Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is there a Treo 650 firmware patch I should be running or
    checking for against my current version?
    what do you currently have? in the phone app menu-i
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

--
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    The updates on the Palm site are for "unbranded" phones. If you bought your Treo from a carrier (Sprint, Cingular, etc.), go to the carrier's web site to find the current firmware version.
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
    The updates on the Palm site are for "unbranded" phones. If you bought your Treo from a carrier (Sprint, Cingular, etc.), go to the carrier's web site to find the current firmware version.
    Not correct.

All firmware updates are hosted on Palm's site.

Follow the Link I posted. You'll see the links to the various carrier's phones, as well as "Unlocked GSM". All those pages are hosted by Palm.

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...reo650updater/
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    if i have a cingular (unlocked) phone, is there anyway I can whipe out the cingular OS and just use the basic PALM one (So i dont have any cingular additions or apps)??

what would I need to download?

would I download this:

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...lockedgsm.html

to get rid of the cingular logo on startup and cingular apps?
    That will not work. I asked Palm that question, and was told that ROMs on the phones are unique to the carrier. The link you have is just an update file, and those are different between the carriers. If you try installing this, you'll most likely have a brick. What you would need to do is find the current ROM build for the unlocked GSM phone and try reburning onto a Cingular. Not something for the faint at heart, and most likely you'll still wind up with a brick.

lol, really?

well, that doesnt sound too fun now does it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_Love84 View Post
    if i have a cingular (unlocked) phone, is there anyway I can whipe out the cingular OS and just use the basic PALM one (So i dont have any cingular additions or apps)??

what would I need to download?

would I download this:

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...lockedgsm.html

to get rid of the cingular logo on startup and cingular apps?
    It can be done, but you will need to do a lot of reading. I would say, go with the latest Cingular build, but you can customize the ROM yourself and remove the stuff you don't like (more reading). It is actually pretty easy to do, and easy to recover if you make a mistake.

Try it at your own risk.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    lol, anyone willing to do it for some $$

hardy har har.
    Matthew,
    I've done it on several Cingular branded phones. It's not that hard. I have a few already built ROMs with languages removed and various apps removed. Changing them is simple. If you want, I can do it for you, no problem. Send me a PM. I don't want payment. I'm happy to do it for a fellow TC'er. Just tell me what apps you want removed, I'll get you details on how to proceed. It's a piece of cake once you know how.
    awesome jimmy, my treo 650 arrives on tuesday. What apps off hand do you know should be removed? will it get rid of the cingular start up screen?
    Read the thread on the cingual 1.17 vs. unlocked 1.20 patch. There are some folks there that have more experience than I do on ROM upgrading and flashing. They should be able to answer your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_Love84 View Post
    awesome jimmy, my treo 650 arrives on tuesday. What apps off hand do you know should be removed? will it get rid of the cingular start up screen?
    It depends on what you plan to use? A couple of the most common to use are Realplayer and Versamail. I happen to use both. However, I removed some other stuff and added some programs that I want in ROM.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Matthew,
    I have removed the Tutorial, Clock, Versamail (on some, others want it), Xpresmail, GetGood. Basically, any application that you don't use can be eliminated. And you won't see the Cingular logo. I have included the FAT32 update (thanks James) in all my updates. It's optional also.

The startup screen becomes the generic Treo screen.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Actually, it's pretty easy to do this without a custom ROM. You first have to load an older beta-version of the unbranded firmware which doesn't check the software type. Then you can load the current unbranded firmware. The details are given in the first post in http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=119539 I did this once and had no problem with it.
    Yes, agreed. The process is to take it down with 1.13 ROW upgrade. Once it"s done, you can then use the 1.20 ENA official upgrade to being it up-to-date. Easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by achang001 View Post
    Yes, agreed. The process is to take it down with 1.13 ROW upgrade. Once it"s done, you can then use the 1.20 ENA official upgrade to being it up-to-date. Easy.
    Beware, my Treo 650 became a brick when I used that method. I had to replace the motherboard to get it working again. . .

I took my down from CNG to 1.13 ROW and then, 1.2 ENA to 1,2 APR with no problem at all. PM me if you need any of these updater. I can send it to you.
    I understand that there are a lot of fixes to NVFS in the 700 and 680. Is the 650 ROM big enough to hold all of the 700 or 680 software? Would this be advisable?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast