1.    #1  
    Has anyone figured out a way to use the new google maps for the 700p with a bluetooth GPS receiver. If not google maps any other map package
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Hmm, After using TeleNav and watching that video I think I will stick with TeleNav.....
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
    I am getting ready to order TeleNav too. If Google maps ever gets GPS receiver support than I might drop TeleNav. I got a nice deal on the BT-359 from Cingular for $99.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    It looks like the WM folks have GPS support for their Google maps application.

"Finally, as this point, you can check the 'Track Location (GPS)' within Google Maps' Menu and it will work - Google Maps automatically gets the correct COM port from Windows Mobile."

Hopefully we will see something similar for the Palm version.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    I guess you folks realize that you need phone service to use any of these approaches, but if you buy a TomTom or Garmin stand-alone system (BT receiver + maps (stored on SD card) + software), it works anywhere, no matter how far away you are from a cell tower? Plus unlike TeleNav there are no recurring costs. Just my 2 cents, stand-alone works best for me but maybe not for others.
    Last edited by bobodobo; 02/05/2007 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Fixed grammatical errors - can't stand 'em...
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Id like to see the is work for palm .. but I would be happy if Google maps would just include expressway exit numbers on their maps.
  8.    #8  
    After trying different packages , I went with mapopolis for the car. It works great
    and you can set it up to use the major roads of a state or you can use county by county maps. The level of support that they provide is great. I use something different for hiking and what not
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    Mapopolis is a joke compared to tomtom 6 for Plam
    After being unable to find Topo or street maps for Iraq for the Palm, I'm looking at going with the Garmin 60CSx instead.

Oh, well, something else to hang off of my web gear...
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by leonidm View Post
    Mapopolis is a joke compared to tomtom 6 for Plam
    I havent tried tom tom 6, but I did have tom tom 5 and on a 700p it was really bad. The worse part was that Palm was the one selling it and telling everyone that it worked out of the box . It didnt. I hear that there is now a patch to make it work but it's too late now. Mapopolis may not be fancy, but it works.

Mapopoplis is $75 Tomtom6 is $150 and Emtac is $130.
    Is tomtom6 really twice as good as mapopolis. They sure are not in the tech support area. Im just glad that we have 3 options for the palm
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by IDtheTarget View Post
    After being unable to find Topo or street maps for Iraq for the Palm, I'm looking at going with the Garmin 60CSx instead.

Oh, well, something else to hang off of my web gear...
    This may be a source of maps for you

http://spatialnews.geocomm.com/features/iraqmaps/

Also USGS is supposed to have some maps also.

I wouldnt use any kind of pda as a gps receiver in an environment as harsh as iraq. If you are a soldier who has to do a tour in iraq and you are trying to be prepared you should let some veterans organazations know what you are upto. Vets believe in helping vets.
    If the garmin unit is the best unit to have , it may be possible to get garmin to give all active duty people some type of discount on the item. It may even be possible to do a group purchase for soldiers. As a vet myself who still remembers having to pay out of my pocket for my tiger stipe fatiges it burns my **** to see young people have to fight without the proper equipment