Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser View Post
    Hi

i don't know how many times i have to say it, nor in how many different ways, but once more.. theBoom "O" is my favorite headset. Period.
    Considering the apparent confusion, earlier, I thought it was worth the asking. Reviews are helpful, but often too long for quickly retrieving certain kinds of information - especially if there's more than one of them.

Thanks for the information.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Considering the apparent confusion, earlier, I thought it was worth the asking. Reviews are helpful, but often too long for quickly retrieving certain kinds of information - especially if there's more than one of them.

Thanks for the information.
    Hi.. you're welcome.. i don't know what kind of money you make, and it's none of my business anyway, but when it comes to spending a Franklin or more for a headset or any other tech thingie, i don't think you can do too much research before you plunk down your cash.. if you're a millionaire, what's a hundred bucks?.. if you're not, there are so many choices out there, you have to decide whose reviews you can trust, whose you can't, read a lot of them, and read the opinions of actual customers of a product, as most reviewers get the product for free.. many of them kiss up to mfrs. thinking if they don't flatter the product, the mfr. will cut them off.. i don't operate like that.. if i did, every product i reviewed would get the highest rating out of fear of offending a mfr. so beware of reviewers who LOVE *everything*.. and put your faith in those who shine the harsh lights of scrutiny on a product..

another thing to keep in mind is that reviewers are reviewing brand new products, fresh out of the box.. how does that product look and behave after using it for six months, or a year?.. does it stand up to normal handling or does it fall apart?.. it'd be nice to have the luxury to re-visit every piece of hardware i've reviewed and do a follow-up, like Motor Trend and other car magazines do "long-term tests" and re-visit a car they've had as a review loaner for six months or a year, to see how it held up.. tech reviewers rarely do that because there's just so much new product coming out of so many companies, it's nigh unto impossible to do what the car magazines do and re-visit a headset or a whatever a year later and talk about whether it still behaves and looks like it did when it was new.. and tech toys change so fast, that after a year, last year's product is probably already a model or two back.. (although in the case of theBoom products.. they're still making and selling exactly the same ones i reviewed a year ago).. this re-visiting, though, is probably more imporant with a $30,000.00 product, like a car, that people tend to keep for many years, than it is for a $100.00 product, like a headset, or a $30.00 product, like a case..

anyway, if you do end up getting theBoom or theBoom "O" i'll be interested to hear your impressions of it.. my hunch is you'll love it.. i don't know anyone who has one who doesn't.. and no, i'm not on UmeVoice's payroll.. but some products are just stand-outs, and in my book, theirs qualify as exactly that..

Thanks
    Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    I've been reconsidering theBoom models, but after realizing that the lower-priced models wouldn't grant me stereo sound (so I'd have to deal with TWO sets of wires/cables) and after getting the frickin' cord to my existing stereo earbuds caught on and around seatbelts, doorknobs and the like, I can't seem going with theBoom models.

Keeping up with and dealing with those wires is a huge pain. I knew it was bothersome, but I guess I'd forgotten just how much it got on my nerves. I often find myself washing my hands or something, with the phone on the counter, and being unable to get to the (paper/) towels ... without grabbing the phone with my wet mitts.

That's getting old. It should happen less frequently once my case and pouch FINALLY get delivered (today), but still. Wired is such a pain.
    I think I forgot to mention (I'm in too much of a rush to check) that I've had better luck with Bluetooth than some, I guess.

I walk from room to room in my home, sometimes forgetting to bring my phone, while talking via Bluetooth. I confess to not being sure how far 10 meters is, exactly, (or was it 30?) but I've connected with my truck's Bluetooth speaker, from the house... and I've connected to devices in the house from my truck (always by mistake, though).
    Grr. Low-talkers are hard to hear on the Jawbone.

I've been meaning (for months, actually) to get my hands on a Jabra ear gel to see if I could rig it onto the Jawbone to funnel/insulate the sound more effectively.

I know there was talk of this, before. Do any of you recommend a particular ear gel?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I think I forgot to mention (I'm in too much of a rush to check) that I've had better luck with Bluetooth than some, I guess.

I walk from room to room in my home, sometimes forgetting to bring my phone, while talking via Bluetooth. I confess to not being sure how far 10 meters is, exactly, (or was it 30?) but I've connected with my truck's Bluetooth speaker, from the house... and I've connected to devices in the house from my truck (always by mistake, though).
    Hi..

the Bluetooth spec is 10 meters, or, roughly, 33 feet.. as far as a data connection, i'll buy that.. but with a voice connection on a Bluetooth headset?.. no way.. at least not in my experience.. and if i leave the Treo in the living room and walk into the bedroom, even if i can still SEE the Treo (line of sight), forget it once i get about a dozen feet away from it.. snap, crackle, fizz.. my voice to them, and their voice to me.. neither me nor my caller can hear anything but staticky noise like one of us is on Jupiter.. and this goes for every freakin' Bluetooth headset i've ever tried..

Thanks
    Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I've been reconsidering theBoom models, but after realizing that the lower-priced models wouldn't grant me stereo sound (so I'd have to deal with TWO sets of wires/cables) and after getting the frickin' cord to my existing stereo earbuds caught on and around seatbelts, doorknobs and the like, I can't seem going with theBoom models.

Keeping up with and dealing with those wires is a huge pain. I knew it was bothersome, but I guess I'd forgotten just how much it got on my nerves. I often find myself washing my hands or something, with the phone on the counter, and being unable to get to the (paper/) towels ... without grabbing the phone with my wet mitts.

That's getting old. It should happen less frequently once my case and pouch FINALLY get delivered (today), but still. Wired is such a pain.
    Hi..

theBooms (the two mono models and the fancy Stereo theBoom Quiets model).. all come with a little strain relief shirt / collar clip on the three foot long cord.. ya just stick yer Treo in your pocket, clip the shirt clip to your collar or whatever, then the cord won't yank out of the Treo, and you don't have to handle the phone with wet hands.. if the cord is still too long for ya, get a trash bag twisty-tie and bundle up some of the excess..

UmeVoice doesn't make a "compact" Stereo model with their faaaaaaabulous noise-reduction mic.. theBoom Quiets (if you look in the store here or read my review).. are full sized cans.. yes you can use the single-ear smaller models to listen to music, but it's gonna be mono in one ear.. and the fi won't be anywhere near as hi..

you'll notice the one ear models have a wind screen over the mic.. while the Quiets don't.. that's because the Quiets are not made to be used while driving (illegal to have both ears covered).. they're meant for serious music listening indoors, or sure, you can use them outdoors, but not while driving..

Thanks
    Harv
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser View Post
    Hi..

the Bluetooth spec is 10 meters, or, roughly, 33 feet.. as far as a data connection, i'll buy that.. but with a voice connection on a Bluetooth headset?.. no way.. at least not in my experience.. and if i leave the Treo in the living room and walk into the bedroom, even if i can still SEE the Treo (line of sight), forget it once i get about a dozen feet away from it.. snap, crackle, fizz.. my voice to them, and their voice to me.. neither me nor my caller can hear anything but staticky noise like one of us is on Jupiter.. and this goes for every freakin' Bluetooth headset i've ever tried..

Thanks
    Harv
    I used to think the same thing but recently have ran into headsets which actually come close to performing to the BT spec. The Motorola 850 had great range....too bad it caused resets on my 755. The Samsung WEP200 is nearly as good. I sometimes forget and leave my Treo on the desk while I'm talking on it....and wander into another room. I'll start noticing cracks and pops when I get 25 feet away or with a wall or two in between.
    FINALLY!!!

Someone who can appreciate theboom. I have been a huge fan of theboom for 3 years, and currently have the v4 $150 one. Although I actually think their older version was slightly better, just not as durable.

Yes, the microphone works superb outdoors and with wind. The tip of the mic has a windsock and without DSP, it just doesn't cut in and out. I've tried the jawbone, but it just didn't cut out enough noise from people in the background, and was just uncomfortable. I snapped the earloop 3 times putting it in my jeans. Now of course theboom is just too bulky for me to always have with me, so I'm still in search of a headset as good. The older boom had the same blue stem and mic as the "O" version as far as I can tell in the website pics and that microphone was OUTSTANDING, I once stood under a rollercoaster at universal in orlando and was able to whisper in the microphone, and my wife could hear me clearly (I couldn't reallyhear her LOL).
    The newer stem on the v4 doesn't seem as good as it picks up a bit more of my son in the background etc. But it still rocks.

Currently the nokia bh-900 is my favorite that is 80% of theboom. I just received the blueant z9 and am testing and so far it's not looking great. I might try again the jawbone, but I tried 3 different units so I'm pretty sure I didn't get a defective one. That was the week it just came out so I'm not sure if it was just an early version and maybe they've improved it in the last few months?

I'm sure I'll try the Q7 but experience with theboom tells me that if the microphone isn't in front of your mouth it's never going to be that great. That's why the nokia bh-900 is so nice because the microhone extends out.

Ume said a long time ago they'd come out with a bluetooth headset, actually last year they said this year. Last month they said next year So I'll just keep waiting for the ultimate headset.
    I'm trying the blueant Z9. Just ordered from Buy.com, so I'll hopefully get it this week.

I'm also in the eternal search for a bluetooth headset that works as well as theboom!
    Palm III -> Palm IV -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by chuhsi View Post
    I'm trying the blueant Z9. Just ordered from Buy.com, so I'll hopefully get it this week.

I'm also in the eternal search for a bluetooth headset that works as well as theboom!
    Don't bother with the z9. Tried it for 2 weeks and it's not even close. It breaks up, wind is horrible, and is no where close to the boom.

Right now I'm still using my Nokia bh-900 waiting for the Q7
    Quote Originally Posted by smartphone View Post
    Don't bother with the z9. Tried it for 2 weeks and it's not even close. It breaks up, wind is horrible, and is no where close to the boom.

Right now I'm still using my Nokia bh-900 waiting for the Q7
    Disappointing. I've been considering it, as well, now that I've been able to talk to someone who's using the Jawbone (as opposed to me trying to get precise feedback from folks listening to ME while I talk on the 'Bone).

In that TC review, the reviewer wonders why anyone would care to shut off the blinking on their Bluetooth earpiece, since the person using it can't see it, at the time. The benefit is, of course, to others - say, in a crowded movie theater where they can see this persistent blinking coming from some guy's cranium.

Comparing the Z9 to theBoom is saying a lot, from what I've heard. I wondered if the device could live up to the comparison. Now I'm wondering even more.
    I'm very confused by the reviews. The TC reviewer says it compares well to theboom. Most everyone else says that the performance is underwhelming.

???
    So brief review of the z9 is that it's sadly underwhelming.

Comparing the blueant z9 to the regular mic on the treo is like moving smoothly along a see-saw of voice quality versus noise cancellation.

Use the blueant on max noise cancellation and you can barely make out my voice (breaks up a little and sounds digitalized)...but the background's pretty quiet. Go to the mic on the treo and my voice comes through very clearly...but the background's a bit loud. This probably sounds the best overall. Using the z9 on its standard noise isolation setting reduces background noise a little and increases the voice quality a little compared to max noise iso...but instead of being the best of both worlds, it's like having both poor voice quality and poor noise cancellation.

And this is after the firmware upgrade.
    I called blueant tech support and they're going to exchange my headset for a new one. Small PITA, but at least I'll get a working headset soon. The rep I spoke to was very very nice.

I tried the headset on a friend's razr and had the same outgoing quality issues. incoming's great, though.

I'll post again when the new headset arrives.
    Anyone try the Boom "E"?

http://www.theboom.com/theBoomE.html
    Visor Deluxe => Visor Pro => Visor Prism => Treo 300 => Treo 600 => Treo 650 => Treo 755p<hr/>
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXChameleon View Post
    Anyone try the Boom "E"?

http://www.theboom.com/theBoomE.html
    Holy $#!+, it's three hundred frickin' dollars!

Pass, for now.
    I imagine it's the most comfortable of all the headsets. But it better be for $300.

From their website:

Q: Can you please explain to me the differences between theBoom O, v4, and E?
    A: All the headsets that we sell offer the same high quality mic with the same unparalleled noise cancelling technology invented at UmeVoice. The main difference between the 3 headsets is the way you wear the headset. Please see product pages for more info on each of these headsets.

Q: What makes theBoom E cost three times as much as theBoom O?
    A: theBoom E is custom made at our lab to the customer's spec. It uses a special speaker driver and a coiled bud that can be specified for the right or left ear. The unit rests comfortably on both ears and is made of a plastic tube that goes behind your head for use all day. The flex boom can be attached to the left or right depending on what you specify on your order.
    Visor Deluxe => Visor Pro => Visor Prism => Treo 300 => Treo 600 => Treo 650 => Treo 755p<hr/>
    Quote Originally Posted by chuhsi View Post
    I'm very confused by the reviews. The TC reviewer says it compares well to theboom. Most everyone else says that the performance is underwhelming.

???
    TC is known for their bogus reviews. A lot like CNET.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    TC is known for their bogus reviews. A lot like CNET.
    Hi..

i don't know exactly which review you're referring to, but if you read my Aliph Jawbone review, you'll read that i clearly said theBoom's noise-reduction mic (which uses acoustic wave-shaping technology, NOT electronics..) .. is FAR superior to the Jawbone's.. i also found that callers sounded like they were talking to me from inside a tin can a thousand miles away on the Jawbone.. all treble, absolutely no bass.. while theBoom "O", my favorite headset of any kind of all time, makes humans sound like humans through its padded ear piece.. theBoom's mic is not affected by wind, and that if i had to hand over every headset i own except for one, theBoom "O" is the one i'd keep..
    no Bluetooth, no pairing, no flashing lights, no buttons, no battery.. just plug it into the audio jack and the damn thing just plain works.. it does exactly what UmeVoice claims it does.. if i'm going to be on a long call, theBoom "O" is the headset i use.. the Jawbone is very pretty, very cutting edge comes in a gorgeous display box, is a real conversation piece, looks like something out of a science fiction movie, but as far as hearing callers and being heard by those i call.. theBoom "O" is my choice..

if you're referring to someone else's review, i can't speak for anyone else but myself..

Thanks
    Harv
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast