1.    #1  
    Newbie here. Sorry if this has been asked before.

I'm deciding between the treo and blackberry. Your help is appreciated.

I travel overseas a lot and need a GSM phone that has readily available email and can wirelessly hook up to the internet. Is that possible with either the treo or blackberry?

Also, what's "push email" and do I need that for travelling overseas or accessing my email accounts on yahoo or gmail?

Thanks for you help,
    Raz
    Quote Originally Posted by raztec View Post
    I travel overseas a lot and need a GSM phone that has readily available email and can wirelessly hook up to the internet. Is that possible with either the treo or blackberry?

Also, what's "push email" and do I need that for travelling overseas or accessing my email accounts on yahoo or gmail?
    A Treo and a Blackberry can both access email or Web on GSM networks. The Blackberry is more limited in what it can do with e.g. attachments, and I understand it's a bit more difficult to use as a tethered modem via Bluetooth.

Push email means that the message is "pushed" to your device by the mail server, instead of your device "pulling" the email from the server. Blackberry uses a proprietary mail protocol to do this. Microsoft now has a different proprietary protocol to do something similar, and certain email programs available for PalmOS (Chatteremail, for example) can mimic push email using the IMAP mail protocol's IDLE command.

Not all email providers support IMAP (GMail doesn't, not sure about Yahoo), but you can forward all your accounts to an account that does.
    Last edited by johnacraft; 12/16/2006 at 08:07 AM.
  3.    #3  
    That's brilliant info thanks.

Last question. Has anyone travelled with either phone overseas much?

If so, could you tell me which works better the treo or blackberry on overseas networks when it comes to email?

I'm leaning toward the treo, but a friend of mine has the blackberry and says he was on a beach in India sending emails to his g.friend in canada without any problems whatsoever. He didn't have to change sim cards, sign up, or nothing. And it didn't show up as extra on his bill.

Thanks again,

Raz
    I've traveled in Europe with the Treo 650 (GSM). It worked like a charm. Phone reception is totally based on the carrier and towers in the country that you are in. I suspect that your friend in India would have had equally good reception with a Treo. That said, I haven't ever used a blackberry so I can't speak to the pluses or minuses of using that device.

My take is that if you rely heavily on email, then the blackberry does a better job than a treo. I need to access email several times a day and the treo works just fine for me. My lawyer friends find that the blackberry is indespensible.
    That's brilliant info thanks.

Last question. Has anyone travelled with either phone overseas much?

If so, could you tell me which works better the treo or blackberry on overseas networks when it comes to email?
    In terms of connectivity, as c_r said, they would be equal. It will probably come down to which interface you prefer - the touchscreen of the Treo, or the click-wheel of the Blackberry. Also, you'll find more 3rd-party applications for the Palm OS than for RIM.

I will add that, from my perspective, "technophobes" tend to prefer the Blackberry. RIM really nailed it when creating a UI that people who weren't tech-savvy would adopt. But if you are already comfortable with technology, you may find the UI a bit limiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnacraft View Post
    ... and certain email programs available for PalmOS (Chatteremail, for example) can mimic push email using the IMAP mail protocol's IDLE command. ...
    Though it doesn't directly relate to the OP's question, this really needs clarification. IMAP IDLE *is* how IMAP implements push email and there's nothing "mimcky" about it. IDLE is the IMAP client's means of telling the server, "I'm idling now... let me know if the mailbox changes." And if the IMAP client wants to do something, such as refresh a message list or retrieve a message, it has to first *leave* IDLE state. It is unmistakably a true push implementation.

To compare: Exchange's RPC over HTTP API has a similar call that a client makes whereby it registers for updates should a mailbox change occur. The only actual difference between this and IMAP's implementation (as far as the push piece is concerned) is that Microsoft used UDP -- the client doesn't maintain a connection to the server. Since IMAP is a TCP protocol, a socket is left open during IDLE even though no activity occurs over it; and this is why some IMAP clients will implement a keepalive for IDLE, so that their socket doesn't get dropped due to timeout.

No flame intended here... I just see too many people poo-poo IMAP without realizing it's not faking anything like POP has to.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks guys.

So essentially what I'm hearing is that there's no advantage of a blackberry over a treo other than a simplified user interface and intrinsic push email. That I can do with a treo using extrinsic programs like chattermail anyways. Correct?

But I do rely heavily on email when I travel. Why's the BB better in that regard?

Also, do either of them have wireless connectivity to the internet, say when I'm near a hotspot?

thanks again,
    Raz
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Thanks guys.

So essentially what I'm hearing is that there's no advantage of a blackberry over a treo other than a simplified user interface and intrinsic push email. That I can do with a treo using extrinsic programs like chattermail anyways. Correct?

But I do rely heavily on email when I travel. Why's the BB better in that regard?

Also, do either of them have wireless connectivity to the internet, say when I'm near a hotspot?

thanks again,
    Raz
    I would find treo's interface much more simple. On the front you have the 3 most important buttons taking you directly to the application you need,
    phone, calender, and email. If you want contacts, press phone, and then start typing the name of the contact. I can not see the same buttons on those 4 blackberries in the 8700 series i just looked at.

Treo can have real push email just like blackberry. Find a client and server pair that supports the imap idle command. (see the others explination about that.) My understanding of push email for blackberry is that it requires a special server to give you push email. Imap is a standard and i think the IDLE command is a standard as well. It has it's own RFC (internet specifications).
    http://www.rfc-archive.org/getrfc.php?rfc=2177
    http://www.isode.com/whitepapers/imap-idle.html

The only wifi solution for Palm OS treo devices is the enfora? wifi sled?
    http://store.treocentral.com/content...59-60--400.htm
    I do not think blackberries can do wifi at all, they do not appear to have it built in, and blackberry.com does not sell wifi accessories for any of the 4 models in the 8700 series i just checked.

So i think that Treo wins the comparison.

I think BB has better enterprise marketing and they market the email possibility alot, most likely because they can not speak about anything else. There are hardly any 3. party applications, treo has alot. I think it is like this:
    RIM is in the mobile email business.
    Palm is in the mobile computing business.

The mobile email business is a subset of the mobile computing business, but the mobile computing business also includes alot of other stuff.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but remember that BB typically has a significantly higher cost for data.
    Safety and happiness can only come from individuals, classes, and nations being honest and fair and kind to each other.
    - C.S. Lewis
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by ion++ View Post

The only wifi solution for Palm OS treo devices is the enfora? wifi sled?
    http://store.treocentral.com/content...59-60--400.htm
    I do not think blackberries can do wifi at all, they do not appear to have it built in, and blackberry.com does not sell wifi accessories for any of the 4 models in the 8700 series i just checked.

So i think that Treo wins the comparison.
    Has anyone tried this?

Will it enable me to log onto a free hotspot and surf the internet or make skype calls for free without charges or going through my network service provider?

There are some phones apparently that will automatically log onto a hotspot within reach and use skype or any other VOIP without any interruption in the call. I don't believe however that exists in a PDA. Perhaps in time.

Thanks,
    Raz
    BB may be more expensive, but Cingular (contrary to what I was told before I signed up) doesn't have fixed price unlimited data internationally, and BB does, so if you're travelling.....