Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Is it really this bad? It seems to have battery life problems, reliability issues, and turns on for no apparent reason. There are just so many negative things being said about the device I can hardly imagine why so many people have one.

Is all of this true? It seems like Palm really screwed up badly if it is.
    I don't think it's that bad but rather the bar was raised really high. Especially after all the bugs associated with the release of the 650.

The battery gets better. It takes about three weeks but it gets better. I haven't had any mysterious resets as I did with the 650. The volume is noticeably better and the speed for email and the web seems to have improved.

The new button layout takes some getting used to but that's expected with new, redesigned models. I like the side SD Card slot better than the top loading slot.

All in all.... I like it better than my 650.
    I'm with you, Coppertop! In so many ways, my 680 leaves my 650 in the dust. If Toysoft would only update Lightwav so it is compatible with the 680, it will be perfect!
    I have had the Artic Treo 680 for 3 weeks now. Overall, an improvement over the 650. Yes, the battery life could be better and the device is not perfect BUT for the price it is a very reasonably performing phone. No resets here and I am running everything from Chatter..To Telenav..Aeroplayer...etc. (You get the idea). Again, I am very satisfied with the phone and I'm glad I switched from the 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    I like the side SD Card slot better than the top loading slot.
    That warrants un unprecedented FOUR AMENS plus a sammich of thy choice delivered to thy comfy chayyuh.
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE my crimson. Reliability wise, I haven't had any problems... the battery life is getting better as the software gets more calibrated. Well worth the investment for the upgrade IMO.

Happy users post a lot less than ones who are unhappy. For example, I've posted more often about issues I've had, but not anything positive when the pluses far outweigh the minuses.

I'm extremely happy overall with the Treo 680. Yes, there's room for improvement, but the gripes are minor compared to the problems with non-Palm smartphones (which are consistently horrible, with the possible exception of some BlackBerry models).

As for crashing, you won't have any problems unless you install third-party programs which are unstable. Out-of-the-box, the Treo 680 is very stable. (Mine hasn't rebooted at all.)
    Even outside of this thread, there are a ton of folks expressing how much they like this phone. I'm certainly one of them.

If you look back to any recent device launch (Palm or WM) you'll see a bunch of threads talking about problems. So, what else is new?

My battery was horrible to start with but, just like many, many others, has settled down quite nicely now. As others have said, not as good as it might be, but very usable.

I've had one unexpected reset in the almost two weeks I've had the device. I've had other resets, but they've been associated with me installing questionable third-party software. I'd call that Stable, with a capital S.

Turning on unexpectedly? If you ask me, I think we need more of that sort of behaviour.

You want no problems? Solution: Buy no device.

Lovin' my 680.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver5 View Post
    Is it really this bad? It seems to have battery life problems, reliability issues, and turns on for no apparent reason. There are just so many negative things being said about the device I can hardly imagine why so many people have one.

Somehow I think you are kidding. You have 480 posts and that tells me you've been around this and other forums quite a bit. The battery is clearly an issue and there are other things that need work and are being discussed...but...on the whole the 680 does not seem to be getting anywhere near the complaints that the 650 did. I think all of this is useful and I interpet the overall drift of the forum discussion as normal.
    --Nelson
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver5 View Post

In answer to your question...NO!! I just think the people who are loving their Treo 680 are just not posting all day versus those who are having some issues or have unrealitic expectations are. This is a forum of mostly power users who pick apart at every flaw of a device. Combine that with those who are unfamiliar with setup or dont read the manual, inproperly install, etc., and you have your typical (and predictable) cluster of threads about the new Treo, which make it hard for a new consumer to decide.

As coppertop said, battery issues improve significantly with time (2-3 weeks).

I have only seen a couple of people mention the screen coming on for no reason - mine certainly does not do this, and this is almost always related to 3rd party software.

Reliability? I have had many, many Palm devices, Treos, as well as other Cell Phones and PDA/Smartphones, and can count this among the most stable and reliable I have ever owned. IMHO, Palm has done an excellent job with the Treo 680.
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
  11. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    most people who post do it because of a problem. I love my 680! I can do so much more then I could with my t3 (except wifi, heh), and the one-handed use is so much better then on the t3.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    It's kind of like being at a car dealer repair shop and saying that this brand must be crap, look at all these people getting them repaired. These forums are predominantly a place for us all to come with problems/solutions. NO new product is going to be without fault. In some ways, owning a Treo is like owning a Mac, there's not a whole lot of help out there when you have a problem so you learn to do things yourself and read forums like this. It's not like it's some generic RAZR that you can just take into the store and say replace it it sucks. At least that's my take!
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    The best phone I have ever used.
    Pda wise, it is more stable than my old Tungsten T3, fossil palm watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristieC View Post
    I'm with you, Coppertop! In so many ways, my 680 leaves my 650 in the dust. If Toysoft would only update Lightwav so it is compatible with the 680, it will be perfect!
    that weird...lightwav is working for me (Lightwav PRO Version 1.2 #2005.021)
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    I have to sound a negative tone. Personally, I'm slightly missing my 650 at the moment. Here are the current reasons in increasing order of importance.

1. Losing the LED control (Butler) is a shame.
    2. All round feels more sluggish, less responsive.
    3. Have a hard time with some of the buttons - feel flimsy, hard to press the center button a single time.
    4. Battery life. 'Nuff said.
    5.The clock does weird things, like losing time (especially with a reset).

I've only had the 680 for a few days, but somehow it feels like a cheap knockoff of the 650. However, I'll stick with it unless #5 is borne out and the clock is inaccurate. Perhaps it will grow on me.
    Visor, Treo 180g, 600, 650, 680. Optus Australia
    <sub>You might think that the favorite plant of the porcupine is the cactus, but it's thinking like that that has almost ruined this country. - <i>Jack Handey</i></sub>
    Things I love so far about my new Treo 680 are:
    The phenomenal screen clarity!
    The exceptional brightness when needed (like when I use it as a flashlight).
    The superb voice clarity!
    The fact that I can keep vloume level between 2 to 4 and don't have to ask anyone to repeat what they just said or stick my finger in my other ear so I can hear the caller anymore!

I personally liked the top loading SD slot - but I am used to that location on my T3. I realize that I rarely changed SD cards on the old Treo 650 so this move to the side load is no huge problem for me.

I DO like that the SD card slot is now covered so therefore I feel my device internals are a bit more protected from dust ( and I work in dusty environments).

I don't really know exactly what Palm changed on the keyboard, but for some reason it seems easier to use one handed.

Am still getting used to the move of the application button.

I DO like the REd and green keys for intitiating and ending calls!

I also like the change of the LED light to indicate charging and signal reception!

I especially am impressed with the bundled Ptunes as opposed to Real player and am thoroughly tickled that Ptunes located my Mp3 tunes and played them without me having to tell it where the files were nor having to subsrcirbe to something I didn't want nor add gobs of programs to my PC I didn't want and invade my registry with junk I don't want! Now I can finally 86 Real networks for good!

I look forward to reestablishing DATA services with this device so I can actually utilize its full potential as a business tool.

The camers takes sufficient pix and the video capabilities are a plus for my business.

I really like the 680's new form and that the knobby antenna has been given the axe!

Reception where I live is yucky anyway regardless of phone model and I recently discovered from an insider that Cingular is contracturally limited to any more future tower updates - so all their promises of improved reception in this area are just lip service. That's a network issue - not a device issue.

So far, when I am in a decent service area, THIS treo 680 has made, received and held calls quite well.

The increase in memory is great and I don't notice any change in processor speed from the 650 but then again - I am not a geek that clocks these things.

It does seem to take less time to find and open the pics and media files.

I picked up a PNY 2gb SD card for 40 bucks at Best Buy so am pleased that I have plenty of room for pix, dox, and tunes to add over the next year!

With help from these forums I have seen dramatic improvement in the battery life and am gaining faith that this will continue to improve.

There seem to be Waaayyy more programs available for palm than for Windows mobile or Pocket PC and I look forward to customizing my treo 680 to suit my personal needs!

Like as has been noted - its the squeaky wheel that gets noticed.

All in all I'd recommend it as a device over what I've heard and seen with the 8125, or that Black Jack thingy. That device just FEELS chintzy. And don't get me started on Pocket PC devices!
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    So you guys think most people are happy with the device? I might be able to get both a 680 and a Blackjack as a trade for a 6915 but I am not sure I want to do it...plus, the guy didn't show up to do it. I really like the 6915 and if you can get over the low screen resolution it really works quite well for every single thing it should do.

I guess I am choosing between a Blackberry 8700g, Treo 680, Blackjack, or holding onto the 6915 for a little longer. I might just keep the BB no matter what but I am nervous about the 680.
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    I'm really happy with my 680.

my last palm was a IIIe followed by an ipaq 3850, an ipaq 2210 and dell x50v (with WM5)

my wife went from a IIIe to a tungsten e (which she still has after 3 years of use).

Basically to be impressed with the 680 all you have to do is spend a little time with a windows mobile device, admitted that my last 3 pda's didn't have phones on them but boy does windows mobile make great hardware specs suck.

I went back to palm after picking up the tungsten e and finding it so much quicker to use than the dell (even though it's notionally 80% slower....) - even connecting the dell to a mobile for web use was unreliable, slow, and required countless screen prods.....

The 680 is a brilliant little device - it does what I want and does it well.

Hopefully a firmware update will address the small no. of issues that some are having...but until then I have no complaints at all.
    The following comes from one who became so annoyed after the third 650 replacement, that I actually grabbed a Razr, then a Palm Tungsten C off ebay. Worked fine, but boy did I miss the ONE device! For that reason, I swallowed hard, and bit for the 680.

I've been ENJOYing my 680 (unlocked/Copper) for about 2 weeks, using it quite frequently each day. I adore its overall reliability; I have yet to experience a reset; syncing has been flawless. The fly in the ointment = the battery life. Irks me, but the device is a keeper nonetheless.

Note: Dunno whether this proved to be the key or not, but FWIW, I performed meticulous surgery on my XP registry prior to installing the Palm Desktop from the 680 CD-- removed every reference to the old Palm directory and every add-on I had installed. Figured it was time, since I had been playing in the same (prior) directory since Treo 600 days. Rebooted my laptop, then installed fresh to a new directory. Last stage involved going to every app site to pull the latest version, then researching here to see which ones were confirmed as working. Anything with an asterick, as in not 100% working, was left out of my installation process.

Worth the extra work. My Tungsten C + Razr are now safely tucked away, cuz I'm lovin' the heck outta da 680! BTW, once upon a time, I had a Win device. Suffice to say, nevah! again. Moved from that platform to Palm back in pre-Treo-90 days, and with the exception of the 650, have been a happy camper ever since.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I got the 680...It is pretty nice. I actually like using it more than I liked the Treo 650 two years ago. However, I do not really think it is the kind of the phone that I will keep. If the battery life is worthwhile, at least good enough to get me through a day or two, I might keep the phone for a little while. I have a feeling that I am going to sell it pretty soon though.

This is a really good looking phone though. Using this might convince me to get the 750 (which I really hadn't been seriously considering...)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast