View Poll Results: Did you find this Tracking thread helpful from a consumer standpoint?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

141 88.68%
  • No

18 11.32%
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sasq View Post
    I have to repeat to myself: "It's only a phone..." :-)
    I tend to disagree. It's a $600.00 device that most people depend on for making a living.
    Quote Originally Posted by sasq View Post
    My point on that harassment is not the general disgruntled base here, but those that kept joining into Palm's tech chat and asking when the release was going to be out. People thought for some reason they would find the magic customer service rep that would have an exact date and time, so they kept bugging them, therefore costing Palm tons more money babysitting people.

My main point is that, yes, the device had problems, that a minority of users complained vocally about. Thanks to this criticism, especially Bob-C's letter, we got Palm to admit the problems and begin working a solution.

My major problem, is that people became volcanic and very obnoxious with Palm pushing for immediate release of the update. I wonder if that obnoxiousness did not make Palm push it out the door to early.

I apologize for my harsher statements earlier. I've become frustrated trying to find real information in this forum and having to wade through threads talking about Blackberries in the wrong forums just because people are impatient frazzled me a bit.

I have to repeat to myself: "It's only a phone..." :-)
    Now that you clarified the context of your original remark, I can understand your point and can agree that Palm customer support harassment did in fact happened and was totaly unnecessary.

Frustration understood and shared, apology accepted.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    I sincerely doubt that people haranguing the chat csr's caused palm to deploy the MR any faster.

If it did then palm is a much more pathetic entity then I envision.

a more effective and appropriate way to "shut up" your complaining customers is to provide them with factual information in a public manner.

if just aggravating the csr's gets results then lets all start annoying them to give us coupons for free treo 800's.
  4.    #304  
    First off, it's been so long since I pulled my Bluetooth headphone out that I specified the wrong model above. The model I have is the Plantronics 640. I've never checked the compatability list because it always worked fine with the 650. There would be no reason I should expect a higher end Treo to have problems.

I started playing with Pocket-Tunes & sadly have to say that it still worked much better on even the 600. You can jump between most apps without skipping except for my big three: Blazer, Versamail & Agendus. I can't fault them for Agendus & Blazer I might give them for loading the cache but THERE IS NO WAY THAT VERSAMAIL should have the problem. Speaking of which, I now believe that Palm did nothing to fix any problems caused by Versamail.

As I mentioned above, Versamail is clearly doing something very processor intensive when starting which causes the lag. Whatever that something is causes Pocket-Tunes to skip as well when launched. Other email programs do not do this which just goes to show that Palm made no effort to change Versamail's startup.

While I like Versamail's functionality, I have also noticed a very basic flaw which brings the app's programming into further question. Try jumping around between multiple apps including Versamail. Ignore the lag & just watch the apps being drawn. All the other apps draw the screen in one shot while Versamail draws it slowly line by line from top to bottom. It reminds me of a Basic program with a Print statement in a For-Loop.

I've never developed a Palm gui but I did Mac apps & when this happened, it was a fundamental problem where you should always turn the screen refresh off, then draw to the window, then turn the screen refresh back on so that the whole window is drawn at once instead of piece by piece. If this is what they did - it is a pretty amateurish mistake.

Are there any POS developers who could let me know if the concept is the same for POS gui's?
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    ^hmmm. Mine doesn't skip in Versamail. However, I keep my VM databases very small. If it gets to be >500K, I clean it up.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  6.    #306  
    I typically have about 1.5Mb of data.
    Did you guys happen to see this?

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/8...ome-locations/

I'm going to call my "local" stores and see what is what... maybe I can get mine done.

EDIT: There's a store that's a few mins on the train away from me that says they have it on a memory card. I suppose I'll see how that goes!

EDIT: fixed link, was missing the trailing slash.
    Last edited by ryanov; 07/16/2007 at 11:52 AM.
    Bad linky ^^^ Link returns file not found.
    Good news, and I'm surprised no one noticed it: The VZW Treo 700p and 700w/wx update is posted now on Palm's website. I am downloading it right now.

I'm a little confused about why it says it needs to be plugged into power AND sync. I think the reason is that it cannot trickle charge during the update, and so they don't want you to run out of battery running the update. I'm 50/50 on whether I feel like banking on that (I do not have the power cable handy).
  10.    #310  
    Have been a way for quite awhile on vacation, buying a car, enjoying the summer, etc. So I have not updated this thread in quite awhile. But I was inspired to update it some more when I read a NY Times article trashing the 700p and Palm in similar fashion to users here. I posted a link at the top and tried to contact Steve Sinclair to see what Palm thought. That is when I found out that Steve Sinclair is no longer with Palm. Read at the top of the thread.

If Steve is still reading this, I give you my best wishes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    Have been a way for quite awhile on vacation, buying a car, enjoying the summer, etc. So I have not updated this thread in quite awhile. But I was inspired to update it some more when I read a NY Times article trashing the 700p and Palm in similar fashion to users here. I posted a link at the top and tried to contact Steve Sinclair to see what Palm thought. That is when I found out that Steve Sinclair is no longer with Palm. Read at the top of the thread.

If Steve is still reading this, I give you my best wishes.
    Thanks for the update Bob .

Good Luck Steve... Almost as if we knew you.
  12.    #312  
    Well yet ANOTHER Treo is rolled out. I had to update the top of the thread to reflect it.

How are you Verizon users making out? How bad is that network problem that I keep hearing about? Being with Sprint I have not had much time to read about it.

What ever happened to that ncc1701p guy who filed the BBB complaint? Didn't Palm's time run out to respond?
    So they kill the messenger that brings them bad news? Instead if fixing the frickin problem, for real? What if they were prohibited from releasing any more products whatsoever, until the 700P was actually fixed? Or, fix all the issues in the 900P and give it to all 700P owners gratis, a massive recall.

RETURNING TO REALITYLAND...
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Well yet ANOTHER Treo is rolled out. I had to update the top of the thread to reflect it.

How are you Verizon users making out? How bad is that network problem that I keep hearing about? Being with Sprint I have not had much time to read about it.

What ever happened to that ncc1701p guy who filed the BBB complaint? Didn't Palm's time run out to respond?
    Hi , ncc1701p here!

Well as far as us verizon users alot of us are pretty frustrated out. After I filed my complaint palm invited me to call them about 3 days after. We had a nice lengthy dialog regarding the issues. I closed out the BBB complaint in good standing since they at least met some of my needs which was A) publicly admitting to the issue (which they did, and pulled the FW), halted the Foleo, and a few other things which honestly i cant recall or really dont care. Im on Treo #4 ready to jump ship. But I do have the right to re-open the complaint if they havent met certain things which i've asked for. And since its been more than 1 month since the complaint and the MR Pull and no release in site.

So thats the news.. if you want to relive my BBB Experience heres the link:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=150210

Happy reading!
    Greatest Treo Call Bug EVER!
  15.    #315  
    I had read your thread as it was developing. It was a very interesting idea and I was following it with great interest. I was impressed to see you follow through on it and wondering if it was going to catch on as others were vowing to follow your lead. Then the thread seemed to end and it was unclear to me that Palm had done anything that would prompt you to close the complaint.

Palm already had the blog up prior to your complaint. I would think that the MR release was pulled due to all the support problems faced by Palm and Verizon. The decision to cancel the Foleo was probably that they noticed no one wanted to buy it based on the one hundred bad reviews they read.

So if your 700p is still broke with no timetable to fix it insight then I am not understanding what it is that they did to help you. Are you saying that you closed the complaint as being resolved to your satisfaction though?
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Bob-C et. al.

To answer your question regarding VZW 700p users... yes, we are still struggling to make the 700p usable in the data network. It is VERY unreliable, and there's little to no notice on whether it will work in a certain ocassion or another.

However, I believe the frustration for VZW customers (and at least is for me) is that there is no viable alternative phone in the phone line-up. The other smartphones in the Verizon space are the XV6700, ancient device by today's standards, or a 700wx which of course suffers from the same 700p connectivity problems. And a BB does not solve my needs unfortunately. We're royally screwed.

And I doubt Palm will re-re-release the MR any time soon. Their track record is less than stellar for this device.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    I had read your thread as it was developing. It was a very interesting idea and I was following it with great interest. I was impressed to see you follow through on it and wondering if it was going to catch on as others were vowing to follow your lead. Then the thread seemed to end and it was unclear to me that Palm had done anything that would prompt you to close the complaint.

Palm already had the blog up prior to your complaint. I would think that the MR release was pulled due to all the support problems faced by Palm and Verizon. The decision to cancel the Foleo was probably that they noticed no one wanted to buy it based on the one hundred bad reviews they read.

So if your 700p is still broke with no timetable to fix it insight then I am not understanding what it is that they did to help you. Are you saying that you closed the complaint as being resolved to your satisfaction though?
    Honestly .. Palm at least acknowledged my complaints and the issues. Did they resolve them no. I will most likely plan on seeking another dialogue with them. If they will not speak to me in reference to my previous 'ticket' with them. I will re-open my old ticket and demand something very unprecedented. A Full refund for my device. Im on Phone #4. Im almost ready to dump verizon because the 700p was why I jumped on their service to begin with. I got the verizon tech to finally offer me 700WX but i flat out refused. he said sorry and that was the end of that. I will keep trying and if I cant get verizon to get me onto a blackberry then I'll just go after Palm to get me a refund.
    Last edited by ncc1701p; 09/14/2007 at 06:20 PM.
    Greatest Treo Call Bug EVER!
  18.    #318  
    700p MR Update 2.0?
    PALM has released a flurry of updates in the last few months for the Centro, 680, Palm Desktop, Windows Mobile Treos and this week the 755p. Does any Treo model seem missing? The obvious answer is that the 700p should undoubtedly have one coming soon. After all, the 755p is pretty much the 700p in a nicer casing. Just ask any of the 700p users who have successfully loaded the 755p ROM update on their 700p in this thread or that thread.

Users of both the 700p and 755p are reporting that some of the outstanding issues in common to both models have been improved. In particular the lag issue, which was improved but far from fixed in last year's 700p MR, has visibly decreased when switching between apps. There are also some nice enhancements to the SMS application.

I would rather wait for an official 700p version but there has been no mention of it in Palm's blog. So I decided to contact Product Manager Paul Loeffler to get the scoop. I emailed the following to him on Tuesday, February 5th. I have yet to hear back from him but, based on my experience with former Product Manager Steve Sinclair & Palm's revitalized customer focus, I am confident that he will within a few days. Stay tuned....

Paul,

I have taken notice that a ROM update was released for the 755p. Since it is basically the same platform as the 700p, minus an antenna plus a microSD card, a number of people on Treocentral have loaded the update onto their 700p. Thus far, they are all claiming success and have seen significant reduction in the lag seen when switching between applications.

Since it is working so well on the 700p, it seems logical that an official update for the 700p could not be far behind. Especially when taking into context Palm's quarterly statement concerning customer disatisfaction. Since that time we have noticed that there have been updates for multiple Treos. Combined with Palm's blog, it is really giving the impression that Palm is making a sincere effort to restore customer confidence. So is an equivalent update for the 700p going to be released in the near future? It would be the single most important thing you could do to solidify the revitalization of Palm's customer support given that there was no more visible discontent than with that of the 700p owners.

Thank you for your attention in this matter. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,

Bob Caruso
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    nicely written, im curious to see what that get for an answer
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    I think they'll be serving ice water in hell before we see anything for the 700p...