Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by CjMoney View Post
    I also see the free map upgrade until march 07 but then when i try to order its 49.99. Anyone know the deal here?
    Do you have Nav 5 or Nav 6? If you have Nav 5, then the CD's will include Nav 6, so the price is $50.
    A poster somewhere here stated he had received his upgrade maps from TT5 and that it did include the TT6 software.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    So I ordered the Tomtom update for about $60 shipped on 1/6/07 and they quoted a shipping time of about 3 to 4 weeks. Well, to my surprise the update was waiting in the mail for me today on 1/9/07.

All I got was a DVD in a sleeve with no real directions to speak of (there were some icons). The DVD installed the Tomtom Home application which helps keep track of updates etc. I had already cleared tomtom5 off of my Treo 700p as well as all maps on the SD card because my gps reciever was stolen recently.

The tomtom home app. recognized my SD card as a "device" and a prompt asked what it was for (I selected "navigator"). Once selected I had the option of installing the Tomtom6 application as well as any of the many maps of the US as well as extra voices. I installed a texas map and the tomtom6 software without any problems.

The tomtom6 software worked once activated as per usual (that's how it worked on tomtom5 at least) and the demo mode showed it doing what it should have. Unfortunately I haven't replaced my GPS receiver yet so I won't know for a few weeks how well it works.

Conclusion: This is truly an upgrade from Tomtom5 and not just a new set of maps. The cost was less than half of the new tomtom6 software retail. It doesn't require you to have tomtom5 on your treo and installs everything to the SD card. I didn't have POI's or addresses left over so I don't know how it would handle the upgrade on other's setups.
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Thanks for the confirmation, ps40897. I got the map upgrade mail this morning and was trying to figure out if it includes Nav6. Now I know it does.
    Can someone who has used TT 5 and also TT6 with a treo 650 answer these questions? I can't find the answers anywhere yet.

1) Does TT6 still turn on the phone when starting TT6? TT5 did that, and it was annoying when traveling in Europe where I didn't have CDMA service but wanted to navigate.

2) Does TT6 connect at all to the Data network without permission? I don't have a Verizon data plan, and TT5 did NOT connect, and I never used any of the Plus or Traffic stuff. I saw something on the TT site that says "anonymous use and route data is collected" and I want to make sure it isn't using my data connection and costing me money.

3) Do any TT5 maps work with TT6? I have purchased a few $5 maps in europe and one $80 country map, and I would hate to have to re-purchase them.

4) Any features go missing or any extra annoyances?
    Quote Originally Posted by JugglerDave View Post
    Can someone who has used TT 5 and also TT6 with a treo 650 answer these questions? I can't find the answers anywhere yet.

1) Does TT6 still turn on the phone when starting TT6? TT5 did that, and it was annoying when traveling in Europe where I didn't have CDMA service but wanted to navigate.

2) Does TT6 connect at all to the Data network without permission? I don't have a Verizon data plan, and TT5 did NOT connect, and I never used any of the Plus or Traffic stuff. I saw something on the TT site that says "anonymous use and route data is collected" and I want to make sure it isn't using my data connection and costing me money.

3) Do any TT5 maps work with TT6? I have purchased a few $5 maps in europe and one $80 country map, and I would hate to have to re-purchase them.

4) Any features go missing or any extra annoyances?
    1. TT6 does not turn on the phone when starting.

2. In Tomtom Plus Service menu, there is an option to turn off anonymous data collection.

3. TT5 maps work with TT6. I received the map upgrade as a free option when I purchased Tomtom Go 700 this Dec. The DVD came with TT6 Nav software in it. In fact it seems like the DVD has software for all Tomtom products. I only activated TomTom Go and when I tried to activate the maps on 700p, it wouldn't let me. But the old maps work fine.

4. No annoyance yet. It seems tt6 is more refined than tt5 but not a major improvement, sort of like Treo 650 to 700 upgrade.
    Last edited by bestoverall; 01/14/2007 at 10:17 AM.
    Tom Tom 5 allowed 2 phones to be activated, someone says that 6 does not, can anyone else confirm this, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    Tom Tom 5 allowed 2 phones to be activated, someone says that 6 does not, can anyone else confirm this, thanks.
    I think this is true unfortunately, but not 100% sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    I tried to activate TT6 on my two devices just like I was able to with TT5. But, unfortunately, I was not able to activate the second device. I am going to contact them and see if I can find out why the change.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12