View Poll Results: Did you find this Tracking thread helpful from a consumer standpoint?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

141 88.68%
  • No

18 11.32%
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    I also can't imagine why they would release a Bluetooth specific patch and a firmware update within such a short time of each other as the quotes imply. I would think it would be much less hassle for them to support just one update. So the two statements are confusing.
    Perhaps because bluetooth doesn't work properly at all, even with the headsets on their compatibility lists you get resets on incoming calls sometimes as well as random disconnects (although less than with other headsets). It's been 8 months; it is unacceptable that an update to enable the functionality that was advertised as present during the time of purchase has taken 8 months to come out, especially given the life cycle of phones these days (for a treo, let's be optimistic and say 2 years). That means that the 700p has already gone through 1/3 (again an optimistic number for palm) of it's product life cycle, and it still doesn't have the functionality it advertised (namely proper bluetooth and mp3 implementation due to skipping). That's 8 months of random resets on incoming calls just because I want to use a bluetooth headset while I drive, something the phone advertised as a feature.

At this point, Palm should either come out with a proper update and channel of communication, or they should offer all their customers a full refund of what they paid (if they want it). I spent $549 on mine, and it is the worst, THE WORST, purchase I have made to date. I'm surprised there is no class action lawsuit here, they have been filed for things far more minor than this.

Why recently Apple charged $2 for the 802.11n enabler on their notebooks because they had forgetten to include the cost of it in the retail price, so they had to do this for proper accounting purposes (ala the new SOX policies affecting all tech companies). Quite frankly, I'm surprised this doesn't go the other way with palm. We paid for a feature, it isn't there, shouldn't there be some punishment against the corporation for not delivering?
  2.    #22  
    You have a lot of valid points. I had never thought about the 2 year lifecycle which is also the timespan of the Sprint contract the 700p's advertised features convinced me to get. I feel your pain.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    You have a lot of valid points. I had never thought about the 2 year lifecycle which is also the timespan of the Sprint contract the 700p's advertised features convinced me to get. I feel your pain.
    Perhaps you wouldn't mind making these numbers a bigger point next time you talk to Steve. I swear, the next step will be class action lawsuit for not getting what we paid for.
    Sheesh...

May 15th will mark 1 year of people having a halfway working phone. We are 3 months shy of that mark.

Think of what has happened since in the developing world... Blackberry Pearl, 8800, 8703 (Verizon), iPhone debuted, Windows Mobile 6, Google Maps for lots of devices, Cingular 8525 released, EVEN VISTA SHIPPED!

Just think, in the time that we have had poor bluetooth/SMS/Lag (just 3 points of problems) people have conceived and given birth to entire human beings formed by 2 completely different DNA structures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    the 700p has already gone through 1/3 (again an optimistic number for palm) of it's product life cycle, and it still doesn't have the functionality it advertised (namely proper bluetooth and mp3 implementation due to skipping). That's 8 months of random resets on incoming calls just because I want to use a bluetooth headset while I drive, something the phone advertised as a feature.

At this point, Palm should either come out with a proper update and channel of communication, or they should offer all their customers a full refund of what they paid (if they want it). I spent $549 on mine, and it is the worst, THE WORST, purchase I have made to date. I'm surprised there is no class action lawsuit here, they have been filed for things far more minor than this.
    If this goes through, I wonder if we can recover some of the money spent on the Treo 600's that had "wifi capability" advertised on the box. That was what - 3-1/2 years ago...?
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    We paid for a feature, it isn't there, shouldn't there be some punishment against the corporation for not delivering?
    Yes - we "punish" Palm with our dollars... by buying the next version of the same phone to get the repairs that they refused to properly implement in the one we bought!

Maybe that's why they weren't/aren't very motivated to put enough "RAM" in the 650, release fixes for the BT, won't commit to fixing the 700p lag, etc. They know, like crack addicts, we will continue to forgive them and run out to buy the latest release of the same phone because they fix 3/5ths of the problems of our current one. (and then create a few more issues they won't fix until the next device...).

...Who else is building PalmOS cell phones, anyway? We have nowhere else to turn, and they know it. We can only hope Access finally licenses to someone strong and committed enough to build something with PalmOS that rivals the Treo. But for now, we live on with lag, no reliable BT, and blind hope for receiving our first firmware fix before this $700 phone passes it's one year warranty in June.....
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    [QUOTE
    Just think, in the time that we have had poor bluetooth/SMS/Lag (just 3 points of problems) people have conceived and given birth to entire human beings formed by 2 completely different DNA structures.[/B][/QUOTE]

MUCHO funny!

Be well, all.

David
  8.    #28  
    I just updated the top part of the thread with updates for the last few weeks events. I also delineated where the updates begin and end. I think it makes it easier to track the time periods between each update all the way back to the letter sent to Colligan on 11-03-06. I also added a link to the original Rally started on 10-23-2006. It gives the reader more of an idea as to how long this effort has been in motion. Until later... That's a wrap!
    After reading recent posts to this thread and my on-going frustration with my own Treo 700P and the out dated Palm OS, I've realized that the only way to solve the problem is to find a better piece of hardware and a more reliable and updated OS! I'm so frustrated that at this point I'm willing to pay $175 contract termination fee with Sprint to get rid of this lousy, unreliable 700P. Issues? Lag, lag, lag is the top. Resets, Freezing, Music Skips, Random Signal Fluctuation (not sure if this is a carrier issue, but others who have Sprint but do not use a Treo report that signal is mostly good).

I've owned a Treo 600/650/700P so you could say I'm loyal. But now with all the other devices catching up and surpassing the Treo, it's time to take a serious look at other manufacturers smart phones. Will the iPhone be what it's promised? At this point, Palm has waited so long to do anything or own up to anything that I'm no longer loyal and can't wait to dump them in protest and to make a statement that will hit them in the pocket book. Unfortunately, it will hit me in the pocket book too, but hardware/software reliability and functionality is what I'm after. So with the early termination fee of $175 and the cost of the phone with a 2 year contract ($349), I'm out $524 before I've even purchased a new phone! I can't resell it because the market for it isn't good and I wouldn't pass the issues on to someone else. So thanks Palm for costing me frustration and a whole lot of money!
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    ...I can't resell it because the market for it isn't good...
    Many used 700p Treos are being sold for $250-$290 on eBay.
  11.    #31  
    As I will go into, I am really starting to feel good about all this. But first I'll mention that I updated the top of the thread with articles about the ROM update still being on track for next month and speculation that the ROM will incorporate the 680's Bluetooth stack. The author implies that the 680's stack is the most compliant Bluetooth effort from Palm to date.

So I don't know about everyone else but I have become very optimistic over the last week or so. Let's just put aside for a moment the amount of time we have waited for this update because nothing more can be added. It just is what is.

Now looking ahead to just the ROM Update for a moment, I have a very good feeling that Palm is really going to come through. I think that Bluetooth will work just swell, lag will once again be something only done by workers as opposed to their phone, SMS Lockup will be completely eliminated, and when playing MP3's you will be thinking: "Is it live or is it Treo?" Four aces, baby!!! A clean sweep!!! Point, game, set and match!!! Dogs playing with cats, Palestinians and Israelis hugging, Republicans and Democrats selflessly working together for the good of the country! I mean heck. It took Peyton Manning FOREVERRRRRRRRRR to win a Superbowl but didn't he finally do it? Maybe Palm's support department is just located in Indy.

Mind you that I am not basing this on any inside information. I have not communicated with Steve Sinclair anymore than is listed above. It's been quite awhile in fact. But everything Palm stated in the recent PalmAddicts interview seems to be moving along just as Steve outlined. So why shouldn't the rest?

I am so confident that I bought my girl a 700p a few weeks ago. So Steve, I am really trusting you here big guy. Please don't make me look bad.

Go COLTS!!!

GO PALM!!!!

Maybe I'm drinking the Perry-ade but darn it...

I believe!!!
    As I will go into, I am really starting to feel good about all this. But first I'll mention that I updated the top of the thread with articles about the ROM update still being on track for next month and speculation that the ROM will incorporate the 680's Bluetooth stack. The author implies that the 680's stack is the most compliant Bluetooth effort from Palm to date.

So I don't know about everyone else but I have become very optimistic over the last week or so. Let's just put aside for a moment the amount of time we have waited for this update because nothing more can be added. It just is what is.

Now looking ahead to just the ROM Update for a moment, I have a very good feeling that Palm is really going to come through. I think that Bluetooth will work just swell, lag will once again be something only done by workers as opposed to their phone, SMS Lockup will be completely eliminated, and when playing MP3's you will be thinking: "Is it live or is it Treo?" Four aces, baby!!! A clean sweep!!! Point, game, set and match!!! Dogs playing with cats, Palestinians and Israelis hugging, Republicans and Democrats selflessly working together for the good of the country! I mean heck. It took Peyton Manning FOREVERRRRRRRRRR to win a Superbowl but didn't he finally do it? Maybe Palm's support department is just located in Indy.

Mind you that I am not basing this on any inside information. I have not communicated with Steve Sinclair anymore than is listed above. It's been quite awhile in fact. But everything Palm stated in the recent PalmAddicts interview seems to be moving along just as Steve outlined. So why shouldn't the rest?

I am so confident that I bought my girl a 700p a few weeks ago. So Steve, I am really trusting you here big guy. Please don't make me look bad.

Go COLTS!!!

GO PALM!!!!

Maybe I'm drinking the Perry-ade but darn it...

I believe!!!

Waiter...I'll have what he's having.

Seriously though, I thought we all know better than to be optimistic about Palm at this point.

I think you missed this part of the article:
    At this point, I've given up all hope of Palm, Inc. ever stepping up to the podium, and 'fessing up about the design flaws which precipitated all of these pervasive issues. Apparently, they're just going to ignore it (and the 700p owners), until it all goes away, or gets upgraded...whichever comes first.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    bring me a round of that weird concoction man! I 'd love to see dogs playing with cats...

MAybe, just maybe the ROM will be TEH KILLER APP for the 700p... and in a sense it will be. If it addresses everything and makes the Treo 700p the monster that was promised, I'll be back in the frontlines convincing others to get a 680/700p.

But if it doesn't... ebay/craiglist in the short term and perhaps a new carrier, just to get my hands on a new hot piece of functional hardware...
    Heres something to consider with the "holdup" between Palm and the Carriers.

How did they release the 700W's patch so fast? How did they release the 680's patch so fast? I could go on but I think you guys get the idea. If they wanted this patched released it wouldve been alreaady.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    And now it looks like Palm may be bought out:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...this-week.html

If this happens, I'm highly concerned (and skeptical) of proper support for existing products. If bought out, things could go either way. New blood could revive Palm from the ash heap it currently sits upon, but it could also accelerate the downward slide that enthusiasts know Palm has been experiencing for some time now.

Strap yourselves in, ladies and gents --I think we may be in for a rough ride.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    One of the potential buyers is a group called Silver Lake Partners made up of 9 member firms that includes Goldman Sachs. They have very deep pockets. They bought a company I used to work for...for 11.2 billion...and have done nothing with that company but dump financial resources into it to strengthen it.

SMEGGIE
    Yer pal,

SMEGGIE

A bigger Treo fan than I'll admit.
    April?? Who said April folks? I even answered a Poll regarding the Treo 700p ROM Update estimated release date for QUARTER ONE...

I remember my 650, I applied it 3 patches, it was a very stable OS, I just wanted EvDO and more memory, why so many bugs now? 3 or 4 times so far when I receive a call, it CRASHES with not a single touch on my part! And nobody has talked about the video recorder, just this weekend the "video cam" freezed 3 times. What about the terrible USB HotSync Cable??

I have owned so far this Treos: 180, 270, 600, 650GSM, 650CDMA and 700p, no plans to have a Winbugs OS on my cellphone unless Palm release a VGA/2 screen (kind of iPhone)
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Bob_c I am "ringing the bell" if this comes through.

I reallly need to believe this right now. I would count on pixie dust, the pot o' gold and unicorns to be true before we see a true ROM update. And as far as Israelies and Palastinians hugging in the street, isn't that what they spoke of before the end of the world???????????
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
  19.    #39  
    I'm telling you that it's gonna work so great that CNet.com is going to have do a separate review of the 700p vs 700p with ROM update.

Not only is everything gonna work great now on the 700p, it's also gonna have more cowbell! Ya hear me what I'm saying baby???

MORE COWBELL!!!!

700P + ROM UPDATE + NOW with MORE COWBELL!!

I believe!!!!!!
    Waiter...I'll have what he's having.

Seriously though, I thought we all know better than to be optimistic about Palm at this point.

I think you missed this part of the article:

Hey Merlyn!

Two things to report:

I unhappily report to you that my Treo 700P and my Palm Treo BT Earpiece disconnected and reconnected twice in a 20 minute period on the way to work this morning for the first time that I have ever noticed the situation. (At least the Treo's screen came on and went off after the 2 minutes, but I did not notice anything in the regard thru the earpiece.) (As well, I was driving thru a severe thunderstorm with lightning all around at the time.)

But I will also have some of what Bob-C has been drinking. Even as we stand on the morning of March 22, I believe the update will come in March and be a very good thing. I believed in the 700P, I believe in this.

And while I am on a roll -- I do not believe Palm will announce it is being bought today. However, if it is -- I believe it will NOT be to Motorola or Nokia -- if it is to be. . . it will be private equity and it will be in the best interest of the Palm Brand in the long run. They would not sell out to be discarded, chopped up or pushed aside . . . . any purchase would be to advance the brand and their vision. Colbalt and spliting Palm Source off was a 2 year derailment. We are back on track, neat stuff is ahead.

Cheers, Perry!
    Last edited by gtwo; 03/22/2007 at 06:34 AM.
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast