Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Excellent.

For some reason, today, my caller heard a little girl, passing by me, when she screamed in excitement. I'm not sure why.

I thought that maybe the Noise Shield wasn't on, but when I pressed the button, she heard something else she shouldn't have.

Maybe it was user error. I dunno.

How are you able to use yours with your iPod or anything else?

One end is usb, but the other seems very specific to the device.
    The DSP isn't going to be totally perfect, but it is BY FAR the most effective one that I have ever heard or seen.

To use the A/C to USB adapter, you still have to use the special iPod cable and plug the USB end into the adapter. It also worked with my son's Zen Vision W.
    Quote Originally Posted by golferal View Post
    The DSP isn't going to be totally perfect, but it is BY FAR the most effective one that I have ever heard or seen.
    As far as I'm concerned, it's fantastic.

I just didn't want to omit the odd stuff that occurred.

Btw, I'm not diggin those eargels. The hooks are much better - for me, anyway.

To use the A/C to USB adapter, you still have to use the special iPod cable and plug the USB end into the adapter. It also worked with my son's Zen Vision W.
    Oh. I know what you mean.

USB plugged into the iPod charger plug thingee.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I just use the fitting that came preinstalled and changed the earclip to the "right ear" one. I like the stability using the ear clip and was already used to it after using one with my Plantronics 640 & 655.

It's just as comfortable, maybe even more so because the eargel ins't actaully going into my ear canal.
    I just use the fitting that came preinstalled and changed the earclip to the "right ear" one. I like the stability using the ear clip and was already used to it after using one with my Plantronics 640 & 655.

It's just as comfortable, maybe even more so because the eargel ins't actaully going into my ear canal.
    The hooks seem identical, to me.

Using this kind of device is quite an adjustment, isn't it? I find myself constantly fighting the urge to turn the tv or radio down when I get a call.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    No, that\'s not it. The sensor just picks up your beginning to speak and turns the DSP down. If the sensor doesn\'t stay in contact with the side of your face the entire time, your voice starts cutting out on the other end.

I found that it didn\'t work too well for normal conversations. Doing an advertising video where you speak continuously is one thing, but normal speech is something else. Small little affirmations, noises, chuckles, etc are lost when the DSP is over-active and you\'re in a noisy environment.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    It doesnt make sense that they would utilize a sensor just to turn on/off the DSP. If it can sense when it needs to be turned on (by detecting the voice signals from your jaw), then why wouldnt it use the same technology to focus on that wavelength?
    And why would it cut your voice if the headset still works without the DSP (since it is defeatable)? If the sensor acts as you say, then if it didnt touch your skin, it would just revert to normal mode w/o DSP, allowing more ambient noise.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    You\'re not understanding how the device works. The piece that touches your face is a voice activity sensor, not a microphone. You need to understand how DSP works to understand how the sensor works. Normal mode is DSP on, not off. Trust me on that one. [You can disable DSP manually though.] If the sensor isn\'t touching your face, it doesn\'t detect that you\'re beginning to speak until it\'s too late and has already cut off the very first part of your speech like every other DSP headset does.

It might help you understand it better if you think of the voice activity sensor as the \"talk\" button on a walkie talkie in that it signals the headset to begin transmitting sound instead of trying to block it all out using DSP.
    Re-examine the conversation. I never claimed to know what the sensor is for. Although I am very knowledgable about DSP. my question regards the function of the sensor. It seems to me that the sensor us used to hone in on YOUR voice, which gives the DSP a better idea of what other sounds NOT to include. This would explain why it is dead silent when you dont talk. Maybe we are saying the same thing, but the words you chose to describe it was poor. I am thinking of the sensor as a reverse monitor (the speakers used on stage to judge the output of the performer's sound), it measures the sound coming from YOU so the DSP can better adjust to it. Most DSP sets are pre-programmed to hone in on a specific frequency. So, when the sensor doesnt make contact with your voice via skin, it cannot hone in on your voice. Let me know if that isnt clear enough.
    Re-examine the conversation. I never claimed to know what the sensor is for. Although I am very knowledgable about DSP. my question regards the function of the sensor. It seems to me that the sensor us used to hone in on YOUR voice, which gives the DSP a better idea of what other sounds NOT to include. This would explain why it is dead silent when you dont talk. Maybe we are saying the same thing, but the words you chose to describe it was poor. I am thinking of the sensor as a reverse monitor (the speakers used on stage to judge the output of the performer's sound), it measures the sound coming from YOU so the DSP can better adjust to it. Most DSP sets are pre-programmed to hone in on a specific frequency. So, when the sensor doesnt make contact with your voice via skin, it cannot hone in on your voice. Let me know if that isnt clear enough.
    That's pretty much what the manual says it is.

I think we're all agreeing more than we're disagreeing.
    That's pretty much what the manual says it is.

I think we're all agreeing more than we're disagreeing.
    Great! So lets focus again on the product...is it made of metal or plastic thats made to look like metal?
    Great! So lets focus again on the product...is it made of metal or plastic thats made to look like metal?
    Plastic, apparently.

Source: "We wanted to provide care so we used medical grade plastic because this thing is touching your skin all the time."
    Plastic, apparently.

Source: "We wanted to provide care so we used medical grade plastic because this thing is touching your skin all the time."
    I thought that was just for the inside. Either way, metal wouldve been heavier, so I shouldve known better. I didnt get it for Christmas, so I guess I have to save up for this myself! I wonder if my deeper voice will have the same tinny affect as the guy in the video? This might not be a problem for me. Anyone with a deeper voice cares to comment?
    I thought that was just for the inside. Either way, metal wouldve been heavier, so I shouldve known better. I didnt get it for Christmas, so I guess I have to save up for this myself! I wonder if my deeper voice will have the same tinny affect as the guy in the video? This might not be a problem for me. Anyone with a deeper voice cares to comment?
    No one I've spoken to over this earpiece has sounded tinny and none of them reported that I sounded differently, at all.

I never watched the video, so I'll take a look and letcha know if my voice is deeper than that guy's.
    What video do you mean? (The YouTube video I just watched was the "unboxing" one and it was voiceless.)
    What video do you mean? (The YouTube video I just watched was the "unboxing" one and it was voiceless.)
    On their website, there is a guy who demo's the product. Its a cool website, although it doesnt go without some questionable imperfections. www.jawbone.com
    On their website, there is a guy who demo's the product. Its a cool website, although it doesnt go without some questionable imperfections. www.jawbone.com
    Thanks.

I guess there was a mild tinny quality to the audio in the second segment with ol' boy. I'd say my voice is deeper than his, btw.
    Thanks.

I guess there was a mild tinny quality to the audio in the second segment with ol' boy. I'd say my voice is deeper than his, btw.
    How are people saying your voice sounds? Anyone comment on any difference? I really want to like this headset! What dont you like about the eargels?
    My friend who does all my bluetooth headset testing with me said my voice sounds good, although probably not as "natural" as the nokia bh-900

But definitely not tinny or digital. probably just more like he knows i'm on a headset. But the noise cancellation of road noise etc is first rate.

What it still can't do is cancel out my baby in the backseat if he cries, talks, or my wife next to me talking on her phone. It muffles it but once in a while cuts thru.

That I think I might wait for theboom bluetooth to come out as I know the wired headset does a pretty good job of.
    Whats your experienced battery life?
    How are people saying your voice sounds? Anyone comment on any difference?
    No, sir. (EDIT: Just realized I'm assuming you're a "sir.")

No one seems to notice that I'm using a different earpiece. I guess it's because it's one of those things where people only notice when it DOESN'T work.

I've questioned the hell out of my poor friends and family members (only about 3 people, really, but I've talked to them multiple times) about any differences they might've noticed.

I never asked them, specifically, if my voice sounded odd, but I think it would've come up considering how much I've bugged them.

I really want to like this headset!
    In case I haven't been clear, I love it.

The issues I have with it are extremely minor compared with what I consider to be a revolutionary advance in function and performance.

What dont you like about the eargels?
    Maybe I'm not using them properly, but they don't stay in my ears. They don't seem to anchor themselves in anyway that makes them secure.

Maybe it's the gels. Maybe it's me. Maybe it's just me AND the gels (re: incompatibility).

But that doesn't matter all that much, to me, since the hooks work just fine. I just use the regular cover/gel to protect the speaker and go on with life.
    Quote Originally Posted by smartphone View Post
    My friend who does all my bluetooth headset testing with me said my voice sounds good, although probably not as "natural" as the nokia bh-900

But definitely not tinny or digital. probably just more like he knows i'm on a headset. But the noise cancellation of road noise etc is first rate.

What it still can't do is cancel out my baby in the backseat if he cries, talks, or my wife next to me talking on her phone. It muffles it but once in a while cuts thru.
    I wonder if this has to do with higher frequency sounds like the little girl I complained about earlier. (She screamed while I was near her and my caller got an earful; I was very displeased b/c I feel like a bad host or something.)

The girl I mentioned, a baby's cry, and a woman's voice - I don't know how high your wife's voice is, but if she were excited, at the time, maybe that's illustrate's the device's limitations. (I hope there's some other explanation, though.)

That I think I might wait for theboom bluetooth to come out as I know the wired headset does a pretty good job of.
    TheBoom's wired headset performs better than Jawbone?

Have you heard that TheBoom is coming out with a Bluetooth version? Has an e.t.a. been announced?
    Whats your experienced battery life?
    I couldn't offer any info on that outside of whatever the manufacturer's specs might be.

I've had no problems with it cutting off, though - except when I first got it and barely let it charge an hour before I used it for hourS. (It's supposed to charge a couple of hours.)

So, I'm pleased.
    My friend who does all my bluetooth headset testing with me said my voice sounds good, although probably not as \"natural\" as the nokia bh-900

But definitely not tinny or digital. probably just more like he knows i\'m on a headset. But the noise cancellation of road noise etc is first rate.

What it still can\'t do is cancel out my baby in the backseat if he cries, talks, or my wife next to me talking on her phone. It muffles it but once in a while cuts thru.

That\'s always been a complaint with DSP. DSP does a good job of blocking out repetative noise (road noise, machines, etc) but struggles to block other noises. Higher quality headsets without DSP like the 510 Pro, AX2 Pro, and Boom wired all do a better job with those types of noises. It just depends on where you will normally be using your headset. Also remember that the Jawbone has to be touching your face at all times or it won\'t work.
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast