View Poll Results: Did you find this Tracking thread helpful from a consumer standpoint?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

141 88.68%
  • No

18 11.32%
Page 1 of 18 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello all,

I am creating this thread to track the status of the three 700p issues that the 400+ customers on this site inquired to Palm about fixing.

I will just edit this top post in the thread when any issue status changes. That way even the, "non-power user", type of consumer can just click a single link to this post, read the current issue status, and peruse the attached correspondence with Palm.

***** BEGINNING OF PALM's ORIGINAL ISSUE RESPONSES *****
    (UPDATES FOLLOW THE END OF THIS SECTION) ****

Issue - Last Update - Summary of Response:
    -------------------------------------------
    1) Bluetooth - 12/13/06 - Palm acknowledges issue with a number of certain Bluetooth headsets and car kits. Palm is working hard to release a firmware update tentatively targeted in 1Q, 2007 to improve compatability.

2) MP3 Player - 12/13/06 - Palm acknowledges issue where audio stream buffer can get backed up and cause skipping while other phone functions are happening. Palm is working hard to release a firmware update tentatively targeted in 1Q, 2007 to improve.

3) Lag - 12/23/06 - Palm acknowledges hardware/software issue where a lag can be seen in switching between applications. Palm reports that while the lag is noticeable for users of older Treo models (i.e. 650, 600), it has not been reported by a significant number of their customer base. Nevertheless, they trying a number of ideas to reduce lag. It is still a work in progress and they cannot yet quantify how much the improvement will be. We will have to just wait for the firmware update.

4) SMS Lockup 1/10/07 - Palm acknowledges that they are actively investigating this problem trying to find a fix which they would like to include with the firmware update.

***** END OF PALM's ORIGINAL ISSUE RESPONSES *****

Latest updates...

Beginning of 3-4-08 Update
    700p Support: NO MORE!! (STILL)
    I have been attempting to find out if the 700p would receive any of the updates that all the other Treo's have been getting. I had already received a, "no", reply to the Googlemail compatibility update for Versamail that was given to Palm's low end Centro customers. I then inquired as to whether there would be a MR update for the 700p such as the one released for the 755p. Below is Rob K's blog comments:

"Wanted to follow up as I know there have been discussions regarding whether Palm is planning to provide a new software update on the Sprint Treo 755p. We donít have plans at this time to provide another software update for the Sprint Treo 700p.Also, the Sprint Treo 755p MR has not been tested by Palm on the Treo 700p and therefore we do not recommend it."
    - Rob K. [(Blog comment - click here)

Quick History of Palm's Support for Treo 700p
    5/2006: Sprint Treo 700p released as Palm flagship product. Verizon version follows several months later.
    12/2007: Problems not even acknowledged by Palm up until this point. Prior to this, their support line's answer to almost every single call was that they were unaware of any such problems.
    6/2007: Sprint 700p Maintenance Update released over one year from release on 5/2006. SD version works while Hotsync version bricks phones and is quickly removed.
    9/2007: Verizon 700p Maintenance Update is released and then pulled after a few weeks for the data connection being broken to the point that the internet was unusable. It is then eventually re-released.
    (six months pass without any added support)
    3/2008: Palm confirms that there will be no more support releases for the 700p despite outstanding issues and having released an update for the nearly identical 755p.

SUMMATION OF PALM'S SUPPORT FOR TREO 700P:
    Some industry analysts have offered the proposition that the Centro has undercut margins for the higher end Treo's affecting Palm's bottom line. If so, can anyone blame the consumer? I was over half way through my two year contract BEFORE I got the MR. Little did I know that the same MR also concluded Palm's support for my phone with 11 months yet on the contract.

If I were to buy a Palm phone again, I would never buy a high end one. I'd too buy a cheapie model like the Centro that is more or less disposable due to its low price tag. That is, IF, I were to buy a Palm phone again. I really do still like my 700p because it does do an amazing number of things well but at the sametime I don't want to reward Palm for abusing their consumer's trust. It's like going back to that hot girlfriend who swears she won't cheat on you this time, wreck your car, or burn down your house when she gets mad. (Shout out to Andre Rison) That it is going to be different this time somehow. That sweet, "Just trust me honey.", that I somehow hear while hypnotized by that low cut blouse. Palm's new OS product might look good when it comes out but I doubt I will be going back. It's just not worth the occassional good sex if it means that you have to spend even ANY amount of time on the other end of it.

If I even think about buying another Palm phone, my first question to Palm is, "How long do you plan to support this model?" I think that should be on the box right next to the warranty.

How long do you think it is reasonable? Microsoft is still supporting XP and it was released in 2001. That is much more time than I would expect Palm to support any product but I would think that two years isn't too much to ask. Especially since Palm is still selling the Verizon 700p on their website for $299.99 with contract, $619.99 without!

Beginning of 3-4-08 Update

Beginning of 2-7-08 Update
    700p MR Update 2.0?
    PALM has released a flurry of updates in the last few months for the Centro, 680, Palm Desktop, Windows Mobile Treos and this week the 755p. Does any Treo model seem missing? The obvious answer is that the 700p should undoubtedly have one coming soon. After all, the 755p is pretty much the 700p in a nicer casing. Just ask any of the 700p users who have successfully loaded the 755p ROM update on their 700p in this thread or that thread.

Users of both the 700p and 755p are reporting that some of the outstanding issues in common to both models have been improved. In particular the lag issue, which was improved but far from fixed in last year's 700p MR, has visibly decreased when switching between apps. There are also some nice enhancements to the SMS application.

I would rather wait for an official 700p version but there has been no mention of it in Palm's blog. So I decided to contact Product Manager Paul Loeffler to get the scoop. I emailed the following to him on Tuesday, February 5th. I have yet to hear back from him but, based on my experience with former Product Manager Steve Sinclair & Palm's revitalized customer focus, I am confident that he will within a few days. Stay tuned....

Paul,

I have taken notice that a ROM update was released for the 755p. Since it is basically the same platform as the 700p, minus an antenna plus a microSD card, a number of people on Treocentral have loaded the update onto their 700p. Thus far, they are all claiming success and have seen significant reduction in the lag seen when switching between applications.

Since it is working so well on the 700p, it seems logical that an official update for the 700p could not be far behind. Especially when taking into context Palm's quarterly statement concerning customer disatisfaction. Since that time we have noticed that there have been updates for multiple Treos. Combined with Palm's blog, it is really giving the impression that Palm is making a sincere effort to restore customer confidence. So is an equivalent update for the 700p going to be released in the near future? It would be the single most important thing you could do to solidify the revitalization of Palm's customer support given that there was no more visible discontent than with that of the 700p owners.

Thank you for your attention in this matter. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,

Bob Caruso

End of 2-7-08 Update

Beginning of 9-12-07 Update
    PALM Announces Yet Another Treo Model

Palm's big announcement wasn't that they had fixed the Verizon 700p MR, nor was it that they were going to follow Apple's conscious and give a little something back to all the 700p users have suffered. What they did announce was yet another model, the European only 500v, being rolled out while the current 700p Verizon customers continue to suffer for 1+ years.

This move reminds me of when I was a child. I would completely dump the toybox on the floor and make a mess. My parents told me that they would not be buying me anymore toys until I cleaned it all up. Palm needs some parental advice because they just bought a new toy and who knows where it will fit in with the mess on the floor. At least they threw their broken Foleo toy in the trash first.

End of 9-12-07 Update

Beginning of 9-11-07 Update
    Steve Sinclair - NO LONGER WITH PALM!!!!

I was interested to know what the powers that be at Palm had to say about the 9-8-07 NY Times trashing mention below. I had not written Product Manager Steve Sinclair since the Sprint 700p MR was released. So I decided to send him an email and see what he thought about the article. I received the following automated email reply:

"As of August 3rd, I am no longer employed by Palm. Please remove steve.sinclair@palm.com from your address book."

No further information was available but I'd bet that the users are not the only ones feeling the 700p MR pain. With $10M hit Palm took for canceling the Foleo, I'd bet Steve was not the only one at Palm feeling the pain either.

In the meantime Palm has a big announcement tomorrow that they are claiming is not for the new Centro device (yes ANOTHER new Treo). Maybe it is the release of the Verizon MR v2 which fixes MR v1. Or maybe Palm is going to do something to make it up to the700p owners! Even Steve "Darth" Jobs threw iPhone users a bone giving them a $100 coupon for price gauging them in the first month of the iPhone's release. Yeah I'll bet that is what it is!! Way to go Ed!! Stay tuned....

End of 9-11-07 Update

Beginning of 9-8-07 Update
    NY Times "Non-Geek" Writer Trashes Palm & 700p
    Remember when Palm said that only power-users were complaining about 700p problems? Well a self described, "non-geek", user at the NY Times complained about it in his article today. He complained about it A LOT! The issues he dealt with were similar to those listed here. And guess what happened when he loaded the MR? ***BRICK!!!!***

He went onto say that his mistake was trusting that Palm was the same reliable company from whom he had bought his PDA's, that the OS being outdated and neglected was a big part of the problem, that the brand name is selling more phones than the product itself, and that he will be dumping his Treo when his contract ends. Hmmmm..... sound familiar?

Suffice it to say that the NY Times has a much larger demographic than Treocentral and has the ability to affect a lot more sales. Palm better take notice because everyone else is. Read about it for free here.

Beginning of 8-15-07 Update
    Now you see it!
    [*POOF!*]
    Now you don't AGAIN! But This time VERIZON!!!
    VERIZON 700p MR Posted & Removed

8-15-07: After just about a month, PALM pulled the Verizon updates for the 700p/w/wx. The reason being that it caused all kinds of network connectivity issues for the phones. In other words, email and web browsing stopped working too much of the time. You can read about it Palm's blog.

End of 8-15-07 Update

Beginning of 7-12-07 Update
    7-12-07: The 700p update as well as those for the Windows Mobile 700w/wx were released for Verizon today. Read about it in Palm's blog.

End of 7-12-07 Update

Beginning of 6-06-07 Update
    Now you see it!
    [*POOF!*]
    Now you don't!
    SPRINT 700p MR Posted & Removed

In another bizarre plot twist, the Treo 700p MR was released on Monday 6/4/07. It was specific to Sprint users as the Verizon update was postponed indefinitely. Then at sometime on 6/5/07, user Holy Hannah posted that the update had been removed as can be seen on the link where the update used to reside.

This was after a number of TC'ers reported that their Treo's were going into an endless reset after installing the MR via the hotsync. At least one of which posted that he had called Sprint and talked to a Support tech who said that they'd been getting a lot of calls and wished that Palm would take it off their website. Users who used the SD method did not seem to experience the problem. A poll was started by igreene07 that you can vote at the following link.

After sooooooo long a release delay due to carrier testing, how in the world was an installation problem - big enough to have the MR removed within 24 hours - missed by Sprint? One can only wonder.

I personally went the SD route. I manually backed up my files, did a hard reset, did the update from an SD and then manually restored the files. My thinking was the less you give the install script to do, the less risk involved. I did the same thing with a second 700p and completed everything in just less than an hour.

For those of you who want to try the SD method, a user has uploaded the SD-only version at this link. I will leave him nameless but just know that neither he, nor me, are responsible for your using it. If you are not comfortable in your knowledge of what needs to be done - then DON'T TRY IT UNTIL PALM REPOSTS it.

The following was posted on Palm's blog:

"700p MR Temporarily Unavailable
    We're sorry, but the Sprint Treo 700p maintenance release (MR) is temporarily unavailable. We have received isolated reports of an installation issue that causes the device to continuously reset when applying the software update, so we've removed the update from our site. We're investigating the issue and will make the Sprint Treo 700p update available again as soon as possible. We know this has been a frustrating process for customers and apologize for the inconvenience it may have caused.

If you have experienced difficulty with the maintenance release installation, please contact us so we can work with you to resolve the issue: 866-750-7256.

We don't have a target date for when we can make the Treo 700p MR available for Verizon Wireless users.

Also, we currently don't have plans to issue a MR for other carriers because the ROM software already contains many of the features that are included in the Sprint and Verizon Wireless updates (e.g. many of the Bluetooth improvements and MP3 playback).

Paul Loeffler - Palm, Inc.
    "

End of 6-06-07 Update

Beginning of 5-31-07 Update
    "Oops I did it again" - Paul Loeffler: 700p MR Delayed AGAIN!
    Below is the latest update from Palm. It appears that the Sprint update may - or may not be be available today but the Verizon customers will be waiting for awhile more now. Paul promised more of an explanation would be posted on the Blog today.

I updated the top post reflecting the latest delay in this neverending saga.

I wish I could say I am shocked but I am not. I predicted that when Palm vowed the MR to be available in the last week of May pending carrier approval, between the lines they were really saying JUNE.

What baffles me the most is how can Paul not know on Thursday if the Sprint update will be available on Friday or not? Is it done or isn't? Has it passed testing or not? What would be changing within 24 hours? Did they find something broke at the last second and are scrambling to fix it and get it tested again? Does that make you all warm and fuzzy about loading it? And if the Verizon one is now an indeterminate amount of time away then what happened from the, "right on schedule for week of the 28th", post? Sounds like something was found broken on at least one carrier. Hopefully Paul will enlighten us on the Blog today.

If you were thinking of buying a Palm product, I would suggest that you read through this post, see how long the history of this support saga is and ask yourself if you want to go through the same. Chances are you will make up your mind before you finish reading the post.

"We appreciate the frustration that has been shared and everyone's patience. I know we said we are working to deliver the 700p maintenance release (MR) the week of May 28th. We are still hoping to make the MR available for Sprint Treo 700p users tomorrow or early next week.

Unfortunately, the MR will not be available this week for Treo 700p Verizon Wireless users, but we expect it will be available soon.

Will post again tomorrow.

Paul Loeffler - Palm, Inc."

End of 5-31-07 Update

Beginning of 5-24-07 Update
    Treo 680 Firmware Update Released while We Still Wait for the 700p MR
    Palm released a firmware update for the 680 today. Details can be read on Palm's Blog. Palm had updated their blog about a week prior communicating that the 700p MR is still on schedule for the week of May 28th.

In most aspects it is a positive sign that Palm was able to release a MR for the 680 in an industry competitive timeframe. It is a signal that Palm has truly re-committed themselves to supporting products instead of just churning out new ones. However, I still can't help but get that lingering question out of my head. How is it that yet another POS Treo, much newer than the 700p, was able to get a MR passed so quickly through carrier certification while the 700p has been in certification limbo for sooooooo long?

All I can say for sure is that it was a very wise strategy for Palm to communicate that the 700p MR is still on track for the week of May 28th prior to making this 680 release. With the end in sight, though still legitimate, the question just doesn't seem to matter as much. I think it diffused what could've been another bomb to the 700p community.

Next update: "The Firmware Update Conclusion"

That's a wrap!

End of 5-24-07 Update

Beginning of 5-14-07 Update
    Treo 755p Released Today while We Still Wait for the 700p MR
    The new Treo 755p was released by Sprint today. I got to see it at the Sprint store while taking my Treo 700p in for service. My 700p's hotsync port no longer works and it has also been failing to receive numerous SMS messages. After every re-boot, I instantly get SMS messages that had been sent to me as long as 24 hours ago. This is only just a recent development for my phone - and I did NOT load any new 3rd party apps!! I am now waiting for a replacement 700p. Good thing I bought the insurance because my 700p's manufacturer warranty expired two days ago. In the meantime we still wait for the 700p Maintenance Release.

That's a wrap!

End of 5-14-07 Update

Beginning of 4-17-07 Update
    Target Date - Week of May 28th
    Steve Sinclair posted on Palm's Blog an explanation of why the firmware update has taken so long. He also announced that they are now targetting the week of May 28th as the release date. An excerpt from the Blog follows.

"We're now in the carrier certification phase with the Treo 700p MR and as I type this, our best estimate of customer release will be the week of May 28th. In addition to the Bluetooth improvements I mentioned above, the 700p MR includes updates to SMS send/receive performance, MP3 playback, phone app launch speed and other areas. It's admittedly been a much longer project than expected, but we're almost there..."
    End of 4-17-07 Update

Beginning of 4-12-07 Update
    News to be Announced on Tuesday, April 17th on Palm Blog
    I received an email from Steve Sinclair today. It states that the Palm Blog (will be the mechanism used for communication with the user community going forward. Thus my role as Treo Community intermediary will become obsolete. One of the things Steve had mentioned when we talked months back was that this campaign had sparked a lot of brainstorming at Palm to improve communication with the user community. I think this Palm Blog was a pretty good result of our efforts. I am proud we helped bring it about. Rest assured though that I will still continue this thread until the firmware update is our hands.

What I get out of Steve's email is that there was probably an internal miscommunication at Palm concerning the announcement. I think he thought he was going to announce it when the Blog kicked off (thus later in the week) but the Blog powers that be had scheduled it for Tuesday. At least that is my read on it since Steve has been pretty upfront about everything. But you can read for yourself:

"Hi Bob,
    As you probably read, we launched our new Palm blog this week. That's the forum where I'm going to provide the revised date for the 700p update. Going forward that blog is going to be the mechanism we use to talk about support issues since it ensures more reliable coverage by the community sites and allows customers to comment directly. As it turns out, I won't be posting my blog this week - it's slated for next Tuesday instead and just wanted to let you know.

Steve"

End of 4-12-07 Update

Beginning of 4-10-07 Update
    Response from Sinclair - More Release Info at End of Week
    I got the following back from Steve Sinclair yesterday. I don't recall seeing Treocentral frontpage anything about the April date. Hopefully they will for any information they receive this week.

"Please know that Palm is not abandoning the Treo 700p - the Treo 700p
    software update will be released once it has passed ours and the
    carrier's testing. Several weeks ago, we'd notified several of the
    Treo/Palm community sites that the update was expected later than Q1 and
    our best estimate was for a release in the month of April. We're going
    to have to revise that date again, but hope to provide a more specific
    release date with higher confidence given that we are further along in
    the testing process. Palm will communicate this info to the user
    community later this week.

Regards,
    Steve"

End of 4-10-07 Update

Beginning of 4-06-07 Update
    Second Followup
    - I wrote a letter to Steve Sinclair on 3/30/07 asking for a status on the firmware update once it was apparent that Q1 was going to be missed. After not having heard back for a week, I have written a second email at the urging of numerous Treocentral users who have become increasingly frustrated. The letter is attached at the bottom.

Treo 755p to replace EOL'd 700p
    - Throwing gasoline on the discontentment is the announcement that a Treo 755p will be released for Sprint in May. Sprint has announced that it will replace the 700p which will be End of Lifed (EOL). Both events will roughly occur at about the one year anniversary of the 700p's release.

Apparently, the 755p HAS been certified by Sprint and HAS passed through their testing. At the same time we are continued to be told by PALM that the same process is responsible for the delay of the 700p firmware release. The idea that the unreleased Treo 755p can pass carrier testing while the current one can't because of some new firmware raises red flags in my mind. Hopefully Steve can shed some light on this. Related thoughts are shared in the attached letter.

That's a wrap!!

End of 4-06-07 Update

Beginning of 3-20-07 Update

ROM Update Still on Track for April Release
    - According to PalmAddicts, a Palm executive has confirmed that the ROM Update is still on schedule to be released in April with the features Steve Sinclair described. The most interesting part of the article is that the author pointed out to both Palm, and the carriers, that they are pointing at each other as to who is holding the release up. The ball ended in the carrier's court who said that they would have to get executive approval to comment, on Palm's comment, about them holding up the release. Follow the ball closely as I shuffle these cups around folks! Read the article here.

ROM Update to Incorporate 680 Bluetooth Stack???
    - SAG's creator, Arseniy Prusov, is speculating that the 700p ROM update will incorporate the 680's Bluetooth stack. He claims that it is a much more correct implimentation of the Bluetooth standard. That is even better than the 650's which we know worked much more reliably than the 700p's. Hopefully he is correct and Palm can impliment it on the 700p's hardware. Read his post here.

That's a wrap!
    End of 3-20-07 Update

Beginning of 2-22-07 Update

2-22-07: 700p ROM Update News(?): I followed up on the points that Merlyn-3d made in this thread a few weeks ago by emailing Steve Sinclair. I asked for a clarification about his letter stating that there would be a Bluetooth patch in early 2007 and then a roll up ROM update in late 1Q 2007. At the time we were nearly at mid 1Q so I asked if that was still the same plan. Sinclair replied to me today that he could not give me any updates at this time but should be able to get more info out to everyone in a couple of weeks. I hope that is good news because my 1 year warranty is up in less than three months!

Cheers to Perry for starting an entertaining poll/thread asking TC'ers to predict which week the ROM firmware update will be released. Check it out the thread: Rom Update Forecast Poll

2-22-07: Patches that Palm Did Announce: Palm is coming through with other patches though. One is for the Daylight savings time change that is applicable to all Palm OS units even all the way back to the original Pilot. Now that's an impressive backwards compatible patch. Another patch is for the Outlook 2007 conduit for the Daylight savings issue. I believe there is also a patch for Vista. More information is listed somewhere on the front page of Treocentral.

2-22-07: Treo 700w/wx Open Letter Owners of the Treo 700w/wx are now rallying behind a letter written by Treocentral's Dmitri hoping to bring certain issues to Palm's attention.

Some of the issues parallel those of the 700 such as that of Bluetooth reliability. It makes one wonder if this is more of a hardware issue since the 700w and 700p are identical in that respect. Another theme similar to the 700p's is the runaround received between support depts at Verizon/Microsoft/Palm all pointing to each other's support. Here we go again taking a ride on the TreoGoRound.... WEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOTE: I do not clearly understand why the 240x240 screen resolution was listed as an issue. It was a limitation clearly made known at launch time. I can only guess it is alluding to a desired WM6 upgrade option being made available as will be on the 750.

Read about it here.

That's a wrap!

End of 2-22-07 Update

Beginning of 2-4-07 Update

- 2/4/07 SMS Lockup Update: A few weeks back I had sent Palm the workaround from the SMS Lockup Thread detailing the workaround of deleting thread messages when a particular thread gets up to 50 messages. He was thankful and passed it onto the appropriate persons. The lockup has also been experienced by 680 owners when texting with Verizon Wireless phones. Palm's support dept has reportedly been providing the workaround to them. Hopefully our helping Palm recreate the problem combined with 680 users already reporting this will increase any extra urgency for Palm in regards to this issue.

2-4-07: 680 Issues: Other interesting problems arising with the 680 in addition to the aforementioned lockup.

*) Palm has acknowledged that the 680 is not backwards compatible with many 650 cradles. They will apparently sync but it will also set off a battery drain that continues long afterwards and affects the unit's stability.

*) Palm has also acknowledged a second battery problem related to the camera. Once used, it does not deactivate and continues to draw power after you have switched out of the application. Palm quickly released a fix. Hopefully such a quick response will be applied to other products going forward as we still await a firmware update for the 700p.

2-4-07: Firmware Release Clarification: A few weeks back, I verified with Steve Sinclair that the firmware update is targetted for 1Q 2007 of the calendar year and NOT the fiscal year as some had feared. I also want to point out that his original letter stated, "late 1Q 2007" and not early 1Q as some seem to be under the impression of. This is all still pending carrier approval.

End of 2-4-07 Update

Beginning of 1-10-07 Update

1-10-07: The fourth item was added (see a few posts below for details).

End of 1-10-07 Update

Beginning of 1-1-07 Update

1-1-07: The third issue was updated after the phone conversation I had with Steve Sinclair on 1-23-06 concerning lag. I've attached a summary of the conversation below.

End of 1-1-07 Update

Beginning of the Campaign 10-23-06

Petition signed by 420 users (started 10-23-06): 700P ROM Update Rally!! - Organize, Be Heard!

End of Campaign Link

Beginning of my 700p's One Year Warranty Period

5-12-2006

End of my 700p's One Year Warranty Period

5-12-2007

Linking to this Thread Policy

Feel free to link this thread to any other website you like. In the meantime, I have spent a lot of time on this whole thing and need to go away from Treocentral for overdue Xmas shopping. Thank goodness I can catch up by going to websites like Cnet.com, and PCMag.com where I can read user posted reviews for all the gifts that I am considering buying. Then I can go to other websites like Buy.com, Amazon.com, TigerDirect.com,etc where they have reviews from users like myself so that consumers can make informed purchase decisions.

Until next time, Happy Holidays!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Bob-C; 03/04/2008 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Updated with summary of 3/4/08 developments.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  2. ayn
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    I've said it before, but I will say it again, the Verizon SMS issue where the phone freezes when it receives a delivery confirmation is probably one of the top 3 biggest problem I am having with the phone... the BT and randomly-crashing being #1 and 2...
    Verizon Treo 700p w/ Martin Fields and Best Skin Ever film (sold)
    Thank you for handling the excellent communication to Palm. Your letters are well executed and professional while still getting the main points across.

I am adding my experience here in hopes that the Palm engineers and company execs realize that the slow response time when switching between apps and phone, etc. is really a problem. I noticed in Palm's response they stated that they haven't heard too many people having issues with slow switching between apps.

I've owned a Treo 600/650/700p. I did not experience the slow switching on the 600 or the 650. It was instant when hanging up from a call or switching to another application. On my Treo 700p it takes several seconds (sometimes up to 5) after ending a call to be able to use another function. This is very frustrating. It usually takes up to 3 seconds switching between other applications.

I can't think of an explanation for this as the 700p has a better processor and more memory than the previous models.

Palm, are you listening?

Thank You
    Palm is really in deep denial if they think the lag isn't an issue for most people with 700p's. Perhaps they are only counting the users that drive by their HQ and egg the Executive Offices (eggs that hit Engineering, Shipping and Customer Service aren't counted)?

I have yet to see a 700p that DOESN'T lag. It still "works" but c'mon Palm - up to a minute to swap apps will not only be noticed by "older Treo models," it'll be noticed by a user of any Palm device produced since 1996!

Stick it to us if you don't want to (or can't) fix it - but don't shine us on and try telling us that "a significant number of their customer base" won't notice it.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by ayn View Post
    I've said it before, but I will say it again, the Verizon SMS issue where the phone freezes when it receives a delivery confirmation is probably one of the top 3 biggest problem I am having with the phone... the BT and randomly-crashing being #1 and 2...

SMS freezing (verizon) is by far the most annoying problem on the phone.

fred
  6.    #6  
    Updated top post today concerning latest with lag.
    Bob, would you be able to pass on (on behalf of all the macbook users in the forum) our severe disappointment in palm for refusing to make palm desktop/hotsync a universal binary? Every other program, even missing sync, now runs natively on intel macs, but palm feels that hotsync works just fine through rosetta. The problem here is hotsync has at least two things running at all times, this uses up resources unnecessarily as rosetta has to then always be running. It can't be that difficult to recompile palm desktop to be intel native.

The fact that they are unwilling to do this only contributes palm's current reputation of not caring about what its consumers, specifically power users, would like.
    Quote Originally Posted by ayn View Post
    The Verizon SMS lockup issue, in my case, makes what would be a good business tool heavily crippled. I'd like to see this listed as an issue as well.

I've only had application lag on my 700p recently, but I have found it seems to be when I have "No Service" on the phone, as if the phone somehow needed to have signal to perform non-phone functions properly. I need to test more on that, but the Verizon SMS lockup issue is a serious one, and one that would prevent me from recommendint the Verizon/Treo 700p combo to anyone.

EDIT: It is important to know this issue does not fall under #3, LAG. While it is laggy, it is a completely separate issue, and should be documented and treated as such. I did not see this listed on the original letter to Bob wrote to Palm, which is the reason I did not sign it (I felt I could only sign based on the experiences I was currently having).
    Last edited by LoneWolf15; 01/05/2007 at 09:45 AM.
    (Hope this isn't a repost! I just typed this in, and the forum weirded out. If it's a repeat ... sorry!)

Thanks, Bob-C, for this really excellent contribution to the community. Everything complementary that's been said by the community and the company is completely justified. I've just spent an hour googling, slowly accumulating the perspective I got in minutes here. (Man, I wish *THIS* page had been the top google hit!)

Never the less, I'm a bit uncomfortable with one aspect. You conclude (in phone1.pdf) that the success of Palm's current efforts will tell "whether Palm ... is sincere, or this is just a PRPRPR $move$.&$quot$; $As$ $a$ $software$ $professional$ $of$ $over$ $20$ $years$, $I$ $can$ $assure$ $you$ $that$ $sincerity$ $does$ $not$ $guarantee$ $success$! $I$ $dare$ $say$ $you$'$ll$ $acknowledge$ $this$ $point$.

So, assuming Palm's success is less than we hope, please do not rush to doubt their sincerity. Otherwise, exactly the problem you yourself pointed out (dissuading non-technical buyers) could result. Instead, let us here in the forum develop a new assessment of the problem and a more calibrated response.

But it's also true that sincerity does not always guarantee best effort. There is always a little more you can do, and it's always a business decision when to stop. In this conversation, you have developed a formidable relationship and respect with Palm. Again assuming less-than-stellar success, please, on behalf of us all, continue to use this relationship to encourage them to redouble their efforts!
    Bob-C and everyone

I wanted to use Hotsync to transfer email from Outlook to the Treo 700p. I had done it when I first got the phone but had to hard reset the Treo and install a new C drive in my PC so lost the method. I talked to Palm Level II tech support, who talked to two different tech support leads. All said it couldn't be done.

It can. I've now re-discovered it. And as far as I can tell it isn't documented anywhere on the Palm web site, even in the detailed Versamail setup instructions, or anywhere else on the web. Bob-C, if you're in touch with Palm engineers you should get them to post it--or am I the only one who wants to do this?

This assumes that the user has already installed Versamail on the PC and then hotsynced it and done the setup on the Treo.
    Click on Hotsyn icon. Go to Versamail, Change, Add Account, which takes you to the Setup Email Account screen. Fill in that screen. Then at the very bottom of the screen there's an empty check box that says "Click Next to continue or check this option to custom setup."
    If you click to put a checkmark in that box and then click Next, it takes you to another screen which has a box with various options. One of them is "Outlook 2000 or above". Select that and continue with the setup.
    When you're done, close out of everything. Then go back and make sure the Versamail conduit is set to Synchronize and the default setting.
    Close Hotsync. Synchronize. Email from your Outlook will appear in a Mail icon on the Treo. This is in addition to the Email icon, which is where the email from a Wireless sync appears.

Note that virtually all of the descriptions of what Versamail can sync with list things like Microsoft Exchange Server, hotmail etc. I haven't found, ANYWHERE, this explanation of how to sync with Outlook email through the Hotsync connection, or even the statement that such a thing is possible. It appears that Palm doesn't know what their own program is capable of!

David Simon
    dhs14@cornell.edu
    I thought Palm stated quite some time ago that its investment in improving Palm Desktop was over, and that Mac users would have to switch to Missing Sync/iCal.

Despite that, I soldier on with Palm Desktop in Rosetta on my MBP as I have been using it for so long.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    Bob, would you be able to pass on (on behalf of all the macbook users in the forum) our severe disappointment in palm for refusing to make palm desktop/hotsync a universal binary? Every other program, even missing sync, now runs natively on intel macs, but palm feels that hotsync works just fine through rosetta. The problem here is hotsync has at least two things running at all times, this uses up resources unnecessarily as rosetta has to then always be running. It can't be that difficult to recompile palm desktop to be intel native.

The fact that they are unwilling to do this only contributes palm's current reputation of not caring about what its consumers, specifically power users, would like.
    Palm IIIx>Palm Vx>Palm m515>Tungsten T>Tungsten C>Verizon Treo 650
    ................................StarTAC 7868W>Motorola V710>Verizon Treo 650>Treo 700p>Apple iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by neuronbob View Post
    I thought Palm stated quite some time ago that its investment in improving Palm Desktop was over, and that Mac users would have to switch to Missing Sync/iCal.

Despite that, I soldier on with Palm Desktop in Rosetta on my MBP as I have been using it for so long.

Bob
    I hate the fact that I have to have rosetta open though.
  13.    #13  
    I emailed Steve Sinclair at Palm about the SMS lockup issue on Monday. I am on Sprint & do not have this problem so I included Keefer's original post in the Lockup Thread in my email
    to describe it.

I realized how big a problem this issue is when I saw another lockup thread on mytreo.net. I figured it must be a REALLY bad problem if there was a similar thread on the website for all users who have no problems with their perfectly running Treo's.. =>

My main question to Steve was whether this issue will be addressed in the upcoming firmware update. That way you guys can stop banging your heads for a solution.

I can imagine Steve is at CES this week so we will have to give him sometime to get back to us. So be patient. I will post any update I get on this thread and include it at the top with the other issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    I figured it must be a REALLY bad problem if there was a similar thread on the website for all users who have no problems with their perfectly running Treo's.. =>
    Funny.
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    So it's January now, the month is 1/3 over and no peep out of Palm about a working bluetooth implementation or patch for the 700p. Apple's announced their iPhone, which looks to kill the treo in almost every way, especially with a company (Apple) who actually supports its consumers as well as its power users. Palm indicated they'd have a working bluetooth fix by the end of this month, and a firmware update by the end of Q1. Now they've seen what apple has to offer, and I seriously doubt the iPhone or any other phone for that matter is going to boot the connection from every bluetooth headset ever made after you end a call.

The ONLY reason ones like the JX-10 work is because once the treo boots the headset, the jabra is smart enough to try and reconnect to the treo. Even then there are those times where you just see an inverted bluetooth icon for about 20 seconds and it fails to connect to the headset again. Often times I have to soft reset because of this.

Bob-C, in your next conversation, can you ask what happened to our request for more open communication regarding support issues for the treo? It seems we got 1-2 letters that danced around the real issues, and that's it. There is still no channel of communication.
  16.    #16  
    Just to clear up any misconceptions, I only had a conversation with Steve Sinclair. It is not an ongoing thing. At this point there is really nothing more to communicate until the firmware patch is released which he stated would be sometime in the 1Q. Not the first or second week. So we just have to be patient and let them focus on that. Hounding them would only undermine future communication. If we get to the end of March without an update, then there will be something to discuss with him.

I received the following reply from Steve . It confirms that Palm is aware of the SMS Lockup issue and has been pursuing a fix. Hope this puts some minds at rest.

Hi Bob,
    We've been actively investigating the issue you describe below. Assuming we can figure out the fix, it would be included in the Treo 700p maintenance release we spoke about before.

Regards,

Steve
  17.    #17  
    Most of my recent access to Treocentral have been at times when I could only use my 700p. So I have not been able to update the top of this thread for awhile. Today I got a chance to use my laptop and bring it up to date. So check out the updates above.

Was also wondering if anyone had linked this thread to review sections of consumer websites?
    You might want to add the soft reset issue to this list. It takes entirely too long. My 650 did not malfunction like this.
    Bob-C, regarding your update, Palm did say late Q1 for the firmware update; we all know and have discussed that. Our issue is the fact that Steve mentioned there would be a patch to actually make Bluetooth work like it's supposed to "early Q1". This is why we're a bit pissed off that the entire month of January has passed, what many would consider "early Q1", and still no patch, no nothing.

Also, why doesn't palm actually post any of this in a public forum or something? Why do they only go through one person (namely you) so that if you don't have access to a computer, you can't update the rest of the world?

There are many factors in our continuing disappointment with palm over how they're handling us power users. These are just a few.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    Bob-C, regarding your update, Palm did say late Q1 for the firmware update; we all know and have discussed that. Our issue is the fact that Steve mentioned there would be a patch to actually make Bluetooth work like it's supposed to "early Q1". This is why we're a bit pissed off that the entire month of January has passed, what many would consider "early Q1", and still no patch, no nothing.
    He did not state, "early Q1". Here are the quotes:

Bluetooth:

"We hope to have a patch specifically available for Bluetooth
    early in the new year assuming it passes through all its certifications and is approved by the carriers."

Firmware Upgrade:

These changes will be released as part of a formal ROM update planned for
    availability in late Q1 2007. That 700p ROM update will roll in the Bluetooth patch I mentioned above as well as a number of other enhancements to system stability, reliability and performance.

"Early in the new year", covers anywhere within the first three months of the year as opposed to mid-year or late year.

I also can't imagine why they would release a Bluetooth specific patch and a firmware update within such a short time of each other as the quotes imply. I would think it would be much less hassle for them to support just one update. So the two statements are confusing.
Page 1 of 18 12345611 ... LastLast