Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3338394041424344454647 LastLast
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Thanks for the feedback. I may try it, though I'm not terribly excited about paying full price for what seems like an incremental upgrade. I'm happy to support good developers--Palm needs 'em these days more than ever!--but I'm not sure that there's enough here to warrant a re-purchase.

I do remain quite impressed with Takephone after trying it for a few days. It's good to have these kind of choices as a Palm user!
    tj,

Are the incoming/outgoing screens like the one above? If they are, then I think it is worth waiting for but if now, then when can we expect to see them?
    Quote Originally Posted by newworld View Post
    tj,

Are the incoming/outgoing screens like the one above? If they are, then I think it is worth waiting for but if now, then when can we expect to see them?
    Nope it goes to the default phone screen on mine.
    I think the screen you see could be wishful thinking on the iphone even though its pictured on a treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by tj8212 View Post
    We have released UltimatePhone, the next version of DialByPhoto. Here is what to expect
    http://www.gx-5.com/products/ultimatephone/
    if you have participated in beta or helped fellow users resolve issues here on this forum, you qualify for a free upgrade

All you have to do is this
    In the registration dialog, enter this email
    serialgiveaway@gx-5.com and select "Retrieve"

Please note offer ends in 3 days or if the quota is reached before then
    Also, you must have a data connection on your treo
    What about if you were a runner up in the Treo 755 contest, and already owned DBP, TreoMemo & TreoWeather? Can we get UltimatePhone for free?
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    Quote Originally Posted by phrogpilot73 View Post
    What about if you were a runner up in the Treo 755 contest, and already owned DBP, TreoMemo & TreoWeather? Can we get UltimatePhone for free?
    Give it a shot. It should return with a registration code once you submit the e-mail.
    Last edited by MarkY; 10/02/2007 at 07:43 AM.
    Well, I have installed UltimatePhone...and it does not disappoint. It is even better than the Beta. DPP/UP is perhaps the most visually stunning Palm application that I have ever seen. I am about to dump my TakePhone license and stick with the final release of the Beta that I have been using...but I was wondering if you have considered the issues that I noted previously.

1) Most folks seem to want the Bluetooth icon...and one that is in your face...not one that you have to click to see.

2) The lack of a back button on the dialer, launcher, and web screens is inconsistent with the balance of the UI...and it confuses casual users of my phone. They have no idea how to get back to the screen from which they navigated. The backspace is nice for those "in the know", but casual users won't infer it.

3) I really think that the behavior of successive pushes of the phone and home buttons should be programmable...much like TakePhone. For example, one push of the phone button is the DPP/UP start page, the next push is the DPP/UP dialer, and the next push is back to the DPP/UP start page..rather than a second push booting you out of DPP/UP and sending you to the Treo phone application. TakePhone allows full programmable behavior here. DPP/UP lets you select a setting that changes this behavior somewhat, but it does not allow "loop through" behavior as described above.

On a similar subject, I really like the DPP/UP launcher, and I like how I can configure the home button to switch through app categories instead of switching to the standard Palm launcher, but the cycle includes empty categories (like "unfiled")...unlike the standard Palm launcher..and the web 2.0 grid, which makes getting to my categorized apps a little more button-push-intensive. In fact, I disable it for this reason. BTW, performance in this area seems to be somewhat lacking...especially when calling up the category menu.

While I am asking for the world, it would be nice if a "long push" on either of these buttons took you to the default Palm apps for the corresponding function (i.e., the phone or the launcher).

Yes, I am repeating myself. *blush* ...and I am just one user so I don't expect you to program these functions just for me, but i am curious if you have thoughts about these items. Issue 3 seems to be something that would be fairly straightforward assuming that you can envision what the impact would be on the preferences UI.

Either way, fantastic work TJ! Seriously. Great app!

cheers,
    Steve
    Last edited by scuba_steve; 10/01/2007 at 02:53 PM.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    Nope it goes to the default phone screen on mine.
    I think the screen you see could be wishful thinking on the iphone even though its pictured on a treo.
    The phone app is skinnable using other programs, isn't it? If so - I wouldn't mind seeing something like that tied into UP...
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    Whoops...two more questions for TJ:

1) The launcher screen is showing all of my applications...even the apps that I am hiding using "Obfuscate", which I assume has set their "hidden" attribute/bit set to "true". Does DPP/UP ignore that value?

2) What are the left and right arrows that appear on the grid screens supposed to imply? These arrows appear on all of the 3x3 grid pages, like the app launcher and the web 2.0 screen. It's not a big deal...I am just curious...because the app does not scroll the pages left and right...it scrolls them up and down. If I hit right 3 or 4 times from the top row, I don't move to another page. I scroll through the 3x3 grid the way I read lines in a book...until I get to the bottom...and then the next row appears...scrolling up. In fact, if I hit down while I am on any one of the squares on the bottom row, the app scrolls to the next row of entries. Seems to me that up and down arrows would be more accurate. Perhaps pedantic, but I write software so UIs interest me.

cheers,
    Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by tj8212 View Post
    We have released UltimatePhone, the next version of DialByPhoto. Here is what to expect
    http://www.gx-5.com/products/ultimatephone/
    if you have participated in beta or helped fellow users resolve issues here on this forum, you qualify for a free upgrade

All you have to do is this
    In the registration dialog, enter this email
    serialgiveaway@gx-5.com and select "Retrieve"

Please note offer ends in 3 days or if the quota is reached before then
    Also, you must have a data connection on your treo
    Do you have any plans of adding Treo Weather into ultimatephone? I think that would be amazing if you did. Also will you be adding that call screen anytime soon? And, the Bluetooth Icon? Let us know!
    Sprint Palm Pre
    I have two requests for the application launcher:
    1. option to hide the unfiled category
    2. option to automatically launch a program when it is the only one matching the filter. AKA if Googlemaps is the only program that starts with a G, pressing G will launch Googlemaps. If there are two programs that start with G (Googlemaps and gmail), pressing Go will autolaunch googlemaps.

Thanks

I do agree with the bluetooth icon and being able to control the phone button sequence.
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    I have two requests for the application launcher:
    1. option to hide the unfiled category
    2. option to automatically launch a program when it is the only one matching the filter. AKA if Googlemaps is the only program that starts with a G, pressing G will launch Googlemaps. If there are two programs that start with G (Googlemaps and gmail), pressing Go will autolaunch googlemaps.

Thanks

I do agree with the bluetooth icon and being able to control the phone button sequence.

You may already know this, but just in case you don't...you can assign an application (or a web link...or a contact number) to a hotkey with the standard phone application...and then extend the use of this hotkey globally with Butler.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I have the latest version of the software and here are the issues I see that NEED to be addressed:

1. you can not see the attention manager.. My phone went off and I know there was an attention manager alert but it doesnt show up in the program. I had to go to the standard treo 755p dialer to see it.

2. I use YOURCALL. when yourcall is activated after the end of the phone call, it doesnt go back to the program. It goes to the default treo dialer. YOURCALL has a setting to select the default dialer but the program doesnt show up in the list.

If these 2 problems are addrtessed this will be a great program but until then I can not use it at all...
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    Give it a shot. I should return with a registration code once you submit the e-mail.
    That worked, thanks alot! Now that I've messed with it, I've got some praise, bug reports, and suggestions for improvement...

Praise: It's great! I loved DBP, but it tended to crash my Treo 650 at seemingly random times. No crashes yet, much more stable - and it appears faster as well. Much improvement there! Also, I love the animations!

Bug Reports: 1. When I have application launching enabled, when I select the drop down box to select the category it lists "All" then gibberish (which I'm assuming is supposed to be "Card". Seemingly happens at random, and the gibberish string doesn't have rhyme or reason to it either. Sometimes it shows "Card" but I can't figure out what circumstances make it display it correctly.

2. Again, with application launching enabled if I select an application and then press the home button to return to UP, when I press the backspace key to return to my start screen it goes to "Top 3A" vice "Top 3C" which is what I have set as my home screen. Royal pain to get back (have to exit UP to my launcher, then press send button to return to what I want) and it doesn't matter which start screen I have selected, it always goes back to "Top 3A" when this sequence is performed.

3. I've moved a number of programs using ZLauncher to the card. Not a problem, they show up in application launching. However, once I run one that is on the card, when I return to UP the icon for the program I just ran is gone. If I then run another program that's on the card, the previous program I ran's icon is back, but now the most recent program's icon is gone. Only does it for the last program. It doesn't matter how I return to UP. The only way to fix it is to exit to the launcher and then return to UP.

Suggestions for Improvement: 1. I have my send button sent to bring up the call log, rather than just pressing the backspace key to get back to my start screen, I think it would be more intutive if I pressed my send button again (a.k.a. send button cycles between the start screen and whatever you have the send button assigned to)

2. Translucent backgrounds on application launching/application shortcuts. If you use the default icons for a program, it has a white background that just doesn't fit with the smooth feel of UP. I wouldn't mind seeing some level of translucence (perhaps user controlled) for that background to get that smooth feel back.

3. Application launching cycling through categories. I don't like the cycle through pressing the home button (because it doesn't loop, if I'm on Web - I still have to go to the drop down menu) so I have mine set to return to my launcher. I'd like a little easier way to cycle through the categories that doesn't require me to go to the drop down. How about similar to zlauncher, when you're at the top left icon, if you move to the left it deselects, you can scroll through categories, then press the center button to highlight the top left icon, and scroll through the icons in that category?

4. Blue Tooth Icon. 'Nuff Said.

5. A way to skin the default phone app, so when you've got the outgoing/incoming calls it looks like the picture above (I know that's lofty dreaming).

Hope this helps.
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Couple of more suggestions I forgot. It's along the lines of the BT icon. Perhaps have user selectable what's displayed in the upper right corner (battery percent vice icon, BT icon, time/no time, data connection). I'd like to have time, BT icon, battery percentage, and data connection indicated. Something like green bars for data or white bars for no data. I don't know how hard that would be, but if you could choose what info you wanted presented up there "ala carte" it would be AWESOME!
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Has anyone had this issue and/or a suggestion to fix?

I have a Sprint 650 and when I have Chatter running and I go into UP, I only see the top line showing the date/time/battery/signal strength. If I go into Chatter and shutdown the application then go back into UP, everything shows up fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by agflyboyaf View Post
    Has anyone had this issue and/or a suggestion to fix?

I have a Sprint 650 and when I have Chatter running and I go into UP, I only see the top line showing the date/time/battery/signal strength. If I go into Chatter and shutdown the application then go back into UP, everything shows up fine.
    my blind guess is that chatter is taking so much memory when its running that there is not enough of it for dbp/up... try this app: http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-959.html?MemInfo and check amount of dynamic heap (ram). both with chatter running and not running. if there is bigger difference it could be the cause... if it is what ithink thenif you would have treo680 thiswould be no problem, it has much bigger dynamic memory available (maybe other newer models too, i never had them in hand)
    why treo is smartphone and siemens c35i dumbphone when treo doesn't know to show current location, doesn't know to show if sms i sent was received and when, doesn't last on batteries longer then 2 days? shame on palm.
    I'm very happy with this new version, thanks GX-5!
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    I wish TJ would be more active like he used to be in this thread...Would be nice if he would chime in and answer our questions, and let us know if any features we are requested are in the works...kinda frustrating
    Sprint Palm Pre
    Interesting that TJ thinks that the Palm software market is dead. What is the size of the iPhone software market? The platform is closed and Apple slams the door at any attempt to open it...going as far as to brick phones. Windows? Seriously, how much penetration do WinMob devices have. The vast majority of mobile phones out there are not smartphones...and the Centro is aimed at those people. As Ed Colligan says, the Centro is aimed at the bottom 95% of the phone market (infer sarcasm). The Centro wasn't aimed at us...it was aimed at young folks carrying RAZRs. I guess we'll see.
    I think he means the Palm OS Garnet is dead. Becuase in 18 months PalmOS II will be out. No one knows if one will work with the other yet.
    Sprint Palm Pre