1.    #1  
    Good day all,

I do realize that the 680 currently is available to work on one or two USA companies systems, (Cingular, for one). However, will the 680 come out in models that will work with other firms. I ask this as I am not to crazy about Cingular, they seem to fall out low on consmers union and pc mag customer service tests. Althought I currently am with Sprint and they are at the bottom of all customer service comparisions and for GOOD REASON!

Therefore, it would be great if Palm deciddd to make versiosn of the 680 for other firms. The 700 is also an option, however, I would really like to lose the antenna.

Thanks for any input an denjoy the holidays, take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    You could buy an unlocked 680 that you could use with any GSM provider since it is a quad band GSM device...
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Good day all,

I do realize that the 680 currently is available to work on one or two USA companies systems, (Cingular, for one). However, will the 680 come out in models that will work with other firms. I ask this as I am not to crazy about Cingular, they seem to fall out low on consmers union and pc mag customer service tests. Althought I currently am with Sprint and they are at the bottom of all customer service comparisions and for GOOD REASON!

Therefore, it would be great if Palm deciddd to make versiosn of the 680 for other firms. The 700 is also an option, however, I would really like to lose the antenna.

Thanks for any input an denjoy the holidays, take care, Jay

Hey Jay!!

I know you have asked this (or similar) question in other forums, but hopefully this will help. You can buy an unlocked Treo 680 from Palm (Online or Retail) in any of the colors, and use it on any available GSM network. In the US, the Main GSM Carriers are Cingular and T-mobile. The unlocked Treo 680 will also work on the many GSM carriers, in Europe - UK, France, Australia and many other countries.

Sprint and Verizon, which are CDMA carriers, will not offer the Treo 680 anytime soon (if ever), because CDMA is a different radio (Type of phone technology - as I know you like to avoid the tech stuff from reading your other posts).

If you are looking for a Carrier (cell phone company) that will subsidize the Treo 680 for you (offer the Treo 680 at a reduced price with a 1 or 2 year cell phone voice and data plan), currently your only option is Cingular. I have been a long time Cingular customer, and feel that they have very good customer service, and competitive rates YMMV. As a power user who is also a Road Warrior, I get consistent signal all over the country with very few dropped calls.

Will the Treo 680 be offered by T-Mobile? - I have no idea, but from reading these forums and the opinions of the T-mobile customers, they have said it is doubtful, but I will let people more familiar with T-Mobile speak to that.

So, I think for the foreseeable future, your options are:

1) Unlocked Purchase from Palm - buy service plan from Cingular or T-Mobile here and use on any GSM carrier worldwide.

2) Subsidized (Locked) Purchase from Cingular with 1 or 2 year agreement, which will lower your purchase price, but lock you into an agreement, and your phone will have a Cingular Logo, and be "Locked" to work on their network.

I hope this helps...you have a great Holiday as well!!!
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    Don't forget Alltel Wireless. I believe they are GSM and have been gaining popularity the past few months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    Don't forget Alltel Wireless. I believe they are GSM and have been gaining popularity the past few months.
    Alltel does have GSM coverage in some areas, but only to serve roamers from other carriers; Alltel does not sell GSM service, only CDMA, to its own customers.

-SC
    "Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might be a law against it by that time." -/usr/games/fortune
    Quote Originally Posted by MattM2G View Post
    Sprint and Verizon, which are CDMA carriers, will not offer the Treo 680 anytime soon (if ever)
    680 GSM = 700p CDMA (more or less)

Will the Treo 680 be offered by T-Mobile? - I have no idea, but from reading these forums and the opinions of the T-mobile customers, they have said it is doubtful
    Highly doubtful.

-SC
    "Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might be a law against it by that time." -/usr/games/fortune
  7.    #7  
    Hi, thank you all for your help. Last time I asked if it the 680 would work on carriers other than cingular. This time I wanted to know if palm was going to make it for other carriers. I think I will end up getting a 700 p and leaving Sprint, which frankly would do me just fine. Thanks all, take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group