1.    #1  
    Like many others, I've been frustrated by the skipping that occurs when playing MP3 files on my 700p when using Pocket Tunes and MOcean.

Iíve tried numerous versions, including the latest (PT 4.0, and MO 3.0.7), and the skipping is the same, or even worse, with each new version.

The explanations that have generally been given for this is that it is as a problem with the Palm/Treo hardware and/or OS.

I recently saw a comment in another thread that said TCPMP works great, no skipping. So I gave this a try. I was amazed Ė after playing 30 minutes of MP3s, no skipping! The TCPMP user interface leaves much to be desired, but it does seem to perform much better.

So Iím left wondering Ė is it really a hardware/OS issue, or is there something about PT & MO software that is causing/exacerbating the skipping?

Yeah, I was pretty surprised when I tried out TCPMP a few months ago and not one skip. I've been recommending it to Treo 700p users. I don't know why it works, but I'm glad it does.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    is there skipping while switching apps?
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    There is one fundamental difference between TCPMP and ptunes/mocean: TCPMP doesn't run in the background behind other apps, but ptunes/mocean do. Could the software required to run in the background have something to do with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    There is one fundamental difference between TCPMP and ptunes/mocean: TCPMP doesn't run in the background behind other apps, but ptunes/mocean do. Could the software required to run in the background have something to do with it?
    Maybe. Aeroplayer skips like mad in the background also. I never get any skipping from any player if it's in the foreground and nothing else is running behind it. There's not much good in that though.
    I get skipping from PTunes Dleuxe even if I'm in PTunes only. It must have something to do with what Steve Sinclair wrote in the letter with the 700p and 700wx sharing the same setup. The Treo 680 I'm reviewing for Palm does not skip at all in PTunes and when switching to other apps while it plays in the background.
    Jimmie Geddes
    There is a fundimental reason why TCPMP/CorePlayer do not skip like other media players.... and that is simply because of how the software is written.

We have a very unique coding style that requires that everything be written at a very low level (C/ASM). While this coding style take substantially more time... it does allow us to do much more then write it for a single OS. So an easier way to explain it is that we have our single CORE that is then portable to other Operating Systems.... and because it is written like this the side effect is speed. We write for 100Mhz CPU's not 3ghz.... ask any 'great' developer (and I mean the ones that get paid big bucks) and you will see many of them doing the bulk of their coding on slower CPU's.... developing in this manners tends to 'force your code to be faster'.
    Quote Originally Posted by BetaBoy View Post
    There is a fundimental reason why TCPMP/CorePlayer do not skip like other media players.... and that is simply because of how the software is written.

We have a very unique coding style that requires that everything be written at a very low level (C/ASM). While this coding style take substantially more time... it does allow us to do much more then write it for a single OS. So an easier way to explain it is that we have our single CORE that is then portable to other Operating Systems.... and because it is written like this the side effect is speed. We write for 100Mhz CPU\'s not 3ghz.... ask any \'great\' developer (and I mean the ones that get paid big bucks) and you will see many of them doing the bulk of their coding on slower CPU\'s.... developing in this manners tends to \'force your code to be faster\'.
    Will you ever be able to code for background play? PocketTunes, mOcean and Aeroplayer all have that feature and it\'s a great one. It would also be really great to have you team up with Softick to get SAG AVRCP working with TCPMP/CorePlayer.