Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 131
  1.    #1  
    As I mentioned in another thread, I did some tinkering to get TomTom Navigator 6 working on the 680 I received at work this morning. I'm sure that TomTom still believe that the reason it doesn't work is due to Palm having done something wrong, but I can assure you the support staff who say that are just remarkably ill-informed as all that is needed to fix their software is to add a new device identifier to the supported list.

    So here are five easy steps to follow and achieve what TomTom support probably wont get round to doing for another month or so * :

    1. Mount your SD card (via CardExport or similar) so that the files are available to you in Windows or Mac OS X.
    2. Fire up your favourite hex editor. I recommend 0xED for the Mac (free) or HEdit for Windows (free).
    3. Open "/tomtom/Munich.bin" from your SD card in the hex editor.
    4. Goto offset 295D0C and find near there the bytes "rpsh201H", change to "mlaP350D".
    5. Goto offset 2BBD1A and find near there the bytes "650", change to "680".


    * Palm and TomTom have now released a fix! : http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/gps_nav.html : [Direct link to patch]

    As people are noticing different offsets, an update with the various details for munich.bin:
    Size:2,963,184 Ver:6.030(8270)Euro - Palm patched version. <tomtastic> (5-way nav working)
    Size:2,895,948 Ver:6.010(7630)Euro - Offsets 295D0C and 2BBD1A. <tomtastic> (5-way nav working)
    Size:2,895,256 Ver:6.010(7630)USA - Offsets 295A48 and 2BBA5E. <moderateinny> (5-way not working)
    Size:2,895,256 Ver:6.000(7370)USA - Offsets 295A48 and 2BBA60. <TreoDallasSteve> (5-way not working)
    Size:2,895,948 Ver:6.010(????)USA - Offsets 295D0C and 2BBD1A. <darylh> (Only up/down nav work)
    Last edited by tomtastic; 02/22/2007 at 07:28 AM. Reason: updating from the thread.
  2. #2  
    Proof friggin' positive that TomTom is to blame for this and their lazy programmers. VERY NICE JOB INDEED.
    Last edited by moderateinny; 12/14/2006 at 04:17 PM.
  3. #3  
    This does work! I just tried it and sure enough TT6 is now running on my Treo 680. Thanks tomtastic for your help with this.
  4. #4  
    Does TT6 "speak" the street names ? What does 6 do that 5 doesn't? Do they have an upgrade program?
  5. juancuero's Avatar
    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    #5  
    Yep. DeviceID OEMHALID.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd View Post
    Does TT6 "speak" the street names ? What does 6 do that 5 doesn't? Do they have an upgrade program?
    I don't think it speaks the street names. And in typical TomTom fashion, the upgrade path is non-existent from TT5 to TT6. In my case, I ended up selling TT5 on EBay and buying TT6 - the type of upgrade TomTom just loves.

    I did find a glitch with this and have written tomtastic. On my unit the left/right and select buttons on the 5-way do not work. The touchscreen works fine though so it is still very useable. So I don't know if the app calls a different driver or something for the older 650 (the model he changed in the munich.bin file) and/or if perhaps replacing the 700p would yield different results since its 5-way is much the same as the 680. Dunno. Pure speculation on my part here....
  7. #7  
    How could you sell TT5? Doesn't it use a 1 time use registration code tied to your specific device.
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    I don't think it speaks the street names. And in typical TomTom fashion, the upgrade path is non-existent from TT5 to TT6. In my case, I ended up selling TT5 on EBay and buying TT6 - the type of upgrade TomTom just loves.

    I did find a glitch with this and have written tomtastic. On my unit the left/right and select buttons on the 5-way do not work. The touchscreen works fine though so it is still very useable. So I don't know if the app calls a different driver or something for the older 650 (the model he changed in the munich.bin file) and/or if perhaps replacing the 700p would yield different results since its 5-way is much the same as the 680. Dunno. Pure speculation on my part here....
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd View Post
    How could you sell TT5? Doesn't it use a 1 time use registration code tied to your specific device.
    Apparently not. The guy was very happy with it. I just went into the "My Products" section when I logged into TomTom and deleted my product code for TT5. I don't recall having to call TomTom or anything else.

    BTW - a one-time registration code would be outrageous if that were their true intent. But if it is true, it certainly is very enforceable from what I've experienced.

    Before the Navigator stuff I had one of the original TomTom portable devices (I think they are still promising map upgrades for it 5 years later ) and had no issues with it either.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
    So here are five easy steps to follow and achieve what TomTom support probably wont get round to doing for another month or so :
    1. Mount your SD card (via CardExport or similar) so that the files are available to you in Windows or Mac OS X.
    2. Fire up your favourite hex editor. I recommend 0xED for the Mac (free) or HEdit for Windows (free).
    3. Open "/tomtom/Munich.bin" from your SD card in the hex editor. (File size is 2,895,948 from TTN6 version 6.010)
    4. Search for offset 295D0C and change the bytes "rpsh201H" to "mlaP350D".
    5. Search for offset 2BBD1A and change the byte "5" to "8".
    What I've done here is to change the Treo650 identifier to be the correct one for the Treo680, so understandably it will stop TTN6 from working on a 650, but then why go back to an older model now you have the shiny new one...
    (You could easily pick another model identifier to update, for instance there are Zire's, 700p's and even the Treo600 listed, but it's left as an exercise for the reader to do that if they choose.)
    TomTastic, you are the man!

    On my TomTom 6, my offsets where not exactly the same for some reason. If anyone else has different offsets, try a minor variation on TomTastics instructions:

    1) First make sure to make a backup copy of the munich.bin (copy to 650munich.bin).

    2) Use your hex editor and search for "650", You should find two places where it the 650 shows up next to "Treo", change both the "5"'s to "8"s.

    3) Search for "rpsh201H" and replace with "mlaP350D".

    This worked for me. Thanks again TomTastic, my 680 has now reached the level of best smart-phone EVER.
  10. #10  
    I called them about that. You get ONE reinstall per license code just as you described and that's it if you switch devices again. The code on the card gets activated using your "device ID" they generate upon install.


    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    Apparently not. The guy was very happy with it. I just went into the "My Products" section when I logged into TomTom and deleted my product code for TT5. I don't recall having to call TomTom or anything else.

    BTW - a one-time registration code would be outrageous if that were their true intent. But if it is true, it certainly is very enforceable from what I've experienced.

    Before the Navigator stuff I had one of the original TomTom portable devices (I think they are still promising map upgrades for it 5 years later ) and had no issues with it either.
  11.    #11  
    I had suspected the offsets in Munich.bin might differ between the UK and US.

    Are your versions of TTN6 the same as mine (App version 6.010 (7630)), and do the filesizes of Munich.bin differ too ?

    Glad to see it works for you
  12. #12  
    The app version matches for me. Thanks.

    Are either one of you able to use the 5-way control? Again, my left/right/select does not work in TT6 - but I can use up/down buttons as well as touchscreen just fine.
  13. ediamond's Avatar
    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    #13  
    you get two activations on the first activation code. Any activations thereafter must have a code generated for it. To get a code you just call tomTom and they will give you one. I have done it several times and they have been helpful.

    I have been told by them on several occasions that they will be running TomTom 6 at a special upgrade price for owners of TomTom 5 once they start shipping the software proper...I guess the product that is out there now is a special Palm version.
  14. #14  
  15. #15  
    I have also found if you wait a few months, you will be able to activate on a third device.
  16. #16  
    Is anyone getting the "out of DBCache memory" error message?
  17. #17  
    Thanks, works fine!!!
    Unlocked GSM 680
  18. treoluv's Avatar
    Posts
    254 Posts
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    #18  
    Never mind
    Last edited by treoluv; 12/16/2006 at 10:15 PM.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by swedenliketreo View Post
    Thanks, works fine!!!
    Can you tell me if your 5-way works with TT6? Particular the left/right and select buttons?

    Thx
  20. treoluv's Avatar
    Posts
    254 Posts
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    #20  
    5-way (left/right and select buttons) works.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions