1.    #1  
    I was just thinking...

Cingular requires (in most cases) a $39/data plan and $39/voice plan to get the Treo 680. When the requirement is not met, you do not get the subsidy of $150 + $100 mail-in-rebate.

In the process of looking at the 680 closely I was wondering just how much of the 680's new "internet never disconnects" feature was Palm's idea of ease of use vs. Palm trying to persuade Cingular to carry the PalmOS-only device.

Maybe I see conspiracies or marketing ploys where there are none, but I see this as Palm's push to get PalmOS into Cingular (the largest provider) since Cingular does not want new PalmOS devices if they do not use their 3G (HSDPA/UMTS) network. This, at least, gives Cingular the boon of a HIGH Monthly bill for users of the 680 that use the many internet-based features in this phone.

Think of it this way...Palm wants the PalmOS to be used more -- More royaties to Palm because of PalmOS developement and PalmOS Developer fees. Cingular does not wish to do this because Windows Mobile seems to sell better, so Palm, in an effort to get the PalmOS-only 680 into Cingular says: "Wait...if you carry this phone, we will make the data connection live-all-the-time. That will give you much-wanted additional data-revenue! After all, Cingular, you can tell your customers that 'Ignorance of the data-time the device uses is no excuse not to pay your charges'".

hmmm...

The internet will disconnect on its own after a certain period of non use. There's just no manual disconnect option in Blazer like there was on previus versions but you can disconnect from network prefs or 3rd party apps...and if the connection is active but idle...only a miniscule amt of data is being transferred periodically to keep the signal alive so you're really not running up charges if the connection is active but essentiallly idle...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    The internet will disconnect on its own after a certain period of non use. There's just no manual disconnect option in Blazer like there was on previus versions but you can disconnect from network prefs or 3rd party apps...and if the connection is active but idle...only a miniscule amt of data is being transferred periodically to keep the signal alive so you're really not running up charges if the connection is active but essentiallly idle...
    My post was tongue-in-cheek about the data usage, but serious about the threat of data usage. It was also *serious* about the deal that Palm COULD'VE (and i stress that word) pointed out to Cingular. a la: "If we leave the data connection going, they will use it". Many people don't use the data features 'cos of the long connect time. 10-30 seconds connect-time is long for people just wanting to look up an address...or send a quick email.

Also, the more fear people have about unlimited data usage due to always-on-internet, the more likely they are to go for the all-you-can-eat data plan...thus the more profit for Cingular.

Again, mostly tongue-in-cheek.

Jann
    A follow-up question about this from a new user:

I have my email set to check for new emails every 30 minutes, but in doing so it appears that the data connection is kept open. Is this correct? Why can't I have it set so that the phone checks for email, and then once done closes the connection?

I know I can manually do that, but it would seem that there should be a setting someplace (or maybe using a 3rd party program) that would open the connection, check for email, and then close the connection when done.
    If you're using Versa, there's an "auto disconnect" option under preferences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    If you're using Versa, there's an "auto disconnect" option under preferences.

That doesn't work, as the little green arrows never go away.
    ^^ I also set the auto-disconnect feature, and it doesn't seem to change anything on the phone, as I still have the green arrows are still present.