View Poll Results: Did you find this Tracking thread helpful from a consumer standpoint?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

141 88.68%
  • No

18 11.32%
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Dear Steve,

Thanks for the royal screwing. Don't for a second think I buy the obfuscation and bull$hit. Palm has known about these issues for a long time but instead focused its resources elsewhere. That was a conscious decision.

I am about to make one of my own, and guess what: it involves NEVER buying another Palm product.
    Last edited by eodell; 04/17/2007 at 07:59 PM.
    Dear Steve,

Two words:: "Hello RIM!"

I'm the owner of a small business that has 50+ 700p's deployed across our sales force. Your update on the blog today has finaly convinced me that PALM doesn't care about it customers, but about it's investors. Palm has made it CLEAR that they are more interested in launching newer products than supporting current customers.

I am a longtime loyal Palm user, and was under the impression that we were deploying the "Lexus" of smartphones -- unfortunately we ended up with these untested, semi-functional imports instead.

How does PALM not understand that the Cost of Ownership for the 700p has become astronomical. Not only did we pay a PREMIUM price for our phones, but our IT department wastes more time teaching employees how to perform "Soft" and "Hard" resets, supporting blue tooth issues, and performing product replacements through Sprint than I care to admit.

Palm has had more than adequate time to respond to these problems and issue patches, ROM upgrades, or hardware replacements to alternative palm models -- but has chosen to do NOTHING.

Palm will never sell me, or my business, another phone again. Tomorrow we will bring in our Sprint reps to begin discussing replacing our 700p's with a Blackberry solution.

I would suggest to others in this forum to send your negative experiences with Palm to the Wall Street Journal wsj.ltrs@wsj.com . Palm may choose not to answer it's customers demands, but they will respond to their shareholder demands, or they will suffer severe financial consequences.

Sincerely,

A New RIM Customer
    Quote Originally Posted by tracerrx View Post
    Dear Steve,

Two words:: "Hello RIM!"

Palm will never sell me, or my business, another phone again. Tomorrow we will bring in our Sprint reps to begin discussing replacing our 700p's with a Blackberry solution.

A New RIM Customer

Well said...This is the only way to get the sessage through to Palm, if you feel screwed, don't support them again.

I will test the update but when is time for a new phone I am DONE with Palm hardware, hope there is a non-palm hardware vendor then providing Palm OS/Linux devices (I miss the i550!!).
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    I share everyone's frustration on the 700p issues. As you can see from my sig file I've been on these boards probably longer than most anyone else. So long they were called Visor Central when I joined.

I have been buying Palms since the Palm Professional. I long for the days when Steve Hawkins started the company and Ed Colligan was just the marketing guy.

Palm has made a series of blunders over the years let's review shall we: Getting sold to US Robotics, then 3Com, pissing off Steve & Donna so they left Palm and started up Handspring. Palm was so inept at making successful products they bought Handspring to get the Treo product and the same leaders they pissed off back in house.

Then they went through this stupid phase where the company was broken into 2 groups: Palm One the hardware and the Palm Software group. Then they sold off their OS (a really stupid move) just to get the chance to play with MSFT.

A series of products that missed the boat one way or another: Treo 300 (hinge flap would break), Treo 600 no memory or bluetooth, Treo 650 (not enough memory), Treo 700p (bluetooth issues, backwards move in OS with delays on changing apps).

PALM YOU BETTER FIX YOUR ISSUES AND RELEASE RELEVANT PRODUCTS THAT GET IT RIGHT! IF YOU MISS IT, FIX IT QUICK. The marketplace is unforgiving, I don't think the iPhone will release with these issues. My prediction is a iron clad OS, a perfect bluetooth (you don't even have to pair) and lightning fast switching between apps.

I like the 700p and with the EVDO and more memory it is the best Treo I've owned if you can fix the bluetooth and app lag time issues.

Please get it right otherwise you won't have to worry about all these upset users, you won't have any users or a company. In the days of ultra thin RZR phones and an upcoming product from a company leading tech companies in innovation like Apple, there is no room for errors and complacency.

ED, focus on building the best products not worrying about who is going to possibly buy you. In an era of shrinking form factor, the Treo has had the same size form factor since the Treo 600.

For the record, your blog sounds more like a Corp PRPRPR $mouthpiece$. $In$ $an$ $era$ $when$ $the$ $CEO$ $of$ $Sun$ $is$ $blogging$ ($impromptu$) $your$ $1$ $poster$ $carefully$ $worded$ $entries$ $seems$ $irrelevant$.

I long for the Palm company of old days. I still believe in Palm in spite of everything and want the 700p to be an amazing product with the MR as it can be. Just frusterated with Palm it is always something. Being a Palm fan is like being a long time Cubs fan!
    Palm Professional -> Palm III-> Sprint Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Sprint Handspring Treo 300 -> Sprint Handspring Treo 600 -> Sprint Treo 650 -> Sprint Treo 700p
    I will wait until the update is out, I will load it up, see what it does and then comment. Until then, I am going back to snowflake posts.

Cheers, Perry.
    May 28 ?? Possibly? Possibly not.

I like many others am tired of the too little too late from Palm.

Verizon will be releasing the Blackberry 8830 to consumers on May 29, So I will be anticipating the update. I can update this 700pos and sell it to some other victim(beta tester) and get something that has a good reputation.
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    so 300+ posts so?

Ok with Bluetooth - I have NO, NONE, ZERO faith that they will fix the bluetooth issue with a ROM update. The bluetooth modem in these Treos is CRAP O LA - EVERY headset I've paired it with has issues, EVERY ONE, and as a review of these items, I've paired it with literally dozens.

It pairs, it works, and it is spotty crap quality. I compare by pairing it with at least 2 other phones and have excellent or much better quality.

I just don't get it why Palm can't get the bluetooth straight.

Karl
    www.brokeit.com
    Quote Originally Posted by karlz View Post
    so 300+ posts so?

I just don't get it why Palm can't get the bluetooth straight.
    This board would be too quiet so they do us a favor and give folks something to complain about. Most humans are happiest when they are complaining.
    172 Posts
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    well duh - that's one of the points of the forums, a place to *****
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEATHIN View Post
    I share everyone's frustration on the 700p issues. As you can see from my sig file I've been on these boards probably longer than most anyone else. So long they were called Visor Central when I joined.

I have been buying Palms since the Palm Professional. I long for the days when Steve Hawkins started the company and Ed Colligan was just the marketing guy.

Palm has made a series of blunders over the years let's review shall we: Getting sold to US Robotics, then 3Com, pissing off Steve & Donna so they left Palm and started up Handspring. Palm was so inept at making successful products they bought Handspring to get the Treo product and the same leaders they pissed off back in house.

Then they went through this stupid phase where the company was broken into 2 groups: Palm One the hardware and the Palm Software group. Then they sold off their OS (a really stupid move) just to get the chance to play with MSFT.

A series of products that missed the boat one way or another: Treo 300 (hinge flap would break), Treo 600 no memory or bluetooth, Treo 650 (not enough memory), Treo 700p (bluetooth issues, backwards move in OS with delays on changing apps).

PALM YOU BETTER FIX YOUR ISSUES AND RELEASE RELEVANT PRODUCTS THAT GET IT RIGHT! IF YOU MISS IT, FIX IT QUICK. The marketplace is unforgiving, I don't think the iPhone will release with these issues. My prediction is a iron clad OS, a perfect bluetooth (you don't even have to pair) and lightning fast switching between apps.

I like the 700p and with the EVDO and more memory it is the best Treo I've owned if you can fix the bluetooth and app lag time issues.

Please get it right otherwise you won't have to worry about all these upset users, you won't have any users or a company. In the days of ultra thin RZR phones and an upcoming product from a company leading tech companies in innovation like Apple, there is no room for errors and complacency.

ED, focus on building the best products not worrying about who is going to possibly buy you. In an era of shrinking form factor, the Treo has had the same size form factor since the Treo 600.

For the record, your blog sounds more like a Corp PRPRPR $mouthpiece$. $In$ $an$ $era$ $when$ $the$ $CEO$ $of$ $Sun$ $is$ $blogging$ ($impromptu$) $your$ $1$ $poster$ $carefully$ $worded$ $entries$ $seems$ $irrelevant$.

I long for the Palm company of old days. I still believe in Palm in spite of everything and want the 700p to be an amazing product with the MR as it can be. Just frusterated with Palm it is always something. Being a Palm fan is like being a long time Cubs fan!

Excellant Post and well said!
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    FULL DISCLOSURE: I am going to get my hair cut. I will be gone for an hour. So I may not get the TC Frontpage Article up the minute the blog post arrives. In any case, something will be up on the TC frontpage just after 5PST in either case.

Repeat: I am getting my hair cut.

That is all.

Thanks for the post Septimus!!
    Well...since Palm isn't going to license their new Linux based OS, all we can do is hope someone decides to make a killer smartphone that runs ALP, because Garnet, Java, and Linux in one phone can only be good. Especially if it isn't made and supported by Palm.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    Well...since Palm isn't going to license their new Linux based OS, all we can do is hope someone decides to make a killer smartphone that runs ALP, because Garnet, Java, and Linux in one phone can only be good. Especially if it isn't made and supported by Palm.
    Sad to say, but my best Palm OS devices (qualitywise) were those NOT made by Palm, Inc.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
  14.    #194  
    In all the announcement hoopla, I forgot to update the thread about the May 28th date. I just updated it for the sake of anyone who might have bookmarked or linked this thread so others can check from time to time.

I have open a thread to reply in one place to everyone who thanked me in the following thread linked here. I also talk about a charity cause, the MS Walk, that affects both myself and 400,000 other Americans who have Multiple Sclerosis. I will be re-directing my full attention back to this event and away from the Firmware issue for the next two weeks. I would appreciate it if everyone took just a few minutes to read about it. Any sponsorship would be deeply appreciated.

The thread is:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=141634

Thank you for your attention.

-Bob
    Last edited by Bob-C; 04/24/2007 at 02:32 PM.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEATHIN View Post
    I long for the days when Steve Hawkins started the company and Ed Colligan was just the marketing guy.
    I always thought Jeff Hawkins started Palm. There's a Stephen Hawking sitting around in a wheelchair somewhere, but probably has too much intelligence to make some of the mistakes that Palm has made.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
  16.    #196  
    I traded a final couple of goodbye and thanks for all the help emails with Steve this week. In course of the conversation we started talking about Palm's Blog and how he had noticed my questions about Versamail. He gave me some interesting information on the lag relationship between the Phone app and Versamail.

I don't have the time to post all that up right now as I am concentrating on raising money for the MS Walk. I am really behind this year from all the time I spent with this firmware stuff as I usually start raising funds at the beginning of the year. If any of you guys could help me out this time with some tax deductible sponsorship, I would really appreciate it. Then maybe I'll get back to this firmware thing.

It is a very worthy cause and a great opportunity to give hope to many people stricken with this incurable disease. All donations are matched by my company so even small donations can add up quickly.

My website is located at http://oldcityposse.org. It is connected directly to a secure National Multiple Sclerosis website for anyone who wishes to donate.

Thanks for helping me this time guys.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob-C; 05/05/2007 at 10:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    I traded a final couple of goodbye and thanks for all the help emails with Steve this week. In course of the conversation we started talking about Palm's Blog and how he had noticed my questions about Versamail. He gave me some interesting information on the lag relationship between the Phone app and Versamail.

I don't have the time to post all that up right now as I am concentrating on raising money for the MS Walk. I am really behind this year from all the time I spent with this firmware stuff as I usually start raising funds at the beginning of the year. If any of you guys could help me out this time with some tax deductible sponsorship, I would really appreciate it. Then I can get back to this firmware thing.

It is a very worthy cause and a great opportunity to give hope to many people stricken with this incurable disease. All donations are matched by my company so even small donations can add up quickly.

My website is located at http://oldcityposse.org. It is connected directly to a secure National Multiple Sclerosis website for anyone who wishes to donate.

Thanks for helping me this time guys.

Bob
    I look forward to reading your post on this Bob-C. I just wanted to update everyone here and mention that on a whim I stopped by a Palm store in San Francisco to ask about who I could talk to to get some sort of refund or something for my 2 700p's because quite frankly I was dissatisfied. I mentioned what everyone already knows, about the phone being EOL'd and replaced before an update is even available, and that fundamentally, this means that for the entire product life cycle of the phone, it never lived up to its advertised capabilities, therefore I truly don't believe it was fair for me to pay for those capabilities.

About one hour later I received a call from corporate customer relations (I didn't call them, they called me b/c of my visit to the store). The gentleman on the phone was actually very knowledgeable and mentioned he read my blog comment and he knew I was the one who had the preproduction 700p way back in Feb of last year. I told him what it was like to be a customer of the 700p from a customer standpoint, how I was a big Palm fan, how I loved my 650 and I would love this 700p but that the way Palm handled the issues here was something that made me lost faith in ever buying another product from the company ever again, as most people on here have express similar sentiments. I outright said that Palm had failed to support any of its loyalists, those that would choose the archaic (by today's OS standards) PalmOS over Windows Mobile because they love the Palm UI.

The gentleman told me that he would do some checking and give me a call back on Monday (or at the very least sometime next week) after he's checked with a few other high-ups at Palm Headquarters. I wanted to post this here, though, because I was impressed that Palm literally called me back about an hour after I was in their store asking about this. Perhaps something at Palm really is changing for the better, I can't be sure, but I now believe it might be a possibility. I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes, and I will check back to report my experience here, good or bad. I know that Palm sometimes reads these boards, and I hope they realize how far a little support can go to any of their customers, no matter how small the percentage.

I'll keep you all up to date as I find out more...and Bob-C, good luck raising funds for the MS Walk. Let us know the final results of that as well!
  18.    #198  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    I look forward to reading your post on this Bob-C.

I'll keep you all up to date as I find out more...and Bob-C, good luck raising funds for the MS Walk. Let us know the final results of that as well!
    Well Merlyn-3D. the fundraising is not going nearly well enough that I'll be getting to that post anytime soon. The firmware MR may even be out before I get to it. Maybe you could chip something in yourself to help out to help me out?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    Well Merlyn-3D. the fundraising is not going nearly well enough that I'll be getting to that post anytime soon. The firmware MR may even be out before I get to it. Maybe you could chip something in yourself to help out to help me out?
    I just put a donation in for you. If everyone who signed that petition could put in a simple $10 it'd probably go a long way. That's about $4k, and I think people could do that for Bob given all the work he put into contacting Palm for us. Good luck Bob.

I will update this thread when I hear back from Palm this week.
    Well...Palm contacted me again on Monday. The said they could offer a full refund on both my Treo 700p's given the extenuating circumstances I've gone though. I'm likely going to be going this route. It's made me make the jump to Cingular a little earlier and nab two Treo 750's in the process (talk about night and day, I mean I'm no fan of windows mobile, but the 750 is pretty fast, stable, and Palm's added tweaks and configuration make usability excellent, including using voice command over bluetooth headsets!). I would have liked to wait for the iPhone to jump to Cingular, but oh well, I'll pawn these 750's when iPhone is released.

So for me, anyway, the 700p saga ends. I'm not gonna wait for the firmware update anymore, and the 755p doesn't look like Palm really cares much for the PalmOS platform anymore. It has virtually no enhancements or anything over the 700p. I'll give the 750 a whirl and put up with WM5 for a month before I grab myself the iPhone.
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast