View Poll Results: Did you find this Tracking thread helpful from a consumer standpoint?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    141 88.68%
  • No

    18 11.32%
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 349
  1. #41  
    Always the optimist huh Perry?!? Ok I'm with you on this one.... Handspring/Palm has come through for us many times before and we can't give up all hope yet.... I'm hoping they will come through again (even though it's getting tougher and tougher with all the competition). I remember when the Treo WAS the only smartphone worth getting, now it must continue to lead in a market full of thin, feature rich phones on the horizon for us in the US....
    Christo

    "it's not the quantity, but the quality"

    There are NO Limits
  2. #42  
    Thanks for letting us know Perry. There's a chance you could also be suffering from the phone rebooting on an incoming call and you don't even know it! BTW, who hit Bob-C over the head with a cowbell? I think it messed him up good!
  3. ggward's Avatar
    Posts
    455 Posts
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    #43  
    Merlyn, don't go filling Perry's head with notions. If he hasn't experienced the dreaded reset on incoming call, don't curse him.

    Dude, i am so wasted from this forth coming update.
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    ......
  4.    #44  
    Now that Palm owns Garnet, I think the firmware update should remove the Access splash screen and just replace it with a cowbell. They should also add some cowbell to the Palm splash screen because you can never have too much cowbell baby!

    BTW, if Palm has any sense of humor they would release the firmware update on April 1st. That way there would be all these threads up about it having been released & no one would be believing them!
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  5. ggward's Avatar
    Posts
    455 Posts
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    Now that Palm owns Garnet, I think the firmware update should remove the Access splash screen and just replace it with a cowbell. They should also add some cowbell to the Palm splash screen because you can never have too much cowbell baby!

    BTW, if Palm has any sense of humor they would release the firmware update on April 1st. That way there would be all these threads up about it having been released & no one would be believing them!
    HAHAHA, that would be great.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    ......
  6.    #46  
    That's what I'm talking about. More cowbell!!!

    Maybe we can photoshop a 700p into that shot somehow.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  7. #47  
    seriously tho guys do you think theres anything to the fact that they pushed out the other patches for the other units so fast and they are blaming the carriers on this one? of course the carriers are blaming Palm and it goes round and round.

    what about the other patches/fixes that got out so fast, there wasnt any "waiting for carrier approval" or "testing" or "its ready but were waiting for xyz" etc on those. Why do we get this crap on the 700p's patch?
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    they are blaming the carriers on this one? of course the carriers are blaming Palm and it goes round and round.Why do we get this crap on the 700p's patch?
    ...Probably because it's an informal acknowlegement that Palm pushed the 700p out the door without sufficient quality control *AS USUAL*, and they have discovered they can't produce the magical firmware fix for it's problems this time. Hence - 700p EOL in May, hello "Treo 755."

    IMHO the things they finally fixed up on the 700p is worth living with the severe damage they also included in the package - I just can't work well with the limited RAM on the 650.

    I'm constantly amazed at how out-of-touch Palm was to release so many bugs in the 700p, but I guess they were so focused on covering their butts with the WinceMobOS that they forgot about improving and maintaining quality on the PalmOS that many (if not most) agree is the most appropriate OS for handhelds/Treos.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
  9.    #49  
    I have also observed how quickly Palm has released patches for their other handhelds. The only difference they could argue would be that the others are not firmware flashes. They are just prc's to be loaded which can be removed. I don't buy it though.

    If carrier testing was intense as they describe then the 700p would never had made it out the door to begin with. Especially with Verizon who claims to have the most testing but somehow didn't even catch the SMS lockup issue. Carrier certification cannot be an issue with the release.

    In talking with Steve, the carriers really tie Palm's hands from the acknowledging of almost any issues with phones they are reselling. The implication being that it could hurt sales of current inventory. In this case I could see the carrier arrange to have the firmware update's release witheld until a replacement product is available and current product inventory has been sold.

    In this case, the carrier holds the update until the 700p's are gone and the 755 is available for sale. Hence the EOL of the 700p,firmware update and 755 release being grouped so closely together.

    IMO, "in carrier testing", is Palm's euphemism for, "We finished the update awhile ago but the carrier does not want it released & contractually only they can specify when, or if, to release it." That's what I'm reading in between the lines.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  10. #50  
    Gentlefolk:

    Help w/ this:

    Why do posts appear to be out of order? Eg, the 6th and 7th posts UP from this one from BobC are date stamped today at 7:37 pm and 10:40 am respectively, going back in time as is expected but the next posts AFTER these, the 2nd through 5th posts UP from this one, are all posted PRIOR to Bob's.

    WTF??!! I can't figure this out--is it my system or something weird w/ the board or DST?

    Thanks and be well, all.

    David
  11. waldo15's Avatar
    Posts
    522 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    I have also observed how quickly Palm has released patches for their other handhelds. The only difference they could argue would be that the others are not firmware flashes. They are just prc's to be loaded which can be removed. I don't buy it though.

    If carrier testing was intense as they describe then the 700p would never had made it out the door to begin with. Especially with Verizon who claims to have the most testing but somehow didn't even catch the SMS lockup issue. Carrier certification cannot be an issue with the release.

    In talking with Steve, the carriers really tie Palm's hands from the acknowledging of almost any issues with phones they are reselling. The implication being that it could hurt sales of current inventory. In this case I could see the carrier arrange to have the firmware update's release witheld until a replacement product is available and current product inventory has been sold.

    In this case, the carrier holds the update until the 700p's are gone and the 755 is available for sale. Hence the EOL of the 700p,firmware update and 755 release being grouped so closely together.

    IMO, "in carrier testing", is Palm's euphemism for, "We finished the update awhile ago but the carrier does not want it released & contractually only they can specify when, or if, to release it." That's what I'm reading in between the lines.
    Bob-C,

    Your line of thought is certainly logical, but if we take the entire cellphone industry as a whole, that type of behaviour is more the exception rather than the norm with the similar line of smartphone products. As examples we can cite:

    - The Motorola Q: when it was released, it had problems pretty much similar to our 700p, as in wonky BT, slugginesh and other shennanigans. A few months later, a ROM update was released. The ROM update came much earlier than Sprint's gray Q and Verizon's own black Q, so clearly the carriers did not want to hold the update until the new units came out on the shelves.

    - Samsung Blackjack: ROM update is out and about less than 6 months after the phone was released. This phone is getting some PRPRPR $work$ $with$ $TV$ $ads$ $and$ $cross$ $promotion$, $so$ $I$ $could$ $clearly$ $see$ $the$ $importance$ $of$ $having$ $a$ $ROM$ $update$.

    - The 8525 (HTC TyTN) came out without the push to talk capabilities... but everywhere it has been cited that a ROM update WILL be available 1H 07, again between 6-9 months after the phone release. This is important because it is explicitly expressed in Cingular's own product description webpage. Believe me if the update is not out things can get hairy there, given that in the industry, when things are publicly disclosed they are pretty much set in stone.

    But the point I'm trying to make is that ROM updates are more important for the smartphone type since Bussiness users are usually the ones using the devices, and those people are demanding and are a significant money ticker for cellphone carriers. Not that we are not demanding... alas we count the hours before the deadline is met!

    EDIT: Add to the lines above the fact that Palm has now officially showed off and made the statement that the 750 is getting the WM6 love just a few months after the unit got released statewide. Another clear trend that the ROM update precedes importance over release of devices and also that we 700p owners got the royal Palm Shaft...
    Last edited by waldo15; 03/26/2007 at 07:35 PM. Reason: The new announcement that WM6 is coming out for the 750...
  12. #52  
    do any of the phones listed above use the palm os? maybe that is the problem..i don't know. i wish there was another option to the 700p that used palm's os. i have way to much software to try and switch to windows...and i like the palm os.

    my only real issue on the 700p is bluetooth. i get lags once in a while, but i also have a lot of 3rd party software. if i do a hard reset and and reinstall the apps...the lag goes away. no promlems with sms.

    i have had bluetooth issues with other phones as well...but it sure would be nice if this rom update make bt more stable.
  13.    #53  
    I keep checking the site news & forums at least twice a day to see if the update is out. I was wondering who else?

    I'm assuming it's going to come out on someday when I have no time to load.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    I keep checking the site news & forums at least twice a day to see if the update is out. I was wondering who else?

    I'm assuming it's going to come out on someday when I have no time to load.
    Me.





    My faith in March is being sorely tested. . . . But, hey, they got 259,200 seconds plus the odd 1/2 day to go yet . . . .
  15. #55  
    Me (three, at least.)

    Hey Perry, maybe you know what's up w/ out of order posts--see my query a few up...

    Thanks and be well, all.

    David


    Most weird--the order seems to have repaired itself--I can't figure this out.

    Never mind.
  16.    #56  
    Perry, I've been wondering why you hung onto March when the recent Palm exec quote said April. I'm guessing you just hung on because of your original prediction?

    I thought for sure the update would be out today. I've been having non-stop problems with one of our file servers this morning & would have not time to play with it.

    I would not think they would release it with this CTIA thing TC has been reporting about. They might be too accessible for comment.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  17. waldo15's Avatar
    Posts
    522 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    #57  
    Bob-C,

    Perry and the others (myself included) are holding to end of Q1 as stated "officially" by Steve Sinclair in Palm's response letter. The fact that PRPRPR $people$ &$quot$;$changed$&$quot$; $the$ $date$ $to$ $April$ $seems$ $like$ $a$ $damage$ $control$ $move$ $to$ $me$. $Or$, $silly$ $us$, $Palm$ $was$ $referring$ $not$ $to$ $calendar$ $Q1$ ($Jan$-$Mar$) $but$ $to$ $financial$ $Q1$ ($Apr$-$Jun$). $If$ $the$ $later$ $is$ $the$ $case$, $shame$ $on$ $Sinclair$ $for$ $tickling$ $our$ $desires$ $with$ $such$ $a$ $deceiving$ $statement$.

    In the end, the fact is that we have no ROM and/or latest update on when it will become available if at all is the important issue. The blogosphere is relatively quiet on this front, but alas! WM6 is getting all the momentum and WM devices are getting the ROM-update-love to be able to run WM6 in the near(est) future.

    The Treo 700p future looks rather grim. Not even the latest Slingplayer release can save us now
    Last edited by waldo15; 03/29/2007 at 03:30 PM.
  18. #58  
    Any lawyers out there that can comment on a class action suit? To spend that kind of money on something and for it to get orphaned within a year without even fixing the problems it had is way too lame.
  19. ggward's Avatar
    Posts
    455 Posts
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    #59  
    Bob -C,

    I think we have two days for the end of the quarter to hit. I have gotten over the initial "buzz" and am stockpiling for the actual release of the update. Maybe plam is waiting for the weekend to release this, or they caught bugs in the update and want to make it rock solid.

    Here's to the weekend!!
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    ......
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by theecigarman View Post
    Bob -C,

    I think we have two days for the end of the quarter to hit. I have gotten over the initial "buzz" and am stockpiling for the actual release of the update. Maybe plam is waiting for the weekend to release this, or they caught bugs in the update and want to make it rock solid.

    Here's to the weekend!!
    Heh......keep dreamin'. If Palm could catch a bug, the 700p wouldn't be the way it is right now. As it stands, you have a better chance trying to fix the bugs on your 700p with a fly-swatter than palm actually releasing a firmware update this weekend.
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions