Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Since it seems there's a problem with the battery (or battery meter) on the 680, it would make sense to (at least once) fully run down the battery before performing a full charge. However, with an unreliable battery meter and the constant low battery warning popups, this is quite a chore to do.

My battery is definitely in need of a full discharge cycle as once I take it off the charger, immediately it displays a 91% charge.

My question is, is there any app that turns the treo on, and disables the warning popup until the battery fully runs down?
    Treo 680 Graphite, Unlocked GSM (FW: MW01.50 | SW: TREO680-1.04-ROW | HW: A)
    It is bad for Li-ion batteries to be discharged.

Chargers are not always reliable when it comes to fully charging the batteries. I found this to be true of the Seidio chargers. I'd trust the charger on the Treo more than 3rd party chargers.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    The treo won't let the battery really fully discharge. It will automatically shutdown when the voltage gets dangerously low. (You don't want the battery to get lower than some set voltage as it then become very difficult to recharge.) When I wanted to deep cycle, I basically turned on ptunes, bluetooth, and anything else I could do (Chatter, causerie, etc.), then turned off the speaker and waited.
    2 full discharges until it shut itself down in 2 days. Went from 20% remaining after a 10 hour day to todays' 77% after 11 hours. Now this is what battery use is supposed to be like. Very happy now...
    Do not fully discharge li-ion batteries. It could 'cause them to short themselves. To calibrate your battery, just fully charge it in your 680 (charge at least 8 hours). Once it is fully charged do a hard reset with the battery still in the 680 and with the 680 still plugged into its charger.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
    Do not fully discharge li-ion batteries. It could 'cause them to short themselves. To calibrate your battery, just fully charge it in your 680 (charge at least 8 hours). Once it is fully charged do a hard reset with the battery still in the 680 and with the 680 still plugged into its charger.
    Dumb question here:

How do you do a hard reset with the battery still in the 680? Since there's no reset button, I thought that the only way is to remove the battery?
    Dunno. I didn't know you had to take the battery out to access the reset button. I guess a soft reset will have to do.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Dunno. I didn't know you had to take the battery out to access the reset button. I guess a soft reset will have to do.
    Hehehe, well, unfortunately there's no reset button. So *any* sort of reset (hard, soft, warm, etc.) seems to require removing the battery.

I'm not sure why Palm removed the reset button. My 680 has been very stable so far, but I've needed a few resets already, and having to take off the back and pluck the button out is a bit of a pain.
    the conflicting methods continue - wish Palm would just test them all out and tell us which one is best!
    Quote Originally Posted by no_basho View Post
    Hehehe, well, unfortunately there's no reset button. So *any* sort of reset (hard, soft, warm, etc.) seems to require removing the battery.
    mReset

-SC
    "Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might be a law against it by that time." -/usr/games/fortune
    something tells me you don't have a 680 - only resets rumoured to work to increase battery life by 680 owners on here is a hard one!
    Nope. I don't have a 680, but that's how I've calibrated my battery on every other Treo I've owned.

So how do you do a hard reset on a 680 anyway?
    Nope. I don't have a 680, but that's how I've calibrated my battery on every other Treo I've owned.

So how do you do a hard reset on a 680 anyway?
    You hold down the end button, while you remove the battery.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post
    2 full discharges until it shut itself down in 2 days. Went from 20% remaining after a 10 hour day to todays' 77% after 11 hours. Now this is what battery use is supposed to be like. Very happy now...
    Sounds like a fix!

Care to post the exact steps of your deep charge-cycling method?

Do you charge immediately after the battery runs down (screen turns off and doesn't turn on even when you press the power button) or do you wait for a few minutes more?

Do you let the 680 charge without interruptions until it is fully charged?

How many hours in total do you leave it charged?
    People, listen: You are not supposed to fully run down lithium ion batteries. You are supposed to keep them topped off.
  16.    #16  
    People, listen: You are not supposed to fully run down lithium ion batteries. You are supposed to keep them topped off.
    That statement is true provided the battery is "fully activated" and the charge meter correctly calibrated.

The practice of fully discharging the battery is so that the meter gets calibrated correctly and the battery cells activated fully. Once this is done, then normal lithium maintenance practice applies.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by rudychow View Post
    That statement is true provided the battery is "fully activated" and the charge meter correctly calibrated.

The practice of fully discharging the battery is so that the meter gets calibrated correctly and the battery cells activated fully. Once this is done, then normal lithium maintenance practice applies.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
    I believe you are correct. A couple sources corroborating that:

- IBM/Lenovo on their website recommend 3 deep discharge cycles to recalibrate notebook li-ion batteries that have been in storage and have lost calibration.
    - batteryuniversity.com recommends a once a month deep discharge to keep li-ions calibrated.

But outside of that, it is best to keep li-ion batteries topped off when using.

G
    The treo will NOT LET YOU FULLY DISCHARGE the battery. It shuts down well above the critical voltage that shorts out the batteries. When people speak of running their batteries down, they are running until the meter shows 0 and the treo shuts off. Again, that is at a voltage well above the short circuit voltage. Running the treo until it shuts down on it's own will not hurt it. (Continually running it until 'empty' will shorten the life somewhat though)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post
    +1
    I did the same thing and got the same results. I just streamed a radio station for about an hour and the battery would die, on the third day I played a streaming station for 2 hours and still had 60+% battery so I just called it good to go.
    Just used Bejeweled to knock down the battery. Leaving MMPlayer running a movie should also knock down the battery quickly.

Besides the usual 6-9%/per hr drain, I also bought a spare battery because I travel a lot. Looks like I'm going to be playing a lot of games/movies to "ensure proper calibration"

Will post results soon.
    "That's right Ice-man, I am dangerous"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast