out most of that noise, while allowing your voice to be clean and pretty clear on the other end. Just like on the Jawbone website that shows the demo with the lawnmower and leafblower behind the guy. But let's say they cut off the lawnmower and leaf blower and then turn them on and off during the conversation! Then the Jawbone would be terrible because most of the conversation would be broken up, and the Jawbone would not be able to perform well at all.
    We determined that it operates in a single Duplex mode when it is doing this, which makes for the conversation somewhat unbearable for the person on the other end of the phone because it makes it seem as if you are in a bad cellphone spot.
    The same was with Wind noise. When I stepped outside of the house my voice would cut off when the wind started to hit the Jawbone Mike and then come back as the DSP adjusted. I would slowly turn around so that I was going with and then against the wind, and the person on the other line was having problems keeping up with what I was saying.
    Another test we did was have him count to TEN, and during 3,4,5,6 I would talk. With the Jawbone he could not make out what I was saying. With the HBH-610a he could make out what I was saying but it was not very clear, and with the TREO 680 by itself I was crystal clear .

As it's been said here before; Bluetooth headsets are not perfect, but so far from my testing the HBH-610a has not been beat by any headset out there. My criteria for testing is very simple Incoming and Outgoing, I'm not concerned about style, or fit, or comfort until after I have tested those two basic features of the headset, and if either of those fail then the headset fails the test and I move on. In this case it failed the outgoing voice quality test.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmereos View Post
    My findings were a little different, but the Sony/Ericsson still ended up on top.
    I left myself voicemail while playing loud music in the background, so loud that I could not hear myself. Hands down the Jawbone was able to get rid of most of the background noise and my voice sounded cleaner then on the HBH-610a.

Now here is the negative and its is what makes this headset not very good for my use:

When talking on the phone with someone I kept cutting out depending on the background changes in noise or wind. My friend and I spent about an hour testing different scenarios where he was always on the other receiving end of the phone call. We determined that the Jawbone takes about a second to adjust to the background noises, but while it is doing that it cuts out what you are saying. So with the example with the loud music; since the music was constantly playing in the background there were no changes and the Jawbone adjusted and it was able to cut out most of that noise, while allowing your voice to be clean and pretty clear on the other end. Just like on the Jawbone website that shows the demo with the lawnmower and leafblower behind the guy. But let's say they cut off the lawnmower and leaf blower and then turn them on and off during the conversation! Then the Jawbone would be terrible because most of the conversation would be broken up, and the Jawbone would not be able to perform well at all.
    We determined that it operates in a single Duplex mode when it is doing this, which makes for the conversation somewhat unbearable for the person on the other end of the phone because it makes it seem as if you are in a bad cellphone spot.
    The same was with Wind noise. When I stepped outside of the house my voice would cut off when the wind started to hit the Jawbone Mike and then come back as the DSP adjusted. I would slowly turn around so that I was going with and then against the wind, and the person on the other line was having problems keeping up with what I was saying.
    Another test we did was have him count to TEN, and during 3,4,5,6 I would talk. With the Jawbone he could not make out what I was saying. With the HBH-610a he could make out what I was saying but it was not very clear, and with the TREO 680 by itself I was crystal clear .

As it's been said here before; Bluetooth headsets are not perfect, but so far from my testing the HBH-610a has not been beat by any headset out there. My criteria for testing is very simple Incoming and Outgoing, I'm not concerned about style, or fit, or comfort until after I have tested those two basic features of the headset, and if either of those fail then the headset fails the test and I move on. In this case it failed the outgoing voice quality test.
    This information sets the bar of how people should test bluetooth headsets! Wonderful job!

I'm a little disappointed in the Jawbone's performance, and it looks as if this HBH-610 has the bar set high! If only it was more attractive...
    If you like the HBH-610, you'll love the Nokia BH-900.

Although the sony HBH-610 is good, it was not as good as the HBH-300, but that was discontinued and fell apart on me.

Noise cancellation on the Nokia BH-900 is excellent, I'm currently testing the Jawbone, and I'm still not 100% sure on it as I haven't made enough calls. It might be going back..

This, largely, reflects the results my girlfriend and I got when testing the Jawbone, last night. I was also able to "switch sides" and be the caller without the Jawbone. That allowed me to see what my callers experienced.

Testing was limited, but illuminating.

As the other poster said, sudden or intermittent sounds disrupted the call because the Jawbone needed time to adapt to the change, then filter the unwanted sound. Sometimes, this affected my ability to hear the Jawbone user. The effect was similar to that created by many speakerphones: the beginning of the user's statements is very briefly inaudible.

That's long enough for syllables to be missed. When the speaker pauses long enough between sentences, the beginning of the new statements was also cut off.

Continuous sounds, though, were screened out, very well. We didn't try any wind or higher-frequency sounds (like screaming little girls), though.

I'd love to know what would happen if the poster performed the same test with the HBH-610a.
    If this review is accurate, I wouldn't want to invest in the HBH-610a.

"So, how is the sound quality? It is a bit above average for a Bluetooth headset. On the receiving end, callers complained that my voice was too low and to compensate I had to speak pretty loudly. On my end I found the volume to be too low as well, even on maximum."

I wish it were more specific about various types of noise, but having to yell is a deal-breaker. Loud users are to-blame for the bad rep that mobile phone users have, these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    If this review is accurate, I wouldn't want to invest in the HBH-610a.

"So, how is the sound quality? It is a bit above average for a Bluetooth headset. On the receiving end, callers complained that my voice was too low and to compensate I had to speak pretty loudly. On my end I found the volume to be too low as well, even on maximum."

I wish it were more specific about various types of noise, but having to yell is a deal-breaker. Loud users are to-blame for the bad rep that mobile phone users have, these days.
    This, largely, reflects the results my girlfriend and I got when testing the Jawbone, last night. I was also able to "switch sides" and be the caller without the Jawbone. That allowed me to see what my callers experienced.

Testing was limited, but illuminating.

As the other poster said, sudden or intermittent sounds disrupted the call because the Jawbone needed time to adapt to the change, then filter the unwanted sound. Sometimes, this affected my ability to hear the Jawbone user. The effect was similar to that created by many speakerphones: the beginning of the user's statements is very briefly inaudible.

That's long enough for syllables to be missed. When the speaker pauses long enough between sentences, the beginning of the new statements was also cut off.

Continuous sounds, though, were screened out, very well. We didn't try any wind or higher-frequency sounds (like screaming little girls), though.

I'd love to know what would happen if the poster performed the same test with the HBH-610a.
    I agree! The Jawbone has taken a lot of heat, but this HBH-610(a?) cant be all that much better! It seems as though the Jawbone is being criticized for its superior noise cancellation, even if there is clipping. I guess it would be more advantageous for some clipping to occur than for my caller to hear the noise that the Jawbone 'has difficulties' filtering out. Not to mention, if I hear a loud sound, I would probably stop talking myself to see what it is (maybe a car screeching to a halt behind me)! And now that I am thinking about it, how many instances are you going to run into daily where high-pitched sounds and sudden bursts will be a factor? And how much time of your conversation is really going to be missed if it does clip?
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    I agree! The Jawbone has taken a lot of heat, but this HBH-610(a?) cant be all that much better! It seems as though the Jawbone is being criticized for its superior noise cancellation, even if there is clipping. I guess it would be more advantageous for some clipping to occur than for my caller to hear the noise that the Jawbone 'has difficulties' filtering out. Not to mention, if I hear a loud sound, I would probably stop talking myself to see what it is (maybe a car screeching to a halt behind me)! And now that I am thinking about it, how many instances are you going to run into daily where high-pitched sounds and sudden bursts will be a factor? And how much time of your conversation is really going to be missed if it does clip?
    Right. If the other devices don't perform any better in those exact same situations (or if we don't know, one way or the other), then I'd stick with my Jawbone.

As the poster said, nothing's perfect. I'm trying seriously minimize the amount of conversational impediments my callers have to suffer through.

I feel awful when something really loud interrupts the conversation, or worse, hurts the callers' ears.

The flipside of that coin is when one thinks the earpiece filters out noises that it doesn't. Then, one is likely, unknowingly, talk in areas where sound would be bothersome to the listener/caller.

Areas of false confidence should be identified so that users have realistic expectations for the device.
  9. nwr
    I have been using the Jawbone for 1 week now on the Treo 700p and so far this is the only bluetooth headset that has worked with the 700p without problems. I have used the Jx-10, LG 730, Samsung WEP 200,Plantronics 510 and 655, and various Motorolas and people said I sounded very distant on all of them. The Jawbone has sounded the best to my callers overall. Aside from that, I have not had any problem with the Jawbone loosing it's bluetooth connection to the 700p or those soft resets that I had been having when bluetooth was on and the phone rang. I have used the headset in the car with the sunroof open and the radio on and nobody to date has complained. I would also like to add that the earloop broke when I put the headset in my pocket and I sent them an email on Friday and today I received a new earloop and earpiece. Thats customer service. This has been the best overall bluetooth headset that I have used.
    I'd like to reiterate that the criticisms I have about the JAWBONE do not include tinny-ness, in most situations. The oddest sounds (perhaps including tinny ones) were when there were sounds that started and stopped over and over, again.
    Right. If the other devices don't perform any better in those exact same situations (or if we don't know, one way or the other), then I'd stick with my Jawbone.

As the poster said, nothing's perfect. I'm trying seriously minimize the amount of conversational impediments my callers have to suffer through.

I feel awful when something really loud interrupts the conversation, or worse, hurts the callers' ears.

The flipside of that coin is when one thinks the earpiece filters out noises that it doesn't. Then, one is likely, unknowingly, talk in areas where sound would be bothersome to the listener/caller.

Areas of false confidence should be identified so that users have realistic expectations for the device.
    Again, I agree. And I dont even have this headset (yet....birthday is 2 weeks away). Realistic expectations have to be kept in mind.
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    If the Jawbone performed better I would keep that over the HBH-610 but it doesn't. So yes of course it's going to take a lot of heat because; it doesn't do what it's supposed to do without sacrificing basic functionality. Once the WOW factor of how it suppresses background noises is gone, and you start to realize that people can't hear a lot of what you are saying to them, you will not be happy with that headset. I guess I should also add that it's range is not that great, probably the worst of any headset I've ever tried.

It's not loud sudden sounds I'm talking about, its everyday sounds, like getting in your car, walking around in a shopping center, going outside to get your mail. The HBH-610(a) does perform better then the JawBone in these cases. The caller on the receiving end of the call will not miss what I've said. That to me is a big deal. The only thing I can tell you that Jawbone was good at was canceling out sounds that were constantly in the background. If sounds changed, like they do in the real world then the Jawbone fails as a good headset. I also didn't like the way peoples voices sounded to me but that doesn't bother me as much.
    I walked outside where there was barely any wind and the caller immediately said he heard wind and my voice was being cut-off while I was talking, this does not happen with the Sony. I'm not trying to push the HBH-610a on anyone but so far it's been the best headset out of all the ones I've tried, it could also stand to be a little louder on my end, but at least I don't have to Yell when I'm talking to people on the other end, the review that was pasted from pocketnow is not accurate in that respect. If you are an ear gel type of person, you can put an ear gel on it and it will be so loud you have to turn it to the lowest volume level, but that goes for any headset you can probably put an ear gel on including the Jawbone.

If you do get the Jawbone, please give us your review on it. Also please let us know what other headsets you've tried. I've been through at least 6 different ones including both Cardo Scala's (500 and 700,) older Plantronics, Most Motorola's, the original Treo Bluetooth (this was was terrible with outgoing volume), older Jabra's, I've also played with my brothers Plantronics Discovery 655 which wasn't too bad except it kept falling out of my ear.

Sorry for the long post.
    Thanks, mmereos!

The best thing you and others offer are realistic reviews with specific examples!

What kind of 'everyday' sounds are you referring to? Getting your mail...is that the closing of the mailbox? Getting in & out of your car...is that the slamming of the door, the dinging of the chimes? How does the headset do with the DSP turned off? Will these same noises cause clipping?
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smartphone View Post
    If you like the HBH-610, you'll love the Nokia BH-900.

Although the sony HBH-610 is good, it was not as good as the HBH-300, but that was discontinued and fell apart on me.

Noise cancellation on the Nokia BH-900 is excellent, I'm currently testing the Jawbone, and I'm still not 100% sure on it as I haven't made enough calls. It might be going back..
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely give it a try. My next one was going to be the $340 Bang & Olufsen, and even though money is no object for the "perfect headset" the B&O's have to be ordered because most stores don't have them in stock, and their return policy is not the best.
    FYI: Reviews of the BH-900.

You may have noticed that I'm on the hunt for more and more reviews so that I don't have to return and purchase, purchase and return BT headsets just to make the best decision for my usage.
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    FYI: You may have noticed that I'm on the hunt for more and more reviews so that I don't have to return and purchase, purchase and return BT headsets just to make the best decision for my usage.
    Yep, I don't blame you, but sometimes it gets confusing, like the different reviews on the Jawbone, we have the crowd that says it's the best headset they've ever used on the other thread, and this thread that has a lot of negatives to say about it. So the question is why such bi-polar reviews? BMIC50 suggested I turn off the DSP and see how the Jawbone performs. I will try and get to that in the next few days and report back.
    Yep, I don't blame you, but sometimes it gets confusing, like the different reviews on the Jawbone, we have the crowd that says it's the best headset they've ever used on the other thread, and this thread that has a lot of negatives to say about it. So the question is why such bi-polar reviews? BMIC50 suggested I turn off the DSP and see how the Jawbone performs. I will try and get to that in the next few days and report back.
    I think one of the reasons is that different users judge based upon different criteria.

Kinda like the reviews at various other websites. Many of them are useless to me unless they specify what types of noise or conditions they were in.

Someone mentioned great headset performance in a convertible, but that doesn't really tell us the noise filter worked against direct or indirect wind interference.

No disrespect intended, but the point is that this type of thing leads to varied judgements and interpretations.
    I think one of the reasons is that different users judge based upon different criteria.

Kinda like the reviews at various other websites. Many of them are useless to me unless they specify what types of noise or conditions they were in.

Someone mentioned great headset performance in a convertible, but that doesn't really tell us the noise filter worked against direct or indirect wind interference.

No disrespect intended, but the point is that this type of thing leads to varied judgements and interpretations.
    This is exactly why we need specific information. What did your caller hear? How long was the clipping? What combination of noises did you encounter? Not to be demanding, but if youre going to review and be credible, you should present the info as such! Unadulterated info doesnt lie...but most of the reviews have been translations of this info.
    This is exactly why we need specific information. What did your caller hear? How long was the clipping? What combination of noises did you encounter? Not to be demanding, but if youre going to review and be credible, you should present the info as such! Unadulterated info doesnt lie...but most of the reviews have been translations of this info.
    I don't understand that last line (from "...but most...").
    I don't understand that last line (from "...but most...").
    I was saying that pure information is what we need, but most of the reviewers have given us their interpretations of this information. Instead of saying the headset has a half-second clipping in an envrionment of direct wind hitgh pitched noises, they are saying that the headset isnt working because the clipping is horrible. They are interpreting the cirmcumstances in which they are testing the equipment for us, instead of giving the raw data.
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast