Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1.    #1  
    I like the the 680 but 2 things I'm tired of is the phone freezing. I've had it for a week so far and I've had to take the battery out at least 10 times due to the phone freezing. another thing that I don't like is the reception. I live in seattle and its not bad there but currently I'm in idaho and my sidekick got better service than this. I was on top of a 9000 foot mountain today and usually my sidekick works on top but with the 680 I got nothing but the no service sos only which made me extremely mad. hopefully palm can improve the radio on this.....
  2. #2  
    What 3rd party software have you installed? (My 680 doesn't freeze continually)

    I also find my reception on par with previous cells and treos.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    What 3rd party software have you installed? (My 680 doesn't freeze continually)

    I also find my reception on par with previous cells and treos.
    Same here. Only had a couple of freezes.
  4. #4  
    I've had My 680 (Palm Unlocked) now for a over 2 weeks Zero Lockups , Excellent Radio Reception ,Call Volume and Sound Quality.. I've had them all 270-600-(HP6515)-650 this is the Best yet Just running the Provided software & MobileTS for access to all my Servers. Running Versamail for Access to Exchange server & Gmail. Only Issue has been battery Life. Now that I have a Treo that Acctually Performs as a Usable Phone I'm spending More time talking on it and the Battery Run's down Quicker. Looking forward to the siedo battery Upgrade.
  5. #5  
    I've had two freeze-ups on my 680 in two weeks. One was definitely caused by SMS, and I seem to recall seeing a thread about some kind of SMS issue going on. The second one may have been SMS related, but I wasn't in the phone app when it happened so I'm not entirely sure on that one.
  6.    #6  
    I've downloaded toccer, mobitv, minitones, keyguard+time, TCPMP (a movie player) and I think that's it. my battery is slowly getting better. I've done a battery reset 3 times but I think its also because I've had it for over a week.
  7. #7  
    mine refuses to "wake up" sometimes - drives me nuts cuz I have to remove battery to get things working again!

    Installed apps - chatter, express, 4cast???

    who knows!
    Fred
    Cingular 680
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
    mine refuses to "wake up" sometimes - drives me nuts cuz I have to remove battery to get things working again!

    Installed apps - chatter, express, 4cast???

    who knows!
    Do you have Chatter configured to keep your mailboxes on an SD card? I was experiencing the same thing till I moved them off the SD card. Just wondering, because I was blaming it on this cheap SD card that I found.
    The wise man breaks wind and is gone... - J. Tull
  9. #9  
    yes I have them on a transcend 4gb card - chatter emails - would hate to take up main memory but if it helps?? not sure.

    also, she (cingular) gave me a 3g sim card for it, could this be an issue with it not waking up?
    Fred
    Cingular 680
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
    yes I have them on a transcend 4gb card - chatter emails - would hate to take up main memory but if it helps?? not sure.

    also, she (cingular) gave me a 3g sim card for it, could this be an issue with it not waking up?
    Not sure about the SIM card, but it may be worth it to try the mailboxes in main memory for a while, just to test the theory. If there is a problem, then at least we know where to go next.
    The wise man breaks wind and is gone... - J. Tull
  11. #11  
    Seems that on occassion it 'pauses' is this what you mean by freezing?

    Sure when launching an app from the sd card i see the white screen.

    BUT, i try to wake up the T680 and it does not respond immediately.
    TCPMP glitches everynow and then.
    (ptunes so far has been great)
    This behavior usually occurs (even on the T650) when it's registering for a network and afterwards registering for gprs (data)

    Does anyone think (if you are on cingular, esp here in LA) that's it's caused by the LACK of integration of the networks? or i hope better stated, the LACK OF SMOOTH HANDOFFS between towers?

    Especially here at home i get -SOS... no network available. Well at home i don't get the greatest coverage SO SURELY the phone will pause while it's trying to locate a tower/signal...

    Anyone else?
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

    justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by th3godf4th3r View Post
    I've downloaded toccer, mobitv, minitones, keyguard+time, TCPMP (a movie player) and I think that's it. my battery is slowly getting better. I've done a battery reset 3 times but I think its also because I've had it for over a week.
    Toccer is not yet listed as for the 680. Minitones is not yet listed for the 680, keyguard is not yet listed as compatible.......is there a theme here.

    If you load "uncertified" software and don't expect the phone to "react" well........

    Regarding reception - T-Mobile may just have better service in the Seattle area but isn't a Sidekick strictly data? I know the early ones were..... A data connection is often possible where voice isn't so if you were receiving data but not "phone" on your mountain then that's part of it.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
  13.    #13  
    sidekick is voice and data. whatever I don't care. it just pisses me off. I wasn't receiving anything at all. no data or voice or anything
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by th3godf4th3r View Post
    sidekick is voice and data. whatever I don't care. it just pisses me off. I wasn't receiving anything at all. no data or voice or anything
    There is a 30 day return priviledge so.....return it.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
  15.    #15  
    I'm not returning it. every phone I get alwayd has a problem with it and this is the problem with this one. don't try to be a smart a$$ please
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by th3godf4th3r View Post
    I'm not returning it. every phone I get alwayd has a problem with it and this is the problem with this one. don't try to be a smart a$$ please
    You post your complaint about the phone freezing. I point out that you have at least 2 programs on the Treo that are not certified to work - which will cause the phone to "freeze". You complain about the lack of signal compared to a totally different cellular provider. I point out that you can still return the phone under the 30 day priviledge since you are so dissapointed.

    I never tried to be a "smarta$$" until now - I'm not certain how often you will need to make that phone call from the 9,000 foot mountain but if you come here to this forum and post a thread and then don't acknowledge that your programs installed might be the root cause of the phone "freezing" and I was simply trying to advise you of this fact - then stay on top of that 9,000 foot mountain with your sidekick and be happy.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
  17.    #17  
    what are you talking about to another service provider. I'm with tmobile, the sidekick is with tmobile. no where do I mention another service provider. and have you not been watching the news, mmmmhmm I wonder what the importance of having a cell phone on top of a mountain is. when your trying to contact someone or someone is trying to contact you wouldn't you like to answer?? and I have to have these programs or else I prolly wouldn't have this phone, I'm a heavy IM person and until you make a program for the 680 then I have to use toccer. not my problem that geeks can't make a good program for any phone.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by th3godf4th3r View Post
    what are you talking about to another service provider. I'm with tmobile, the sidekick is with tmobile. no where do I mention another service provider. and have you not been watching the news, mmmmhmm I wonder what the importance of having a cell phone on top of a mountain is. when your trying to contact someone or someone is trying to contact you wouldn't you like to answer?? and I have to have these programs or else I prolly wouldn't have this phone, I'm a heavy IM person and until you make a program for the 680 then I have to use toccer. not my problem that geeks can't make a good program for any phone.
    Who's forcing you to use this phone with these programs? If your IT department is forcing you to use this phone and these programs - well then they haven't got a clue. Have you notified Tmobile that you are using an unlocked Treo 680? It may be that their network is not yet configured to properly use the 680's ESID number and as such your service is poor because the phone is not yet recognized by the network.

    The problem is not that the geeks can't make a good program for any phone - the problem is if you are going to be an early adopter of a new piece of hardware then you have to allow the developers time to develop for the new hardware. This phone is 1 month old today - it may take another 90 days for the truly dedicated software providers to catch up with all of the issues that are different on the 680 compared to a sidekick or another piece of hardware.

    Regarding the safety issue of using a phone on a mountain - cellular service is spotty at best outside of a metro area. And that is unfortunately reality. It would be nice to have phone service everywhere and that day is coming, however, it is not yet a reality with current cellular technology. It is possible with satellite technology but that's not relevant now is it.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by RSGMOOSE View Post
    Toccer is not yet listed as for the 680. Minitones is not yet listed for the 680, keyguard is not yet listed as compatible.......is there a theme here.

    If you load "uncertified" software and don't expect the phone to "react" well........

    Regarding reception - T-Mobile may just have better service in the Seattle area but isn't a Sidekick strictly data? I know the early ones were..... A data connection is often possible where voice isn't so if you were receiving data but not "phone" on your mountain then that's part of it.
    non of these are loaded on my 680 and I still get the "no wake up" issue....I load only tested apps but still have this issue.
    Fred
    Cingular 680
  20. #20  
    I started with the 300, 600, 650, and now the 680. I have had it an week and constant freezes/lockup. Sometimes when the light powers out no buttons will turn the phone back on. I have to take the battery out wait a couple of minutes and place is back in.

    This occurrs perhaps 4 to 5 maybe more times a day. I think that the versamail may have something to do with it because I have Vm to check every hour and sure enough about every hour it will freeze.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions