Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    my wish the improvements that Treo should include in their next ROM update

#1: battery issue
    #2: call duration
    #3: after the screen goes dark, it resets to the Home screen instead of returning to the previous screen. This is very irritating if you're editing or viewing a document and when the screen goes blank, you have to 'restart' the apps again.
    #4: allow 'pause' & 'wait' in Contacts as well, instead of just in Favorites only
    #5: dual pane Favorite
    #6: time loss during reset
    #7: increase the limit of the number of SMS, currently it stays at 300 incoming & outgoing sms per number.
    #8: ability to get rid of certain apps, such as My Treo, Quick Tour and others.
    1# not an issue for me. I can get close to 2 days easily wit a LOT of calls.
    2# mycalllog, freeware. See here for a review
    3# ?? ?? That is what Home is intended to be used for. Use Power, last screen will pop up again. Unless I do not understand what you mean ?
    4# agree
    5# not needed
    6# this is only when you remove the battery. I never lose time when invoking a reset manually.
    7# 300 ? Clean house, man ! Why do you want to keep that much ?
    8# Change Flash ROM There is a quite extensive thread about that around here.
    Digital since 1980, Handheld since 2001
    M105, TE, T3.5, Treo 680, Treo 500v
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Hi holvoetn,

#1: this might not be an issue for you, but it is quite an issue for quite a number of people based on the posts made in 8 previous pages.
    #2: Yeah, I saw the link, and it is made by you was it? I like it immediately I saw it as it is more powerful than simply displaying call duration. However, you have to admit displaying call duration should had been natively included in T680 without resorting to 3rd party programs. This capability exist in T650, why remove it in T680?
    #3: Bear with me if this sounds too long. Let's say you're reading a pdf file and the screen goes blank as it is 'untouched' for the specified amount of time (say 1 minute). When you want to 'on' the Treo again, it will revert back to one of the 4 buttons (phone, calender, message, home). In T600, re-'on' the phone, it will display whatever is last displayed (in this case will be the pdf file)
    I find this an issue as you have to keep launching the pdf reader and the pdf reader has to launch that file again whenever the Treo switches 'off'.
    #5: it is needed especially if you're driving. dual pane favourite will allow you to display 10-12 favourites at a time, rather than scrolling.
    #6: I do quite an extensive international travelling and often I have to change SIM card, so those times are lost. After all, which device lose time whenever you change battery? Never heard any PDA or even mobile phone that lose time when changing battery, T680 is the first one.
    #7: it is good to keep as in my business sometimes the info is needed few months later. and it will be good too whenever you get into an arguement with your partner, you'll have evidence to prove your point.
    #8: Flash ROM? I'll search on that one.

Thanks!
    #1 Palm made a decision to include a 1200mAh battery. Wether it was a good one or a bad one, let's leave that in the middle (it also has an impact on cost, let's not forget that). Fact is that this is a known fact from the beginning so you can obviously expect poorer battery time when comparing against 650.
    There are plenty of replacements available should you want to put in a bigger battery.
    #2 there are other programs included by default I really do NOT want I actually think that is the power of PalmOS: you can always find a solution to whatever problem.
    #3 I still do not understand. Use the Power button (the only Red one on your device), doesn't that bring you back to where you were ? I just tried to be sure using DtG-PDF reader, it works for me.
    #5 assign a speed dial key, no lookup needed anymore (and a LOT safer too while driving )
    #6: unless I am mistaking no electronic clock will keep time on its own. My T3 also lost time every time (pun ) I changed the battery, my M105 also loses time every time I leave the battery out for too long.
    Heck, even my car clock loses time when something happens to the battery.
    Really, I do not understand how this can be catalogued as 'an issue'. Unless 680 is supposed to transform energy out of air ??
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    #1: yeah, everybody realizes about the 1200mah battery capacity. however, several reports did say that it might be software issues.
    #2: yeah, that's true too. I might be wrong as I'm not a programmer, but my little knowledge led me to believe that modular design tend to have limits. If every software needs to be 'called' when the OS is rebooting, there might be a jam.
    #3: Actually you do understand and it is my mistake, I'm learning new thing again. I didn't know till now, that's how you do it.
    #5: 30 speed dials and I need to memorize all of them?
    #6: of course all clocks lose time in the long run. But Nokia and other mobile phones don't lose time when changing battery. Other PDAs don't lose time when changing battery. Other smartphones don't lose time when changing battery, so why should Palm be different...
    I just want to be able to sync my 680 with my Palm Desktop... Is that too much to ask for? <g>

Battery life needs improvement
    Being able to disconnect from the internet (esp. overseas) without having to turn the phone off and on again
    Stop the screen from flickerin on and off
    AND: Who else is annoyed by this: When typing a NEW message, the SEND button is on the left corner, but when replying to an OLD message, the SEND button is in the center. I'm always hitting the CANCEL button by mistake when writing a new message...
    Ok, I'm done for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    1. A simple freeware accomplishes it, called Profiles.

2. Call timer.. It's right on the screen during a call!

3. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $screen$ $never$ $turns$ $off$, $it$ $just$ $dims$. $But$ $even$ $if$ $it$ $does$, $press$ $a$ $hard$ $key$, $like$ $the$ $Home$ $key$. $That$'$ll$ $return$ $you$ $to$ $the$ $launcher$. $Or$ $if$ $you$ $need$ $to$ $see$ $the$ $phone$ $app$ ($send$ $digits$ $or$ $such$), $just$ $press$ $the$ $Phone$ $button$. $Obviously$ $don$'$t$ $press$ $the$ $Red$ $button$!

4. If you're out of range, it flickers the orange LED. Doesn't stay on 100%.
    1 Please post link for Profiles,
    2 Would like to have the duration of the call recorded since the timer disappears the moment the call is over. Also like to be able to check later duration of calls etc
    3. Not the light for the screen, the touchscreen. I set this to turn off so i don't accidentally use the screen during a call but occasionally i need to use the screen to turn on the speakerphone, or access the keypad etc.
    2. MyCallLog. Freeware
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
    Thanks just what i needed works well, should come with the phone
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brigittelakah View Post
    AND: Who else is annoyed by this: When typing a NEW message, the SEND button is on the left corner, but when replying to an OLD message, the SEND button is in the center. I'm always hitting the CANCEL button by mistake when writing a new message...
    Ok, I'm done for now.

Usually after I finish typing a SMS, I just hit the center button twice, much faster than switching to hitting the SEND button.
    I fully agree that battery life is a major problem. As a minimum, the charge should last from morning till night under reasonably adverse conditions. That phrase does not mean the same thing for everyone, of course, but neither is the 680, as shipped, the right equipment for everyone. In retrospect, the exagerated claim about the battery life of the 680, which, after all, the purchaser is entitled to believe, has done Palm an immeasurable amount of harm.

Another problem is that not all 680's are equal. The photo camera issue was identified and a patch made available to the unlucky few who bought the phone before. But my phone, for example, (bought in May) never suffered from Keyguard affecting alarms, as reported by others on this forum. Whenever a problem like this is identified, it should be made public and a patch should be made available immediately to existing owners. No sense hiding behid one's little finger.

Another point I would like to have looked into is the "auto-correct" feature. On my phone, when I type the letter " i " in lower case between two spaces, it gets converted automaticaly to upper case " I ". When I type " il " between two spaces, it gets converted to " I'll ". This is great when I write in English. But I don't always write in English, and there are people in this world who never write in English. It should be possible to disable this feature in Preferences.

Other problems were identified on this forum. I won't go into them. Just to say that, all in all, the 680 is a great smartphone, particularly on account of the amount of third party software available for it.

Good luck to Palm.
    fix mms with tmobile :[
    more availible preferences
    more skins >:O i hate the ones on here and im dumb with phone skinning
    1. Ability to enter security password while on an incoming call. If someone calls when my device is locked (i.e., usually), I can't pull up my calendar. This necessitates explaining the bug to the caller, hanging up, entering the password, and calling them back (i.e., every caller hears about this software issue = bad PRPRPR $for$ $Palm$).

2. AirSamStateMachine.c errors while syncing in VersaMail. Dante's Inferno has a special place for whoever designed this cryptic error (or, actually, vast array of errors). At a minimum, a brief explanation of what went wrong would save tremendous frustrations.
    The ones which bother me are the noticeable lag when one navigates around the menus, worse after a fresh reset. The Bluetooth instability (crashes). Dbcache fragmentation and management can still improve.

Has anyone noticed this thread has been going on for almost a year and there's still no sign of a new firmware update for the unlocked GSM version? All we've seen are the little patches.
    Last edited by palmdoc2005; 12/06/2007 at 12:09 AM.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Bluetooth compatibiility is an issue. i've had problems with various devices. A way to have it be compatible with Mercedes Benz bluetooth would be specially nice.
    Ok this thread was started on 12/19/2006
    Now Palm has released an update for GSM Unlocked Unbranded, do U all think Palm Inc. is listening to it's customers.
    There are morons and zoombies inside Palm
    It is a waste of time to rack up our barins
    I updated my 680 and now my Bluetooth (Plantronics won't work)...what the deal...I'd rather have the old OS back...this sucks. And Plantronics says none of the new ones will work with the 680-what?
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    The ones which bother me are the noticeable lag when one navigates around the menus, worse after a fresh reset. The Bluetooth instability (crashes). Dbcache fragmentation and management can still improve.

Has anyone noticed this thread has been going on for almost a year and there's still no sign of a new firmware update for the unlocked GSM version? All we've seen are the little patches.
    Yes, I was looking at that as well. Now when they finally get around to a release. I don't see any fixes or improvements for the 680. Nearly every carrier version (AT&T) was first out but even Rogers (I am with them) customers are all have grief and problems after the update 1.12. I gave up on the 680 and was waiting for an update. I don't like the screen sensitive and phone program compareid to the 650. Contacts is poor in all version and 3rd party app is a must. My 680 has been in the drawer for coming up to a year and likely stay there now. This update will make things even worst and need to be revised.

I doubt Palm is even doing the coding but subcontracting to some 10th world country and no debugging in the real world where people actually use them and all the features (if they'd work).
    Ok, here is my list:

1) Alarm Clock:
    - Option to set a single alarm and/or a daily alarm (with custom days of the week);
    - Option to set a different sound file for the alarms;
    - Custom "snooze" time for each alarm;
    - (Just like Nokia/Sony Ericson)

2) Default Phone screen:
    - List of checkboxes with customization options on what you want to see there - ex:
    * unread mail;
    * tasks;
    * appointments;
    * timeframe desired;
    * (hey, they could inspire this subject on Windows Mobile)

3) GPRS data counter.

4) Optional LED flashing feature - Don't know how it used to work for 650, but its VERY useful to let you know about loss of signal, pending alerts (appintments, tasks, new mail/sms), lost calls, etc. And because you don't need to turn on display often to check that, this feature is also a BATTERY SAVER.

5) Stereo Bluetooth.

6) Speakerphone Volume (miss my Sony).

7) Sort Phonebook by First Name.

8) Ability to limit searches to wanted databases only (and maybe some more advanced options).

9) Call duration.
    A2DP Technology is a must, I have to be able to hear my tunes through my standard single ear wireless bluetooth, PERIOD.
    Also must be THINNER.......... MORE INTERNAL MEMORY!!!!!
    Screen can be larger too. REAL Internet..... Come on Palm, I should be seeing all this by now.
    I have had my Palm Treo 680 for 2 years now. I would like to upgrade to something thinner. I'm getting tired of hiking this bad boy around. Get with the program. Oh and the screen can be heat sensor for touch and nothing else...
    PLEASE HURRY. I FEEL LIKE I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOREVER TO BUY A NEW PALM.
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast