1.    #1  
    i am trying to activate an application and require my device id to complete the process - can anyone advise. thanks
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Go to Hotsync and it will saw your hotsync ID in the corner. This is what you have named your palm. It is what comes up on the desktop when you sync your palm.
  3.    #3  
    thanks, already tried that but that doesnt appear to be what it is asking for.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    In the Hotsync does it just say "Welcome," or what program are you trying to register?
  5.    #5  
    no this is actually a pre requisite to installing and running via an sd card. its a command prompt executable
    Only way I've been able to discover the device ID was through Agendus. If installed, go to the about screen and it displays your device ID.
  7.    #7  
    thanks will look into
    from what I can tell each application gives your device a username so they might differ from app to app (tell me if I'm talking crapola folks) ....
  9.    #9  
    spot on bruckwine - worth a try though, thanks
    Here's one I use: ChangeName

Just be forwarned: if you do sync your Treo with your PC, you may end up with duplication or be unable to sync at all. Please make sure you always have a current backup before you do this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bruckwine View Post
    from what I can tell each application gives your device a username so they might differ from app to app (tell me if I'm talking crapola folks) ....
    Not crapola.

I have several programs which ask you to launch a particular screen (often the "About" or "Register" menu option) and send them the number you see there. This number is generated by the app itself and is different from app to app. The author then sends you a code based on that number.

Warning:

Personally, whenever I come across such a registration system, I never send the author any more money, for any of their apps. Whenever you upgrade your device (or get a warranty replacement), you have to contact the author again and convince them to give you a new code for your new device. They'll usually do this no-questions-asked a couple times, then give you a hard time or even stop.

I understand the need for authors to protect their investment in time and money in producing software. I work in the software industry myself and it irks me no end when I read all the "Lets get the phone app for the 680 onto the 700p" type threads. That's wrong (and I've heard all the specious counter-arguments so please don't bother). However, this sort of draconian registration mechanism only hurts honest buyers. It is no problem at all to find a cracked version of just about any program you like, so you're not stopping the determined thief, just making life difficult for folks like myself who really do pay for what they use.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    Not crapola.

I have several programs which ask you to launch a particular screen (often the "About" or "Register" menu option) and send them the number you see there. This number is generated by the app itself and is different from app to app. The author then sends you a code based on that number.

Warning:

Personally, whenever I come across such a registration system, I never send the author any more money, for any of their apps. Whenever you upgrade your device (or get a warranty replacement), you have to contact the author again and convince them to give you a new code for your new device. They'll usually do this no-questions-asked a couple times, then give you a hard time or even stop.
    This app-dependent Device ID registration scheme drives me nuts too. iambic uses it for all their programs and your Treo will not HAVE the required Device ID their programs want unless you've HotSynced it at least once with Palm Desktop.

This Device ID is NOT the same as the "owner name" you set in Preferences
    As you correctly said, the app generates it itself. I'm trying to get iambic to knock it off and just issue a normal registration code to legitimate customers - they could tie it to the phone's owner name, or even its phone number, since cell phones have unique phone numbers. Other software vendors do it that way. Some just generate a long random series of upper and lower case letters and numbers for registration codes. There's no standardization (any more than there's any standardization in how you register Winblows software when you buy it..) .. but iambic uses this goofy Device ID / HotSync system and hopefully they'll knock it off and switch to a more reasonable system

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..