Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I bought a cingular 680 and got it today. The guy said it was unlocked already. He even sent me the cingular email with the code and instructions. When it powers on it says It can't use my sim card. Anyone know how to get around this issue, or am I stuck not being able to use this phone? I have cellularone service. Any help would be appreciated....rosebudz34@yahoo.com
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    I'll give you the beginning of an answer and let the knowledgable folks finish the answer.
    Did the email say to enter this type of instruction:
    'Unlock Treo - with the phone on, enter *#*#12345678# then dial'
    That is used to unlock the carrier restriction which means that other carriers SIM cards can be used. You should confirm that the IMEI # on the phone is the same as the IMEI # on the Cingular e-mail.

I believe that there is a way to have a locked SIM (as opposed to a locked phone). Perhaps someone can explain what a locked SIM card is...I don't know.
    Good luck...
    --Nelson
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by nelson1 View Post
    I'll give you the beginning of an answer and let the knowledgable folks finish the answer.
    Did the email say to enter this type of instruction:
    'Unlock Treo - with the phone on, enter *#*#12345678# then dial'
    That is used to unlock the carrier restriction which means that other carriers SIM cards can be used. You should confirm that the IMEI # on the phone is the same as the IMEI # on the Cingular e-mail.

I believe that there is a way to have a locked SIM (as opposed to a locked phone). Perhaps someone can explain what a locked SIM card is...I don't know.
    Good luck...
    I confirmed the IMEI# is the same as the email. All I get is the you cant use this sim card with this phone message and above it says " Searching network" and it never finds one. Very frustrating. This was my christmas gift to my husband and now it looks like it won't work... Any input will be greatly appreciated. Do I need to buy a cingular sim card?
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Cingular units are locked by default. Did the person that you bought it from unlock it? You will need the unlock code from them to try to unlock it again. I would call them and ask what gives.
    When you turn the phone on do you enter the coding as instructed above? Just start punching the keys...
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by juancuero View Post
    Cingular units are locked by default. Did the person that you bought it from unlock it? You will need the unlock code from them to try to unlock it again. I would call them and ask what gives.
    According to him it was brand new and all he did was unlock it and try his AT&T card in it. He said it worked. I went to the phone mode, followed the 5 instructions in the cingular email with the *#*#123456 etc and than dial button. Still nothing. The email says it will lock permanantly after 5 incorrect trys.
    Read this thread, especially towards the bottom of page 2
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=131287&page=2

Of course, why didn't you just buy and unlocked unit to begin with.
    Better yet play it safe - after reading that thread I'd also go to a Cingular store and talk a CR into helping - how many tries you got left will determine your next course of action...good luck!
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post
    Read this thread, especially towards the bottom of page 2
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=131287&page=2

Of course, why didn't you just buy and unlocked unit to begin with.
    Needed to pay through my paypal bank account. No credit card handy...
    Scrounging to find the credit card might have been easier than what your going through and the time involved now. Of course hindsight.........

That guys AT&T card may be acceptable as a cingular card since cingular owns AT&T wireless. The phone may never have been unlocked. Just a thought......

From what I understand, once it's unlocked, it's unlocked.
    Quote Originally Posted by FREEDOMROSE View Post
    Needed to pay through my paypal bank account. No credit card handy...
    Ahhh, sounds like ebay!!! I have seen several, so called "Unlocked" Cingular Treo 680's listed on ebay, that are in fact locked. When I send an email to them asking them for proof of unlocking of the Cingular Branded 680 (this has happened twice now), i get an email back explaining it was a mistake an the item has now been listed correctly as "Cingular", which means locked. ebay can be a really scary place for new PDA/Cell phones, especially since most of the prices on the 680s are more expensive than you can get them from Palm online, Cingular online, or either retail outlets!!!
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by MattM2G View Post
    Ahhh, sounds like ebay!!! I have seen several, so called "Unlocked" Cingular Treo 680's listed on ebay, that are in fact locked. When I send an email to them asking them for proof of unlocking of the Cingular Branded 680 (this has happened twice now), i get an email back explaining it was a mistake an the item has now been listed correctly as "Cingular", which means locked. ebay can be a really scary place for new PDA/Cell phones, especially since most of the prices on the 680s are more expensive than you can get them from Palm online, Cingular online, or either retail outlets!!!
    I got it unlocked... ...It doesn't look like I will be able to use the internet though, but i will check with my cell phone people tomorrow. Here is the post that helped me. I already had the code but this did the trick.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gsmphonesource
    Try this

1.- Insert a non Cingular SIM card into phone.
    2.- Wait until the phone boots completely and turn on the handset by pressing the Red button for 2 seconds. It will say "SIM Card not Allowed" or something like that.
    3.- Input *#*#CODE# and press the Green dial button. CODE is the 8 digit unlock code you were sent. It should say something like "SIM lock has been removed from this handset". Your phone is unlocked.
    glad it was helpful.
  14.    #14  
    thanks to all for jumping to my Treo need. Now that I got that issue fixed, can anyone reccomend some awsome software for it. I use Buzz off and thats a great one. Directory assistant is sweet. Anthing else. I love games, cards and etc...
    Yes it was on ebay, I was the seller, and I included the email that Cingular sent to me with the unlock code. Before unlocking the phone it would not work with my AT&T legacy SIM. After unlocking the phone I could use the AT&T SIM. This would seem brain dead but I wonder if you need to unlock a 680 AGAIN for every foreign SIM? I never had a locked phone before so don't know how it works.

I also went after a couple of sellers of 'unlocked' Cingular phones because it is people like that who give us honest folk a bad name. If you don't have Cingular coverage or don't want a 2 year commitment, and you don't want to wait for Palm to restock, ebay is a good alternative if you buy from a reputable seller.
    Clie -> Treo 270 unlocked -> Treo 600 unlocked -> Treo 650 unlocked -> Treo 680 Crimson + Graphite (can you hold on, the other line is ringing...)
    Once a phone is unlocked, it's unlocked for good for any carrier's sim.
    Quote Originally Posted by treowolf View Post
    Once a phone is unlocked, it's unlocked for good for any carrier's sim.
    Ummm... Let's be clear... Once it is unlocked it is unlocked for any carrier's sim THAT USES THAT SAME RADIO (GSM, CDMA, etc)

I know. I am a jerk -- Just wanted to be clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by jannlinder View Post
    Ummm... Let's be clear... Once it is unlocked it is unlocked for any carrier's sim THAT USES THAT SAME RADIO (GSM, CDMA, etc)

I know. I am a jerk -- Just wanted to be clear.
    CDMA phones use sims ?
    No, they don't. Only GSM phones. Once a GSM phone is unlocked, it's unlocked, period.
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Palm treo 680 Locked to cingular can be unlocked by either calling cingular or some people are selling on ebay dirt cheap. Palm treo 680 from rogers is unlockable from here

http://www.gearfortech.com/product_i...roducts_id=453
    or contact shawn@gearfortech.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast