View Poll Results: Did you find this Tracking thread helpful from a consumer standpoint?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

141 88.68%
  • No

18 11.32%
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415161718 LastLast
    I finally escaped from the loop (removing the battery while charging), the SOFTWARE VERSION is now Treo700p-1.10-SPNT BUT each time I try to ask for signal it resets...

Now what? Should I still apply the SD Card route?
    Executing SD Card route... "Updating Device ROM: This process will take 5 minutes" I hope it really mean MINUTES
    The SD CARD METHOD ROCKS!! My Treo is alive after a MAJOR operation... 8 hours or something in LIMBO.
    Welcome to "the other side" of the update!
    Can someone please explain the steps for "the SD card route!!!!"??

Do we load the update on the sd card and then install from there as a stand alone and no USB connection to PC?
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...te/sprint.html

Either click on the Vista, Mac, or IT/Enterprise procedure and it'll step you through. It's the same update program you'll be putting on the SD card regardless of what you pick - Vista, IT/Enterprise, or Mac. The only difference in the instructions is how you get the updater extracted and loaded on the SD card.

Have fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by coolgreany View Post
    Can someone please explain the steps for "the SD card route!!!!"??

Do we load the update on the sd card and then install from there as a stand alone and no USB connection to PC?
    download the SD update zip. send the "Palm" folder from the zip (its the only folder in the zip) over to your (empty but formatted) SD card.

Plug your Treo into the power adapter and plug that into the wall. Insert the SD card into your Treo and it takes over from there.

I think youll have to answer a question or 2 on your Treo but after that itll install from the card.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    Based on what Steve had told me I was able to eliminate a decent amout of lag by replacing some files with those from the 755p ROM . It immediately worked without having to do a reset. It doesn't eliminate all the lag - just for one of the major pieces. Unfortunately, when I reset the phone it went into an endless boot cycle. I am restoring right now and will play around with it some more. If I get it right I will PM those who donated to my team.

I realize some other people may have donated to other MS teams but there is just no way for me to verify it and it would be unfair to those who donated to mine. Sorry - but the real ROM update will be out soon enough. Hopefully it will eliminate even more lag. But I can tell you that I am much more encouraged at the moment.

First - Thank you, wysiwyg, for your donation. I am very sorry to hear about your brother-in-law. There aren't that many who actually die from MS. The worse cases are usually paralysis. He must've been in really bad shape. It is just horrible to hear. Hopefully our efforts will make it so that no one ever dies from MS again.

I was able to successfully make the change without crashing the Phone on reset. I am going to email instructions of how I did to those who donated.

Before anyone goes donating - I have thought about it and don't think I want to pass the information on to anyone else. I don't want to be accused of selling anything.

The people who donated did it without thought of reward. I had helped them so they decided to help me and support a cause that would help a lot of people other than themselves. Now I am going to help them again out of gratitude.

For those curious, I will reveal what was changed after the firmware update is available. Hopefully it will be soon and build on the improvement I have seen.

Bob -

now that the MR is out for sprint- can you please share what needs to get updated so those of us with non-sprint versions can do some patching via ram to get our devices more stable?

thanks for any direction your can provide.
    Thanks guys - got it! Will try this weekend.
  10.    #270  
    Latest update posted above...

Now you see it!
    [*POOF!*]
    Now you don't!
    700p MR Posted & Removed

In another bizarre plot twist, the Treo 700p MR was released on Monday 6/4/07. It was specific to Sprint users as the Verizon update was postponed indefinitely. Then at sometime on 6/5/07, user Holy Hannah posted that the update had been removed as can be seen on the link where the update used to reside.

This was after a number of TC'ers reported that their Treo's were going into an endless reset after installing the MR via the hotsync. At least one of which posted that he had called Sprint and talked to a Support tech who said that they'd been getting a lot of calls and wished that Palm would take it off their website. Users who used the SD method did not seem to experience the problem. A poll was started by igreene07 that you can vote at the following link.

After sooooooo long a release delay due to carrier testing, how in the world was an installation problem - big enough to have the MR removed within 24 hours - missed by Sprint? One can only wonder.

I personally went the SD route. I manually backed up my files, did a hard reset, did the update from an SD and then manually restored the files. My thinking was the less you give the install script to do, the less risk involved. I did the same thing with a second 700p and completed everything in just less than an hour.

For those of you who want to try the SD method, a user has uploaded the SD-only version at this link. I will leave him nameless but just know that neither he, nor me, are responsible for your using it. If you are not comfortable in your knowledge of what needs to be done - then DON'T TRY IT UNTIL PALM REPOSTS it.

The following was posted on Palm's blog:

"700p MR Temporarily Unavailable
    We're sorry, but the Sprint Treo 700p maintenance release (MR) is temporarily unavailable. We have received isolated reports of an installation issue that causes the device to continuously reset when applying the software update, so we've removed the update from our site. We're investigating the issue and will make the Sprint Treo 700p update available again as soon as possible. We know this has been a frustrating process for customers and apologize for the inconvenience it may have caused.

If you have experienced difficulty with the maintenance release installation, please contact us so we can work with you to resolve the issue: 866-750-7256.

We don't have a target date for when we can make the Treo 700p MR available for Verizon Wireless users.

Also, we currently don't have plans to issue a MR for other carriers because the ROM software already contains many of the features that are included in the Sprint and Verizon Wireless updates (e.g. many of the Bluetooth improvements and MP3 playback).

Paul Loeffler - Palm, Inc.
    "
    Last edited by Bob-C; 06/06/2007 at 01:41 PM.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    OK more LIES - now there isn't a MR for the Verizon now? No plans? My god these guys just don't know WHAT they are doing. I'm gone -

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...66#post1277566
    Bob

If you would, now that the update is out, what was the correspondance with Steve like the last time you and he emailed?

What did he say to expect from the MR?

asking to see the comparison between what he said vs what really came out.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
  13.    #273  
    Update? What update? I don't see any update released on Palm's site.
    "For those of you who want to try the SD method, a user has uploaded the SD-only version at this link."

What is the "SD version?"

Is this different than the MR that I downloaded from the PALM site yesterday before they removed it?
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    the SD version is a way to put the files on an sd card and then install it from there rather than connecting to a computer with the usb cable.

The SD card method seemed to be a bunch less incident prone.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by karlz View Post
    OK more LIES - now there isn't a MR for the Verizon now? No plans? My god these guys just don't know WHAT they are doing. I'm gone -

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...66#post1277566
    Reread it. Verizon said they don't have a target date for when it will be made available. other carriers won't get it.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    VZW doesn't even know about a pending MR. The rep I spoke to last week in a vzw store hadn't even heard off it. But then again he was a "Q" user. I decided to switch to a "dumb" phone (samsung u740) since no one could give me any answers on the MR and I haven't touched my 700p for 6 days now. Part of that is the "young love" factor, but really, I don't miss the resets, I can still do my calander and contacts on a full qwerty keyboard and bluetooth works without issue. I have taken this new dumb phone as my MR.

Bob-C, thanks for all you have done, I wish it would have worked for me.......
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by sasq View Post
    Reread it. Verizon said they don't have a target date for when it will be made available. other carriers won't get it.
    If the Treo 755p is scheduled for release by Verizon Wireless, then I would expect the MR to become available a few weeks AFTER the 755p initial release.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
  19.    #279  
    One of my letter's themes was Palm's lack of beta testing. This is a perfect example of what I was talking about. Beta testing would have without a doubt prevented this whole installation fiasco from happening en masse.

They could have limited to inhouse employees. Didn't Sprint & Palm each have at least 20 employees that could have tested the MR on their personal 700p's? I think that a mere 20-40 people their heavily used Treos using the various methods would've caught this problem in a heartbeat. I can only guess that testing was limited to a lab environment.
    One of my letter's themes was Palm's lack of beta testing. This is a perfect example of what I was talking about.

snip

I can only guess that testing was limited to a lab environment.
    If beta-testing really happened at all...

My impression is the MR is just the "watered-down" version of the 755p ROM with the 680 installer routine hastly put together despite the bull of extensive carrier testing.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo