Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Does anybody notice that the Red power key is a tad bit more pushed in/sunken in than the Green talk key? I was thinking that maybe because I use the red key more than the green, it has succumb to overuse. (already).

does anybody notice this?

It doesnt stick in any way, and only noticeable when i put both thumbs over the red and green key to "feel" the differences.

Any insight would be great before I consider returning for a new unit.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    can't say that mine did nor any of the other Treos i've owned, perhaps i didn't really ever look close enough. but given your wonderful battery life (i believe you said multiple days and still running at 75%) i'd keep the device given that the button still functions properly. i suppose you could buy an oem battery at the store and keep the battery that is in your unit and then return the device for a new one (hoping that battery life is independant of the phone's firmware, etc).

hope this helps
  4. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    I think that both the power & call keys feel somewhat flimsy, but thankfully haven't been too bothersome so far.
    Yes, both my Green and Red button are set in a bit too much.

I often will hit the home or message buttons while trying to hang up on my call. In my opinion, this is the biggest miss in the physical ergonomics of the new 680. The battery takes a close second, but Palm purposely cut down the size of it.
    so i suppose these "defective" units will be returned. i wonder how many others like this are out there?
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    can't say that mine did nor any of the other Treos i've owned, perhaps i didn't really ever look close enough. but given your wonderful battery life (i believe you said multiple days and still running at 75%) i'd keep the device given that the button still functions properly. i suppose you could buy an oem battery at the store and keep the battery that is in your unit and then return the device for a new one (hoping that battery life is independant of the phone's firmware, etc).

hope this helps
    I love it when you post replies. You're such a stand-up guy.
    Both my red and green phone buttons are somewhat recessed relative to the other keys. Not a big deal and I have no intention of causing an unnecessary return for Palm.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    Both my red and green phone buttons are somewhat recessed relative to the other keys. Not a big deal and I have no intention of causing an unnecessary return for Palm.
    Thank you for your replies.

But in actuality, I am wondering if the RED button is more recessed than the green button?

Thanks.

bryan
    My red button is also more recessed. I think it is common to recess "on-off" keys on a lot of devices. Mine also feels more "mushy" than the green one though.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    my arctic is also a slight bit lower than the others. I thought I was the only anal retentive that had noticed it?
    I wouldn't have really noticed it if it wasn't pointed out in this thread.

I too have the Arctic 680 and YES the power button is a tad bit more pushed in than the green talk key.

I don't know if this was intentional or just a manufacturing defect.

Coming from a Treo 650, I always push the power button mistaking it for the MENU button.
    I think it's intentional not a manufacturing defect. A lot of devices have have the power button more sunken since it makes it more difficult for it to be pressed accidentally.
    My power button is lower than the green one as well. You folks have no idea how much better I feel to know that other people notice these things as well.

I'd like to think of this as a design "feature"...
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    my wife tells me I am way too analytical... it's hard to explain to her why this sort of thing is important....

I agree knowing that it is more than just mine is better.

greg
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Well, its nice to see people as analytical as me when it comes to their treos. These things arent cheap.

I have noticed the cingular treo 680 graphite doesnt suffer from the sunken power key, but cant 100% confirm.
    Huggie - now you're just trying to make the rest of us think there's something wrong with ours!!!
    Count me in as well with Graphite one. And yes, I feel better knowing that others are picky about those "non important" issues as well like me. "Get a life" does not work for me. I am picky. And I think this is a big issue.

I can confirm, that after 3 weeks of use I simply had no physical control if I pushed the button or not.Did try to solve this by adding little piece of paper below the power key by opening the card door, you can see space under which I have pushed that piece of paper. Its bad bad workaround and I do not suggest doing it so, but it does feel better - when pushing the button I can feel that 'click" responce. Its not huge improvement, but works for now.

I was about to buy 2nd unit but this problem in construction makes me wait for 2nd batch until Palm fine tune these issues.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    the power key is slightly more sunken than green key...

had problems with the "click". the second unit i had was better. also sunken, but at least with the "click".