Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    1. Battery Life
    2. Built in voice dialing
    3. Press a letter - goto next app listed with that letter (e.g., 'tt' finds second app beginning with letter 't')

PS: this is the best Treo I have had. 650 was not stable enough to leave phone on for more than a few minutes. This one I can leave on for days - T680 is GREAT!
    Quote Originally Posted by DFNoJunk View Post
    1. Battery Life
    It's a smaller battery. Get over it or get an extended one from Seidio. The problem isn't the "life" of the battery, it's that something isn't turning off thus drawing power that shouldn't combined with a power meter that wasn't calibrated properly at the factory.
    2. Built in voice dialing
    Via BT.
    3. Press a letter - goto next app listed with that letter (e.g., 'tt' finds second app beginning with letter 't')
    At least one launcher does this: Initiate.
    PS: this is the best Treo I have had. 650 was not stable enough to leave phone on for more than a few minutes. This one I can leave on for days - T680 is GREAT!
    My 650 was very stable. Eventually.

RLock to keep certain apps that need to remain in the dbcache in the dbcach when it's flushed. RBackup flushing the cache nightly after a backup. The occasional manual dbcache flush via MemInfo. And, of course, upgrading to the latest firmware (1.17-CNG in my case).
    When set to engage after a delay, the keyguard will sometimes fail to engage at all when the device is turned off either programatically (ie, the backup software is set to turn off the device when done) or when it idles off.
    As a first time Treo user, here are the key bugs I would list for palm to fix in the next Treo680 update based what I have seen:
    * fix the battery drain bug caused by using the camera even once. Once I followed the battery guidelines posted in various forums (totally drain and 24 hr charge battery a couple of times, do hard reset by removing batt for a minute while charging, BT off, IR off, screen dimmer) I found I was getting about 1% drain per hour with the phone on and minor usage (a few calls, a few emails) so the phone lasted about 4 days without a charge. But I found that the moment I took just ONE photo the battery drain immediately went up to 3-4% per hour and stayed that way until I did another hard reset (and after that it went back to 1% per hour drain again). looks like the camera is staying on and not going back to standby after it is closed.
    * Corruption of network display and subsequent loss of phone function. Sometimes, the Cingular network name in the top left of the screen shows garbage characters and the phone no longer works. I have only seen then after driving a distance so I suspect that there is a bug when crossing cell boundaries. once in this state I tried turning off the phone then turning it on again and the first time you do this the network search returns after a long wait with No Service. If you then try to turn the phone off again it locks up. The only solution I found was the remove the battery.
    * The blazer browser has some bugs where some key web sites don't work. A good example is ebay where you cannot sign in to the full site (you can only sign in to the wap version). To me a key use of the treo was to get at nom-wap web pages and if it cannot do that reliably then it is no better than any other wap-capable phone
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    i hope Palm releases a much awaited firmware upgrade as early as possible
    i'm NOT addicted to palm devices. can you give me my treo now?
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    i really need one.
    i'm NOT addicted to palm devices. can you give me my treo now?
    Although I'm very happy with the formfactor of the 680, I'm now at a point where I think that I have taken a step back. My 650 was reasonably stable, but this... So here's my list of points for the much awaited firmware update:

- fix the bluetooth issues (when disconnected from a bluetooth carkit, my 680 still 'thinks' it's connected and therefore won't put the sound of a call to the internal speaker, I have to cancel bluetooth first)
    - there are a lot of lags when switching applications
    - when I press the off-button, it takes up to 20 seconds before the Treo shuts off.
    - sometimes pockettunes stutters and Tomtom doesn't produce any sound at all. (nor do I hear ringtones) after a reset, the problem's gone.
    - sometimes, when someone calls me, the 680.

Until now I was very happy with all the Palm products, this one however is driving me nuts.

Is there any idea when Palm will release an updated firmware by the way?
    Last edited by astra; 01/16/2007 at 06:51 AM.
    the "over the air installer" for the battery patch isn't working. the download completes, but it doesn't run. did anyone else experience this?
    Yes. If you go to the launcher after downloading it, you'll see an icon there for for "Camera Updater". Just run that and let it do it's reset. You won't see the icon there afterward.
    1. Battery meter. It needs to accurately display the battery life without the soft-reset "trick".

2. Battery charge. Currently it seems that, if you leave it charging, it will max and then begin to drain again (for example, take it off the charger and it will read 92%, which can then be charged again). It should be able to keep charging at full when on the charger.

3. Freezing. Whether it's related to the automated cell network time/date set or not (I still have the problem even with it turned off), the phone will hiccup and freeze at times. It will free when answering calls, leading to lost calls.

4. Keyguard. It needs to lock out all key touches, not just prevent them causing actions. If a key press can disable an alarm or negate a call, it's not being properly guarded.

5. More of a bonus than a bug fix. Make sure all native apps support 5 way. Agenda view in calendar, for example, inexplicably has no 5-way support.
    Quote Originally Posted by rener View Post

3. Freezing. Whether it's related to the automated cell network time/date set or not (I still have the problem even with it turned off), the phone will hiccup and freeze at times. It will free when answering calls, leading to lost calls.
    I have this problem too
  12.    #112  
    didn't see this in there:

allow SHORTCUTS to work while on a call. for example I set the letter 'b' to activate bluetooth in the phone app. doesn't work while I'm on a call (precisely when I need it). does work from the sidw button. this used to work on the [SIGNICANTLY BETTER PHONE APP ON THE] 650.
    1. Power Management -- The 680 appears to have some significant power management issues. First, the battery meter doesn't appear to accurately reflect the state of charge in the battery. While some of the tricks noted on the boards do help, Palm needs to investigate this issue. Second, the 680 doesn't trickle charge properly. I shouldn't take the 680 off the charger with less of a charge then when i put it on the charger.
    2. Key Guard -- Having the keys locked eats my calendar alarms. I haven't attempted to find out if it eats all alarms, but this is definitely bad enough. I set alarms on calendar events for a reason, having the key guard negate the alarms really reduces the functionality of the PDA part of the Treo for me.
    3. Internal Clock -- The clock in the 680 should not drift as badly as it does. I'd prefer not to keep the time set properly using the network as this method of time synchronization appears to have some issues of its own.
    4. Beam Receive -- When I leave beam receive on, I experience quite a large drain on the battery. I've never seen beam receive have such a strong impact on any of the other Palm devices I've owned.

While I realize that there are differences between the 650 and 680 hardware (and the OS level as well), I'm very surprised about the relatively immaturity of the Treo 680 as compared to the Treo 650. Palm gained quite a lot of experience with the 650 and appear to have used almost none of that when it comes to the basic functionality of the 680.

-- Michael
    1. no issues here anymore after the camera patch
    2. That's a bug, true. But it has not caused me any problems (yet).
    3. Does it drift ? Can't tell, I use Timecopy which syncs time every time I sync (no network time where I live).
    4. Basic Palm 101. If you want to conserve battery,shut down beam receive.
    Am I correct in assuming you never had previous devices besides Treo ?
    My M105 could almost cut its battery life in two when beam receive was on (was still 1 week with 2 AAA cells, though )
    Digital since 1980, Handheld since 2001
    M105, TE, T3.5, Treo 680, Treo 500v
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
    holvoetn,

1. Power usage has been much better since installing the camera patch, that's absolutely true. That doesn't seem to have affected the charging issue on my 680. I can put the 680 on charge overnight starting at 65% and in the morning the charge is at 37% though the LED and the battery indicator indicate that the unit IS charging. (This doesn't happen consistently, but often enough that i consider it to be a regular event. Normal charging will resume if i remove the charger from the Treo and then reattach it.)
    2. Keyguard, yes, it's a definite bug. It's more annoying than anything, but i do find myself checking the time-of-day and my calendar much more frequently rather than relying on the 680 to be able to remind me of an upcoming appointment.
    3. The clock in my 680 does drift. Time syncing at hotsync time does help keep the problem under control, but when i'm away from a desktop for a few hours the 680's clock can drift tens of minutes if network time is disabled; not so good.
    4. I've owned quite a few Palm devices and do know of the impact beam receive being on can have on power usage. But the beam receive drain on the Treo 680 is quite a bit more significant than i've seen on my other devices. This leads me to wonder if this is tied in with a larger power management issue in general.

Despite these problems, the Treo is still a good device. It's my third Treo, having owned the 600 and the 650 previously. Those were preceded by a whole range of Palm based handhelds beginning with the Pilot 5000 (which i still have and it still works!).

Best regards,
    -- Michael
    1) I use the Phone Lock feature, so I have to enter a numeric code to unlock the SIM when ever I turn the phone on. I would like to see a numeric keyboard on screen (instead of just a text field), a bit like the phone dialer pad, but I would like to be able to navigate the on-screen keys using the five-way controller and the center button to select the number with the focus. (Exactly like the calculator in UltraSoft Checkbook).
    2) Similarly I would like to be able to navigate the on-screen dial pad using the five-way rather than having to poke the screen with my finger or use the real keys, which I find a bit fiddly.
    These two are in addition to flickering keyboard problem.
    Last edited by Mooey; 02/01/2007 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Typos!
    While hotsyncing, incoming phone calls come in and interfere with the sync process
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  18.    #118  
    Fix the creaking keyboard on some devices.

between my wife and I we have been through 5x 680's which have had one problem or another. 2 reds, 1 Orange, One white and now one Grey.

The case on the grey one creaks at the edges and the space bar sometimes makes a clicking noise. very annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    While hotsyncing, incoming phone calls come in and interfere with the sync process
    That should not happen
    Normally when hotsyncing your phone functions should be disabled automatically ... at least that is how I read it should work and it is also what I already experienced.
    Digital since 1980, Handheld since 2001
    M105, TE, T3.5, Treo 680, Treo 500v
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
    Strange but true, hile my 680 was Hotsyncing it received a call!!
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News