Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    I am considering delving into ebooks and wonder what they look like on screen.

Is there a screenshot somewhere?

Also, as I have never attempted using ebooks before, is it just a matter of going to palm gear and downloading one or do I have to have some other software first?

thanks
    Some have pictures, some do not have pictures. It would be safe to say they look like plain old text files. As for downloading the reader, I would go to eReader.com and download the regular reader - as for ebooks, there are scads and scads of places to look; eReader.com is a good place to start at. Ben

Ben
    www.ereader.com

Ebooks are great. Always with you.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Go to mobipocket.com and get the free mobipocket reader. Then take yourself over to baen.com, go to the free library, and download a book for free. If you like sci fi or fantasy, then odds are you will even find a book you want to read. I used to spend $30-$50 a month on books at b&N but now read almost exclusivly on my treo via mobipocket...now i spend $10-$20 a month on books from fictionwise, baen and others as well as spend time on newsgroups to get my reading material.
    They look like pdf or txt files.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    what format do you download for the mobipocket reader?
    190 Posts
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    Thanks to all for the thoughtful and helpful replies. That gives me a good place to start.
    I had my doubts about the small screen, but found I adapted instantly. Its just as fast as reading a paperback, and much more convenient. I can read at night, when we travel,without a light on while my wife sleeps. Instead of your eyes scanning the pages, the pages change before the fixed visual point.

I still like books, but this gives me a perfectly viable option...I don't feel as if I'm missing something.

NOW...how do we go about swapping books with each other when we're done with them like you do with real books (which cost the same)? Just like buying a DVD (which is also just a bunch of 1s and 0s) and letting a friend borrow it. If we have to pay book prices, we should be able to treat them like books. Ever been to a hostel...leave a book, take a book.
    Last edited by jeffandpamsmith; 12/16/2006 at 02:26 PM.