1.    #1  
    I've complained about this before, but the problem still comes up periodically on my Sprint Treo 700p.

At times, when I press the Web icon, I get the white screen of death for a good long 15 seconds or so, followed by the whole soft reset thing. Entire process lasts a good long 45 to 60 seconds of simplying waiting until I can use the device again.

I've both tried checking and unchecking the "clear cache on exit" function in the Preference screen, but this doesn't seem to help reliably.

Anyone have ideas? Thanks, Casey
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    I get the same thing. It is the most serious problem I have with my Sprint 700P. It doesn't happen every time, but something like every other time, or every 2nd time and it is a major PITA!

Sorry I don't have a solution for you, but at least you know you are not the only one. I have seen it posted here before as well, so we are not alone.

Cheers.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Sergeant, USMC
    keep your cache cleared.its under prefs?advanced in blazer.also if you use a backup program...then do a soft reset after each backup.these two things can help make this major problem into a very minor nuisance...not perfect but it works
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by andylivingston View Post
    also if you use a backup program...then do a soft reset after each backup.these two things can help make this major problem into a very minor nuisance...not perfect but it works
    I second that advice, I use NVBackup and have the program reset after it makes a backup, this works reasonably well to keep my treo700 running smoothly.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    I get the white screen once in a while. As long as it only lasts 10-15 seconds, I am OK with it.
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
    I just cleared the Cache and had 1.2 Meg of files. All clear now.
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
    i call that a bug! It happens to us all i think.... and I clear the cache and reset regularly, but it still lags
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    I have this problem as well, but oddly, it ONLY occurs the very first time I try to connect to the web (other programs like chatter have no issue) in the morning. I have a data connection just fine, but I get 30 sec of white screen that first time only. Cleared the cache and cookies to no avail...
    Quote Originally Posted by ink883 View Post
    I second that advice, I use NVBackup and have the program reset after it makes a backup, this works reasonably well to keep my treo700 running smoothly.
    Does NVBackup have a reset option or are you using another app to force the reset after backup?
    the 30 second lag upon entering blazer in the morning is due to the backup program wreaking havoc with the "dbcache".a soft reset each morning avoids this problem by clearing the "dbcache".manually clearing the "blazer cache " helps to limit the 5 second lag when entering blazer during daily regular usage.2 different workarounds for 2 different issues.the caches are different.i wouldn't check the"clear cache on exit" as this causes a lag when exiting blazer.the person who explains this all the best is a forum member named Ben....thats where I picked up these little tricks...they seem to work for me..good luck
    I agree, the "white screen of lag" is when PalmOS is clearing the dbcache. A built-in cache manager didn't exist on the 650 and the limited dbCache (and total memory) size was a major problem for many of us. That was one of the main reasons I went to the 700p. Ironically, they added a cache manager but >doubled the dbCache size which should've almost eliminated the need for a cache manager.

The annoying thing is that file access is slower on the 700p so the lag is much longer than when I used to use dbCacheTool or MemoryInfo to manually clear the cache on the 650. In addition, there seem to be circumstances when a dbCache clear causes the soft reset (and sometimes lost preferences as well).

Since backup tools access every file on the Treo, they can fill up dbCache quickly which can lead to the unexpected soft reset. This isn't a sales pitch, but Resco Backup was specifically designed to avoid this problem and I personally have never had it with BackupBuddyVFS.

If you want to read more, see this wiki article
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    This "White Screen of Boredom" (WSB) problem occurs on the 650 too, the first time I try to start Blazer after a soft reset. (Note that soft resets don't help, they CAUSE the problem.) I use BackupBuddyVFS and it has no effect on the WSB. I'm on Verizon, and it started only after upgrading (if you can call it that...) to ROM version 1.05. Perhaps this ROM has a "feature" in common with the 700p ROM. Strangely (or maybe not strangely), the problem goes away when I have too many apps installed and free RAM is low. I can prevent the WSB by doing a "Flush DBCache" in MemInfo, but that takes much longer (about 2 min.) than just suffering through Blazer's WSB.

Note to self: why I needed the 1.05 ROM upgrade...?