Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Maybe we should inundate Palm'e customer support with rferences to this web page fromPalm themselves:

http://www.palmos.com/dev/support/do...UI_Design.html

somebody forgot to do a LOT of these things when they let the Treo 680 out of the production door!
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgewizard View Post
    Definitely need a 2.5 Audio jack - not a Palm proprietary one.
    It's not proprietary. It's a standard sized telephone headset jack. The same wired headset that I use with my landline phone also works for my Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudegar B View Post
    Does anyone have an idea on when Palm will release a firmware update?
    If I recall correctly, it was over 6 months before we got a firmware update with the 650. Unless they recognize these as critical issues I think 6 months is the minimum timeframe for an update.
    When a calendar alarm fires and the 680 wakes up, the keyguard dialog is NOT VISIBLE and does not trap the first keypress. In fact the untrapped first keypress is being passed onto any waiting application...

Hitting any key now brings up the keyguard and the keys are now locked, however that untrapped keypress also simultaneously silences the alarm... prior to dismissing the now visible keyguard and prior to even being able to decide on how to handle it on the alert screen.

This faulty 680 keyguard makes it completely undependable for proper notification of appointments and commitments via Calendar alarms and alerts and calls if a case or jostling in a pocket inadvertently presses any key.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_OTR_Fan View Post
    When a calendar alarm fires and the 680 wakes up, the keyguard dialog is NOT VISIBLE and does not trap the first keypress. In fact the untrapped first keypress is being passed onto any waiting application...

Hitting any key now brings up the keyguard and the keys are now locked, however that untrapped keypress also simultaneously silences the alarm... prior to dismissing the now visible keyguard and prior to even being able to decide on how to handle it on the alert screen.

This faulty 680 keyguard makes it completely undependable for proper notification of appointments and commitments via Calendar alarms and alerts and calls if a case or jostling in a pocket inadvertently presses any key.

Yes, this is a huge problem that I have verified on every 680 I have tested it on. Everyone should read your thread http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=132231 on this issue for detailed information regarding this horrible flaw.
    1/ battery life

2/ problem with extra digits before the phone no. (only happens when called from "Favorites"). my number is usually hidden. if I want to present it to a trusted person, I dial *31# before the number. It still works with Treo 680 - if I dial full number with prefix manually. But when it is predefined for a hot-key in Favorites - application for dialing ignores prefix *31# and dials only the number.

Still - Treo 680 - the best of all.

Vojtek11
    Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy View Post
    I think the 680 is the best Palm device I have owned, but there are a number of bugs they need to sort out as we can see in this forum. suggest this is made sticky.

Palm, please fix:

Battery life - its terrible
    Speaker volume
    General Volume
    Phone App - fix favorites to show M or W when press space
    Some of us want the flashing green LED when phone is on
    periodic lags moving from apps
  8.    #68  
    A2dp.
  9.    #69  
    lack of A2DP.

I think this and low volume output are as they are because its a way to keep power usage down / prolong battery life. in other words, Palm knows the battery is lousy.
    When I delete a SMS message, go to the next one in the list. I had that on the 600, but little more clunky on the 680.
    1. Edit Graffiti Shortcuts back in Prefs. Users of Graffiti Anywhere will appreciate this, but it's useful even for those who like using the keyboard.
    2. "Hang Up" button on the current call screen.
    3. Profiles for setting ring signal, message alerts, etc, like on all old Nokia 'phones.
    4. Editing the contacts list is not very intuitive, needs some improvement there.
    5. Improper Keyguard Operation.
    For me, battery life hasn't been an issue. I'm happy if I can use it without having to think about the battery and put it on charge when I go to bed each evening. With Bluetooth turned off, no auto updates of date and time, and if I refrain from using PocketTunes, I can get two or three days of use, which is no worse than my old Nokia 6600.
    In order of importance:

1) Battery life (of course)
    2) Network settings being lost after reset (why, or why does this happen? This is /really/ annoying)
    3) LED like the 650 (please, please, please) - I use chatter on my phone, and not being able to customize the LED for different emails is a huge problem.
    4) Keyguard broken (as already mentioned)
    5) #2 is made worse by random resets. Then again, that could be the fault of chatter or some other third party program, so I don't really mind as much. At least, I wouldn't if the Treo would properly resume the correct network connection on restart. D'oh.

Seems like all or most ought to be relatively simple with a firmware upgrade since that's how the 650 was. I'm not asking for new features, just for parity with the older device I upgraded from. (I realize that battery life might not count -- I don't mind buying an extended life battery, but somebody better start making some soon as I can't make it through a day of even relatively medium usage, let alone heavy usage)
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManLink View Post
    [LIST=1][*]"Hang Up" button on the current call screen.
    Why do we need a Hang Up button on the current screen when you have the Red Hangup button?
    1. sometime imprecise clock.
    2. Should to add Call Duration on Calllog.
    3. sometime Screen & Keyboard light slight Flicker.
    4. Add setting to Keyboard light off.
    5. Should to record Voice Memo to Expansion Card.
    The battery meter needs to be fixed because many users and i have been able to used our treo 680s long past the 0% mark, so there is something wrong with the software
    Quote Originally Posted by numatrix View Post
    2) Network settings being lost after reset (why, or why does this happen? This is /really/ annoying)
    This does not happen to me. I've had a few crashes and manual resets on my 680 and I have not lost my network preferences.
    3) LED like the 650 (please, please, please) - I use chatter on my phone, and not being able to customize the LED for different emails is a huge problem.
    I just want the blinking LED back to let me know the phone is on.
    5) #2 is made worse by random resets. Then again, that could be the fault of chatter or some other third party program, so I don't really mind as much. At least, I wouldn't if the Treo would properly resume the correct network connection on restart. D'oh.
    Check the error log to see why it's crashing. Don't guess, find out why so you can fix it.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I believe there is also an issue regarding the MMC/SD card. I have the Palm 1GM MMC card that came with the unlocked 680s and every so often my 680 gets into a "mood" where it won't see the card. If I perform a System Reset (pop the battery and then hold down the up rocker when rebooting) it always sees the card, so I don't think this is a hardware problem. Removing Hobbyist Software's Butler and Reset Doctor restores access to the SD card, but talking with their developer he believes it is due to the order applications are enabled after a reset, since I can reload both apps and the SD card will work for a period of time (hours to many days) before the problem reoccurs. When the problem occurs removing the SD/MMC card gives the removal beep but inserting the card doesn't give any indication. I have tried other SD cards and there is no difference. The Card Info app shows the card as an unknown MultiMedia card. I have also tried formatting the card in the Treo 680 and that didn't make a difference. So I believe there is something going on with the 680 and MMC/SD cards. Anyone else have this issue?

-- Rod
    --- Rod

AVIDWireless - AVIDm2m - AVIDRapidTools
    Web: www.avidwireless.com Demo: www.aviddemo.com
    Dallas, Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordol View Post
    This does not happen to me. I've had a few crashes and manual resets on my 680 and I have not lost my network preferences.
    Just a quick question... are you using a profile other than the default for WAP? And what ROM are you running?

I'm on 1.04-ROW (unlocked GSM) and the loss of the network setting seems to happen upon restart, regardless of whether it was application-caused, software-invoked (menu-R in ZLauncher), or caused by power outage/removal of battery. And, to be clear, there's no loss of data in the network profiles themselves -- I actually changed the password for the WAP profile to something invalid so it can't connect that way -- but rather which profile it wants to use when connecting. It would seem that either the preference reverts upon restart or maybe wasn't committed to being a permanent value in the first place.

I mention ROM version because I did get confirmation from someone running an old 1.01-ROW (pre-release, dev testing) that this problem wasn't occuring then. And it may or may not be happening for people running CNG versions.
    I have ROW 1.04 on my device and do NOT see the loss of preferences on battery removal or 3th party induced soft reset (Zlauncher), ....
    I am not using WAP FWIW.

Firmware version is listed as MW01.50
    Digital since 1980, Handheld since 2001
    M105, TE, T3.5, Treo 680, Treo 500v
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
    Quote Originally Posted by holvoetn View Post
    I have ROW 1.04 on my device and do NOT see the loss of preferences on battery removal or 3th party induced soft reset (Zlauncher), ....
    I am not using WAP FWIW.

Firmware version is listed as MW01.50
    Unfortunately, the following from your response to my reply for extra detail suggests that you wouldn't ever see this problem because (a) you're not using GPRS/EDGE and (b) you wouldn't have more than one profile nor have selected one other than the default put there by the cell provider.

I do not use WAP nor GPRS, too expensive plus I am using a SIM card paid by my employer so I can not use it for personal purposes on his account.
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast