1.    #1  
    i recently purchased a unlocked treo 650. i love the phone. my only gripe with it is that it will periodically reset itselfs. kind of annoying. has anyone else experience this problem? if so is there a fix? thanks in advance
  2.    #2  
    also like i said i JUST got this phone. i have yet to load any thirdparty software or anything. all i have done was sync the phone to my computer to back it up and to add some new contacts.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Welcome to TC.

I recently updated from the 600 to the 650 and because I was travelling when I received it, there was was about a month before I added any 3rd party software (possibly a record??) and I too had many resets in that period (and many more since I added a load of stuff).

From what I've read the 650 has a tendency toward instability because of its use of the virtual file system NVFS. This provides other advantages (e.g. much better battery life) but doesnt help with stability. In my case, it also seems to make recognition of SD cards more chancy.

There is a good if somewhat technical discussion of instability due to NVFS and 3rd party software here. I dont know if NVFS is meant to make the Treo less stable BEFORE 3rd part software is added. Maybe someone else can give you advice on whether this indicates that the device itself actually has some defect and needs to be returned. I never really thought of that, and since I bought mine on eBay, and from another country, it wasn't really an option.

Following the advice in the above link I have since been using Reset Doctor together with the freeware program PalmInternals and this has reduced resets a lot. Reset Doctor also saves and automatically restores your Preferences file (e.g. program registration details) during a reset. Some resets cause this file to be corrupted and you then need to re-enter a lot of information/settings for various progs. Much more annoying than just a simple reset!

Resets are something that Treo users live with I guess, the price we seem willing to pay for the complexity of the device. Resets can be very frequent in the period when you are "setting up" your treo, but once you have settled on a set of programs, and ironed out the "bugs", resets tend to be much less of an issue.

Good luck!

geoff
    Quote Originally Posted by IWearMyKswiss View Post
    also like i said i JUST got this phone. i have yet to load any thirdparty software or anything. all i have done was sync the phone to my computer to back it up and to add some new contacts.
    Did you have a prior PalmOS device?
    Did you directly sync to that userid?

If so:
    http://treo.discuss.treocentral.com/...ad.php?t=99450

(Settings corruption can occur from any prior device -- not just the 600.)

Cheers, Perry.
    Make sure you have the latest firmware. My 650 is very stable.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    Make sure you have the latest firmware. My 650 is very stable.

since i have an unlocked treo, would upgrading the firmware lock my treo again? because i bought the treo unlocked. i didnt unlock it myself so im scared to do anything because i dont know how to unlock the treo myself
  7. gw1
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    One other thing you may want to try is turning off Bluetooth - whenever I log into my Windows desktop (or use it to connect to another machine via Remote Desktop), my desktop connects to my treo via bluetooth in such a way that causes it to reset.

Of course if you do this bluetoothe cannot be used ...