Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Bob-C, thank you for all your hard work and followthrough on this process. Having made several valiant attempts myself over the past few years to personally discuss these sorts of issues with Palm staff, I know how much energy you've expended on their behalf.

And the fact that Palm actually called YOU as a followup gives me very strong indications that they may (cross your fingers) be finally changing their tune in dealing with their customers.

Palm's prior mode was continually denying there are problems and blaming the messengers (you should see my email exchange from the early days of the 650 release where the engineers deny that there's any difference in the memory between the 600-650!). Maybe they are "getting" that perhaps sometimes the people who use their devices every day have some valid feedback on obvious issues needing addressing.

I dream of a not-too-far-off future where instead of solely having yuppies over at the Carriers tell them that they just need a "green" and a "red" button and it'll be perfect - Palm will put their potential device into the hands of a few of the users who frequent these forums for feedback.

If Palm can release a device that makes us proud - then the "average" user will be more than satisfied. But if they only design to the lowest specs they can - and think they can shine on users about "little" problems that "only powerusers will notice" - you can bet Treocentral will continue to require endless bandwidth to discuss workarounds for hardware buttons, insufficent RAM, resets, pop-out SD cards, reset holes, battery life, lost BT connections, lockups, lag........

And it's not too farfetched to believe those "average" users might just do a little research about Treos before investing hundreds of dollars more than the price of an average good cell phone on one - and soon know what Palm didn't want them to know.
    Last edited by Joad; 12/24/2006 at 03:42 PM.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Bob>>>> I would also like to personally thank you for your diligent effort in trying to get Palm to be held accountably for ongoing problems, us the consumer continues to have with our 700pís.

Furthermore, Iím not into agreement with the definition Palm chooses to use comparing specific users as ďAverage-usersĒ or ďPower-usersĒ. Personally I use close to 4,000 cellular minís per month, average close to 500 e-mails a month, and couldnít even begin to count all the text / sms messages used throughout the month. I do not think it makes a different how much data and telephone calls you make. Palm users are not buying a cheap pda, as a matter of fact we are buying one of the most expensive one on the market, and it should work perfectly for all.

I still continually use my Blackberry, and I will attest to the facts, which are; it NEVER locks-up, and you NEVER have to soft / hard re-set it. It is for sure different than my Palm, and itís lacking in multimedia enhancements, but simple, common, software operations are smooth and effortless.

Hopefully Palm will finally take the opinion of itís consumers to heart, and fix the ongoing, badgering problems that come free with a 600 dollar pda.

Merry Christmas & Have A Happy & Safe New Year !!!

Matt
    I did allude to my exception of that "power user" statement when I talked to Steve.

I said that I did not know what Palm considered to be a significant number of users but that we have over 400 reporting these issues on Treocentral. I mentioned that elected officials usually consider each single letter to be equal to ten persons who feel the same way but don't bother to write. So that Palm should think about how many those 400 really equate to. Then also factor in how many of those are consultants and IT managers affecting sales.

I provided an example of my having talked to a KPMG partner who wanted to hammer his IT dept for deciding not to upgrade their 650's to 700's. I then visually showed him the difference in lag between our phones & explained that his bluetooth car kit, which he depends on, may no longer work if he upgraded. He then decided to no longer pursue overturning his IT dept's decision.

Hopefully it impressed upon Steve that these issues greatly affect sales on far more than just a few "power users".
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    I think that one of the issues here is that Palm has stopped considering Power Users and corporate sales to be as much of a priority as mainstream consumer sales. Perhaps this is due to a belief that the current version of their OS could never compete with the Blackberry in the corporate world or due to the fact that power users have begun to shun the Treo in favor of more feature loaded devices. In a way this could just be Palm's way of being realistic about their strengths and weaknesses given the current situation with the PalmOS.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Palm's response about the power user was an evasion. You addressed that PERFECTLY by telling them of your IT's position on the 700p, Bob-C. Once again, commendations on a fine job.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Global Posts
    738 Global Posts
    Any new information on this?
    I am using a 700p from Telus. can someone tell me what their (USA) version of 700p is?

Can anyone tell me if the version of the software is "Treo700p-1.40-CDMA"? Go to the phone dialer, press menu and Options, Phone Info.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I installed a new desk top in the office and was unable to hotsync. i called service today, was pushed up to tech support and they then said i had to call a different number. i called and it was a higher level of Sprint support.
    We spent aout an hour and a half on the phone, deleted and reinstalled the palm s/w three times, etc etc, but finally he got it working.
    while waiting during one of those long wait times, I asked about a firmware upgrade. he told me ( with no hesitation) that it is being worked on and should be ready by the summer. Further conversation revealed that
    sprint was aware of the bluetooth issues and that was the thrust of the upgrade. The main problem ( he said) is that there are no standards for bluetooth and thus the poor usage.

i had the feeling that he was an honest employee and not b.sing. Now i can look forward to summer

Mike
    i
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kocoman View Post
    I am using a 700p from Telus. can someone tell me what their (USA) version of 700p is?

Can anyone tell me if the version of the software is "Treo700p-1.40-CDMA"? Go to the phone dialer, press menu and Options, Phone Info.
    on my vzw software version: Treo700p-1.06-VZW
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb41g View Post
    IThe main problem ( he said) is that there are no standards for bluetooth and thus the poor usage.
    I have a hard time with this 'lax standard' in regards to BT. I spent almost two years in the UK/Europe from '03-'05. BT was aleady rampant there while it was just starting to pick up momentum over here in the States. I never had any issues with Sony/Ericson or other phones or headsets using BT. In fact many Euorpean cars had BT + SIM card integration and no one I knew ever complained about pairing issues or anything like what we are seeing with the Treo.

Ah, what the heck do I know....
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb41g View Post
    i had the feeling that he was an honest employee and not b.sing. Now i can look forward to summer
    Um, in checking my caledar, it's still the dead of Winter. Summer is more than six months off. I'll have an iPhone by then. I used to absolutely love Palm and now I can't wait to never buy another one of their half-baked products again.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I really need a reliable machine. i will use it for phone and rollodesk and appointment book. the rest is play.

The treo will be my primary phone and only phone for work.

I need to know if the machine is really a work horse or just a play toy.

Which should I buy given the above requirements

Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by tungsten View Post
    I really need a reliable machine.
    I find it very reliable, but YMMV. I suggest you get one and try it thoroughly before the return period runs out. If it doesn't meet your needs, get something else. No amount of opinion here will be able to make the ultimate decision for you. How frequently will you be able to charge the device?
    Tungsten,
    It sounds like you're looking to use the core apps. The Treos appear to be most reliable when you don't add 3rd party software, though there are several fine software packages out there if you do decide to 'play'. You should be able to get a good feel for this by browsing the various postings on this site. The thread you've latched onto here does talk about stability and features of the device, but I don't recall complaints about a Treo with only the default applications loaded.
    By the way, if you rely (or would like to rely) on a bluetooth headset or handsfree device, be sure to test that it works well with the Treo during the same trial period.
    I still love my Treo, even with the issues I've had with the set of applications I use. Good luck!
    Who's flying this thing?
    I really need a reliable machine. i will use it for phone and rollodesk and appointment book. the rest is play.

Thank you
    You mention a workhorse, I'll use the analogy of driving a truck (since I did that im my youth). It's a workhorse/truck/sportcar in that it will do what you want very well if you learn how to use it and know to when and when not to apply the brakes so that you stop and don't spin out. The treo can do a lot more than people who say "don't load 3rd-party apps on it" say it can, but you really have to know the principles about how to diagnose failures in order to get it do do such things reliably (and learn from any such mistakes). If you don't want to take the time to learn these, you can probably use it like an organizer, but in my opinion, then it is not the workhorse it can be. If you train in the Jedi-arts, you will be richly rewarded. Under no circumstances, is the treo a toy.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Steve Sinclair said that the 700p was slower than the 650 and he was right. It's a lot slower.
    But not for everyone -- me for one. My wife has a 650; I have a 700p. I don't get any more lag than she does, and neither of us gets much. I know some people get interminable lags, but I never see that. I get a lag of about 3 to 4 seconds when going to Blazer. Otherwise, app to app is usually a second or two.

I went from 600 to 700p in June, and I've been a very happy camper. I've never needed repairs or tech support; resets are rare, except for Treoalarm, which is ill-behaved on my Treo. (I recently switched to Palmary Wireless Clock, which I've assigned to the green send button -- it's cool so far.) Things mostly just work. If there are a lot of users whose experience is like mine, Sinclair may be telling the truth when he says the user base isn't complaining that much about lag. But I'm sure I'd be fuming if I had the problem on my Treo.
    And I only have a one-second lag going to Blazer. More of a lag leaving because I have it set to clear the cache on exit. There are many of us who have almost no problems (except for Bluetooth; that pretty much sucks for everyone and we're awaiting the fix).
    I just wanted to add to the Positive side of the 700p. My original was a lemon, bad radio and many a reset. My current unit couldn't be more stable. Lag is minimal between programs and it never resets on me unless I initiate it.

Now I don't use the internet on it, which could have a lot to do with how stable it works, as well as no BT. It replaced my old, but very reliable IIIc, and I needed a new phone at the time and I just love it. Plain and simple.

Thank you
    I absolutely rely on my 700P (Sprint) for business every day. I use it heavily for calendaring and email (including using Outlook Web Access-a touch slow, but it works). I get better phone coverage in my office than I did with any prior phone, including my 650 (I work in a very weak signal area.) I've got a couple of dozen 3rd party apps installed, and can't remember the last time I had a spontaneous reset: it's been several weeks, at least.

One caveat: I don't use bluetooth. I think a lot of the instability some people have is related to the bluetooth stack. If that's important to you, maybe the 700 isn't the best bet.

Two caveat: The fact that I have a lot of 3rd party apps installed doesn't mean any and all 3rd party apps will be stable. Two 3rd party apps that work fine alone can interact in ways that cause problems--install one or two apps at a time, and test for a while before installing more. I'd recommend the first app you install be an uninstall program, so if you run into problems you can recover relatively easily. The 2nd program you install should, perhaps, be a backup program. I use BBVFS and have found it very reliable.

Also, if you're coming from another Palm device, DON'T just hotsync all your old programs to it. Make sure you download the latest versions, and install them fresh. Restoring from one Palm device to a Treo is a guaranteed way to have lots of problems.

HTH,
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Possible new information on a 700p patch from PalmAddicts (http://palmaddict.typepad.com/palmad...00p_fix_p.html.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast