Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Is anyone's keyboard letter "u" feels a little softer and with less of a "click" than the rest of the keys?
    I had to check, yes it does seem a bit softer than the other keys. I really never noticed it while I was typing so it does not bother me. Now if it were to stop working, I might have a problem with it. Anyway, just my 2 cents.
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Thanks for letting me know. It works on mine and I am not too worried about it either. I was just wanted to make sure mine is not faulty and will have a bad "u" key soon.
    I hear that. Now that I am aware of it, I will be thinking about it and keeping an eye out for any problems with it.
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
  5. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Speaking of funky hardware, has anybody's Treo started creaking yet? I just noticed a creaking noise in mine.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Yes. It is around the SD card slot. I assume this is due to the compartment lid not being very rigid.
  7. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Mines does it near the bottom left area of the screen. Just a slight squeeze and i hear a little 'creak'. Hopefully this thing won't snowball, because i still dig my 680.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dpc View Post
    Mines does it near the bottom left area of the screen. Just a slight squeeze and i hear a little 'creak'. Hopefully this thing won't snowball, because i still dig my 680.
    Yes, same...I guess this is another "normal" thing...
    My "U" key feels like the other ones. No creaking for me...Yet. I hate the SD slot door. I feel like it will break sooner or later.
    Yes, mine creaks in that same spot as well.... whenever I press the Home key, it creaks.
    I get creaky keys on 'i' and 'l'. its a new problem.

by the way I had a 750 for abit and there the keys were much harder to push, especially one key which often didn't click.
    on mine the R is softer and the IR cover creaks. If anyone has a good site for replacement parts please list it. I don't think 680 parts are available yet, I did find a disassembly video of the 680 seems rather easy.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by petesonline View Post
    on mine the R is softer and the IR cover creaks. If anyone has a good site for replacement parts please list it. I don't think 680 parts are available yet, I did find a disassembly video of the 680 seems rather easy.
    Do you have a link to the video? I am curios to see it. I wonder if the "creaks" and "soft" keys are due to poor assembly rather than design.
    No problem with my u, but I do have the creak when I press the red power button.
    I don't notice a substantive difference in the pressure or reaction from the U key versus keys around it. As for creaking, no I haven't had that occur yet. I have noticed though that there is a bit of flex in the plastic between the green/red keys and the display. Perhaps this is where the creak is coming from?

I have also had to fiddle with the battery door in some cases too. Seems that if it's not seated just so it leaves pretty nasty edge exposed where your hands support the Treo while typing. I do like the change in how it snaps in though... seems more solid than the 650 was in this area. I used to have to keep a bit of a business card between the battery and the 650 battery door to keep that bugger from creaking.
    here is the link the the treo 680 disassembly:
    http://www.gethightech.com/Merchant2...tegory_Code=RD