Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    My understanding is that SDHC has class 2, 4, and 6 running at 2, 4, and 6 MB/sec respectively. That seems darn slow compared to something like a Sandisk Extreme III card at 20 MB/sec. So, at the present time, getting a larger capacity card means sacrificing a fair amount of speed... am I understanding this right? I'm hoping not, so someone please correct me if I'm off base
  2. tcs
    the thing is u will never reach those speed in any pda! so what's the different?
    Two questions.

When I copied the file over, I now see both the new and the old file is that what I should see?

Second question, is the class 2 card going to be good enough to watch videos with TCPMP?
    yes also wondering if it is worth the decreased speed to get higher capacity... would a 8gb sdhc card running tomtom navigator be real slow? i dont want to be missing the turns !
    is this one SDHC?

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11176218&search=sd%20card&Sp=S&Mo=22&cm_re=1-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&N=0&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=All &Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=sd%20card&Ntt=sd%20card&No=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav =&s=1

So do I have to do a custom ROM for Teo 650 or just copy that file?
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    All Palms (at least AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK-$maybe$ $the$ $newest$ $one$, $the$ $680$ $is$ $different$) $have$ $a$ $1$-$bit$ $SD$ $bus$. $So$ $our$ $devices$ $are$ $not$ $even$ $saturating$ $even$ $the$ $slowest$ $SD$/$MMC$ $cards$, $much$ $less$ $SDHC$.

That said, I've noticed huge differences in an old "blue" Sandisk 512mb, a cheap KIngston 2gb, and a 2gb Sandisk Ultra II on my desktop & laptop PC's card readers, especially when writing to the cards.

I am capturing HQ 640*480 30fps video on my Casio digital camera (EX-Z850) on the class 2 8gb SDHC card with no issues whatsoever. If it can write to the card flawlessly, then I wouldn't expect any issues watching videos on a Palm that are of a lower resolution & bitrate.

The 700p's inherent lag & memory issues are much more likely to be the
    culprits of any skipping or stuttering than SD card or bus speeds.
    I have the Transcend 8GB SDHC card installed-up-and-running on the 700p-Verizon(card purchased from NewEgg.com for $119.00 which also covered shipping).

Thanks to the post by +KardBoard+ in this thread. I copied the file "SDIO-sdsd.prc" from the link in his post to the 700p. Pushed the Transcend 8GB card and did a soft reset. The card was able to be seen by the 700p.

I do not have a SDHC reader and could not format as was suggested in this thread, but I tried the program "Card Export II" from Softick as was suggested in this forum. I had about 3.5GB to copy from my old 4GB card. Softick worked, but took hours. I will invest in a SDHC reader. Transcend has a mini for less than $10.00. I am sure there are others that will work.

I tried TCPMP on a video and it worked great. Ptunes 4.01 also works fine. I tried Kinoma 3.01 but I don't know what happened to an audio plugin that I thought I had but the video was also good. When I get a chance I will try my Tom-Tom 5. Now I will have room for all the audio books, Tom-Tom maps and a good number of videos.

The only problem that I see is I will need to carry an older non SDHC card in case I need or get a hard reset. Since the file "SDIO-sdsd.prc" is not in ROM. Hopefully the file or replacement will be included if and when we ever get a ROM update from Palm or Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    I am capturing HQ 640*480 30fps video on my Casio digital camera (EX-Z850) on the class 2 8gb SDHC card with no issues whatsoever. If it can write to the card flawlessly, then I wouldn't expect any issues watching videos on a Palm that are of a lower resolution & bitrate.

The 700p's inherent lag & memory issues are much more likely to be the
    culprits of any skipping or stuttering than SD card or bus speeds.
    I would think the same, but my Transcend 150x card is amazingly slower than my Sandisk Extreme III 133x card in writing to the card. For instance, deleting a 10MB file on the Transcend takes 3-4 minutes vs 5-8 seconds with the Sandisk. Sandisk is only slightly faster in read time. So, my experience on a 700p is that not all "high speed" cards seem to work the same.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    I would like to mention That I have used both Softick CardExportII http://www.softick.com and Card Reader http://www.clickapps.com/moreinfo.ht...0&section=PALM and I can tell you using my 700P and a 8Gig Transend SDHC card that Card Reader is 10times faster. Give it a try. I am also bummed about this cause I bought a copy of CardExportII a while back. Now it looks like I'll be buying Card Reader. Guess it cant hurt having two utilitys that do the same thing..

OrionNE
    Last edited by OrionNE; 12/31/2006 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Typo
    Thanks for the info, that's enough to get me to send in my order. Though I might wait till mid January when the faster cards come out to see if these are cheaper then.
    I did find a solution to the problem of a hard reset on my 700p and not having the SDIO-sdsd.prc file to enable me to read the 8GB card for a restore from a backup.

Most of us have a website provided by our ISP. I was able to use mine and FTP the file there in a directory for later use.

Now if I get the hard reset I still have the ability to surf the internet. I just go the the site and add the name of the above file to my URL path. It finds the file and proceds to ask if I want to download to my Treo. I now have the file I need for the SDHC card. Do a soft reset and I can now do a restore.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BridgeScore View Post
    I did find a solution to the problem of a hard reset on my 700p and not having the SDIO-sdsd.prc file to enable me to read the 8GB card for a restore from a backup.

Most of us have a website provided by our ISP. I was able to use mine and FTP the file there in a directory for later use.

Now if I get the hard reset I still have the ability to surf the internet. I just go the the site and add the name of the above file to my URL path. It finds the file and proceds to ask if I want to download to my Treo. I now have the file I need for the SDHC card. Do a soft reset and I can now do a restore.
    I gotta say, that's good thinking on your part.
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
    Quote Originally Posted by BridgeScore View Post

I so wish I had thought of that. Great idea. Thanks
    Good day all,

Please let me know how your experience has been using the 680 sdhc driver on your 700p.

I tried it about 5 days and after being thrilled at first having around 5 gig free, I found the fact that the card was intermittently "dismounting" after I would access files of any size to be too annoying (files maybe 250k or larger seemed to cause the problem). And I found this almost always happened after Resco backup would take a new backup.

Other information about my verizon 700p includes I run several of the larger programs from the sd card using zlauncher. Also much of my critical data is backed up to the card when critical programs exit using OnGuard backup (paranoia left over from my 2 year 650 unstable nvfs experience). But I also had the dismount problem happen after simple file copies using Resco Explorer to/from the card.

The quick "fix" was to remove the sdhc card and simply plug it back in, but after about 15 times a day I quickly went from the new 8g sdhc class 4 Patriot back to my trusty and always reliable 2g Sandisk Ultra II.

Maybe this is why Palm doesn't officially support sdhc yet? Is anyone else getting this? My 700p is reliable and only reboots (if I keep an eye on the available dbcache) about once a month or so.

I may try the driver on a fresh hard reset to make sure the reoccurring dismount problem has nothing to do with my zlauncher, etc..

ps. the Sandisk MicroMate sdhc card USB reader is VERY nice and fast.
    Last edited by d01205; 01/05/2007 at 02:59 PM.
    Thank you Rob_T and d01205. I have no idea where the thought came from for the FTP solution, it was just a flash thought, but it works great.

In regard to the comment of the un-mounting I have had similar problems and I found that if I removed certain programs from the main memory it did not happen. One of the programs was Resco backup and another was NVbackup(a free download). I really liked NVbackup since one of the backup options was to make a second copy on my web site automatically via FTP(done at 4:00am). I installed NVbackup only on the card and not in main memory since then I have had no problems with the un-mount or refusal to mount problem. So it could be a particular program that is causing the problem. I have no idea why having the program on only on the card solved the problem.

As for the size of the programs I have used TomTom 5 The actual launch program is only about 65K(start.prc) but it does use data files(maps) one of the maps I recently used is almost 129,000K(MS_AL_FL_GA_SC_KY_VA_TN_NC-Map). I don't know if TomTom 5 loads the entire map or pieces of the map as needed.

I found a great tiny SDHC card reader manufactured by Transcend and around $8.00. It came in today and it works great. I transferred about 5GB from the card to my laptop in about 10 to 12 minutes.

Things are looking up with the SCHC 8GB card and the new SAG beta 1.08 from softick. Now if I could only send a Fax from my 700p. My old 7135 had no such problem.
    I followed the directions above (thanks +Kardboard+!), and popped in the Transcend 8GB card into my 700P. The card was recognized and opened fine.

When I went to the Info selection in the Palm launcher to see how much capacity the Treo thought that card hard, I got a "3.5GB of 3.5GB free" message, indicating to me that the card capacity was not being recognized.

I installed CardExport II as suggested, and my PC could see the 8GB card, and it registered as 8GB. So, I'm moving 4GB of files to it, to see if the capacity is really there, and the Treo misdisplayed it.

Files still being copied, so I don't know yet (using Treo as a card reader is slow as mentioned). But I wanted to ask if any of you with the 8GB card have been able to load 8GB (or nearly) worth of files.
    Jeff

Motorola StarTac => Cingular Treo 270 => Sprint Treo 600 => Sprint Treo 650 => Sprint Treo 700p
    That makes me feel so much better someone else has seen the unmount issue. For as many people who are supposedly trying the 680 sdhc driver on their 700p's, I am amazed no one else has said anything.

Maybe it is our "built in defend the Palm/Treo" defense mechanism kicking in.

I will try moving RescoBackup to the card and taking manual backups and see how it goes. Oh wait, my other backup solution OnGuard also has the problem, and it runs after almost all of my important programs.

Damn, there is almost always a catch in life. In this case, do you want 8g of sd card in your Treo...?, Or backups? But not both.

At least life is almost never boring.
    I am using a Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with my Sprint Treo 700p. I downloaded the file from the link in the original post, but it did not name it exactly as shown. Regardless, I copied the file to my regularly used SD card, inserted into my Treo, and then tried to copy it to the Main Memory of the phone using Resco Explorer v 2.71.1.

This keeps giving me the error "Failed: InvalidDBname.

I'm sure im just retarded and am doing something wrong - maybe i dont know exactly where I am supposed to copy the file on the phone... If anyone could help me I would really appreciate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sssnowrider View Post
    I am using a Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with my Sprint Treo 700p. I downloaded the file from the link in the original post, but it did not name it exactly as shown. Regardless, I copied the file to my regularly used SD card, inserted into my Treo, and then tried to copy it to the Main Memory of the phone using Resco Explorer v 2.71.1.

This keeps giving me the error "Failed: InvalidDBname.

I'm sure im just retarded and am doing something wrong - maybe i dont know exactly where I am supposed to copy the file on the phone... If anyone could help me I would really appreciate it.
    You should copy it to RAM or Main Memory as you have indicated. Did the file name or more importantly the extension get renamed when you downloaded it?

And a question from me to you...I have a new Macbook pro Core 2 Duo as well and a Sprint 700P and I cannot get it to sync with the Macbook. I get file is locked or a crash of the Conduit manager every time....I thought macs didnt crash????
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Sergeant, USMC
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyparanoid View Post
    You should copy it to RAM or Main Memory as you have indicated. Did the file name or more importantly the extension get renamed when you downloaded it?

And a question from me to you...I have a new Macbook pro Core 2 Duo as well and a Sprint 700P and I cannot get it to sync with the Macbook. I get file is locked or a crash of the Conduit manager every time....I thought macs didnt crash????
    When i open the explorer - is the "main memory or RAM" are where I am supposed to copy it designated as the initial RAM tree? Or does it need to be withing a folder inside that tree? What is the exact file name SUPPOSED to be in the event it was changed?

In answer to your question... Mac's are intended not to crash - the 3rd party software on them may crash themselves - the hardware and actual Mac software is what is "stable". But user error obviously can't always avoid that. I use Missing Sync to sync between my mac and my Treo - but I am currently trying to do so with Entourage and Treo and having numerouse problems.
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast