Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1.    #1  
    The following is an excerpt from a review on the 700p. Please not the underlined text.

    "Web
    Blazer v4.5 is included for browsing the web. Blazer has been enhanced with new caching rules that make browsing both mobile device optimized and full size websites a more pleasant experience. Instead of having to refresh and reload the entire page each time you exit the browser or use the back and forward buttons, the page is reloaded from the device cache. This enables much faster navigation and rendering when browsing the web or jumping from the browser to another application and back.
    "

    source: PalmInfoCenter

    I'm just wondering if there was a good reason why this wasn't (or maybe couldn't be) done on the 650 - a device with near-dial-up speeds.
    Memory limitations, perhaps?

    I love my 650, but always having to reload a webpage, just because I switched apps? For the birds.

    Assuming cached sites for going "back" or "forward" ( or reloading, in general) would be needed on the 650 a helluva lot more than the 700p. Putting this on the 700p is like never getting your 5-year-old training wheels for her bike, then putting them on her car when she turns sixteen.
  2. azieba's Avatar
    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    #2  
    west3man... I think that is actually happening. I have Verizon and when I went to firmware 1.05a, blazer sped up dramatically. This would be Blazer 4.3.2 and when I bumped up the cache to 3MB in blazer, I noticed frequently traveled sites were faster. Even still, my collegue at work has a 700p and it's still not as fast as a PC... But then again, images on the web are usually large and these devices can only handle/process so much... Eventually, all the carriers will firmware upgrade and get the new blazer -- as far as I know Verizon is the only one that has done so, so far.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by azieba View Post
    west3man... I think that is actually happening. I have Verizon and when I went to firmware 1.05a, blazer sped up dramatically. This would be Blazer 4.3.2 and when I bumped up the cache to 3MB in blazer, I noticed frequently traveled sites were faster. Even still, my collegue at work has a 700p and it's still not as fast as a PC... But then again, images on the web are usually large and these devices can only handle/process so much... Eventually, all the carriers will firmware upgrade and get the new blazer -- as far as I know Verizon is the only one that has done so, so far.
    That's interesting, azieba. Thanks.

    I'll try to tweak my settings and see if that makes some difference, at least.

    How big of a difference did you say it made on your 650?
  4.    #4  
    Holy crap, what a difference!

    I only tried a couple of blog pages, so far, but hitting the 'back' and 'forward' buttons resulted in pages loading much faster than they originally did.

    I'll try something larger, eventually - maybe some big ol' ebaY search results pages.


    I'm really surprised this worked because I'd already tweaked that setting, before. For some reason, when I checked "preferences," it was down to a 0 MB maximum. I KNOW I set it higher than that, so it must change when the phone is reset or something. I dunno.

    I'll watch it once in a while, though.
  5.    #5  
    I just got a phone call while I was on a site that had loaded very quickly since I made the settings change. When I went back to the web browser, it loaded the page from-scratch - much more slowly than the last time.

    I have to assume it clears the cache when I switch applications or something, although the "Clear cache on exit" option is not selected.

    Hmm...
  6. azieba's Avatar
    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    #6  
    West3man, some webpages tell the browser to ignore cache on initial visit. After getting out of blazer and going back in, it is considered a new session. I deal with this stuff at the PC level, because my department supports the corporate proxy server -- so that piece is not just a Treo thing...
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by azieba View Post
    West3man, some webpages tell the browser to ignore cache on initial visit. After getting out of blazer and going back in, it is considered a new session. I deal with this stuff at the PC level, because my department supports the corporate proxy server -- so that piece is not just a Treo thing...
    Ahh. Very interesting.

    Do you know if 700W or other Windows-based Treo's/PDAs keep the page loaded when you switch applications?

    Makes me wonder if that's a mark in favor of the 700W. (I'm considering getting a 700P, soon.)
  8. azieba's Avatar
    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    #8  
    700w is a different story because Windows is multitasking so the web browser does close down when you answer a call. In fact you can surf while on the call.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by azieba View Post
    700w is a different story because Windows is multitasking
    That's why I wondered.

    Quote Originally Posted by azieba View Post
    so the web browser does close down when you answer a call. In fact you can surf while on the call.
    You mean "doesn't," right?

    Hmmm. That's kind of a biggie - except that I've still got the 650 mindset. With a bunch more memory and faster download speeds, the 700p's browsing may be comparable enough to the 700w's.

    Do you favor one over the other - for any reason?
  10. azieba's Avatar
    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    #10  
    Correct, doesn't... Personally, I think I will move the Windows mobile platform on my next purchase. Waiting for my contract to expire at the end of the year to see who my company will pick. (I don't pay for my phone service, it's through work so I am bound to their carriers).
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by azieba View Post
    Correct, doesn't... Personally, I think I will move the Windows mobile platform on my next purchase. Waiting for my contract to expire at the end of the year to see who my company will pick. (I don't pay for my phone service, it's through work so I am bound to their carriers).
    So, you prefer Windows Mobile or whatever? Howcum?
  12. azieba's Avatar
    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    #12  
    Well, I have a 12 months to make up my mind before my contract expires, so I have used Windows Mobile (prior to v5) and I liked it. Unless Palm makes some good strides with Palm OS/ALP platform in the next 12 months, I will probably go to Windows Mobile. There is just a number of features that I think should have been in Palm by now that aren't. Going to Windows Mobile requires a learning curve (at it takes a couple of weeks) but all the functionality is there and Palm itself seems to have a strong vested interest in it. My other feeling is, if I am on Windows Mobile and I don't like the device, I can always migrate to newer hardware (or other manufacturer) with minimal issue as there a lot of WM devices out there and every carrier has at least one.

Posting Permissions