View Poll Results: Did you find this Tracking thread helpful from a consumer standpoint?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

141 88.68%
  • No

18 11.32%
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    If I remember right, the treo 300, 600, & 650 all had two major updates in their life time. I was expecting that tradition to continue with the 700p. If and when they give us a update I doubt it will be more then a compilation of the already released patches, the 680 BT stack, and maybe if we are lucky some fix for the SMS issue. I think the lag is not fixable and a result of the unified hardware to support multiple operating systems.

Their move to create a device that will support two fundamentally different operating systems has taken their focus away from the software side of things. We have not seen much of a change is the OS from the 650 to 700 (not counting the nifty bell replacing the “snowflake”).

Now that Palm is developing another OS, why would they want to invest resources on an OS that will not be supported anymore? I think those who want to buy the 755p should be concerned about this as well. I would be surprised if that phone received even the same level of support as the 700p.
    Last edited by ink883; 04/13/2007 at 03:08 PM.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by ink883 View Post
    If I remember right, the treo 300, 600, & 650 all had two major updates in their life time. I was expecting that tradition to continue with the 700p.
    The Treo 300 and Treo 600 were released by Handspring, not Palm, so any history of updates there doesn't apply. The 650 had updates, but the LifeDrive didn't. Looking at that, I don't see why anyone would assume that there would be an update (until we were eventually told there would) based on past history alone.
    why is everyone saying the lag can't be fixed, I was under the asumption it was caused by versamail so it would seem surely some highly "educated" palm engineer could fix this
    Quote Originally Posted by yavapai View Post
    why is everyone saying the lag can't be fixed, I was under the asumption it was caused by versamail so it would seem surely some highly "educated" palm engineer could fix this
    Well, that's an interesting trick seeing as how I don't have Versamail anywhere on my Treo, but sometimes lag up to 7-10 seconds switching between apps.

Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Versamail per se is not the culprit. Certainly when you install it and/or use it, the lag problems increase. The phone itself lags and freezes with only the pre-installed stuff on it.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I use Versamail and experience very little lag. I actually like Versamail. It pulls down my corporate email effectively and efficiently regardless of whether I am on the road or in the office.

I say the problem lies within the hardware or OS or both.

SMEGGIE
    Yer pal,

SMEGGIE

A bigger Treo fan than I'll admit.
    Quote Originally Posted by headgamer View Post
    Well, that's an interesting trick seeing as how I don't have Versamail anywhere on my Treo, but sometimes lag up to 7-10 seconds switching between apps.

I thought versamial was in rom, but any way if I do a hard reset and don't touch versamail my treo is fast moment I set up versamail my phone gets the lag but I like veramail so I just put up with. if that is my problem I hope this long awaited update takes care of my and everyone elses problem so we can be one big happy treo community
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Uhhh, the LifeDrive had 2 updates released during its lifetime. The LD itself was released in May of 2005. The first update was in June 2005 and the final, major update was in December 2005.

I had already gotten rid of my LD by the time the 2nd update was released but the first just was a small update for a handful of wi-fi routers. But the 2.0 update was the biggie. It updated DocsToGo, Versamail, Blazer etc and attempted somewhat successfully to address the lag.

In hindsight, Palm did a much better job of "resolving" the LifeDrive's severe issues (given its hobbled hardware) MUCH better than it has handled the
    700p.
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    Uhhh, the LifeDrive had 2 updates released during its lifetime. The LD itself was released in May of 2005. The first update was in June 2005 and the final, major update was in December 2005.

I had already gotten rid of my LD by the time the 2nd update was released but the first just was a small update for a handful of wi-fi routers. But the 2.0 update was the biggie. It updated DocsToGo, Versamail, Blazer etc and attempted somewhat successfully to address the lag.

In hindsight, Palm did a much better job of "resolving" the LifeDrive's severe issues (given its hobbled hardware) MUCH better than it has handled the
    700p.
    I stand corrected then. I hadn't kept up on the LD all that much, but I'd have sworn there weren't any updates.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    While I am feeling far from objective about this "annoncement" on Tuesday (again, if they know already why do we have to wait) I do want to say one thing to Bob-C:

Thanks very much for all your effort on behalf of 700p users, and all Treo users in general. If nothing else, you helped send an important message to Palm's management. Palm may consistently be dumping BS on us, but your effort was genuine.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eodell View Post
    Thanks very much for all your effort on behalf of 700p users, and all Treo users in general. If nothing else, you helped send an important message to Palm's management. Palm may consistently be dumping BS on us, but your effort was genuine.
    Absolutely!
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Steve S. in his Dec statement said that they did not have hope for fixing the lag as it was inherent to the hardware design (that means the phone should have been yellow like the lemon that it is). He said they could work with the other issues. (basically that is what I got from his statement and only powers users were having the problem) I have had 3 of the 700p's and they all have had the lag! I know that there is a good chance (very good) that the 755p will have the lag! and I am very disappointed with that. Some people say that lag is less on the 680 and hopefully it will be less on the 755p. Hopefully both the 700p and the 755 will be able to install the new OS. Only time will tell!
    The lag is inherent to the 700p. This is a direct quote from Jeffgibson back in October:

There is a nasty bug in the Palm operating system that is causing this slowness during profile changes. In fact you see this same slowness in many other applications too on the Treo 700p. There are several threads talking about this very subject.

The bug kicks in when applications request information that is stored in files on the Treo 700p. In ProfileCare's case, the profile information is stored in a file. The programming calls used to access this information are orders of magnatude slower on the Treo 700p as compared to the Treo 650. To fix this problem I would have to rewrite the entire database application programming interface on the Treo 700p and that would be a significant undertaking!

I just hope we get an updated ROM for the Treo 700p that fixes this particular issue.

Jeff, but the way is the developer of Profile Care, Volume Care, CradleCare, BTmute, Schedule Care, and a host of other brilliant pieces of software. To say he would know what he is talking about would be an understatement.
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    As promised, a just a little front page love for the patch issue went up in the podcast. Assuming, and I think it's safe to, that the Palm blog gets its promised update we'll post that as a separate story tomorrow.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Yes. Just checked it out. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    As promised, a just a little front page love for the patch issue went up in the podcast. Assuming, and I think it's safe to, that the Palm blog gets its promised update we'll post that as a separate story tomorrow.
    Hey Dieter, I think that Mike Overbo had the right idea with saying "you think they'll actually meet that deadline?" I realize it was said jokingly, but it can't be more true. Now here's the thing, when we asked for a front page story on the disappointment, this isn't quite what we meant. You see, this is hidden halfway through a 30 minute audio clip, and you guys barely touch it. After listening to the podcast, it just really really seems like you guys are in Palm's pocket. You are a separate entity, aren't you?

You see, no one at Palm, or elsewhere on the 'net is going to listen to a 30 minute podcast to pick it up. The disappointment is in no way emphasized to the point that it has been in these forums or on Palm's blog. In fact, you guys aren't reflecting at all the sentiment in your own forums. We are disappointed in the sheer fact that supposedly tomorrow Palm is only releasing information on WHEN the update might actually be available, not the actual update. Keep in mind the update was supposed to be released by the end of March, not news of it. They have taken 2 steps back, none forward.

Why can Treocentral not put an article on its front page that reflects accurately the opinions and sentiments of its most frequent visitors and contributers? I realize you tried, and I appreciate that, but it's nowhere near what we were asking for. We need an article, clearcut, that doesn't sound like you guys are trying to be overly nice to Palm. Something that can be slashdotted, digged, and spread around the net to raise awareness on these complete lack of support from this company.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    I have to agree. I listended to the podcast, but I think the 700p ROM issue could have more direct attention.

Unfortunately this comes at a time where there is a lot of other important Palm news, so the 700p is getting pushed to the back page.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    i don't like podcasts, it takes too long to get to the news I am interested in. It is easier to skip to the meat when you are reading.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    Hey Dieter, I think that Mike Overbo had the right idea with saying "you think they'll actually meet that deadline?" I realize it was said jokingly, but it can't be more true. Now here's the thing, when we asked for a front page story on the disappointment, this isn't quite what we meant. You see, this is hidden halfway through a 30 minute audio clip, and you guys barely touch it. After listening to the podcast, it just really really seems like you guys are in Palm's pocket. You are a separate entity, aren't you?

You see, no one at Palm, or elsewhere on the 'net is going to listen to a 30 minute podcast to pick it up. The disappointment is in no way emphasized to the point that it has been in these forums or on Palm's blog. In fact, you guys aren't reflecting at all the sentiment in your own forums. We are disappointed in the sheer fact that supposedly tomorrow Palm is only releasing information on WHEN the update might actually be available, not the actual update. Keep in mind the update was supposed to be released by the end of March, not news of it. They have taken 2 steps back, none forward.

Why can Treocentral not put an article on its front page that reflects accurately the opinions and sentiments of its most frequent visitors and contributers? I realize you tried, and I appreciate that, but it's nowhere near what we were asking for. We need an article, clearcut, that doesn't sound like you guys are trying to be overly nice to Palm. Something that can be slashdotted, digged, and spread around the net to raise awareness on these complete lack of support from this company.
    I couldn't agree more. When I read the "frontpage coverage" today I ended up really disappointed. Not only the summary of the podcast tell us nothing about the updated date when we will get the date of the update (yes, I spent the entire morning thinking about that one ), but it only skimly covers what we all already know about Bob-C's extremely great tracking of the update latest news. If anything putting a link to his forum entry is a right thing to do.

But not having any other type of coverage in the frontpage is definitely impacting negatively my percepcion of Treocentral as a prefered site for all things Palm. You guys could go on just reporting the facts as they are, i.e. Palm somewhat promising an update by Q1, then slipping it into April and then slipping it again until TBDTBDTBD; $those$ $are$ $only$ $pure$, $cold$ $hard$ $facts$ $that$ $reflect$ $no$ $preference$ $whatsoever$ $or$ $criticize$ $in$ $any$ $way$ $Palm$'$s$ $commitment$ $to$ $their$ $700p$ $base$ ($or$ $lack$ $thereof$). $For$ $doing$ $that$, $however$, $one$ $resorts$ $to$ $editorial$ $comments$.

Now, if somebody would just express all of our feelings in an editorial form I believe that would be gold. As Merlyn_3D points out, such article could be digg-ed (or dug ) and could definitely raise the awareness that any 700p user wants and/or inform the potential 700p wanna-bes about the mine-field they are about to enter.

All in all, thanks for the tiny morsel but c'mon, let's kick it up a notch!
    To-Morrow! To-Morrow! I love ya! To-Morrow! You're only a DAAY AH-WAAAAY.
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast