• VZW- problems

12 17.65%
  • Sprint- no problems

25 36.76%
  • VZW- no problems

16 23.53%
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    With all the letters and what not going around I started to notice that most people having "problems" with their 700p are on Sprint. I am on VZW and although my 700p could be a little quicker in some cases I don't really consider it to have "problems". So that prompted me to make this poll. Don't want to know what your problem is just simply trying to see if there is any correlation between service providers. I have a feeling that much of the problems voiced on here are related to the Sprint version (maybe related to the apps sprint chose to include in the ROM?), meaning that maybe you guys should put more pressure on Sprint...
    Last edited by PDR447; 12/15/2006 at 01:20 PM. Reason: get my point accross better
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I voted Sprint, No problems. I am just a lucky one maybe, but my wife and my father both have 700p's on Sprint as well. Albeit they aren't as much power users as I, not that I am myself, but none of us have had any issues. I will say that we have had some SMS's show up late, and I know peeps are complaining about SMS problems, but my wife knows for a fact that she was roaming at the time, so I was pawning it off as that. She was on an OLD PRL and since then can't say we have had issues. And all mine, and my incoming ones from friends seem to come in just fine. So take that for what it is worth. But overall, can't say I have had any issues. But I might not use mine like some of the others do. My bluetooth headset that I rarely use works fine when I do.

I think the results will end up mixed either way. Every carrier has issues, just depends on the area you are after. I truly believe that the issues most are presenting on this forum are generally speaking with the phone itself, not the carrier. It is always best judgment to go with who has the most towers and such in the area you will be in.

Good Luck.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cflynt View Post
    I truly believe that the issues most are presenting on this forum are generally speaking with the phone itself, not the carrier.
    That's what I am trying to find out- reading through the forum it seems that most people that are complaining of hardware problems are with Sprint. My 700p is with Verizon and I don't have much trouble with mine. I'm just curious to see if there is a correlation between service provider and trouble with the 700p.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    It is tough to determine what the culprit is. A Sprint user with 50 applications might have more problems than a VZW user without any applications. How can you compare Apples to Apples when you have a product that can have multiple apps?
    Ok so I had the Sprint version when it first came out, nothing but problems, resets, droped calls, sms issues,etc. It was enough that I droped the Treo all together.
    Went back to verizon and just a Razr, decided to try the 700P on Verizon for the very reason that you are asking, most problems seem to be Sprint related on these forums.
    So far 2 month with the Verizon Treo 700P and zero problems, no resets, or network issues at all. I am now very happy with it!!
    You also have to consider the number of Sprint 700p TC users vs Verizon 700p TC users. A different poll could give more details, but if there is 1 user to every 10 Sprint users then it would skew the results.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    You also have to consider the number of Sprint 700p TC users vs Verizon 700p TC users. A different poll could give more details, but if there is 1 user to every 10 Sprint users then it would skew the results.
    That's true. With a device like this that's asking to have a data plan, most people are gonna steer clear of Verizon and their horrible data plan prices.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    I thought about that and that's why I added the "no problems" option(originally I just had the choice between VZW and Sprint). With this we can compare the ratio of Sprint units w/ problems vs. Sprint w/o problems. Same for Verizon.

So the results could come out to something like 1/2 Sprint 700p's have trouble vs. 1/3 VZW 700p's have trouble.

The more votes we get the more accurate it will be!
    Last edited by PDR447; 12/15/2006 at 03:26 PM.
    Well, I'd say I'm happy with my Verizon Treo 700P about 3 times a day...

I suffer from the "not known by Verizon SMS Lockup" issue. I've had them replace my 700P, yet I still am having this very same problem.

For those, who are'nt familiar. Here's how to reproduce the issue.
    1. Take a BRAND-NEW Treo 700P (or hard-reset yours).
    2. SMS to another Verizon customer, like your spouse's Treo 650.
    3. Have your spouse reply back to you.
    4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 about 30-50 time.

Eventually, your Treo 700P will stop. Full Stop, do not pass go, do not collect $200. This hang occurs just after the Green Check appears next to a message that you've sent out. It's the message delivered confirmation. Your Treo will then stop, you can't receive phone calls, the clock stops, no buttons work, the card eject isn't noticed, you can't do ANYTHING until it comes out of this state. The state is directly tied to the length of chat messages you have with someone, so the more you communicate with someone, the longer the total lockup is. Really conducive to a health relationship...

16:21 (Her) - What do you want for dinner?
    16:22 (Me) - Anything, sounds great, you're a fantastic cook! [insert 8 min lockup]
    16:23 (Her) - Oh, My mother is stopping by to join us, is that okay?
    16:24 (Her) - Hello?
    16:26 (Her) - If you don't like my mother, just say so!
    16:28 (Her) - Well, fine! you can just have your stupid ring back!
    16:30 (Me) - Ummm, I'd love it if your mom came over, my phone locked up again.
    16:31 (Her) - Yeah, right. Enjoy take-out!
    Not the actual transcript, but it's almost happened to many of us suffering with this problem. But, there are work arounds...
    1. Stop using SMS.
    2. Switch applications after sending a message, wait 5-6 seconds for the window of vulnerability to pass, & switch back to SMS
    3. Constantly purge your messages.

So, until Verizon releases a fix from Palm for this, we're

Scott
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sck_nogas View Post
    Well, I'd say I'm happy with my Verizon Treo 700P about 3 times a day...

I suffer from the "not known by Verizon SMS Lockup" issue. I've had them replace my 700P, yet I still am having this very same problem.

For those, who are'nt familiar. Here's how to reproduce the issue.
    1. Take a BRAND-NEW Treo 700P (or hard-reset yours).
    2. SMS to another Verizon customer, like your spouse's Treo 650.
    3. Have your spouse reply back to you.
    4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 about 30-50 time.

Eventually, your Treo 700P will stop. Full Stop, do not pass go, do not collect $200. This hang occurs just after the Green Check appears next to a message that you've sent out. It's the message delivered confirmation. Your Treo will then stop, you can't receive phone calls, the clock stops, no buttons work, the card eject isn't noticed, you can't do ANYTHING until it comes out of this state. The state is directly tied to the length of chat messages you have with someone, so the more you communicate with someone, the longer the total lockup is. Really conducive to a health relationship...

Not the actual transcript, but it's almost happened to many of us suffering with this problem. But, there are work arounds...
    1. Stop using SMS.
    2. Switch applications after sending a message, wait 5-6 seconds for the window of vulnerability to pass, & switch back to SMS
    3. Constantly purge your messages.

So, until Verizon releases a fix from Palm for this, we're

Scott
    another solution: don't use threaded SMS.

I don't use the threaded view, don't like it(yeah I'm sure you all think I'm crazy). Anyways I've never had an issue with sms lockup and I text other Verizon people quite a bit(last month had over 600).
    [QUOTE=PDR447;1151410]With all the letters and what not going around I started to notice that most people having "problems" with their 700p are on Sprint. I am on VZW and although my 700p could be a little quicker in some cases I don't really consider it to have "problems". So that prompted me to make this poll. Don't want to know what your problem is just simply trying to see if there is any correlation between service providers. I have a feeling that much of the problems voiced on here are related to the Sprint version (maybe related to the apps sprint chose to include in the ROM?), meaning that maybe you guys should put more pressure on Sprint...[/QUOTE

How would a Sprint 700p know what's wrong with a Vzw 700p, without having both to test?

Both phones may be the same technically, but each provider loads on specific apps particular to their service.

I have a Sprint 700p and i'd say that my problems are generally applicable to both, sluggishness generally, bluetooth occasionally and so on.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    How would a Sprint 700p know what's wrong with a Vzw 700p, without having both to test?
    huh? not totally following you. If your asking how I would know that the sprint one has more problems without testing it, I don't. I simply said that by reading various posts it seemed that most people complaining had the Sprint 700p.
    Both phones may be the same technically, but each provider loads on specific apps particular to their service.
    Exactly, which may cause a person to have more or less trouble. Meaning that the user should put pressure on their service provider.

anyways, as the survey stands now we have Sprint with 7/11 (or 64%) having problems and Verizon with a lower 7/14 (or 50%) having problems. The difference is fairly minimal but it is a difference. Need a larger voting pool to get the most accurate results though...
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    woops, just realized my math was wrong. have to divide the number of problematic treos by the total number reported(per brand). so the current, corrected stats are:

Sprint: 39% have problems

Verizon: 37% have problems
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    woops, just realized my math was wrong. have to divide the number of problematic treos by the total number reported(per brand). so the current, corrected stats are:

Global Posts
    292 Global Posts

Global Posts
    292 Global Posts