Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    I'm tired of waiting on Palm to fix issues.

Someone with a 680, could we image the Rom? Or did they block that.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Does the 680 have the same issues as the 700P (or is it working smoothly)?
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    The 680 IMHO, is working very smoothly. haven't had any crashes swwitching between Versamail and Blazer. I extracted the Blazer and the files are on alt.binaries.warez.palmpilot if anyone chooses to try them. What other apps are you looking for? I can extract probably anything, but the cell phone specific apps probably won't work on the 700p. The romtool doesn't seem to work with the 680 as it is a different Treo platform.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
  4. jps
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum View Post
    The 680 IMHO, is working very smoothly. haven't had any crashes swwitching between Versamail and Blazer. I extracted the Blazer and the files are on alt.binaries.warez.palmpilot if anyone chooses to try them. What other apps are you looking for? I can extract probably anything, but the cell phone specific apps probably won't work on the 700p. The romtool doesn't seem to work with the 680 as it is a different Treo platform.
    I don't have access to a 700p, yet, so I have to ask - Does Grack's ROMTool, which we use to pull the ROM image from the 650, also work for the 700p?
    :: Verizon Treo 650 w/o Camera
    :: Hardware Rev B
    :: Current Update: 1.05A
    :: Custom ROM: -BigSur -BT -Camera -FATFS -Handango -Hidden -Languages -Pixer -RealPlayer -Tips -Tutorials -VideoAccess -World Clock -Welcome -WirelessSync +Datebook (700p) +FAT32 +Memo (700p) +PowerPrferences (700p) +ToDo (700p)
    Quote Originally Posted by jps View Post
    I don't have access to a 700p, yet, so I have to ask - Does Grack's ROMTool, which we use to pull the ROM image from the 650, also work for the 700p?
    No, the tool doesn't work. Also, the 680 ROM has been available for download for a long time now on this forum.
    Also note that most GSM roms do not work correctly on CDMA roms. The end result is a reset loop.
  7. jps
    I have seen and played with the 680 ROMs for some time. Though as aznmode pointed out, most of the time it does not work on my Tre 650 as it CDMA and the 680 ROMs are typically from GSMs. What I want is an intact 700p ROM from a CDMA unit....
    :: Custom ROM: -BigSur -BT -Camera -FATFS -Handango -Hidden -Languages -Pixer -RealPlayer -Tips -Tutorials -VideoAccess -World Clock -Welcome -WirelessSync +Datebook (700p) +FAT32 +Memo (700p) +PowerPrferences (700p) +ToDo (700p)
    Quote Originally Posted by jps View Post
    I have seen and played with the 680 ROMs for some time. Though as aznmode pointed out, most of the time it does not work on my Tre 650 as it CDMA and the 680 ROMs are typically from GSMs. What I want is an intact 700p ROM from a CDMA unit....
    ?? 700p ROMs have been available for many months. I\'ve got one zipped on my computer right now. If you need it, PM me. It\'s around 24MB.
    There was a link here somwhere where it points to the 700p dump rom. I can't seem to find it. Maybe because I'm using the mobile version of treocentral. Try doing a search for 700 dump rom. That was the title of the thread.
  10. jps
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode View Post
    There was a link here somwhere where it points to the 700p dump rom. I can't seem to find it. Maybe because I'm using the mobile version of treocentral. Try doing a search for 700 dump rom. That was the title of the thread.
    Yeah - this link: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=182
    What types of issues are the 700ps having? I had one for about a mnth when they first came out then went the WM route but may be back to palm. I remeber my 700p running fairly smooth with the exception of only 1 socket in use at a time. Whats the 680 improve? Thanks
    May be this has already been discussed, but without a ROM tool, how has the ROM for the 700 been extracted? Does this mean that somewhere in the world (looks like China) there is a ROM tool?
    I am doubtful that anything on the 680 will help with issues on the 700p - at least not the lag issue.

The lag problem is due to using memory hardware compatable with WM5 (i.e. 700w).

Anyone hear of plans for a 680w? Nope, me neither. Why? I don't think the hardware is compatible with WM5.

I would bet Palm's solution for the 680 was to slap 650ish hardware in there to eliminate the hardware specific issues found on the 700p. The 680 certainly has the same processor as the 650. It also does not have the EVDO radio in it which seems to take system priority in the 700p. IMO the 680 is really the antenna-less 650.5. Available in iColor.

My guess is that you may as well try to put 650 software in your 700p. But good luck if you wanna try it. I hope I'm wrong.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    I take some of that back. Looks like the same memory between 680 & 700 but different processor. May work.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    was trying to get a friend to go treo. visited a cingular store to try the treo 680 with no extra software or SD card. it spontaneously reset in Blazer after a few minutes. not a good sign. Palm has no idea what they're doing. My prism with sprint phone and glacial web browsing reset less often than my Treo 700
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    So, what is the latest end result?

Are any of the 680 apps workable(newer) on the 700p ?

Thanks