Page 44 of 47 FirstFirst ... 34394041424344454647 LastLast
    It would be awesome if it were possible to have the ability to choose between what contact catagories to display. For instance, I could have family up on the weekends, but business contacts as my top five on the weekdays.
    I was referencing the current Palm OS. There are millions of Palm devices out there...and unlike the iPhone, they all support third-party software out of the box.

Is the palm installed base shrinking? To the contrary. The Centro may end up putting smart phones into the hands of legions of folks who are currently carrying RAZRs and their non-smart phone ilk. We could actually see the palm installed base double in size in the next 6 to 12 months. Seriously.

Treos and WinMob devices are the exception in the mobile phone world. The vast majority of mobile phones are not smart phones. As I said above, the Centro is not marketed toward us...it's intended to crack the vast consumer market. $99 for a smart phone with a touch screen and a full keyboard. Who is anywhere near this price point? No one...and it will probably be "free with contract" before you know it.

The vast majority of consumers don't know whether an OS is Garnet-based or Linux-based. They want a phone that works...and the Centro, while not cutting edge, is a huge step forward in terms of functionality for this "bottom 95%" of the market. If the Centro is marketed well, we may be looking at a much larger palm installed base than we have ever had. Who do you want to write software for? The closed iPhone? WinMob, which, while an attractive OS, is still a niche phone OS, has revealed no plans for mass consumer expansion, and still has major usability issues that would bewilder most consumers. Doubt it? One quote from the CNET review on WinMob 6:

One of the biggest complaints about Windows Mobile devices, especially when compared to Palm, is the number of steps it takes to perform a simple task, such as closing out of a program. This is still pretty much true of Windows Mobile 6, but Microsoft has taken some steps to ease the pain. For example, the company has added nine new e-mail shortcuts so you can easily reply, delete, move messages, and more. While this is a step in the right direction, there is still plenty of room for improvement.
    http://reviews.cnet.com/windows/wind...8708.html#more

That was my point...but only time will tell.

cheers,
    Steve
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendrhino View Post
    I'm very happy with this new version, thanks GX-5!
    Ditto what he said, thanx!

-Skip
    Quote Originally Posted by selmi View Post
    my blind guess is that chatter is taking so much memory when its running that there is not enough of it for dbp/up... try this app: http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-959.html?MemInfo and check amount of dynamic heap (ram). both with chatter running and not running. if there is bigger difference it could be the cause... if it is what ithink thenif you would have treo680 thiswould be no problem, it has much bigger dynamic memory available (maybe other newer models too, i never had them in hand)
    For some reason, it started working properly. I installed MemInfo and reset to check the numbers and after the reset with chatter running, I started the UP app and it looked normal. Not exactly sure what the fix was. Thanks for the help, anyway, selmi.
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    Is the palm installed base shrinking? To the contrary. The Centro may end up putting smart phones into the hands of legions of folks who are currently carrying RAZRs and their non-smart phone ilk. We could actually see the palm installed base double in size in the next 6 to 12 months. Seriously.
    honestly what is palm? in my neighbourhood i am only one with palmos based device, no mobile operator offers palm based devices, kids dont know what it is.... palm is big name in USA and for oldschool fanatics (like me), and unfortunately its focused so tightly to usa market that rest of world simply doesn't have chance but use something else. mostly symbianos based phones. i would say todays its majority, 95% of people i know use some kind of Nokia. in comparison to treo they are terribly slow - but speaking about functionality work much better and are offered by mobile operators almost for free (+contract). really treo is bad joke not phone and more i have it more i am sure of it. even dialbyphoto/ultimatephone/takephone can't help because its not user interface which is problem but base functionality (sms confirmation, stability, cell broadcast, java midlet support (i hate java but all other phones have it)).

imho centro is just another useless gadget, nothing new but different design (and cdma only in addition). if palm will continue like this then i wish it will rest in peace....

sorry for offtopic message, i didnt expected it will grow so big, but i will not delete it after so much writing:-)
    why treo is smartphone and siemens c35i dumbphone when treo doesn't know to show current location, doesn't know to show if sms i sent was received and when, doesn't last on batteries longer then 2 days? shame on palm.
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Cadman, iirc there is a little button marked Categories on the Top 5 view, from there you can select what category to display.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulster View Post
    Cadman, iirc there is a little button marked Categories on the Top 5 view, from there you can select what category to display.
    That button is on every start page, not just top 5.

I forgot one more thing that irks me about the new ultimate phone. Get rid of the white background on the icon!!! I don't have a white background set in ZLauncher, and it looks U-G-L-Y with the white background...
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulster View Post
    Thanks.
    It only displays lists for those that you have set up already correct?
    I just checked out the site again of UltimatePhone...

An upgrade option from DialByPhoto is Coming Soon!!!

http://www.gx-5.com/products/ultimatephone/upgrade.htm

Fantastic!
    That is good news. I will consider paying an upgrade fee, but there is no way I'm paying full price again when I just bought DBP 3 mos ago.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    i noticed that u cannot add a task to call someone prior to u calling the person

if u want to call your friend mike at 8pm about something, go to DBP, locate his name and ...... u cannot add task... u can only do it from call log screen, so u have to call the number, hangup then create the task....LIMITATION

you cannot copy a number from a sms thread and paste it into DBP dialpad to call : LIMITATION

you cannot save a number before calling it... if i want to add a number to my contact book, if i type 718-555-7777... i cannot save the number for a new contact, i have to call it then hangup and then can save from call log screen :LIMITATION

those are some quick reviews i noticed....DBP is extreme eye candy but lacks some features

a cool option.... if u have ten friends, and u use top 5 (liking the way it looks the best)

u have to scroll around until u find the person

how about if u press option button then the first letter that is labeled under the contact name in DBP, example, if u create a contact with nickname, tom

i would press OPTION button then T and it would jump to his face , rather then me scrolling through pics looking for him

Quick keys.. shortcuts

on the DEFAULT phone screen, u can setup Quick keys,,, and by holding down u can call the person, with an application called butler u can call the person via the Quick key from any screen , doesnt have to be default phone screen.... with takephone, if u hold a letter it recgonizes it real quick and launches the call, with DBP .. it takes a bit longer and scrolls around contacts then launches default phone screen then dials number, but when u hang up now, it doesnt go back to DBP but to the default phone screen....even if u have return to DBP after calls

should have option to return to DBP after ALL calls, so in this case when call is launched from default phone screen it comes back to DBP

once again the graphics are great and the animations are great but i think the developer should put one ear bck to this thread and take some of people reviews on the application to make it a 10+

the light i think is more on the iphone then on the treo apps right now
    Quote Originally Posted by italiangspot View Post
    i noticed that u cannot add a task to call someone prior to u calling the person

if u want to call your friend mike at 8pm about something, go to DBP, locate his name and ...... u cannot add task... u can only do it from call log screen, so u have to call the number, hangup then create the task....LIMITATION

you cannot copy a number from a sms thread and paste it into DBP dialpad to call : LIMITATION

you cannot save a number before calling it... if i want to add a number to my contact book, if i type 718-555-7777... i cannot save the number for a new contact, i have to call it then hangup and then can save from call log screen :LIMITATION

those are some quick reviews i noticed....DBP is extreme eye candy but lacks some features

a cool option.... if u have ten friends, and u use top 5 (liking the way it looks the best)

u have to scroll around until u find the person

how about if u press option button then the first letter that is labeled under the contact name in DBP, example, if u create a contact with nickname, tom

i would press OPTION button then T and it would jump to his face , rather then me scrolling through pics looking for him

Quick keys.. shortcuts

on the DEFAULT phone screen, u can setup Quick keys,,, and by holding down u can call the person, with an application called butler u can call the person via the Quick key from any screen , doesnt have to be default phone screen.... with takephone, if u hold a letter it recgonizes it real quick and launches the call, with DBP .. it takes a bit longer and scrolls around contacts then launches default phone screen then dials number, but when u hang up now, it doesnt go back to DBP but to the default phone screen....even if u have return to DBP after calls

should have option to return to DBP after ALL calls, so in this case when call is launched from default phone screen it comes back to DBP

once again the graphics are great and the animations are great but i think the developer should put one ear bck to this thread and take some of people reviews on the application to make it a 10+

the light i think is more on the iphone then on the treo apps right now
    Hiya there ^_^/
    Just responding on some points. For the task option before the call, I don't see much point for it before the call as if it is before the call, you have it in mind and can just make it in the task app. Now I can see why it would be in the call log because say you are on the call and the person your talking to reminds you to do something so after the call, you can click on the add task so you won't forget.

As for the copy number from sms to dial in the dialpad...?? I thought the sms thread highlights the phone number so you just click and it will automatically start calling so no need to copy.?

Now as for adding the number before you call, I agree this be great. Could be like you put in the initals and brings up the name, click on the name and it will bring up the contact and at the bottom of the screen they can add an option for adding a new number. Though I think they might say you can just lcik on open contact and just add in there. ;_;

I have to agree with the 5 favorites and maybe they can make the search criteria first search through the home screen (EX the 5 favorites) if it finds one it goes straight to the picture and if it doesn't, it keeps searching through your contact book.I too love the 5 favorites.

One big feature I would love to see is to never use the default SMS app, wish Ultimate phone can just handle all sms, sending, receiving and having it threaded as well since it looks so beautiful when I'm sending sms.
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    Hiya there ^_^/
    Just responding on some points. For the task option before the call, I don't see much point for it before the call as if it is before the call, you have it in mind and can just make it in the task app. Now I can see why it would be in the call log because say you are on the call and the person your talking to reminds you to do something so after the call, you can click on the add task so you won't forget.

my reasoning of making a task prior to a call: today i need to call John at 8pm as soon as he gets outs of work.. what is johns number...? now i need to go DBP look up number , write it down somewhere, then go to my task program and setup a task with number, so when it goes off, its easier to dial number from there , rather then go to DBP and find his name then dial.. u can do this option with takephone (schedule a call) .. just the way i am used to performing such a task

As for the copy number from sms to dial in the dialpad...?? I thought the sms thread highlights the phone number so you just click and it will automatically start calling so no need to copy.?

that is true, more of copying addresses and stuff to add to contacts, that was a better example

Now as for adding the number before you call, I agree this be great. Could be like you put in the initals and brings up the name, click on the name and it will bring up the contact and at the bottom of the screen they can add an option for adding a new number. Though I think they might say you can just lcik on open contact and just add in there. ;_;

instead of adding a number to an existing contact, i am referring to add a whole new contact, so i would type full 10 digit number then there should be an option to create or add to existing contact

I have to agree with the 5 favorites and maybe they can make the search criteria first search through the home screen (EX the 5 favorites) if it finds one it goes straight to the picture and if it doesn't, it keeps searching through your contact book.I too love the 5 favorites.

very true!, makes it time consuming to find people to dial to, i catch myself using phonebook searching rather then scrolling through pictures

One big feature I would love to see is to never use the default SMS app, wish Ultimate phone can just handle all sms, sending, receiving and having it threaded as well since it looks so beautiful when I'm sending sms.

not sure if u like toysoft apps but they came out with a new program called smspager, which has threaded smsing and a full line of features

thanks for your thoughts on DBP, i hope the developer digest some of our thoughts
    IF you are using 2Day, you don't need the phone number in the task or calendar object. Just have 2Day do a quick lookup for the contact and initiate the call from there.

I really like the visual quality of UP but I'm thinking of giving TakePhone a try. Not as visually pleasing but it appears to have a lot more features under the hood.
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    IF you are using 2Day, you don't need the phone number in the task or calendar object. Just have 2Day do a quick lookup for the contact and initiate the call from there.

I really like the visual quality of UP but I'm thinking of giving TakePhone a try. Not as visually pleasing but it appears to have a lot more features under the hood.
    thank you, i never noticed that lookup option !

I would also recommend giving takephone a try,, the features are never ending and he replies to all messages left on his thread, awesome csr service
    Because GoodLink takes over the default Contacts app, I cannot add any photo favorites in DialByPhoto. Needless to say, without the main feature, this app has limited worth to me.

Does Ultimate Phone work with GoodLink Contacts?
    Global Posts
    634 Global Posts
    How can we find out our serial # of dialbyphoto to make the upgrade?
    Just go to DBP menu, hit registration, & your # should be there.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Global Posts
    634 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendrhino View Post
    Just go to DBP menu, hit registration, & your # should be there.
    Yeah I know that used to be there. But now that I installed ultimate phone all that went away, ultimate phone overwrote dialbyphoto. What would happen if I uninstall UP? Would I still have DBP?
    In that case, re-install DBP, re-register via your email addy, write it down, then try again.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter