View Poll Results: Did you find this Tracking thread helpful from a consumer standpoint?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

141 88.68%
  • No

18 11.32%
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    I too am impressed he responded. I do believe we won't be seeing an update in April or even May (se Steves comments of revising the April release later in the week).

Good to see at least he cares enough to gte back to us.
    LLARSON
    Treo 600, 650,700P, 755P and iPHONE
    Quote Originally Posted by SMEGGIE View Post
    Thanks Bob. Steve's word's are certainly encouraging...

<committing the words: 'later this week' to memory>

Hopefully, this deadline won't 'slip' too.

SMEGGIE

"Please know that Palm is not abandoning the Treo 700p - the Treo 700p
    software update will be released once it has passed ours and the
    carrier's testing. Several weeks ago, we'd notified several of the
    Treo/Palm community sites that the update was expected later than Q1 and
    our best estimate was for a release in the month of April. We're going
    to have to revise that date again
    but hope to provide a more specific
    release date with higher confidence given that we are further along in
    the testing process. Palm will communicate this info to the user
    community later this week.

Regards,
    Steve"

Hi SMEGGIE !!

Don't get too enthused about "the end of this week" . . . .

Let's just hope all this time and testing bears significant fruit. . . .

On the flip side -- I see the 755 at Sprint as basically a "refresh of the 700P" not intended to be a significantly new model. If the 755 pans out as rumored. . . my next Treo will be the Palm/Linux OS version . . . so the ROM update will be welcome and will tide me over for awhile. . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    "Please know that Palm is not abandoning the Treo 700p - the Treo 700p
    software update will be released once it has passed ours and the
    carrier's testing. Several weeks ago, we'd notified several of the
    Treo/Palm community sites that the update was expected later than Q1 and
    our best estimate was for a release in the month of April. We're going
    to have to revise that date again
    but hope to provide a more specific
    release date with higher confidence given that we are further along in
    the testing process. Palm will communicate this info to the user
    community later this week.

Regards,
    Steve"

Hi SMEGGIE !!

Don't get too enthused about "the end of this week" . . . .

Let's just hope all this time and testing bears significant fruit. . . .

On the flip side -- I see the 755 at Sprint as basically a "refresh of the 700P" not intended to be a significantly new model. If the 755 pans out as rumored. . . my next Treo will be the Palm/Linux OS version . . . so the ROM update will be welcome and will tide me over for awhile. . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    Believe me, PH...

My enthusiam for anything Palm has waned during this past year with the 700P. Mine actually works well enough to be my office on the road and despite reports that the Bluetooth, uh, sucks, my 700P pairs now every time I get into my car...which I am amazed at. I would, however, like to see if they can follow through with a firmware update that actually makes it a better device.

Every company that releases crappy products, versions or upgrades, KNOWS that they are releasing crappy products, versions or upgrades. However, this provides for two possible scenarios:

1. They don't do anything about it
    2. They do something about it

At least in light of Bob's most recent posting of Steve's message, you have to give the guy credit for responding. Now, the 'proof-in-the-putting' is whether or not we will continue to hear from Steve and Palm and whether or not an update ever sees the light of day.

SMEGGIE
    Yer pal,

SMEGGIE

A bigger Treo fan than I'll admit.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Well, thanks to Mr. Sinclair for quickly giving us the PRPRPR $wash$ $down$... $not$ $that$ $Treocentral$ $did$ $receive$ $that$ $notification$ $of$ $a$ $revised$ &$quot$;$after$ $Q1$&$quot$; $deadline$ $or$ $something$... $I$ $mean$, $not$ $like$ $Treocentral$ $is$ $that$ $important$ $for$ $the$ $Treo$ $community$ $right$ ?

And not only that, but he then promises to give a better update on when the update will be ready later this week... sheez, can they get more un-specific than that? Maybe all them executives at Palm have taken that public relations refresher course that states "exact dates are non-existent in the bussiness world. Be as fuzzy and broad as you can be when giving out expected deadlines"

So our predictions were right in the sense that they have not finished yet... I even wonder if they started working on it that while ago. Great news from Palm come in other fronts yes, but the 700p still is not getting any serious love...

Palm: "I misstreat you 700p because you deserve it !"
    Treo 700p "Oh Palm, you must love me so! "
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    Palm: "I misstreat you 700p because you deserve it !"

Treo 700p "Oh Palm, you must love me so! "
    So in this analogy, Palm is Ike, and the 700p is Tina Turner?
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    I've updated the top of the Tracer with a letter I just sent Sinclair. Have also included some interesting thoughts that hit me about the 755p release vs the 700p firmware wait. Please read and let me know what you think.
    Bob, could you tell us what those "interesting thoughts" were?

Do you think the 700 is just going to get the 755 firmware? Or perhaps the 700 firmware is the beta test for the 755 firmware?
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Revise that date again?!?!?!?! WTF? That would put it in May/June, then it would TRULY be one year since the release of the device, and one year having to use a $650 device that can't function the way it was advertised to. Not abandoning the 700p? Yeah right! It seems more and more like the only reason they're not abandoning it now is because we made such a publicity case about it several months ago.

Septimus, where's the front page story now? Please, I implore you, no sugar coating, present the story for what it is, and hope that other treo sites and gadget sites pick up on it, or it gets digged. People really need to know how royally Palm has screwed up here.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    Septimus, where's the front page story now? Please, I implore you, no sugar coating, present the story for what it is, and hope that other treo sites and gadget sites pick up on it, or it gets digged. People really need to know how royally Palm has screwed up here.
    I think he said it is going to go into the podcast... for whatever that is worth
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by ink883 View Post
    I think he said it is going to go into the podcast... for whatever that is worth
    I am of the belief that that isn't enough. They really need to dedicate an entire article to this issue, and include most of this support tracker thread. Otherwise it seems so easily missed in a podcast.
  10. wjc
    This is a letter I wrote to a Regional Palm Representative stating my problems with the 700P after frustration at not being able to reach anyone in the corporate office. I would like it to be given to Ed Colligan or Steve Sinclair at Palm.

March 25, 2007

Dear Ed Colligan,

I am writing to you because of a chronic and consistent problem I have had with my Palm Treo 700Ps (I have now owned four 700Ps since July of 2006. Two brand new 700Ps and two refurbished 700Ps from Verizon Wireless). The problem consistently becomes apparent after several months of owning the device. Unfortunately, this is too late to return the device, but luckily not out of the warranty period. The problem can be best described as analogous to buying a new computer. When you first get the computer, it works well: all the programs run smoothly, it is fast, there are no glitches. Then after owning it for several years, it starts to run slowly, the programs start to have glitches, finally it starts freezing and rebooting, and then is unusable. This is what happens consistently with every Palm 700P that I have owned.

I have owned Palm Treos since they first debuted back in 2003, and have bought Palm devices since the Pilot in 1996. I have owned every Palm OS model that has been introduced. They have all worked perfectly. The first one I have ever had a problem with is the 700P.

The problems that I encounter are:

1) Initially my Bluetooth headset works well. Then, after a while, in a progressive fashion, it does not connect. It will show on the Treo screen that the Bluetooth is connected, and it sounds like it is connected (light static), but no transmission of sound comes through. I can soft-reset my phone by pushing the reset button, remove the battery to soft-reset the phone, turn the Bluetooth receiver off and on at the headset, and on the phone, and have the phone rediscover the headset and reprogram it, but nothing makes it work again. It will sometimes stop working in the middle of a call. Last week the headset did not work at all on each day I tried it. Now it is temporarily working again. It also does not matter which Bluetooth headset I use. I have tried multiple Bluetooth headset manufacturers and have experienced the same problem, which tells me the problem is the phone and not the headset.

2) The phone lags, pauses, and freezes all of the time. This too is getting progressively worse. When I touch the screen or press a button on the keypad, the phone will not respond to the input for sometimes a few seconds and sometimes up to five minutes. Not only does it waste time, often preventing me from finishing the task, but it happens with multiple programs in multiple settings. The most frustrating example is when I am listening to my phone messages and I press the button “7” to erase a message. Because I don’t hear the beep from pressing the “7” key, I press it again thinking that I just didn’t press it hard enough. Thirty seconds later the “7” input goes through twice, thereby erasing the message to which I am currently listening and the next message that I have not heard yet. Another problem is when I push the red "end call" button, it often does not hang up for a while no matter how many times I press the button (delayed response again). This can lead to some awkward moments when I have stopped speaking but my phone will not hang up. Overall, the phone constantly registers input late and is plagued with 30 second to five minute lag times when pressing buttons or switching between programs.

3) However, the most frustrating problem, which makes the phone almost unusable, it that when I am talking on the phone, and it does not matter if I am using the Bluetooth headset or not, (although it happens more often when I am using the headset), if someone else calls at the same time, instead of the phone screen showing that there is another caller, thus giving me the option to answer the incoming call, my phone just freezes, shuts down and then reboots. As luck would have it, I am almost always talking on a very important call when this happens. It is even worse than a dropped call, because the other party cannot call me back and I cannot call them back until two minutes later when my phone finishes rebooting. Even worse, my phone does not record the person that just called in the “Call Log” section. Furthermore, it does not even go to voice mail so that the caller can leave a message.

These problems make my phone unusable. I have contacted both Palm Treo service as well as Verizon’s service department about these problems. I have probably spent over ten hours explaining these problems to them. Every time I contact either company about these problems, I am told to initially perform a hard reset and if the problem persists, that they will send me a new phone. I have hard reset my multiple 700Ps, multiple times, and have received four new phones. They all have the same recurring problem. I have been told that the problem is the software that I put on my phone, but when I received a brand new 700P in December 2006, I ran my phone without any third party software for one month, and while not experiencing as many problems as I am having now, I still experienced Bluetooth and lag time problems. One month later I finally loaded the software back on the phone, since that is the whole reason I bought the Palm phone. I have lots of medical software on my phone, and I feel if I have to give that up the third party software to use the phone, then it would not make sense to own a big bulky Palm phone just to make phone calls when I could switch to a slim phone just for that purpose. Interestingly and ironically, my 700P has the exact same software that I ran on my previous Treo 650, and I never had one problem at all from the Treo 650.

When I call Palm or Verizon, they tell me that no one else has had these complaints, but on several occasions I have emailed both of their service departments with the pasted weblink to Palm Inc.’s website which shows that multiple other consumer’s are having these same problems. No one from either company has ever gotten back to me. This is incredibly poor customer service. I was hoping for a “patch” or “update” to fix the problem. I am a physician and have to diagnose problems all of the time just based on someone’s history of the problem. Why cannot Palm or Verizon do the same? Have I not spoken to the appropriate people? I even emailed my complaint to the Palm Corporate Office with no response.

After so many problems with the 700P, on my last call to Verizon a few days ago, a supervisor said that maybe I should switch to a refurbished Palm 700wx. I could switch to the Palm 700wx, but I like the Palm OS/700P interface, and most importantly, I have approximately $500.00 worth of Palm OS programs on my Treo that I would have to re-buy for the Windows Mobile OS. Furthermore, some of the programs are not even available as a Windows version. I don’t know if the 700P has a memory problem or processor problem as the 700w did, hence the introduction of the 700wx. I have enough RAM remaining on the phone with the programs installed that memory should not be a problem. I have heard that a Palm OS based Treo 755P may be coming to Verizon in May 2007. Might this solve the problem?

Please let me know if you have a solution to this problem. The only other solution I can think of is to try the Treo 680 at Cingular/ATT, or become a loyal customer of Black Berry due to its great customer service track record, or the Motorola Q, since it runs Windows which seems to be more a more stable OS and is smaller and cheaper than the 700wx.

Thank you,
    WJC
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I personally have never called support. They aren't half as smart as the information I find on the net... so I never bother. Not sure if others do this.
    If I could know then, what I know now.
    Quote Originally Posted by eodell View Post
    I think about the only thing that might possibly make up for the poor performace of the 700p would be to offer some sort of free or discount upgrade-path to the 755. Even then, I personally would not be convinced to stay with Palm as I feel that I as a consumer have been taken for granted.
    that is a given. i don't know about the other carriers, but i know i'll get a free upgrade from sprint on my next phone (or a price low enough to sell my 700p on ebay to cover the cost of the new phone). sprint is good about that if you talk to the right people (check out sprintusers.com).

i paid $119 for the 700p and sold my a900 on ebay for more than that. that's why i don't gripe about the 700p...the documented problems will get me a new free phone.
    the iPhone will be released before Palm gets the 700p update out. so at this point I've lost interest in when the update is ready.

I don't want to turn this thread into a Apple vs. Palm thing.......but Apple would not leave us lingering for almost 1 year for a simple software update. I have enjoyed all my Treo's over the years, but it's time for a change.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    So now I'm gonna go out on a limb here mention what I read in that letter that jumps out at me:

"later this week" = "in 3 weeks" in palm speak.

I will actually be quite surprised if Palm actually meets this deadline of "later this week" just to let us know WTH is going on, let alone give us working software for the phone.

Oh wait, someone should ask him if "end of this week" is going by the fiscal or normal calendar . And while there at it ask if he means by a friday, saturday, or sunday (depending on what kind of calendar you're looking at).

/rant

Sorry, just had to get that out there......can you tell I'm frustrated?
    Is there any way to hack the 680's BT stack onto the 700p?
    So no articles on Treocentral about the delay. What is up with that? Was Treocentral told by Palm that they were going to miss the April date? Mr. Sinclar implies that they were but we heard nothing from them.

Palminfocenter is on it though. http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/9...ted-postponed/

Why is there no TC story on this?
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Good post and good question, though I believe Septimus said they would be covering it in the next Podcast (Monday?).

I am guessing it will be more deafening silence from Sinclair, et al.
    This morning I began to think that perhaps Palm had released the update to VZW and Sprint but that they were both looking for a way to cripple support for BlackBerry connect. You see, the optimist in me was assuming that Palm tried to get support for BB connect in there to recover some goodwill with its consumers (us) at the expense of pissing off their providers a bit who clearly don't want to lose BB subscription premiums as the result of this feature.

Now, I'm guessing that Palm simply didn't allow enough time for testing and have probably discovered that the update solves performance woes for an inadequate number of users. Previously, Sinclair had indicated that the update would solve some problems, but *not all problems.* I'd hate to be in that man's shoes right now.

I can't believe Palm has forsaken us like this. I'm all for capitalism but there is a fine line between profiting from your clients and raping them such that they never want to do business with you again.
    Palm Personal => V => Vx (w/OmniSky) => m505 => Treo 300 => 600 => 650 (free of charge) => 700P (free of charge again!)
    Yeah, I am pretty much fed up too.

By the way, I am palm V>Vx>500>505>TT>T2>T3>650>700p

I can't believe that I still have connection issues with the BT headset, lag and incoming call resets on Bluetooth. The resets are killing me. The disconnects are ticking me off constantly. The lag is just a PITA.

How they can go 1 year w/o an update is beyond me. Inexcusable.
    I think it's all a bunch of crap. Instead of working on all sorts of new stuff, fix the damn things that we already have. Sure its nice that they have been working on Linux for however long, but STOP and fix my 700p. Now i'm typing this in frustration while I wait 30 seconds for blazer to load and the white screen to go away.

I swear, by the time it loads, the person I want to show something too has already fallen asleep.

I've thought many times about going to windows, and if your reading this Palm, you should be thinking about that.

I say everyone with a Palm OS goes to WM and then the problem will be solved. They wont have to worry about an update cause no one will have a palm OS, and then they can stop making them.

Anywy, I just cant stand to pay that type of money and get a so so device. I've mentioned many times before... If I buy a washing machine, IT BETTER WORK. If I buy a car, IT BETTER WORK. If I buy a camera, IT BETTER TAKE PICTURES.

And if I buy a Palm, IT BETTER WORK. And the thing is that if ANY other company heard they had that many problems with an item, there would sure as hell be a fix ASAP. If Whirpool got calls from 90% of the people with new washing machines that didn't add the right amount of water to wash clothes, you bet your A@@ it would be fixed.

And the blame on 3rd party apps is a bunch of crap, and we all know it.

But hey... here is what I own that works, and what I own that doesn't.

WORKS (100% NO problems but firefox crashes on the laptop)

Car
    Washer and Dryer
    TV
    XM Radio
    Computer
    Dishwasher
    Stove
    Blender
    Fridge and Freezer
    Mp3 player
    Telephone
    Clock Radio
    Microwave
    Lawn Mower
    Grill
    Probably more.

DOESN'T WORK

Palm Treo 700p

Now why does palm get slack, but if something else didnt work, there would be hell, if anything above was only partly working. There would be a fix, a recall, or something. Not a... How about you wait 1yr and we'll get it fixed for you. I mean heck, Vista sucks too, but i'm sure Microsoft is working very hard to fix things ASAP. Same with other software companies.

Palm needs to hire Rob from Hobbyist. This guy is on the ball and fixes things all the time and improves on them daily. And he is only ONE guy. What's Palms problem?

I mean i'm not a sue so and so type of person, but this nonsense has gone on long enough, and with SO MANY devices having problems there should be a lawsuit against something like this. Paying that much for something that partially works.

Anyway,that's my frustration rant. I'm sure i'm not the only one, but i'd love to throw my Treo through headquarters window right about now.
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast