1.    #1  
    I need GSM 'cuz I'm traveling a lot internationally. Sprint doesn't do GSM, so I need another service that uses Treo 650 and GSM. Can anyone recommend? Any special deals right now? If not, should I buy phone on eBay?

I like "Good", but don't want to get into setting up a server, etc etc. Is there a 3rd party address book I can buy to swap in for the lame treo one?

thanks!
    Last edited by Chowhound; 12/17/2006 at 12:35 PM. Reason: minor edit
    680 with Cingular is FREE for new subscribers....probably a better deal than buying a 650. As for address book, I can't vouch for any of the other ones out there as I use the stock one.
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, Kardboard. A two year commitment is a little scary, but the early termination fee of $175.00 is still less than I'd have paid for a Treo. And I'm happy with the unlimited data option...

Seems like no matter how I slice it, service is about $100/month. Is that normal?
    If you go for data, yeah. If you already have a plan (or doing prepaid), then getting an unlocked GSM 650 on eBay is cheaper. Just slip the SIM card in and you're ready to rock, no additional commitments, and you keep whatever plan you're using.

$100/mo is crazy I think, unless the data plan is justified. Personally I use a voice plan only, no data at all (which of course, I would like ).

Canuck PDA
    Quote Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
    I need GSM 'cuz I'm traveling a lot internationally. Sprint doesn't do GSM, so I need another service that uses Treo 650 and GSM. Can anyone recommend? Any special deals right now? If not, should I buy phone on eBay?

I like "Good", but don't want to get into setting up a server, etc etc. Is there a 3rd party address book I can buy to swap in for the lame treo one?

thanks!
    We just moved from Verizon to T-Mobile. While T-Mobile doesn't offer Palm devices, you can certainly use a Treo on T-Mobile.

For data, T-Mobile offers a plan called "T-Zones" that allows unlimited POP/IMAP/SMTP/WAP for $5.99 per month. If you want EDGE, you can sign up for their "Total Internet" package at $29.99 per month. T-Zones fired right up for me, no configuration necessary, and Blazer and Google Maps are working as well.
    WHAT?!?!?! Why don't we have "T-Zones" in Canada?!!?!? I would be ALL over that!!! *angry*

Canuck PDA
    Quote Originally Posted by +Kardboard+ View Post
    Why don't we have "T-Zones" in Canada?
    I'm not sure - every other state in the US does. Why wouldn't Canada?

Ouch...hahaha good one.

I use Rogers-to-Rogers, so I'm like that guy in the T-Mobile commercial where he asks if people are on his network...I just don't do it under the mistletoe.

Canuck PDA
  9.    #9  
    well, here's the breakdown.

CINGULAR
    900 mins (with rollover): $60/month
    unlimited data: $40/month
    Treo 680: free after rebates
    2 year obligation ($175 for early termination)

tmobile
    1000 mins (no rollover): $49/month
    T-Mobile Total Internet: $30/month

treo 680: $400 for unlocked GSM phone (ebay, etc)

In the end, Cingular's cheaper. OTOH, I hear nightmare stories about their customer service.
    well, here's the breakdown.

CINGULAR
    900 mins (with rollover): $60/month
    unlimited data: $40/month
    Treo 680: free after rebates
    [2-year contract total: $2,400]

tmobile
    1000 mins (no rollover): $49/month
    T-Mobile Total Internet: $30/month
    treo 680: $400 for unlocked GSM phone
    [2-year contract total: $2,296]

In the end, Cingular's cheaper.
    Even by your numbers, that $400 Treo is paid for in 20 months, making T-Mobile actually a little cheaper.

And unless you need tethering or you're a speed freak, T-Mobile Web ($5.99) is quite good enough for email, Google Maps, and Blazer. [2-year contract total: $1,719.26]
  11.    #11  
    I"m not actually sure tethering is possible, as I use a Mac laptop. I do own a sprint aircard 580, but that won't help me here, I guess...
    lots of people subscribe to the 20/mo unlimited data plan on cingular and use it with their treo without any problems. but t-mobile still sounds cheaper (especially if you go with their 5.99 plan) and you get an unlocked phone to start with (meaning you can buy prepaid sim cards in europe instead of paying crazy international roaming data rates thru your us carrier). you can also unlock your cingular phone but usually they make you wait a few months before allowing you have the unlock code - although you can pay for a 3rd party unlocking service (i've read it's around 20 bucks) to get it unlocked sooner.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnacraft View Post
    We just moved from Verizon to T-Mobile. While T-Mobile doesn't offer Palm devices, you can certainly use a Treo on T-Mobile.

For data, T-Mobile offers a plan called "T-Zones" that allows unlimited POP/IMAP/SMTP/WAP for $5.99 per month. If you want EDGE, you can sign up for their "Total Internet" package at $29.99 per month.

Holy Toledo. T-Mobile's "Total Internet" package just went up from $29.99 to $49.99! I shouldn't have delayed!!
    I have T-Mobile and a 650 and I travel. Works well for data and voice. However I am considering the opposite of what Chowhound wants to do -- I'm thinking of getting a 700wx on Sprint. Then I'd downgrade my T-Mobile plan to T-Zones and the cheapest voice service possible for international travel. Or maybe get prepaid SIM cards and do it that way.
    Holy Toledo. T-Mobile's "Total Internet" package just went up from $29.99 to $49.99! I shouldn't have delayed!!
    That price is a data-only price, no voice contract.
    In the end, Cingular's cheaper. OTOH, I hear nightmare stories about their customer service.
    You have no idea how bad their customer service is. I've been with them for over two years now and have called them dozens and dozens of times (more if you count the frequent occasions where they forward you between departments). The "how to unlock" thread sums it up best: if you don't get the answer you like, just call back and try again. Their customer service force is among the worst trained in the USA.

For those who think that they can get by w/out customer service, consider this: Cingular's problems with customer service stem from a lack of coherent or sensible policy. A good example would be their inability to allow family plans to contain phone numbers from different "regions". That is, if my area code is from one part of the Easy Coast and my family's from the West Coast, they are under no circumstance even able to put the two numbers under the same family plan (this is built into both their billing system, not policy). I have one friend who worked for Cingular a few years ago that told me "they said they were just about finished fixing that problem three years ago!" (I've since had it confirmed that they no longer are making any attempts to reconcile their billing systems.)

On a side note, I've found it ideal to opt for the 1-year plan even if you receive a lower phone discount, regardless of what company you join.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by +Kardboard+ View Post
    WHAT?!?!?! Why don't we have "T-Zones" in Canada?!!?!? I would be ALL over that!!! *angry*
    I live in Canada and let me say TELECOM here SUCKS *** they ripp you off big time I was seriously hoping that a large American Telecom company would just come in and Kill off Rogers Wireless (FIDO)/Bell Mobility (Virgin Mobile)/Telus Mobility they literally charge by the KB for data we pay like $50 bucks for 25mb of data or $90 for unlimited which really isn't unlimited its something around 250MB. Canada's TELECOM is the ancient its suck a joke all the providers just charge the exact same prices collusion.