1.    #1  
    I have a 700p with sprint. Can my phone be unlocked. And if it can what does that do for me. What can i do once my phone is unlocked. I checked the forums and they talk about unlocking the phone and stuff like that but not what it will do for you. If anyone can shine some light my way. Thanks
    On Sprint, Unlocking the phone might mean you could use the same phone on Verizon (they use the same frequencies, so your phone's radio can use both.

A locked phone is one that is "locked" to a particular provider...this matters a lot to people who have GSM service providers (T-Mobile and Cingular) because GSM phones use a SIM card (Subscriber Informattion Module), meaning that a Cingular customer can put their SIM into any unlocked or cingular-locked device and *presto* that phone will work for them.

If that Cingular customer were to put their SIM into a phone locked by T-Mobile, it wouldn't work.

Locked phones can be unlocked if you know the code (which is sometimes provided by the provider, or you can buy it from third party companies)
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    But, correct me if I am wrong, this pertains to the phone's voice plan, not the data plan, right? If I unlock my Verizon phone, I might be able to use it on a Sprint phone plan, but I'd be stuck relying on Verizon to provide data service, right?
    I've never heard of a phone with a voice plan with one company and a data plan with another.

Just a guess - but I think unlocking probably covers both, as data usage would be tied to your account number, and that account wouldn't be able to register on a different network if the phone was locked.
    Quote Originally Posted by haroldo View Post
    But, correct me if I am wrong, this pertains to the phone's voice plan, not the data plan, right? If I unlock my Verizon phone, I might be able to use it on a Sprint phone plan, but I'd be stuck relying on Verizon to provide data service, right?
    I don't think so - I think you would be using both voice and data on sprint.
  6.    #6  
    is it hard to unlock ur phone
    I am fairly certain that neither Verizon or Sprint would activate an unlocked phone. I believe that both of these carriers will only activate phones originally set up for their systems. The unlocked thing is a gsm thing.