1. jps
    I have been lurking here for quite sometime - ever since I picked up my Treo 650 back in March of 2006. I have found the advice and comments here to be way more than helpful and insightful so I figured it was high time I registered and contributed something back.

I am currently working on a hybrid project so to speak - melding a Treo 650 CDMA with a Treo 700p. I saw the thread +Kardboard+ started about moving the innards of a 650 into a 750p housing, and tried it myself as well, but hit the same roadblock as he. There does not seem to be an efficient or elegant workaround at the moment.

In the meantime, I have created a custom ROM that includes bits of the 650 and the 700p ROMs and will be moving the innards to a new, freshly painted case in the coming weeks. My original case just looks mangled these days.

The phone I currently working with is a Verizon-branded Treo 650 CDMA without a camera. Here is what I have done thus far in the creation of a custom ROM:

1) !! BACK UP ALL EXISTING DATA BEFORE STARTING ANYTHING !!

2) Perform a Zero-Out Reset to remove all existing data.

3) Perform a Factory Reset to revert the unit back to its default, pristine state.

4) Extract the factory default ROM image using Grack's RomTool. This has been saved as the foundation for any and all future modifications.

5) Update the factory default ROM image on the unit with the Verizon 1.05A updater.

6) Download the new ROM image (ace-palmos+1.05A) as the base image for the next modifications.

7) Remove the following components from the ace-palmos+1.05A ROM image: BlueTooth (I do not use this), Camera (My phone does not have one), Handango (I do not use this), Languages (I do not need multiples), Realplayer (There are better alternatives), Tips (I do not need these), Tutorials (I do not use these), World Clock (I do not use this), Welcome (I do not use this), Wireless Sync (I do not use this), and the FATFS.prc. I use a little batch file scripted as the following to remove these parts (place the file in your working ROM directory):
    Code:
    :: CREATE THE LANGUAGE DIRECTORY
    mkdir ..\Pulled\Language_Files
    mkdir ..\Pulled\Language_Files\deDE
    mkdir ..\Pulled\Language_Files\esES
    mkdir ..\Pulled\Language_Files\frFR
    mkdir ..\Pulled\Language_Files\itIT
    mkdir ..\Pulled\Language_Files\jpJP

:: REMOVE GERMAN
    move *deDE*.* ..\Pulled\Language_Files\deDE

:: REMOVE SPANISH
    move *esES*.* ..\Pulled\Language_Files\esES

:: REMOVE FRENCH
    move *frFR*.* ..\Pulled\Language_Files\frFR

:: REMOVE ITALIAN
    move *itIT*.* ..\Pulled\Language_Files\itIT

:: REMOVE JAPANESE
    move *jpJP*.* ..\Pulled\Language_Files\jpJP

:: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

REM CREATE THE BT DIRECTORY
    mkdir ..\Pulled\Bluetooth

:: REMOVE BLUETOOTH
    move Bt*.* ..\Pulled\Bluetooth
    move Bluetooth*.* ..\Pulled\Bluetooth

REM CREATE THE CAMERA DIRECTORY
    mkdir ..\Pulled\Camera

:: REMOVE CAMERA
    move Cam*.* ..\Pulled\Camera
    move *Capture*.* ..\Pulled\Camera

REM CREATE THE HANDANGO DIRECTORY
    mkdir ..\Pulled\Handango

:: REMOVE HANDANGO
    move Handango*.* ..\Pulled\Handango

::
    ::::REM CREATE THE PHOTO DIRECTORY
    ::mkdir ..\Pulled\Photo
    :::: REMOVE PHOTO
    ::move Photo*.* ..\Pulled\Photo

REM CREATE THE REALPLAYER DIRECTORY
    mkdir ..\Pulled\Real

:: REMOVE REALPLAYER
    move Real*.* ..\Pulled\Real

:: CREATE THE TIPS DIRECTORY
    mkdir ..\Pulled\Tips

:: REMOVE TIPS
    move *Tips*.* ..\Pulled\Tips

REM CREATE THE TUTORIALS DIRECTORY
    mkdir ..\Pulled\Tutorials

:: REMOVE TUTORIALS
    move *Tutorial*.* ..\Pulled\Tutorials

REM CREATE THE WELCOME DIRECTORY
    mkdir ..\Pulled\Welcome

:: REMOVE WELCOME
    move SetupApp*.* ..\Pulled\Welcome

REM CREATE THE WIRELESSSYNC DIRECTORY
    mkdir ..\Pulled\Wirelesssync

:: REMOVE WIRELESSSYNC
    move ProvAppRedirector*.* ..\Pulled\Wirelesssync

REM CREATE THE WORLD CLOCK DIRECTORY
    mkdir ..\Pulled\WClock

:: REMOVE WORLD CLOCK
    move Clock*.* ..\Pulled\WClock

PAUSE
    8) Now, add in the FAT32.prc file to replace the FATFS.prc file (enables the use of SD cards up to 4GB in size)

9) Next, add the new versions of the Calendar, Memo Pad, ToDo List, and Power Preference applications from the 700p ROM. The ones I used can be found here. I simply copied over the existing versions for each application. To verify that you are indeed running the newest version of the app, check the about box for each (except the power panel) and make sure it says v1.3.1. Though the Address Book application installs fine, in my case, it would not hold my categories so I pulled it from the ROM image and reverted back to version 1.2.3 from the verizon 1.05A update.

10) Add in any other applications that you want to reside in the ROM. In my case, I added AlwaysON, ClearSMSList, Converter, Directory Assistant, FileZ, KeyShades, LEDOff, MemInfo, mReset, and SyncAll.

11) Compile a new .zip ROM file using Grack's RomTool and upload to your device!

That gives me my hybrid 650/700p, or Treo 675 - at least from a software standpoint. I will be looking for other applications I can update from the 700p, but I need access to a complete 700p ROM image, not just the partial one I listed above.

The next task is to make the device housing look different. My first modification will be the addition of a short antenna from Zoti. I have ordered one in black. Next, I have ordered a Sprint camera-less housing that is in mint condition. Ultimately, I am going to paint or dye the Sprint one into a new color scheme. So that I get that done right the first time, I have ordered several "dummy' housings from Ebay on which I will practice painting with Krylon Fusion and experimenting with vinyl dyes to see which method gives me the best finish. Like I said at the head of this, that will occur in the coming weeks - I need to deal with the holidays and work first.

Things that I have been struggling with thus far:

1) The possibility of altering the default ringtones database so that I can permanently remove the ones I do not like or use and permanently add in the ones I do like and use. I tried taking the default ROM image file, pruning off the ringtones I did not want, downloading that and modifying as outlined above above it was a no go. The ringtones were still there. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by jps; 12/18/2006 at 02:14 PM.
    heh many of us have that hybrid in software form already, and it's quite nice.
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
    About the calender,memo pad and todo, where can i find these files, thanks in advance, been away from this site for awhile. Did install voice pad today. Works great so far.
    I have 2 650's and a 680 rom. I was trying to get Blazer and the camera software to work in my 650 but the camera keeps crashing and i still seem to be on the same version of Blazer, however when i loaded the 650 rom into my sdcard I was able to run the new Blazer from there. Hell I was able to run a few things. But what I want is for the new camera software to work. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Bronxboy; 12/20/2006 at 12:11 AM.
    When you get ready to paint the device, do a search on what others have found on the types of paint they used. The wrong paint will block the signal.

Ben
  6. jps
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    When you get ready to paint the device, do a search on what others have found on the types of paint they used. The wrong paint will block the signal.
    I have been following that thread and it is a concern. I have extensive experience modding PC cases and building custom rigs so painting plastic is not new to me. At the moment, I am leaning hard towards using vinyl dye instead of paint as it is just so much more durable. The drawback? Finding colors I like. Vinyl dye is traditionally used on things like car interiors so the color swatches to choose from tend to be more muted/earthy tones. I am looking at a pile of swatches right now trying to decide. I have not ruled out the Krylon Fusion paints yet, but more prep is involved and I want to test them some to see how well they do hold up. Also, in addition to the new housing I ordered that will ultimately get painted, I have also order and scrounged up a bunch of broken housings to use as test beds for the painting so that I can experiment thoroughly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronxboy View Post
    I have 2 650's and a 680 rom. I was trying to get Blazer and the camera software to work in my 650 but the camera keeps crashing and i still seem to be on the same version of Blazer, however when i loaded the 650 rom into my sdcard I was able to run the new Blazer from there. Hell I was able to run a few things. But what I want is for the new camera software to work. Any suggestions?
    I am honestly not really sure about that. I suspect there is a conflict due to differences in hardware, but I would need access to both a 650 and 680 with cameras to test - my 650 does not have one.

Quote Originally Posted by dlboyd41 View Post
    About the calender,memo pad and todo, where can i find these files, thanks in advance, been away from this site for awhile. Did install voice pad today. Works great so far.
    I found them HERE. There are bits and pieces scattered around some of the Chinese and Korean forums. The problems are finding them on pages that are tough to translate and finding intact/complete ROM images. So far all I have found are bits and pieces and emulators for testing.
    :: Verizon Treo 650 w/o Camera
    :: Hardware Rev B
    :: Current Update: 1.05A
    :: Custom ROM: -BigSur -BT -Camera -FATFS -Handango -Hidden -Languages -Pixer -RealPlayer -Tips -Tutorials -VideoAccess -World Clock -Welcome -WirelessSync +Datebook (700p) +FAT32 +Memo (700p) +PowerPrferences (700p) +ToDo (700p)
    @jps
    did your phone come stock without a camera, or are you simply removing it for business security?

if it did come without a camera, have you looked inside to see if one could be added with a new attachment +houseing? i dont have a t5 screwdriver to open mine out and find out for myself. *torx6 is my small driver*
    [unlocked/unbranded/internal antenna/no camera/gsm/treo650]
    [unlocked/unbranded/gsm/treo750]
  8. jps
    Quote Originally Posted by hartleyshc View Post
    @jps
    did your phone come stock without a camera, or are you simply removing it for business security?

if it did come without a camera, have you looked inside to see if one could be added with a new attachment +houseing? i dont have a t5 screwdriver to open mine out and find out for myself. *torx6 is my small driver*
    I ordered mine stock without a camera because I have no use for one and it is one less thing to break or cause problems. I have not pulled my 650 open yet to verify if one could be added in an after market fashion but will let you know when I do.

Also, I have modded friend's 700p so that the camera is removed and the case hole is hidden - efectively making them look like stock camera less models. These are for security folks.
    :: Verizon Treo 650 w/o Camera
    :: Hardware Rev B
    :: Current Update: 1.05A
    :: Custom ROM: -BigSur -BT -Camera -FATFS -Handango -Hidden -Languages -Pixer -RealPlayer -Tips -Tutorials -VideoAccess -World Clock -Welcome -WirelessSync +Datebook (700p) +FAT32 +Memo (700p) +PowerPrferences (700p) +ToDo (700p)
    Well i found the 700 files all works except for memo's? Gonna a try again and see what happens