Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    For me this upgrade was a no brainer. It has exactly the two features I've been hoping for for a LONG time...

1) dynamic radio station list, which lets you explore streams without the need to browse around looking for stuff (like winamp's "internet radio" thingy)

2) streaming aacPlus. Great sounding audio over the crappiest of connections.

Outstanding. Way to go, Normsoft.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    OK. So in May I paid 24.99 for upgrading to the Deluxe version on my Treo 700p. Now on December they are asking for 19.99 to upgrade to 4.0 which doesn't have that many features over 3.0 In other words I would be paying about $45 this year to get Pocket Tunes latest version. Is it just me or $45 for one year sounds like a lot of money giving the fact that they are not maintaining a service like Verichat and we are not getting that many new features.

Al
    Yeah, I'm sorry I bought version 3 deluxe, too. I had more skipping on the 650 than I get on the 700p, but for a plain old MP3 player this software is basically approaching the price of a low-end iPod or other dedicated MP3 player, which would come with much better ergonomics that wouldn't threaten your $600 phone.

In fact, you can just use TCPMP or purchase an entire license to the Core Media Player for about the same as the upgrade price from 3->4. It doesn't stream (yet) but looks better and plays movies for chrissakes!

And if you want streaming radio, pickup Mundo Radio for free, and/or just stick with Pockettunes 3 deluxe which seems to stream just fine for me.

At one point Pocketunes was at the top of the heap, but now there is a whole lot of great competition that goes far beyond them. I'd imagine someday Palm will release hardware that "breaks" Pockettunes 3 and Normsoft won't patch it unless you upgrade to his latest version, but for now I see absolutely no reason to pay for this upgrade such a 1-trick pony software commodity item unless you absolutely need the improved streaming features. Here's a link to real upgrades for just about the price of this one: http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_a.../sortby=priceA
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    The pricing for PocketTunes needs to be fixed. A lower price would result in more money for Normsoft. I have a lifetime license on Aeroplayer which plays my MP3s in the background with no skipping. $38 to switch to Ptunes is way too much.

All I really want is bookmark support. I am gonna hold out until Aeroplayer gets updated or the price of Ptunes is reduced.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    I think I would buy the upgrade if they at least considered lowering the price by $5 or more. Hey Christmas is around the corner where is your Christmas spirit NormSoft.

Al
    I think I would buy the upgrade if they at least considered lowering the price by $5 or more. Hey Christmas is around the corner where is your Christmas spirit NormSoft.

Al
    Ha, that's why he's releasing an unfinished upgrade at this time, to support the Christmas spirit for himself.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I'm holding out for a decent wma solution. The only aacplus streams I've found that I was interested in (somafm.com) are 48k, which I think will probably buffer on my 650. Not going to buy 4.0 just to try them just to find out they buffer. And I don't need album art.

Dissappointing.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    OK. So in May I paid 24.99 for upgrading to the Deluxe version on my Treo 700p. Now on December they are asking for 19.99 to upgrade to 4.0 which doesn't have that many features over 3.0 In other words I would be paying about $45 this year to get Pocket Tunes latest version. Is it just me or $45 for one year sounds like a lot of money giving the fact that they are not maintaining a service like Verichat and we are not getting that many new features.

Al
    Same with me...bought Deluxe in May, now it's time for another $19.99? I just got done paying DataViz for their software (again) and now here's Normsoft with their hand out.

I'm all for supporting development but I'm getting tired of buying (the same) applications two (or three) times a year.

I think if you buy an app. (like Pocket Tunes) you should get twelve months (at least) of free updates, no matter what happens. You should never have to buy the same peice of software twice in the same twelve month period, even if it is radically updated. No way should you have to pay $37.95 in May and another $19.95 again in December.

DataViz is just as bad. $29.95 in November and there will be another charge in early/mid 2007 for the Office 2007 update. No wonder people crack this stuff...
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
    What's with almost all internet stations displaying "Unable to locate playlist. Network read error."
    Does this mean I don't have enough data to stream?
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    What's with almost all internet stations displaying "Unable to locate playlist. Network read error."
    Does this mean I don't have enough data to stream?
    I wonder if this is due to changes in the URL for the stream(s)?
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    I wonder if this is due to changes in the URL for the stream(s)?
    I think so too.
    These "Official" playlists don't display what bitrate value the streams are in. A station name just isnt enough.

I guess it's back to treobits for me...
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    i'm not sure I will get it, but it is times like these that i'm glad I bought the lifetime updates.

How did you managed to get lifetime updates?
    •All Sony Clie's
    •Sony Ericsson P900
    •Sony Ericsson Z600
    •Treo650 Unlocked w/2GB SD card
    •Treo680 Unlocked (Graphite) w/8GB SD card
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vlad92 View Post
    How did you managed to get lifetime updates?
    If you bought the deluxe version several years ago (about the time the treo 600 first came out).
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    I'm enjoying the free trial ..but..hoping it wont be necessary . Seems like the apple might soon be falling from the tree! With iTunes , i Cal , iTv , Address Book , iPhoto , iCarrumba ! iCan dream ! http://palmaddict.typepad.com/palmad..._iphone_c.html
    http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/...14214915.shtml
    It looks like they are offering a free update to those who purchased the pTunes Deluxe 3.xx on or after Oct. 15, 2006. Too bad my 2+ year loyalty doesnt mean much!

One improvement that I have been waiting for is the inclusion of Artist & Album info in ONE screen (Choose Songs screen) and it isnt mentioned...is it still the same UI as 3.1.8?? That would make it a worthwhile upgrade to me!
    If you have a 680 memory isnt a problem. This upgrade is a no brainer, album art, most of us use the 5 way nav and not the screen to FF, Rewind or Play or Stop- so small controls.... BLAH. AAC support, Internet Radio streams built in and upgradable. YEAH BUDDY.....
    GO Ptunes
    I've found pTunes 4 has a lot of interference with my Treo. I run ChatterEmail, so I thought it might be wireless interference from Chatter running in the background. But I 'shut down and disconnect'(ed) Chatter, and still I get the buzz/interference when listneing to music w. pTunes.

Anyone know how to make this stop so I can just listen to music?

Thanks,

-jl-
    Looks like album art and AAC are one of the main reasons for upgrading. Here is what I asked in their Yahoo groups:

> Will skins for 3.1.8 work with ver 4.0?
    >
    > Also, what are the reasons to upgrade for someone (like me) who
    > doesn't use AAC or album art?
    >
    > Are you planning to add streaming of Windows Media?

Dave (from Normsoft) replied:

> Yes, your skins from previous versions will work on Pocket Tunes 4.
    >
    > We are always considering other streaming formats but we do not
    > release our plans for the future so I cannot comment on any particular
    > format and whether we will or will not support it, sorry.
    >
    > However one thing to consider with this release is that in addition to
    > playback of AAC files, we added playback of AAC streams. This is a big
    > deal because you can get very good sound quality at a much lower bitrate.
    >
    > What does that mean? It means that an AAC stream at 64KBPS can achieve
    > a sound quality equal to an MP3 stream at 128K. Even 44KBPS streams
    > are very good. That means far less buffering and STEREO at lower
    > bitrates!!
    >
    > Some of us suffer from data connections that are on the slow side (On
    > my 680, I can't stream higher than 64K in my area with the wireless
    > provider I have). With AAC you can now access far more stereo stations
    > on the slower data lines and the signal is much steadier because of
    > the lower bitrate.
    >
    > So I understand that you may not feel AAC is worthwhile but Pocket
    > Tunes 4 comes with over 500 stations pre-installed. Many of those
    > stations are in AAC format so you can download a trial version of
    > Pocket Tunes 4 and give it a try.

Unfortunately, I have many gigabytes of mp3's ripped from my CD's. I don't know if it is worth ripping them again or converting mp3's to AAC's.

I'm not going to upgrade until streaming WMA is added (as some of my radio stations use WMA). I have Kinoma 4, but I like pTunes UI/skins better.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Does anyone know where Ogg stands against AACPlus for streaming? It beats mp3, but not sure about AACPlus. I did a quick google and there's just too many references out there to find something useful.

Crap, nevermind, PTunes won't stream ogg. There's a lot more ogg streaming stations out there than AACPlus. If they add OGG Streaming, I'm on board. Otherwise, keep your 2150k footprint 'upgrade' to yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Does anyone know where Ogg stands against AACPlus for streaming? It beats mp3, but not sure about AACPlus. I did a quick google and there's just too many references out there to find something useful.

Crap, nevermind, PTunes won't stream ogg. There's a lot more ogg streaming stations out there than AACPlus. If they add OGG Streaming, I'm on board. Otherwise, keep your 2150k footprint 'upgrade' to yourself.
    Are you serious that PTunes needs 2.1MB of RAM? Aeroplayer needs 202K and never skips or has playback problems.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    Are you serious that PTunes needs 2.1MB of RAM? Aeroplayer needs 202K and never skips or has playback problems.
    Does Aeroplayer support AVRCP using SAG like pTunes?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast