View Poll Results: Did you find this Tracking thread helpful from a consumer standpoint?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

141 88.68%
  • No

18 11.32%
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by karlz View Post
    so 300+ posts so?

Ok with Bluetooth - I have NO, NONE, ZERO faith that they will fix the bluetooth issue with a ROM update. The bluetooth modem in these Treos is CRAP O LA - EVERY headset I've paired it with has issues, EVERY ONE, and as a review of these items, I've paired it with literally dozens.

It pairs, it works, and it is spotty crap quality. I compare by pairing it with at least 2 other phones and have excellent or much better quality.

I just don't get it why Palm can't get the bluetooth straight.

Karl
    www.brokeit.com
    I think you do get it. In fact you have it "nailed"./ Why else is a software update not out after a year? Sheesh, its economics. Bad bkuetooth radio = no real fix = find a new phone.

In two weeks we will know, I wish I could place bets somewhere, I could make enough for a new phone
    Morningstar 1844- Thanks for the kind words and support of my long post. It's been a long road with Palm, like a marriage, they try and are so close.

Joad- You're right it was Jeff Hawkins not Steve Hawkings that started Palm. Jeff is an exceptional tech innovator, he started an entire industry of a Palm computer in this square format (not Newton) and a whole comprehensive product line.

Apparently Jeff Hawkins is supposed to be making a big announcement of a new product at the All Things D Conference the end of May (a tech conference developed by the Wall Street Journal and the tech writer Walt Mossberg). I'm not sure if he's back with Palm or on his own. If something cool is coming he'd be up there with Steve Jobs in innovation. (Probably the reason for my transference of the name Jeff to Steve). Few people have this talent.
    Palm Professional -> Palm III-> Sprint Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Sprint Handspring Treo 300 -> Sprint Handspring Treo 600 -> Sprint Treo 650 -> Sprint Treo 700p
  3.    #203  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    I just put a donation in for you. If everyone who signed that petition could put in a simple $10 it'd probably go a long way. That's about $4k, and I think people could do that for Bob given all the work he put into contacting Palm for us. Good luck Bob.

I will update this thread when I hear back from Palm this week.
    Thanks for the donation M3D. I'd still wait until end of month to see what happens with this update. I just sent you a PM of what Steve's last tidbit was. After you read it, take a look at the 755p photos and you'll know it ain't no lie.

I also PM'd the information to the other four people on Treocentral who supported my MS Walk team. Thanks for the help guys. If I get anymore info I will PM you.

I will also let you know how our team did in the Walk in a few weeks. I still have people who will be donating to the team over the course of the next two weeks. I will say that we had beautiful weather and a great turn out of 50 walkers for my team.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    I have been scouring the pics, and I see it too!!!!
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    Hear hear. I am so ticked off at the constant "beeping" I hear in my car as my 700p connects, and then loses connection with my car-kit. Its extremely frustrating to not be able to make bluetooth calls when I want, lose others mid-call, and have to explain to clients and colleagues that the annoying beeping sound they hear every 10-15 minutes is the sound of my phone doing a modern day but far more irritating version of the old dial-up handshake. When I tell people that the problem is Palm has a known software glitch they have failed to address for close to a year, the question I always get is "well why then don't you just get a different brand?"

Its a very good question that I haven't been able to answer. If the update doesn't fix this thing, I just may have to find out if any one here wants to serve as a class representative and file a nice big one against Palm for unfair business practices. . .
  6.    #206  
    I just updated the top of the thread to reflect the 755p release. I added my story about seeing it in the the Sprint store this Monday. It adds an ironic perspective in relationship to the 700p MR wait.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    I just sent you a PM of what Steve's last tidbit was. After you read it, take a look at the 755p photos and you'll know it ain't no lie.
    No offense Bob, but this somewhat cryptic remark leads me to believe there is, in fact, a serious hardware issue with the 700p. Or am I reading too much into this....

In any event, I will have my 755 tomorrow (basically free upgrade via retention) so I look forward to the comparison, and bid farewell to my much maligned 700p.
  8.    #208  
    I updated the top of thread to reflect the 680 MR being made available. Although most of you are aware of this already I added some commentary with my thoughts on this. I will also include them here as well....

In most aspects it is a positive sign that Palm was able to release a MR for the 680 in an industry competitive timeframe. It is a signal that Palm has truly re-committed themselves to supporting products instead of just churning out new ones. However, I still can't help but get that lingering question out of my head. How is it that yet another POS Treo, much newer than the 700p, was able to get a MR passed so quickly through carrier certification while the 700p has been in certification limbo for sooooooo long?

All I can say for sure is that it was a very wise strategy for Palm to communicate that the 700p MR is still on track for the week of May 28th prior to making this 680 release. With the end in sight, though still legitimate, the question just doesn't seem to matter as much. I think it diffused what could've been another bomb to the 700p community.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Sadly, no amount of bellyaching will change anything in terms of Palm's actions at this point. At some point they made a decision to not place any attention or resources behind resolving issues with the 700p. Case closed (for me at least).
    It seems to me that yes Palm is trying to change things, change their outlook, recommit to their base etc etc. I see their efforts but it still seems they cant get out ouf their own way.

I dont think the 680 MR release being held till the time of the 700P's or a few days after wouldve killed anyone. (no offense to those 680 owners reading this) It just seems to me that this is yet another PRPRPR $blunder$. $If$ $the$ $700$'$s$ $MR$ $is$ $truely$ $on$ $track$ $for$ $next$ $week$ $and$ $they$ $knew$ $the$ $680$'$s$ $was$ $this$ $close$, $they$ $seriously$ $couldve$ $held$ $it$ $just$ $a$ $bit$ $longer$ $to$ $make$ $themselves$ $look$ $better$.

Im with you Bob, how can yet another fix/patch/MR come out for one of their units but all we've seen for the 700 is the DST patch?

BTW Bob, not to make excuses, but Id love to donate to your cause, Im just in the middle of planning a wedding (June 23rd) and cant spare any spare change.

Although its tempting, if not just to get a PM from you to tell me what Steve said, I apologize that I cant.

But feel free to PM me anyway! hahahaha. JK.

Thanks again for all youve done for us!
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    How do I donate?
    Never underestimate the power of freedom!

Treo 600, 650, 700P and now 755P.
  12.    #212  
    Thank you for the interest. Donations can be made by clicking on here. And good luck to hdhntr23 with that whole marriage thing.

The drama is killing me with this wait. I didn't expect Palm to be doing anymore work than me over what was a relaxing holiday weekend and release it Monday. I did think they would put it out today though just because of the timing.

I would think that the long awaited MR will get the Blog headline when released. We all know that Hawkins new device unveiling will get the Blog's headline tomorrow. Since Palm seems to like spreading stories out over a week instead of on back-to-back days, I doubt they will release the MR and bump Hawkins story within only 24 hours. So I am scratching of Wednesday and Thursday. I can't imagine they would release it over a weekend so I am going to guess that it will be out on Friday.

I remember that one year they put a MR out late in the day so I am going to keep checking but I also remember them putting one out on a Friday. I wish they would just put the darn thing out already!
    Thanks Bob!
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Bob

Made a donation to MS - Brother In Law passed away form MS a few years ago.

On another note I just chatted with a Palm CS person names Matthew. He had no idea when the MR was going to be released.
  15.    #215  
    Based on what Steve had told me I was able to eliminate a decent amout of lag by replacing some files with those from the 755p ROM . It immediately worked without having to do a reset. It doesn't eliminate all the lag - just for one of the major pieces. Unfortunately, when I reset the phone it went into an endless boot cycle. I am restoring right now and will play around with it some more. If I get it right I will PM those who donated to my team.

I realize some other people may have donated to other MS teams but there is just no way for me to verify it and it would be unfair to those who donated to mine. Sorry - but the real ROM update will be out soon enough. Hopefully it will eliminate even more lag. But I can tell you that I am much more encouraged at the moment.
  16.    #216  
    First - Thank you, wysiwyg, for your donation. I am very sorry to hear about your brother-in-law. There aren't that many who actually die from MS. The worse cases are usually paralysis. He must've been in really bad shape. It is just horrible to hear. Hopefully our efforts will make it so that no one ever dies from MS again.

I was able to successfully make the change without crashing the Phone on reset. I am going to email instructions of how I did to those who donated.

Before anyone goes donating - I have thought about it and don't think I want to pass the information on to anyone else. I don't want to be accused of selling anything.

The people who donated did it without thought of reward. I had helped them so they decided to help me and support a cause that would help a lot of people other than themselves. Now I am going to help them again out of gratitude.

For those curious, I will reveal what was changed after the firmware update is available. Hopefully it will be soon and build on the improvement I have seen.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Bob, did you do what we discussed? Thanks for the heads up! Talk to you soon,

Cigar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post

Before anyone goes donating - I have thought about it and don't think I want to pass the information on to anyone else. I don't want to be accused of selling anything.

The people who donated did it without thought of reward. I had helped them so they decided to help me and support a cause that would help a lot of people other than themselves. Now I am going to help them again out of gratitude.

For those curious, I will reveal what was changed after the firmware update is available. Hopefully it will be soon and build on the improvement I have seen.
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
  18.    #218  
    I updated the top post reflecting the latest delay in this neverending saga.

I wish I could say I am shocked but I am not. I predicted that when Palm vowed the MR to be available in the last week of May pending carrier approval, between the lines they were really saying JUNE.

What baffles me the most is how can Paul not know on Thursday if the Sprint update will be available on Friday or not? Is it done or isn't? Has it passed testing or not? What would be changing within 24 hours? Did they find something broke at the last second and are scrambling to fix it and get it tested again? Does that make you all warm and fuzzy about loading it? And if the Verizon one is now an indeterminate amount of time away then what happened from the, "right on schedule for week of the 28th post"? Sounds like something was found broken on at least one carrier. Hopefully Paul will enlighten us on the Blog today.

If you were thinking of buying a Palm product, I would suggest that you read through this post, see how long the history of this support saga is and ask yourself if you want to go through the same. Chances are you will make up your mind before you finish reading the post.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Now that the delay has been extended, I'm even more curious to know about the Steve Sinclair email. Although I don't really know what you're talking about, I wonder if the delay and the tidbit are related?
  20.    #220  
    Not even in the slightest.
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast