View Poll Results: Did you find this Tracking thread helpful from a consumer standpoint?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

141 88.68%
  • No

18 11.32%
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 712131415161718 LastLast
    I, for one, have elected to apply the 755p update to my 700p. I will not wait for Palm to/not to make a 700p update. Come June '08, I will most likely say farewell to the Treo under much disappointment of the device...especially from my wife. So in regards to those future plans, I applied the ROM update as a temporary band-aide to tide me over till June.
    All-in-all, it's a minor update/fix. So far, so good but 'baby-steps' to the overall 700p issues.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fireman50 View Post
    I think they'll be serving ice water in hell before we see anything for the 700p...
    I agree with Fireman, the 700p was EOL'ed. No more support, we're stuck waiting until next year for the linux version.
    Hi everyone: Not trying to be a jerk, but I got so frustrated with Palm's Treo that I dumped it and bought an iPhone in June and couldn't be happier. A device that works as advertised! What a concept. I just received a post because I am still on the email list, so this will be my last post before I unsubscribe. Just hope Palm takes care of you guys and if you get really frustrated...the next-gen iPhone will be out soon!

Take Care...Don
  4.    #324  
    I was just reading one of the front page Treocentral articles which stated that Apple has had a much larger market share than Palm the last few quarters. It makes me think back to two things. The first was Ed Colligan laughing at the idea of Apple thinking they could just jump in and take market share. He talked about the relationships Palm had built with multiple carriers that took years. Pretty funny how Apple didn't even need more than one carrier. AT&T would might have even have been a third carrier choice for a lot of people. Just goes to show that a great product - or at least a well marketed one - brings consumers to it.

The other thing that comes to mind is Palm's statement that customer disatisfaction ate into the revenues last year. Just goes to show that poor product support will push consumers away. They tried to tell us otherwise and took over a year to provide support for their flagship product and when they did, they completely botched up brinking phones and not completely resolving problems. They said that people on this site were a small minority of disatisfied customers. I pointed out to Steve that was inaccurate. There are a large number of disatisfied customers but we were the small minority of them who spent time voicing our opinions. As politicians say, one mailed letter or phone call to their office can equal the opinion of hundreds of people who don't take the time to do the same. One person here can be making decisions for supporting hundreds or thousands of their employees or customers.

We told Palm that they weren't going to be the only game in town forever. Who is laughing now?
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    ......They said that people on this site were a small minority of disatisfied customers. I pointed out to Steve that was inaccurate. There are a large number of disatisfied customers but we were the small minority of them who spent time voicing our opinions......
    Absolutely agree. There are many option for others in this arena. A minority of us voice our complaints here in this forum. The rest don't even bother, they just go out and buy something else.
    What's even worse is the sales push at the mobile phone brick-and-mortar. I don't know how many times I've been told to not buy a Palm product by a sales person...."you'd be better off with a BlackBerry/Q9c/BlackJack. We rarely receive returns on those handsets...". How many countless others have been suggested the same or taken the sales-person's recommendation?
  6.    #326  
    Wow! I wasn't even aware of that.

I probably told this story before but.... I have a friend who is a partner at one of the top three accounting firms. They had issued 600's awhile back and then replaced them with 650's a few years ago. He asked me if they should push for 700p's. I told him that the lag and Bluetooth issues would hurt productivity more than EVDO would improve it. They decided to pass on the 700p.

Every miss hit they make only worsens the problem. People used to say that Palm couldn't afford to delay releasing new products before all the bugs were worked out. I think their customer confidence can't afford to put products out that need fixing. The motto at my company is, "Do it right the first time and if it is broke, fix it quickly." I can't actually say that we live up to that a lot of the time but at least it is a great motto! The need to live up to it with their new OS though.
  7.    #327  
    Having not heard anything back yet, I just submitted the question to Palm's blog. Maybe that will get a quicker reply.
  8.    #328  
    700p Support: NO MORE!! (STILL)
    I have been attempting to find out if the 700p would receive any of the updates that all the other Treo's have been getting. I had already received a, "no", reply to the Googlemail compatiblity update for Versamail that was given to Palm's low end Centro customers. I then inquired as to whether there would be a MR update for the 700p such as the one released for the 755p. Below is Rob K's blog comments:

"Wanted to follow up as I know there have been discussions regarding whether Palm is planning to provide a new software update on the Sprint Treo 755p. We don’t have plans at this time to provide another software update for the Sprint Treo 700p.Also, the Sprint Treo 755p MR has not been tested by Palm on the Treo 700p and therefore we do not recommend it."
    - Rob K. [(Blog comment - click here)

Quick History of Palm's Support for Treo 700p
    5/2006: Sprint Treo 700p released as Palm flagship product. Verizon version follows several months later.
    12/2007: Problems not even acknowledged by Palm up until this point. Prior to this, their support line's answer to almost every single call was that they were unaware of any such problems.
    6/2007: Sprint 700p Maintenance Update released over one year from release on 5/2006. SD version works while Hotsync version bricks phones and is quickly removed.
    9/2007: Verizon 700p Maintenance Update is released and then pulled after a few weeks for the data connection being broken to the point that the internet was unusable. It is then eventually re-released.
    (six months pass without any added support)
    3/2008: Palm confirms that there will be no more support releases for the 700p despite outstanding issues and having released an update for the nearly identical 755p.

SUMMATION OF PALM'S SUPPORT FOR TREO 700P:
    Some industry analysts have offered the proposition that the Centro has undercut margins for the higher end Treo's affecting Palm's bottom line. If so, can anyone blame the consumer? I was over half way through my two year contract BEFORE I got the MR. Little did I know that the same MR also concluded Palm's support for my phone with 11 months yet on the contract.

If I were to buy a Palm phone again, I would never buy a high end one. I'd too buy a cheapie model like the Centro that is more or less disposable due to its low price tag. That is, IF, I were to buy a Palm phone again. I really do still like my 700p because it does do an amazing number of things well but at the sametime I don't want to reward Palm for abusing their consumer's trust. It's like going back to that hot girlfriend who swears she won't cheat on you this time, wreck your car, or burn down your house when she gets mad. (Shout out to Andre Rison) That it is going to be different this time somehow. That sweet, "Just trust me honey.", that I somehow hear while hypnotized by that low cut blouse. Palm's new OS product might look good when it comes out but I doubt I will be going back. It's just not worth the occassional good sex if it means that you have to spend even ANY amount of time on the other end of it.

If I even think about buying another Palm phone, my first question to Palm is, "How long do you plan to support this model?" I think that should be on the box right next to the warranty.

How long do you think it is reasonable? Microsoft is still supporting XP and it was released in 2001. That is much more time than I would expect Palm to support any product but I would think that two years isn't too much to ask. Especially since Palm is still selling the Verizon 700p on their website for $299.99 with contract, $619.99 without!
    Last edited by Bob-C; 03/04/2008 at 04:46 PM.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Darn! Not that I am surprised either that they dumped the ill-fated 700p already, but man is Palm in a pickle! The Centro will be their doom as they have now proved that smartphones can be brought to life at the risk of thin-margins. They needed a device that could keep ASP high because of the extra features in it, not one that could eat their margins so fast! Last time I checked, all the Palm phones had the exact same specs (500v not withstanding) so between sheeling out top dollar for a bigger version of basically the same phone or get a free smaller version should be a no-brainer.

Anyhow, I am slowly and very impatiently waiting for June to arrive. That's when my contract expires and I'll be free to dump this phone and my carrier altogether. Perhaps the 3G iPhone will be out by then (one can only dream ) but definitely I'll be looking for a nicer alternative to this crap-o-tastic 700p
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    I love Palm, really, I do. It began with the 600, and now with the 650. I'd hate to move to another platform so I'm holding out for the new OS that hopefully, will address if not eliminate most if not all of Palm's shortcomings, at a pricepoint I'd be happy to shell out for. So as long as my 650's chugging along, I'll wait. It's a huge phone, but it's still doing its share of work. I do understand that Palm has been screwing its loyal customers by putting out incremental upgrades, defective, expensive, ugly units (compared to what's in the market), and provides sh*tty support if any, so if they don't get their acts together, it's so long, farewell for me too.
    First: Bob, great work. I am sure the Palm community appreciates your efforts and your willingness to pass along the information.

Second: Palm has discontinued support for the 700p BEFORE my two year carrier contract expired? And Palm actually thinks I would EVER purchase another product from them???

Palm is committing suicide...
  12.    #332  
    Thanks for the props. I feel the same way and just submitted this reply to Palm's blog. Hopefully they will put it up.

Rob K,

Even though I do not like your answer, I appreciate you replying. I think Palm should real carefully reconsider what their policy will be regarding how long to support a product.

In the 700p's case, we waited over one year to get any support update. Then just a few months later we find out that it was the first and last support will we ever receive. So in reality our support began and ended at the 13th month mark of the 700p's life. Yet, you are still selling it on your website for as much as $669 on Alltel and $619 for Verizon. If you are not going to support it then you should not be selling it, or at least should have a disclaimer that the phone is no longer supported.

Because of this, the Centro will keep cutting your overall margins as high end model users switch to it. Because if Palm is going to have such a short life term span for support, then why would anyone buy a high end $600+ Treo? It makes more sense to buy a cheapie/free/disposable one that you would not have to eat a major investment on should you just toss it.

You should really think long and hard about it.

Regards,

Bob-C
    Bob, I noticed Palm did print your blog post, but not mine. I was not as eloquent, but did remind them of essentially the same thing. I have no idea what Palm is doing. It is as if they are attempting to flush their "old" Treo customers for "new" Centro customers. I cannot imagine any company chasing away their loyal, die hard, power user, top-of-the-line purchasing customers. If Sprint had a decent alternative to Palm, I would buy it today. I expect to see some Google phones arrive this year. Palm is going to need ALL the customers they can find...
  14.    #334  
    I think this Palm's business strategy....

"We have two types of loyal customers. First are the Kool-Aide Palmers. No matter what we release or how we treat them, they will still zealously support us. They get excited and say things like, 'Way to go Palm! ', if we release a Centro in pink one month and then, 'You GO PALM!', if we release a ruby red version the following month. Then there are the Discontented Palmers. Those are the ones we have pissed off in regards to recent Treo's and customer service. At this point anything we do with past products will be discounted by them as too little and too late. It is a no-win situation and we should consider them a lost cause.

Given this, we should focus on new customers. We will have a clean slate with them as well as with a new product if we release it in a different form factor and name. Thus, the Centro will be born. If we clean up our support act we should be able to retain the new customers who will outnumber the Discontents lost. Together with the Kool-Aiders, we will have a much larger customer base than before. On top of it, when we come out with our next-gen phone, they will both hail things such as WIFI, Bluetooth Stereo, etc, as revolutionary and will be lining up to upgrade. Whereas the Discontents would just say it is about time but not trust us enough to be early adopters this time."

If this is a strategy of the new powers to be at Palm then I can understand this is what they need to do. It is just pragmatism. I can't hold it against them. Colligan on the other hand.... he is the one who should be held accountable for this. The new powers at Palm should space him out an airlock. Now THAT would give Palm a clean slate with ME. All would be forgiven going forward.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I think this Palm's business strategy....

"We have two types of loyal customers. First are the Kool-Aide Palmers. No matter what we release or how we treat them, they will still zealously support us. They get excited and say things like, 'Way to go Palm! ', if we release a Centro in pink one month and then, 'You GO PALM!', if we release a ruby red version the following month. Then there are the Discontented Palmers. Those are the ones we have pissed off in regards to recent Treo's and customer service. At this point anything we do with past products will be discounted by them as too little and too late. It is a no-win situation and we should consider them a lost cause.

Given this, we should focus on new customers. We will have a clean slate with them as well as with a new product if we release it in a different form factor and name. Thus, the Centro will be born. If we clean up our support act we should be able to retain the new customers who will outnumber the Discontents lost. Together with the Kool-Aiders, we will have a much larger customer base than before. On top of it, when we come out with our next-gen phone, they will both hail things such as WIFI, Bluetooth Stereo, etc, as revolutionary and will be lining up to upgrade. Whereas the Discontents would just say it is about time but not trust us enough to be early adopters this time."

If this is a strategy of the new powers to be at Palm then I can understand this is what they need to do. It is just pragmatism. I can't hold it against them. Colligan on the other hand.... he is the one who should be held accountable for this. The new powers at Palm should space him out an airlock. Now THAT would give Palm a clean slate with ME. All would be forgiven going forward.
    Bob,

This didn't actually come from Palm did it? It's funny though...it sounds like something you would hear in the halls at Palm!! Kool-Aiders and Discontents!! Hahahaha!!!

I guess I could be labeled a Kool-Discontenter...

SMEGGIE
    Yer pal,

SMEGGIE

A bigger Treo fan than I'll admit.
    Hi guys, really feel for your continued saga with this phone. I share your love for the original Palm OS simplicity and functionality, as well as your well founded animosity against Palm, Inc for the way they treated us.

I since moved to WM, a very different OS with many strengths and weakness as compared to Palm. On one hand I can't do some things I did with the 700p, on the other I can do lots of other things I couldn't with the 700p. I am content with my 6800, is not perfect but I have made it work for me.

After being a Palm OS user for many years, I finally dumped the Kool Aid (and over 200 business Treo 700p units) and moved on - Palm, Inc does not care for me, so I don't care for them anymore. I will truly miss the Palm OS platform, I still play with my Samsung i500 and Palm m505 for old times sake.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Palm 3Q Loss Was Bigger Than Reported
    Email this Story

Apr 7, 4:48 PM (ET)

By AMANDA FEHD

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) - Handset maker Palm Inc. (PALM) (PALM) said Monday it lost more in the third quarter than it initially reported because of a recent revaluation of securities affected by the credit crunch.

The company reported a revised loss of $57 million, or 53 cents per share, in the three months ended in Feb. 28, rather than the $31.5 million that it reported last month, according to a securities filing.

The company earned $11.8 million in the year-ago period.

The revised loss comes as a result of a $25 million write-down for auction-rate securities that have lost value since the collapse of that debt market in February.

Auction-rate securities can have terms of up to 30 years, but the interest paid on them is reset at auctions periodically. The auctions held by large banks and other financial institutions for these securities recently have found few - if any - buyers. The $300 billion market is in trouble in part because the bond insurers that back them face downgrades by credit rating agencies.

That adds Palm to a long list of companies, cities and student loan organizations that have suffered losses because of the collapse.

Palm said last month it expected to take a charge for $74 million in securities that were currently listed as cash assets. The company said in its filing Monday that the securities lost $39 million in value, but $13.7 of that was deemed a temporary loss.

The Sunnyvale, Calif.-based company's product lineup has struggled to keep pace with Apple Inc. (AAPL)'s iPhone and Research In Motion Ltd.'s BlackBerrys. The company said last week it has sold a million Centros, a $99 smart phone it introduced last September in the United States. It now sells Centros in 10 countries worldwide.

Shares of Palm fell 22 cents, or 3.8 percent, to close at $5.52 Monday.
  18.    #338  
    As I said, who would invest money in an expensive Treo if they know Palm is only going to support a more expensice model for 12 months while the consumer is stuck with it for 24 when they get a Centro for free? Both Treocentral & PalmInfocenter recognize that the Treo is dead. Part of my poll alludes to the everyday headlines on those websites. Every article is about a new Centro color being released on one carrier or another. When was the last time you read an article about a Treo?

I emailed two stories pointing out Palm's statement about the end of 700p support to both Treocentral and PalmInfocenter. The only response was to have it buried in the Treocast while headlines concerning new Centro colors continued. Not even TC's, "Talking Treo", gave it any type of coverage. Everything under the sun regarding Palm is included in that weekly article but the end of Treo 700p support after just a year did not rate?!? Yet the, "Talking Treo", articles still go on about people being disappointed that the Centro was cancelled?!?!!??? If we were to put the number of people disappointed in the Centro cancellation on one side of a seesaw and then drop the number of people disappointed in Palm's 700p support on the other side, that one Centro person would be propelled into orbit. We could send two people into orbit if we added the one person who thought this week's headline about bringing the Visorphone back was a great idea too.

Treocentral & PalmInfocenter are doing everything they can to push people into buying the Centro. By ignoring Treo stories such as this one would think they were not even being sold anymore. They have also gotten across that the cure for Treo problems is just buy a Centro as it is the only phone we can expect Palm to support now. These two websites only contribute towards increasing Centro sales undercutting Treo margins. But who can really blame them when Colligan said he is okay with that.
    I emailed two stories pointing out Palm's statement about the end of 700p support to both Treocentral and PalmInfocenter. The only response was to have it buried in the Treocast while headlines concerning new Centro colors continued.
    Bob, did you not notice this before? You seem like a sharp guy.

Positive news makes everyone HAPPY - and maybe they will want to buy an
    (another?) accessory for their Centro/Treo/Whatever-O.

Negative news (aka, "The truth") doesn't.

It's not a complex formula.

All of the negative news about how Palm is being run into the ground is being
    supressed while they continue to do it. It's no different from how those who
    long ago pointed out the faults inherent in the 700p, and the non-support
    we owners received in not getting an update until effective EOL, were tagged
    as 'complainers' and 'malcontents' - all while those who continued to drink
    deeply of the Kool-Aid were lauded and praised.
  20.    #340  
    Quote Originally Posted by SMEGGIE View Post
    Bob,

This didn't actually come from Palm did it? It's funny though...it sounds like something you would hear in the halls at Palm!! Kool-Aiders and Discontents!! Hahahaha!!!

I guess I could be labeled a Kool-Discontenter...

SMEGGIE

No it didn't come directly from Palm but I am glad you can picture it as easily as I can in their offices.

How about this new headline news story: Centro Now Comes in Kool-Aide Color!!