1. msb
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Hi,

I am upgrading from my 650 to a new 700p (well, I ordered it new, but I think Sprint may have sent me a returned/refurbished one... the handset wasn't in a baggie when I opened the box, the pen was missing and it crashed every time I selected Contacts. Fortunately a hard-reboot seemed to have done the trick... but this is for another thread.)

Anyway, I'm doing a clean install of the basic apps (Contacts, Calendar, etc..) but I was wondering about my other apps.

Would it be OK to "restore" from a BB backup on the card? I can reinstall the apps fresh, but what about the settings, etc? Anybody done this?

Thanks,
    Matt
    Hi Matt,

This is Bobby from Blue Nomad Software. You can use BackupBuddyVFS to restore to your new Treo device. Just make sure you are using a current version of BBVFS and not a really old version. If you are using BBVFS Pro, you can go into the advanced restore mode and select the files and databases that you want to restore to the device. If your backup files on the memory card are up to date including your contacts, calendar etc, you can try doing a full restore of all the files. If you have any questions or problems, please feel free to contact me directly at Blue Nomad Support (support@bluenomad.com)

Thanks,

Bobby Genest
    Blue Nomad Software
    www.bluenomad.com

Quote Originally Posted by MSB View Post
    Hi,

I am upgrading from my 650 to a new 700p (well, I ordered it new, but I think Sprint may have sent me a returned/refurbished one... the handset wasn't in a baggie when I opened the box, the pen was missing and it crashed every time I selected Contacts. Fortunately a hard-reboot seemed to have done the trick... but this is for another thread.)

Anyway, I'm doing a clean install of the basic apps (Contacts, Calendar, etc..) but I was wondering about my other apps.

Would it be OK to "restore" from a BB backup on the card? I can reinstall the apps fresh, but what about the settings, etc? Anybody done this?

Thanks,
    Matt
    Blue Nomad Sales & Support Team
    www.bluenomad.com
    I upgraded from a 650 to a 700p and did so using my last 650 backup - there were problems. The best way to do this is to install the applications one at a time - rename the backup folder so that nothing in it gets installed on the new one and go ahead and sync the PIM files, then after checking them out, start installing your apps one at a time. A great utility to do it with is Pilot Install, it allows you to place files in the device's main memory or the SD card. The link is:

http://trials.palmgear.com/dl2.php/7...p/PInstall.zip

Ben
    Ben's advice is the most rock solid. That said, I did what he did (and what you're considering); that is, I installed from a RescoBackup.

I had some reset issues, but was able to resolve them all within a week through instinct, trial and error. I've been using the device for a while.

Anyway, Blue Nomad's advice is misleading in one regard. Under no circumstances should you install from a backup your preference files. That's a recipe for disaster.

Resco has an option whereby you can compare files on your backup to files on your device. I selected all the programs I wanted to install from a backup I had made on my 650. Then I compared all the files in my backup to what was in RAM on my 700p. Things that seemed specific to the 700p, I didn't replace from backup. When I wasn't sure (and I guessed more than once) I erred on the side of caution and used the 700p file, instead--particularly when they differed.

It all worked out fine, but I'm not sure I'd do it this way again. I still had to re-enter all my serial numbers and such, but it was a far cry from having to track down all the software. Now, when I add updates to software I already own, or puchase something new, I keep it in a directory on my HD, carefully naming it so I know what the hell it is, so I can re-install, should I need to.

Whatever you do, make damn sure you rename the directory as Ben described.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Start using NV Backup for free. I've been using it for months and it works great.
    The issue is not over which backup solution to use though. Ben