Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    That does. Glad to know those options are included in such a pricey model!

One button enables/disables the DSP, Pairs the device, and controls the volume (per Eshan). What does the 2nd button do?
    I can't believe I left that out. Sorry about that. S'what I get for posting while drowsy, I guess.

*runs outside for the manual*

According to the cover:

One is the "Talk Button" which answers/ends calls and turns the unit off/on.
    The other is the "Noise Shield" button which is for pairing, turning Noise Sheild on/off, and adjusting volume (oddly, it only says "volume up" but I assume it'll come back down if you keep pressing).
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I can't believe I left that out. Sorry about that. S'what I get for posting while drowsy, I guess.

*runs outside for the manual*

According to the cover:

One is the "Talk Button" which answers/ends calls and turns the unit off/on.
    The other is the "Noise Shield" button which is for pairing, turning Noise Sheild on/off, and adjusting volume (oddly, it only says "volume up" but I assume it'll come back down if you keep pressing).
    Thanks! I have used the TWH for the last 2+ years, so more than one button is cool (not including the volume buttons)!
    Thanks! I have used the TWH for the last 2+ years, so more than one button is cool (not including the volume buttons)!
    I'm not familiar with that model, but this one has been fantastic - truly. So much so, that I'm wondering if other folks' poor impressions might be due to faulty units or physical imcompatibilities (like being physical unable to comfortably wear the device with the lil button thingee against their faces).

I've talked to three people, so far, and none of them had a clue I was in noisy environments - like in my vehicle, with the radio blasting loud enough for me to interfere with my ability to hear them (until I turned the earpiece volume up).
    And why would it cut your voice if the headset still works without the DSP (since it is defeatable)? If the sensor acts as you say, then if it didnt touch your skin, it would just revert to normal mode w/o DSP, allowing more ambient noise.
    You\'re not understanding how the device works. The piece that touches your face is a voice activity sensor, not a microphone. You need to understand how DSP works to understand how the sensor works. Normal mode is DSP on, not off. Trust me on that one. [You can disable DSP manually though.] If the sensor isn\'t touching your face, it doesn\'t detect that you\'re beginning to speak until it\'s too late and has already cut off the very first part of your speech like every other DSP headset does.

It might help you understand it better if you think of the voice activity sensor as the \"talk\" button on a walkie talkie in that it signals the headset to begin transmitting sound instead of trying to block it all out using DSP.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    You\'re not understanding how the device works. The piece that touches your face is a voice activity sensor, not a microphone. You need to understand how DSP works to understand how the sensor works. Normal mode is DSP on, not off. Trust me on that one. [You can disable DSP manually though.] If the sensor isn\'t touching your face, it doesn\'t detect that you\'re beginning to speak until it\'s too late and has already cut off the very first part of your speech like every other DSP headset does.

It might help you understand it better if you think of the voice activity sensor as the \"talk\" button on a walkie talkie in that it signals the headset to begin transmitting sound instead of trying to block it all out using DSP.
    I think that by "normal," BC meant "like the average Bluetooth earpiece."

I agree.
    I think that by \"normal,\" BC meant \"like the average Bluetooth earpiece.\"

I agree.
    And he would be wrong, as are you. DSP is normally turned on when no speech activity is being picked up by the sensor. That\'s exactly how DSP works. It actively filters out background noise.
    And he would be wrong, as are you. DSP is normally turned on when no speech activity is being picked up by the sensor. That\'s exactly how DSP works. It actively filters out background noise.
    I'm pretty sure the manual says that the noise shield tech can be turned on and off.
    Can the eargels be used alone without the earloops? Would make this much more confortable for me.

Also I own a Land Rover Defender one of the loudest trucks around for wiind noise and engine compartment noise. I tried theBoom and the other person could not hear me at all at highway speeds. I checked outside the vehicle with the stereo on and theboom blocked out all the noise so I know it was not defective. With the Jawbone BT people could hear me ok (not great but they could hear me) at freeway speeds. For now theBoom goes back and the Jawbone stays.

Marv
    Quote Originally Posted by marvw View Post
    Can the eargels be used alone without the earloops? Would make this much more confortable for me.

Also I own a Land Rover Defender one of the loudest trucks around for wiind noise and engine compartment noise. I tried theBoom and the other person could not hear me at all at highway speeds. I checked outside the vehicle with the stereo on and theboom blocked out all the noise so I know it was not defective. With the Jawbone BT people could hear me ok (not great but they could hear me) at freeway speeds. For now theBoom goes back and the Jawbone stays.

Marv
    I'm a little confused. At first, I thought you were asking about the Jawbone. Later, it seemed that you already have one.

Maybe you had that other Jawbone model - the one the Aliph csr thought I was talking about when I called. But the "BT" seemed likely to stand for "Bluetooth."

*shrugs*

Anyway, I assumed that the eargels were designed to be used without the hooks and vice-versa.

A nice way to go considering how people's preferences vary. And, at this cost, all extras are appreciated.
    I\'m pretty sure the manual says that the noise shield tech can be turned on and off.
    Ugh. I already said that the DSP could be turned off. So what? You\'re still wrong about how the voice sensor works. Trust me. It even says so in the manual.
    Ugh. I already said that the DSP could be turned off. So what? You\'re still wrong about how the voice sensor works. Trust me. It even says so in the manual.
    Something seems to have gotten lost in the e-translation.

I'm saying the following, which may or may not have anything in common with your position:
    When that little white button isn't against the face, the device fails to pick up the user's voice.

When the noise shield tech is turned off, other sounds in the room become easier for the other person to hear.
    Last edited by west3man; 12/24/2006 at 09:30 PM.
    Actually, your voice will still be picked up without the sensor resting against your face, it\'s just that the DSP doesn\'t get kicked down and you end up with clipping. That\'s why it\'s very important for the headset to be touching your face at all times. It makes the fit very tricky.
    Actually, your voice will still be picked up without the sensor resting against your face, it\'s just that the DSP doesn\'t get kicked down and you end up with clipping. That\'s why it\'s very important for the headset to be touching your face at all times. It makes the fit very tricky.
    I should've ended that sentence as the manual does: fails to pick up the user's voice "properly."

What does "nsxprime" mean, btw?
    It\'s a website that I frequent. Lots of great information about cars.
    There is a response from Hosain Rahman on
    http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/22/j...rap/2#comments
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    There is a response from Hosain Rahman on
    http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/22/j...rap/2#comments
    Good information. He confirmed exactly what I\'ve been saying about the voice sensor and the DSP.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    I'm eager to try it out. I had seen this on a few tech blogs and although the you tube ad was a bit cheesy I was intrigued.
    Good information. He confirmed exactly what I\'ve been saying about the voice sensor and the DSP.
    This confirms my suspicion that there was a miscommunication of some sort going on because he didn't say anything that I didn't already know.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Just picked up one of these today at a Cingular store. After trying two other headsets with so-called DSP (and about 5 or six others without), I was skeptical but wanted to give it another go. Let me just say, this one works and works well. I left myself a message on my landline voicemail while sitting in fron of my PC and cranked up the music while talking intermittently. There was a faint amount of audible music in the background while I talked, but it was dead silent when I wasn't. Then I tried the real test. I left myself a second message from my small, echoey bathroom and turned on the louder than average fan and proceeded to take a leak. Not even the faintest tinkle came through on the other end. No fan noise, no echo, no anything. There was the slightest blip when I flushed the toilet, but if I didn't know what the sound was, I would not have been able to tell. The range seems equal to or better than any other BT headset I've had, but there seems to be much less static that my previous Plantronics 640E and 655. I am amazed by this unit and actually feel like I got my money's worth!

Oh, and it comes with a cool A/C to USB charning adapter that I can use for my iPod and other stuff. Nice!
    Quote Originally Posted by golferal View Post
    Just picked up one of these today at a Cingular store. After trying two other headsets with so-called DSP (and about 5 or six others without), I was skeptical but wanted to give it another go. Let me just say, this one works and works well. I left myself a message on my landline voicemail while sitting in fron of my PC and cranked up the music while talking intermittently. There was a faint amount of audible music in the background while I talked, but it was dead silent when I wasn't. Then I tried the real test. I left myself a second message from my small, echoey bathroom and turned on the louder than average fan and proceeded to take a leak. Not even the faintest tinkle came through on the other end. No fan noise, no echo, no anything. There was the slightest blip when I flushed the toilet, but if I didn't know what the sound was, I would not have been able to tell. The range seems equal to or better than any other BT headset I've had, but there seems to be much less static that my previous Plantronics 640E and 655. I am amazed by this unit and actually feel like I got my money's worth!
    Excellent.

For some reason, today, my caller heard a little girl, passing by me, when she screamed in excitement. I'm not sure why.

I thought that maybe the Noise Shield wasn't on, but when I pressed the button, she heard something else she shouldn't have.

Maybe it was user error. I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by golferal View Post
    Oh, and it comes with a cool A/C to USB charning adapter that I can use for my iPod and other stuff. Nice!
    How are you able to use yours with your iPod or anything else?

One end is usb, but the other seems very specific to the device.
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast